Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the problem with british film and tv is that anyone who's any good at it gets better pay/more appreciation in the states.

i wish mark gatiss and russell davies would fuck off to america, they both ran out of steam years ago.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
the problem with british film and tv is that anyone who's any good at it gets better pay/more appreciation in the states.

What you're saying is the problem with British film and TV is the British are poor.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think that's what he was saying, please enable lossless comprehension.

Mission Improbable 3 - 6/10
Mindless action entertainment with a giggle here and there. Not as godawful as 2 which was forced upon me by sitting in an aircraft, but what can you say.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I don't think that's what he was saying, please enable lossless comprehension.

:olo:

That isn't what he was saying, but it's what it means. Please enable lossless logic :sly:

Ryoki wrote:
Mission Improbable 3 - 6/10
Mindless action entertainment with a giggle here and there. Not as godawful as 2 which was forced upon me by sitting in an aircraft, but what can you say.

You can say, "Don't get cheap flights"?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prometheus - 6.5/10 I guess. Quite enjoyable, great visuals, subtle 3D, average story. That's about it.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:

this

i don't have a problem with that. HBO has more money and better writers than any TV company over here. it'd be great if BBC/ITV etc would raise their game, but i won't hold my breath

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Despicable Me - 9/10, great fun and really awesome in 3D (at home).
And I love this happy tune from the movie (more meaningful when actually watching the movie of course)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOcXA-5x-Lw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
Prometheus - 6.5/10 I guess. Quite enjoyable, great visuals, subtle 3D, average story. That's about it.

:smirk: I plan to see it today if there are seats available, just released here 2 days ago...

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
DRuM wrote:

:smirk: I plan to see it today if there are seats available, just released here 2 days ago...

Enjoy Whiskey. It definitely entertains, so take scores like mine with a pinch of salt.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
Enjoy Whiskey. It definitely entertains, so take scores like mine with a pinch of salt.

Will do D :D
I simply love sci-fi :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm trying to stand my ground and see the regular version (instead of 3D) of Prometheus tomorrow but I'm getting out-voted. Is it really worth the extra pennies, discomfort of shitty goggles and lost colour fidelity?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-08-2012 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I'm trying to stand my ground and see the regular version (instead of 3D) of Prometheus tomorrow but I'm getting out-voted. Is it really worth the extra pennies, discomfort of shitty goggles and lost colour fidelity?

Affirmative. (imo)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-09-2012 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes did see and the theatre was quiet :(

It was as I expected.
While not completely filling the gaps in the storyline for me it was good enough for me while not completing the puzzle that is the origins of mankind :paranoid:

I viewed in 2D, figuring I'd see it this way first before dropping extra $'s for a 3D screening.

Look, pleasantly surprised but sadly not entertained IMO.
Great effect & visuals but I do feel a little and somewhat letdown.

It just didn't have the 'ALIEN' feel but this it wasn't an alien movie I know.

Like DRuM I will drop my score accordingly, matching, dare I say, a disappointment level....7.5/10

and I won't bother to see it again :tear:

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just came back from seeing it. Loved it. Not as good as Alien but definitely worthy. Ending was the only part that was a bit of a let-down.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Snow White and the Huntsman - 4/10 - there are some pretty visual effects, but really unless you like Twilight it'll be a big "meh." Actually, it's a pretty stupid movie from top to bottom. So excluding any weird pedo-crushes on Kristin Stewart just skip it.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not going to go into how disappointed I was by Prometheus. It was basically a fairly average budget sci-fi made with millions of dollars worth of stunning visual effects. I'm now quite concerned about the Blade Runner project, Ridley seems to be going the way of Cameron. I'd have far rather watched two hours worth of Fassbender walking around on a deserted ship quoting Lawrence of Arabia.

Also had to endure an extended trailer for Spiderman, which looks GARBAGE. I hope it tanks.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I'm not going to go into how disappointed I was by Prometheus. It was basically a fairly average budget sci-fi made with millions of dollars worth of stunning visual effects. I'm now quite concerned about the Blade Runner project, Ridley seems to be going the way of Cameron. I'd have far rather watched two hours worth of Fassbender walking around on a deserted ship quoting Lawrence of Arabia.

Also had to endure an extended trailer for Spiderman, which looks GARBAGE. I hope it tanks.

haven't watched it yet, but Ridley had a UK team build 13 or 16 sets old style, that's awesome in my book and not just full blown CGI

thumbs up just for that

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iron Sky - 1/10 - stupid, unfunny, pisspoor direction, as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face

oh, and anyone who says i missed the point of the movie or any stupid shit like that gets this week's retard badge. it was a shit movie. deal with it

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
haven't watched it yet, but Ridley had a UK team build 13 or 16 sets old style, that's awesome in my book and not just full blown CGI

thumbs up just for that

I went on the set with the big head :smirk:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-11-2012 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Iron Sky - 1/10 - stupid, unfunny, pisspoor direction, as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face

oh, and anyone who says i missed the point of the movie or any stupid shit like that gets this week's retard badge. it was a shit movie. deal with it

There was a point to that movie?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-11-2012 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Black Rain = 4/10 - A typical 80s cop movie with 80s hair and bad 80s "action" music. I'd seen it before but was curious to see it again. It should have stayed forgotten.

