Anyone play Kerbal Space Program?

Open discussion about any topic, as long as you abide by the rules of course!
Tsakali

Re: Anyone play Kerbal Space Program?

Post by Tsakali »

I aimed to please :D

oh btw, it didn't have enough juice to escape the mun's gravity...poor, poor bastards :tear:
r3t

Post by r3t »

Eraser wrote:I think it allows them to be a bit looser in how they implement things. People tend to be more critical about unrealistic physical properties when they recreate our solar system.
I also has something to do with scale I believe, as Kerbin is only 600 km (or so) big, and the Mun is 11000 km away, which is a fraction of the distances in our solar system.
feedback

Post by feedback »

Eraser wrote:lol, you landed a penis on the moon
:up: well done

p.s. murderer
I love quake!
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

thx, i haven't checked out any other people's setups, or read any tutorials as to not spoil the agony of defeat, and the joy of success :idea:
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

You may be able to save 'em. Check YouTube, there's a video from someone that built a ship out of stock parts that can salvage command modules from the Mun :)
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

now that sounds bad ass. I bet it has something to do with using the landing gear as a grip.
I'm really liking this simulator I get excited about all the possibilities. I would like to add my own planets moons etc.. Heck even scatter around stuff you can find by exploring. And since they chose to go the fictional route, there is no limit to how exotic the solar system can get. I might want to look into helping those guys out and adding my own content.

SO I finally made something that would both land , take off and return from the mun. And I also visited Minmus, landed and returned to earth. I really like that Minmus rock. It looks alien. Tiny but with strong surface features. And that teal looking surface to it looked like it could be some kind of liquid, since i never went there before, so I even had a slight sense of exploration when I first landed....and even though it prolly isn't even as far as the real moon is, it really gives you a sense of being out there, all alone, if shit goes wrong you're fucked. Hurdling through space in a tiny capsule , trusting your instruments and calculations (thankfully the hard parts are figured out for you in this) really gives you a sense that whoever is in that capsule is bat shit insane.

Btw do your take off setups look like something out of a "america fuck yeah" tribute?

this bad boy got me to Minmus and back. And what's with solid fuel rockets, they seem worthless in comparison...probably good enough to get something to orbit Kerbal but that's about it.

Anyway I guess my next step is to trim out as much weight and cost as possible from my setups.
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

One thing that bothers me though , is I always try to hit the atmosphere at the best angle for entrance, but apparently even if you come straight down with no angle, the capsule and the kerbpeeps inside are just fine.... kind of disappointing, since I am pretty sure the g forces, and or the heat shield wouldn't really survive that.

Interestingly enough the g-forces meter was off the scale but nobody blocked out or died. Hopefully, they will address this in the near future with more strict rules. Because right now, it feels like I can't do anything wrong even if I wanted to. Also, the way you get into orbit of a body, seems a bit too easy, I don't know any hard core physics, but I can do all the adjustments I need intuitively, which makes me wonder if this thing is dumbed down or it really is that simple and straight forward (provided all those crazy ass calculations done by the computer are correct.) It's interesting to see how relatively straight forward it is to set up any kind of orbit you want.

I guess one of my missions will be to try and get a satellite up there in geosynchronous orbit. it looks like it shouldn't be that difficult.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Don't forget that if you're using the map screen, the computer is doing many real time calculations for you in order to draw out your trajectory. I doubt they had that when launching Apollo 11.
And yeah, atmospheric friction isn't implemented yet. G-forces have no effect on your Kerbals (yet) but I believe high G-forces can cause parts to break off if they aren't fitted properly.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Oh yeah, there's an arch somewhere on the Min's surface that you can fly through. Make it your mission to find it :)

Also, there's talk of new planets being included in the 0.17 update.
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

hey that's great! I was gonna say, more tedails on planets/moons could go along way :up:

how about an asteroid belt riddled with cool features to find ?
Sounds like a bitchin add-on. I don't want to spend time doing shit like this but the urge is strong with this game.
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

Also, that's why they had an entire control room setup back home =]
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Ok, so I finally landed on the moon for the very first time. It took 3 years of orbiting Kerbin before the ship got locked by the Mün's gravitational pull, but alright, it worked eventually.

