Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Anyone play Kerbal Space Program?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Anyone play Kerbal Space Program?

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 07-03-2012 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's basically an evolved version of those old rocket-building sims you played on your Apple II in monochrome. You build your own rocketship, launch, and fly it as far as you can. Northernlion has done a number of LP's with it if you're interested with how it looks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goTg8l0Y ... plpp_video

Website here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-03-2012 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

amusing video

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-03-2012 11:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks sweet. Not sure how long it stays fun though, if it has some depth on offer. Would be cool if you could fly to the moon and land some astronauts on there :)

edit: looks like you actually can. There's a video on the site showing it. I am sold. And those little green fellows are so adorable.

PostPosted: 07-03-2012 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup, I think the ultimate goal is to land on the... "Mun" and then get back.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-04-2012 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

downloading, looks fun

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-04-2012 10:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah so my first attempt was a rocket that ended up crashing nose first into the ground, never going higher than 200 - 300 meters

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, discovered the T key to activate SAS. Got up to almost 700km now (just a few 100 meters short). Shame the moon, sorry, Mun is 11000 km away.
I saw on the tracking map (hit M) that there's a 3rd celestial body even further away than the Mun. Ah, one can dream.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 04:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh the best part of the game is the spectacular failures.

PostPosted: 07-05-2012 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think my kerbals had proper psych evaluations to handle the stresses of space launches.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're totally honking backwards. Mine have been screaming their brains out when slowly gliding back to the surface while they were happily enjoying the view while plummeting down with half a tonne of booster rockets strapped to their ass.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-22-2012 12:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been messing around with this some more recently. There's a new 0.16 update out which adds the option of EVA's, or "extra-vehicular activity", which is just a fancy term for having your Kerbals do space walks or moon walks (or Kerbin walks if you fancy that). They're equipped with a jetpack so you can float around neatly.

Anyway, I've learned a lot of stuff about space flight and inter-planetary travel. Somewhere before I said I got up as high as 700km which felt like an achievement but god, that is just the totally wrong way to go about it. I've learned about orbits, about periapsis and apoapsis, transfer orbits and how to get your spaceship up in a stable orbit with a small "eccentricity".

While I guess it's not incredibly hard to get a spaceship to the moon, there is a lot of stuff to take into account and quite some physics knowledge required to understand what you're doing.

Oh and the best thing I discovered is that you can build space planes as well, that take off like normal planes, fly through space, and land again. I don't think they're suitable to fly to the moon though.

And if you don't plan on playing this, but would like to experience it, definitely check out Northernlion's set of videos where plays this. He absolutely sucks balls at it and has no clue what he's doing, but it is hilarious.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-22-2012 06:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't get enough of these guys

PostPosted: 08-23-2012 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I've been messing around with this some more recently. There's a new 0.16 update out which adds the option of EVA's, or "extra-vehicular activity", which is just a fancy term for having your Kerbals do space walks or moon walks (or Kerbin walks if you fancy that). They're equipped with a jetpack so you can float around neatly.

Anyway, I've learned a lot of stuff about space flight and inter-planetary travel. Somewhere before I said I got up as high as 700km which felt like an achievement but god, that is just the totally wrong way to go about it. I've learned about orbits, about periapsis and apoapsis, transfer orbits and how to get your spaceship up in a stable orbit with a small "eccentricity".

While I guess it's not incredibly hard to get a spaceship to the moon, there is a lot of stuff to take into account and quite some physics knowledge required to understand what you're doing.

Oh and the best thing I discovered is that you can build space planes as well, that take off like normal planes, fly through space, and land again. I don't think they're suitable to fly to the moon though.

And if you don't plan on playing this, but would like to experience it, definitely check out Northernlion's set of videos where plays this. He absolutely sucks balls at it and has no clue what he's doing, but it is hilarious.

Yes, the game continues further than you'd think, how to do orbits and land on other planets and get back with enough fuel, there's such a plethora of goals you could have in this game. Once you can do rockets, you can try space planes. Really cool idea and I'd like to see it succeed.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-23-2012 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is maneuvering for setting up a trajectory kind of a blase thing or am I missing something? I managed to create a monstrosity that had more than enough juice to get me to the mun, where I crash landed. And what's with the mun's gravity effects not showing up on the trajectory only until you're right on it? I'm basically freeballin all my attempts.

BTW, this makes setting up an orbit seem like a very trivial thing...granted you don't care about details.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-24-2012 12:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Yes, the game continues further than you'd think, how to do orbits and land on other planets and get back with enough fuel, there's such a plethora of goals you could have in this game. Once you can do rockets, you can try space planes. Really cool idea and I'd like to see it succeed.

Over at the forums on the KSP website there's a "challenges" subforum, where people come up with challenging things to do. There's some hilarious challenges in there that actually are quite challenging. It's fun to see.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-24-2012 12:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rofl. Was going to be the perfect landing. And then I fucked it up by accidentally pressing the spacebar instead of the X key when I wanted to shut off my engine... doh!

Hey look! I can see my engine from here :(

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-24-2012 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so I paid the 18 bucks, got the full version and now things make a little more sense with the improved trajectory calculations. This project can just keep expanding out!