Prometheus = 4/10 - It was.....a movie. It's sorta like a Transformers movie in the way that it's just a bunch of scenes that aren't really connected to each other and the plot has 50 strands of "well that was fucking stupid" going in several directions. Another thing I noticed: there is not one single likeable character in the whole film. I also didn't like that they stole dialogue from the other films. Even then it seemed forced somehow...weak sauce that makes dumber audience members clap and cheer whenever they recognize something.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-11-2012 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks like the consensus is bad. Was gonna be my first theater movie in a while too...fuck it, I'll just wait for Batman.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-11-2012 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Prometheus ... there is not one single likeable character in the whole film

That's what put me off the most about it in the later TV trailers, with none of the cast looking, acting, or sounding like anyone I'd want to tolerate let alone pay to witness ( :olo: )

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-11-2012 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
seremtan wrote:

There was a point to that movie?

btw i give iron sky 1/10 only for the one amusing moment in the whole movie: the downfall reference. that did make me chuckle a bit

PostPosted: 06-12-2012 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Prometheus ... there is not one single likeable character in the whole film

That's what put me off the most about it in the later TV trailers, with none of the cast looking, acting, or sounding like anyone I'd want to tolerate let alone pay to witness ( :olo: )

You didn't like David? How could you not love one of your own kind?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-12-2012 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Features Tom Hanks and Sandra Ballock. This is a fiction around 9/11. Great story - I cried. Weaves a number of subplots very nicely.

10/10

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-14-2012 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Men In Black 3 = Skip it. No seriously.

Wrath of the Titans = Good thing I downloaded it. Skip this one, too.

Alien = 9/10 - I watched this a few days after going to see Prometheus for "continuity" or some crap. I was high fuck u...

Much better than Prometheus.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 06-14-2012 06:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:
Features Tom Hanks and Sandra Ballock. This is a fiction around 9/11. Great story - I cried. Weaves a number of subplots very nicely.

10/10

i think this is referring to Exremely Loud & Incredibly Close, based on the novel by Jonathan Safran Foer who also wrote Everything Is Illuminated (made into a movie starring Elijah "Frodo" Wood). had just read the book when this came out so i skipped it in the theater. book was depressing. good, but depressing.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 06-14-2012 07:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last whole movies I've sat through were:

Dark Shadows -- saw this with my Dad when it came out. 6/10, does what's expected of it but no more.

Avengers -- took the kids. 7/10, did marginally more than was expected of it.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-14-2012 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Flowers of War - 7/10

Christian Bale pretends to be a pastor to protect Chinese schoolgirls in a convent during Japan's Rape of Nanking. Strong performances from the entire cast and a very gripping telling of some of the atrocities the Japanese soldiers committed.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-14-2012 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

would you pay to see it?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-14-2012 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Therac-25 wrote:
Dark Shadows -- saw this with my Dad when it came out. 6/10, does what's expected of it but no more.

Heh, my gf keeps nagging me how she wants to see this properly in the theatre and i keep telling her i really prefer to see Prometheus because it'll be shit too, but likely to be far less soulcrushingly dull - it's been a struggle for a week or two now.

I've had it with Tim Burton, the man has been out of ideas for a long time now. Fuck him and his motley crew of hangarounds that appear in every clonemovie he throws in the publics faces.

Captain Mazda wrote:
Flowers of War - 7/10

Christian Bale pretends to be a pastor to protect Chinese schoolgirls in a convent during Japan's Rape of Nanking. Strong performances from the entire cast and a very gripping telling of some of the atrocities the Japanese soldiers committed.

Read about this and was interested, gonna keep an eye out.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 06-16-2012 03:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
looks like the consensus is bad. Was gonna be my first theater movie in a while too...fuck it, I'll just wait for Batman.

Go see it, it's pretty good. Don't listen to the haters.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-16-2012 07:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prometheus. 7/10

I hope they mop all that shit up in the follow up. It answers 10% of the questions from Alien and leaves 90% up in the air.

Shame about the weak writing but still worth a watch.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 06-16-2012 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So despite everyone (except the above) saying Prometheus was drivel... I went to see it. *sigh* Potential spoilers follow, but it's been out a week so whatever.

5/10 and dropping the more I think about it. Huge, gaping plot holes. Completely BS fake science (just the idiotic visual of "DNA" in the opening sequence made my brain hurt). Apparently no one has seen a sci-fi movie in the not-to-distant future. I don't care what the CO2 level is on the atmosphere, don't take off your fucking helmet in a fucking alien spacecraft on a fucking alien planet! And if you're a "biologist" what for fuck's sake would ever tempt you to try to pet a fucking alien?! Gah!!! Why are there no quarantine/decontamination procedures? ADJSHKSDGFK!
shit movie. skip it in the theaters.

Last edited by menkent on 06-18-2012 07:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.