Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cabin in the Woods 9/10.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-19-2012 02:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prometheus 4/10

I agree with every criticism posted in this thread. Uninspired, boring, dialogues so bad they were almost funny, so many plotholes and cliches i can't even be arsed attempting to list them, etc etc. The only scenes i thought were good were the ones with Fassbender the droid on an empty ship doing his Lawrence of Arabia thing and playing perfect basketball and learning obscure ancient languages, more of that would have been excellent.

Was a frustrating watch because i wanted it to be enjoyable and it really, really wasn't. Skip it.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-19-2012 03:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prometheus - 7 / 10

Was let in for free to see it. I enjoyed it expecting it to be shit yet found it entertaining. Better than Men In Black 3 that's for sure.

You guys getting your panties in a bunch over plot holes and 'fake science' - it's not trying to be the next Blade Runner. The hell did you expect?

You can't say you didn't think about smiling when that dumbass trying to pet an alien got his arm snapped in half.

I think you guys are getting hung up on the movie because you're trying to look into it too much.

Or maybe I enjoyed it more than others cause it was free.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 06-19-2012 03:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
I think you guys are getting hung up on the movie because you're trying to look into it too much.

Or maybe I enjoyed it more than others cause it was free.

No, you're right. They're just a bunch of nerds who expected far too much, decided they weren't going to enjoy the film before they even saw it and will never be able to enjoy another sci-fi if it doesn't give them the same feeling they got when they watched Aliens for the first time in their teens. Most of them wouldn't have even thought about the dialogue/writing if they hadn't read it in a review by some faggot critic, but feel all noble and hip now commenting on it.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-19-2012 04:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...are you going to be ok with the fact that it was a shit movie but you enjoyed it anyway? It's nothing to be ashamed of you know, everyone has a few of those. Don't let the fact that most of us hoped for something better get you down.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 06-19-2012 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

look, the reason the first alien worked was because the people were colonists or somesuch so you expect them to do stupid shit. aliens had marines, again... bad decisions but with guns. alien 3 - prisoners. now this one had "scientists." fine, the aliens kill them. whatever. but if they're "scientists" then they should act a little scientific. i'm not complaining about made-up stars or the logistical problems of sleeping in stasis or whatever. i'm complaining about a shitty, inconsistent screenplay that most teenagers (or a decent editor) could have vastly improved in about five minutes work.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-19-2012 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The guys at Half In The Bag do a decent take on why Prometheus, while not being entirely horrible outright, seemed so...ugh.

Video Review of Prometheus

I have to say though...they hit the nail on the head regarding the way the movie uses the same writing style of "Lost" in that it just keeps throwing shit at the audience with little payoff for any of the 10,000 plot strands.

And SPOILER ALERT!!!

...but I simply found it fucking stupid that they'd spend two years plus getting to the planet and then after finally landing on it, the Captain of the boat - who's not really in charge anyways - suggests they all chill out for the night and wrap themselves in blankets because "it'll get dark in six hours"? Six hours? You could explore half the area in that time...and he wants to ignore the clearly alien structures just outside his windows? What? From what I saw, there were alot more people on the ship than what they focused on and it just seemed weird that while a handful of people went out for an adventure the rest of the ship sorta just huddled down and what?...played cards? Where the fuck was everyone and why did half the crew show no sign of excitement at actually landing on an alien planet? Isn't this like the first alien planet that humanity is supposed to have landed on? Or at least the first with confirmed alien creatures?

The captain, sitting alone on the bridge while his crew members are lost outside of the ship and after having one of the probes detect an as-yet-unconfirmed alien life form (all this after discovering a fucking confirmed alien lifeform who's head just exploded in the science lab) decides it's a glitch and that instead of monitoring the two guys who got lost he'd rather leave the bridge and get laid. I can understand him wanting to get laid...it's Charlize Theron for fucks sake...but he's the Captain on a ship that just landed on an alien planet with a confirmed alien presence and with two lost crewmembers and he leaves the bridge completely abandoned? And that angry guy with the crazy red hair decides he wants to go back to the ship because there's no rocks for him to examine? Dead aliens, yes, but no rocks so his talents aren't immediately needed. Has he no sense of wonderment or adventure at all? Sure, he's there to get paid and not make friends, but no curiosity at all? From someone who's supposed to be a scientist, someone who's very nature is inquisitive? None? What? Or the "biologist" that decided to return to the ship with him? What? There's a fucking alien corpse lying right in front of him and he wants to go back? He's the biologist...he should be the guy pushing everyone out of the way so he can get a better look. Isn't it his job to... bah fuck it. Seriously...why did those people make the trip if none of what was transpiring was of any interest to them?

END SPOILER ALERT!!!

The motivations for the characters are simply dumbfounding and leaves the audience with no clear gauge on who's doing what and why.

Beautiful movie though. :up:

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 10:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Cabin in the Woods 9/10.

Excellent film.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Madagaskar 3 was pretty funny.
I have always been a fan of Martin Short and again he is hilarious as the circus seal.
Would have loved to see this in 3D.
Damn idiot running the Projector kept the movie out of focus.
The guy serving popcorn was a complete jerk.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
Madagaskar 3 was pretty funny.
I have always been a fan of Martin Short and again he is hilarious as the circus seal.
Would have loved to see this in 3D.
Damn idiot running the Projector kept the movie out of focus.
The guy serving popcorn was a complete jerk.

^^^ How the other half live :olo:

Hello axbaby Image

I can just imagine the scene you're in there.
Still in deepest Africa I trust?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-22-2012 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no 3D in Namibia, Africa sucks man.
Moving back to South Africa "&-Giyani; Gold" in July.
They have 3D there . . Yays
Madagaskar 3 would probably be cool in 3D.