Landing went smooth, but then I realized I forgot to install a ladder on the ship, so getting Jeb out wasn't a problem, getting him back in again probably was. So I decided not to go for an EVA and head back to Kerbin, which I did... almost... 70km short of it.

I was lowering my orbit around Kerbin when suddenly my last fuel tank got depleted. Sorry Jeb, I guess I wasted too much fuel getting those orbits right. Have fun doing circles around the planet for the rest of your miserable life :(
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

Hey congrats!

you ARE using the map to adjust the trajectories right? I honestly don't see another way you can do it, unless you had a bunch of values for every little aspect of what's going and a calculator...not to mention some pretty good maths.

Also, here is my new and improved build: Spoiler alert!! (in case you don't want to see the setup

This bad boy eats moon landings and returns for breakfast. It also lands and returns from Minmus, but just barely. One of the 3 times I tried it, i had about 3 pixels worth of fuel left. :olo:

It does everything my previous monstrosity can do. Functionally speaking, it lands and returns from both muns but the bigger one had about two small tanks of left over fuel, which is good if you're gonna fuck around, or choose to fine tune exactly where you land since you're gonna need some more fuel to play around. It's a funny correlation between, power and weight. As you may have already figured out, it's not as simple as just adding more fuel tanks / engines. There is a fine line between the power output and weight of your build. This new one is a mean, lean, green machine. I honestly don't think you can make it any cheaper / lighter fuel efficient if you're planning on bringing 'em home.

For my next build, I will try to get something to land and take off on both muns and return home, in one trip! :owned:
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

You know, if you ever want to make up for that poor bastard stuck in orbit and you're up for a challenge, you might be able to build a heavy ship just to get it to orbit Kerbin and rendezvous with it and subtly nudge the other one to slow down, once it gets caught by the gravity, just make it your active target and go through your reentry procedure. :D
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

Also, it seems that they set up the muns to be easy targets. If you look on the map, just mentally draw a right angle triangle with one point as kerbin and th eother the moon's current position. the 3rd point will be where you want to aim for. basically both moons will travel a 90 degree arc by the time your ship can reach them. so start heading that way.
feedback

Post by feedback »

Another space-plane success story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwh57fKF ... ontext-cha
I love quake!
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Oh bugger. He hasn't added it to his KSP playlist so I completely missed it.
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

New version has come out, with loads of new planets, moons, parts, graphic improvements and features :up:

I think there's one more planet /moon system further out, just too lazy to take my own screenshot.

Protip : don't be a fag and check out the new planets through the station.... make it there first and enjoy the view in person.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Oh it's out? Great, will check it out :)
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

So I got hooked by this again. The most recent update (0.18 I think) adds a whole bunch of exciting new stuff.

There's new parts to build space stations, including docking ports and everything. So you can launch your rocket that carries one part of the station to orbit and then launch another payload which docks into the existing part. There's a special docking mode to allow easier docking (controls work in a more traditional way through "orbit translations"). There's also the option to set a waypoint for your rocket. A helper guide will then tell you how long and in what direction you should burn. Correctly setting up the waypoint is a bit tricky though and I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it's crucial for in-orbit rendezvous.

Last but not least, you can get the game on Steam. If you already own the game you can generate a Steam unlock code on the ksp website.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Oh yeah, you can also build sattelites with solar panels and scientific equipment and everything. Or build and launch your own Rovers that you can drive around another planet's surface. There's even people who build entire moon bases.

You could even build an orbital space station that carries surplus fuel tanks and use that to refuel a rocket in orbit.
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

don't be a dick, jerry.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

What I don't even..!
Tsakali

Post by Tsakali »

wow, all that sounds great. I havent touched it in months.. might download new patch and give it another go.

I'm guessing having fuel in orbit is prolly crucial for setting up trips to farther destinations.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

This is some kind of prefab satellite I put in an orbit around Kerbin. Not sure what it does and I suspect I accidentally detached some vital part from it, but at least no Kerbals died in the process, and that counts for something!