I both like and dislike the fictitious solar system. I wonder why they chose to go that route. is our solar system copyrighted ? lul

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-24-2012 10:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it allows them to be a bit looser in how they implement things. People tend to be more critical about unrealistic physical properties when they recreate our solar system. I also think these little aliens and word jokes that come with it are funny. Better than boring old humans.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-24-2012 10:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

word jokes? is there supposed to be sound coming out of them? all I see is 3 little boxes at the bottom with 3 diff. facial expressions.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-24-2012 10:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No I mean like the community using terms such as apokee and perikee instead of apogee and perigee. But you've got to understand where that comes from to enjoy it.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was just about to touch down but my slight horizontal speed tipped it over and destroyed my return plan, lol. but the capsule made it just fine so i took one of 'em out and jetpacked around a bit till I met a rock mid flight at high speed and my kerbal fucking disintegrated or something lol.

I'm guessing there is no way to save progress and then reload in case you mess up?

Also, how do I get more than one kerbal out for a spacewalk? looks like you can't.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can quicksave and load actually. Look up the keys for it in the controls configuration.

My problem is getting an orbit under the right angle. I have no problems setting up an orbit around Kerbin, but it's usually at an incline compared to the Mün's equatorial orbit. Not sure how to rotate the orbit around and axis.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I just realized quick save / quick load are on there :up:

To change angle maybe thrust perpendicular to your current orbit's angle? Like if your orbit line represents x you should thrust towards y... sounds like it would adjust the angle of the orbit in relation to Kerbin's axis.

Also, I can't get it to land on the moon, prolly have an unstable setup since it keeps spinning around its y axis, and throws off my horizontal adjustments. Can't get the damn thing to stop from moving side to side. Are you using a joystick?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared?

apparently my roll axis needed some adjusting, and then it was stable.

now to see if it can lift off and head back :owned:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 11:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, you landed a penis on the moon

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I aimed to please :D

oh btw, it didn't have enough juice to escape the mun's gravity...poor, poor bastards :tear:

the watching eye
the watching eye
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I think it allows them to be a bit looser in how they implement things. People tend to be more critical about unrealistic physical properties when they recreate our solar system.

I also has something to do with scale I believe, as Kerbin is only 600 km (or so) big, and the Mun is 11000 km away, which is a fraction of the distances in our solar system.

PostPosted: 08-25-2012 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
lol, you landed a penis on the moon

:up: well done

p.s. murderer

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx, i haven't checked out any other people's setups, or read any tutorials as to not spoil the agony of defeat, and the joy of success :idea:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You may be able to save 'em. Check YouTube, there's a video from someone that built a ship out of stock parts that can salvage command modules from the Mun :)

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

now that sounds bad ass. I bet it has something to do with using the landing gear as a grip.
I'm really liking this simulator I get excited about all the possibilities. I would like to add my own planets moons etc.. Heck even scatter around stuff you can find by exploring. And since they chose to go the fictional route, there is no limit to how exotic the solar system can get. I might want to look into helping those guys out and adding my own content.

SO I finally made something that would both land , take off and return from the mun. And I also visited Minmus, landed and returned to earth. I really like that Minmus rock. It looks alien. Tiny but with strong surface features. And that teal looking surface to it looked like it could be some kind of liquid, since i never went there before, so I even had a slight sense of exploration when I first landed....and even though it prolly isn't even as far as the real moon is, it really gives you a sense of being out there, all alone, if shit goes wrong you're fucked. Hurdling through space in a tiny capsule , trusting your instruments and calculations (thankfully the hard parts are figured out for you in this) really gives you a sense that whoever is in that capsule is bat shit insane.

Btw do your take off setups look like something out of a "america fuck yeah" tribute?

this bad boy got me to Minmus and back. And what's with solid fuel rockets, they seem worthless in comparison...probably good enough to get something to orbit Kerbal but that's about it.

Anyway I guess my next step is to trim out as much weight and cost as possible from my setups.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One thing that bothers me though , is I always try to hit the atmosphere at the best angle for entrance, but apparently even if you come straight down with no angle, the capsule and the kerbpeeps inside are just fine.... kind of disappointing, since I am pretty sure the g forces, and or the heat shield wouldn't really survive that.

Interestingly enough the g-forces meter was off the scale but nobody blocked out or died. Hopefully, they will address this in the near future with more strict rules. Because right now, it feels like I can't do anything wrong even if I wanted to. Also, the way you get into orbit of a body, seems a bit too easy, I don't know any hard core physics, but I can do all the adjustments I need intuitively, which makes me wonder if this thing is dumbed down or it really is that simple and straight forward (provided all those crazy ass calculations done by the computer are correct.) It's interesting to see how relatively straight forward it is to set up any kind of orbit you want.

I guess one of my missions will be to try and get a satellite up there in geosynchronous orbit. it looks like it shouldn't be that difficult.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 10:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't forget that if you're using the map screen, the computer is doing many real time calculations for you in order to draw out your trajectory. I doubt they had that when launching Apollo 11.
And yeah, atmospheric friction isn't implemented yet. G-forces have no effect on your Kerbals (yet) but I believe high G-forces can cause parts to break off if they aren't fitted properly.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 10:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, there's an arch somewhere on the Min's surface that you can fly through. Make it your mission to find it :)

Also, there's talk of new planets being included in the 0.17 update.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 10:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey that's great! I was gonna say, more tedails on planets/moons could go along way :up:

how about an asteroid belt riddled with cool features to find ?
Sounds like a bitchin add-on. I don't want to spend time doing shit like this but the urge is strong with this game.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.