Last edited by axbaby on 06-22-2012 12:51 PM, edited 1 time in total.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-22-2012 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:dork:

Last edited by axbaby on 06-22-2012 10:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-22-2012 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

woah, 3D post

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-22-2012 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aeon Flux

I have seen before but still enjoy this one as it has a great story and the effects pretty good imo

Not a bad www site here with plenty of content.

Add it to you view list if you haven't already.

9/10

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 06-22-2012 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aeon Flux 9/10??

What drugs they got you on at that nursing home?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-22-2012 11:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello Pauly Image

You been away some time :smirk:
Not seeing much of you here, post rarely too?

The movie is a classic imo.
So tell us the last movie you saw and rate it!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-23-2012 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly's Mum = 2/10 - Went another round with the old hag and, like a pickup truck, she's just getting worse with age. Creaks, groans and piss-flaps draggin on the ground. The old cunt's whoring days are over...dunno how she'll pay the bills. :(

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 06-23-2012 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Immortals . . probably the worst movie I have ever seen.
horrible . . just horrible.
I expected so much from this 300 sequel. prequel . . whatever. AVOID

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-23-2012 12:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
300...I expected so much...

:olo:

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 06-23-2012 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
Immortals . . probably the worst movie I have ever seen.
horrible . . just horrible.
I expected so much from this 300 sequel. prequel . . whatever. AVOID

lol just look at dolce and gabbana ads instead of watching that movie.

here I'll save you the time: Image

no homo

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-24-2012 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no homo he says, posting the most deliberate attempt to spread the gay ever to be seen on this board

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-24-2012 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lots of grapes in that picture

PostPosted: 06-24-2012 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
no homo he says, posting the most deliberate attempt to spread the gay ever to be seen on this board

http://i.imgur.com/DmOfe.jpg

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-27-2012 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prometheus. 8.5 / 10

Finally saw it. Matinee. On a curved IMax 80' screen in 3D. I had only seen one other film in 3D before (the last HP: Deathly Hallows) and it was nowhere near as large of a screen. So I was pretty impressed. This was definitely a film to see in this format.
I was somewhat traumatised by the whole experience.

Driving through LA rushhour traffic afterward also did not help the situation either (also new to me). The combination of the two helped me to really hate people that day.

Conclusion: Low expectations helped smooth over bumps for a thoroughly enjoyable ride.

Notice: I saw The Hobbit preview and looks awful in 3D. The action scenes were too blurry to be able to concentrate on anything and the actors were too sharply defined from the background.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 06-27-2012 01:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Black Swan - 4/10 Watched this thanks to the wife, and it was a large MEH, to say the least. I didn't want to watch it at all, but I was guilted into it, and it turns out I was right. I suppose it made a fair go of being a psychological thriller, but it all seemed very contrived and very predictable. Portman's performance seemed very forced, don't know if it was a shitty script or directing, but I know she's capable of better acting than that. Don't waste your time with this one unless you have some sort of creepy ballet fetish.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Day The Earth Stood Still
8/10

The concept of the story of this film could be told and understood very quickly, but it really does make a difference seeing it all come together in a film. Very good. No clips will do this film justice, you have to see it from the beginning, all the way through, to get the suspense and gravity of the situation building right. So if you are not wowed by the trailer or what you heard the premise of the film is, well, watching it is different :)

I had already seen about the last third to the end of it before, so that's how I know so much about the difference of seeing the whole thing. (Also, I hadn't been impressed by the trailer when I saw it.)

Bit of an emotional ending and leaves the question of where we go from here.

I wanted to write about another film, Public Enemies, but I missed so much of the beginning of it, I should wait until I've seen the whole thing. I think it's a must-see, though and want to get it on DVD/Blu-ray.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're talking about the Keanu Reeves version, please go kill yourself. If you're talking about the original, go change your tampon.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TruthfulLiar wrote:
Prometheus. 8.5 / 10

Finally saw it. Matinee. On a curved IMax 80' screen in 3D. I had only seen one other film in 3D before (the last HP: Deathly Hallows) and it was nowhere near as large of a screen. So I was pretty impressed. This was definitely a film to see in this format.
I was somewhat traumatised by the whole experience.

Driving through LA rushhour traffic afterward also did not help the situation either (also new to me). The combination of the two helped me to really hate people that day.

Conclusion: Low expectations helped smooth over bumps for a thoroughly enjoyable ride.

Notice: I saw The Hobbit preview and looks awful in 3D. The action scenes were too blurry to be able to concentrate on anything and the actors were too sharply defined from the background.

Prometheus.
Good man, although you only refer to its presentation, and not its content.
I'm not expecting too much, expectations being ruined by the usual jaded cunts on this board, and still hoping to get pleasantly surprised.
Think I'll see it this weekend.

Last edited by Plan B on 06-30-2012 06:13 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rock of Ages
lol

paperthin plot, medium acting, but delicous soundtrack (its a musical).
russel brand's character and acting are forgettable, but Tom Cruise as Axl Rose and Alec Baldwin as rocked-out bar owner more than make for it.

good one to have on dvd in case you're sick or whatever.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol dvd

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

that seemed uncharacteristically gentle for them.

the aggression scale - 7/10
the first proper film from the director of the absolutely bloody terrible 'automaton transfusion' is a modern, teen-orientated (emo/industrial incidental music, adults are all retards) thriller with a well-fitted score/soundtrack from the guy who did the unreal games. you can see the low budget in places and despite getting top billing, ray wise is only in it briefly - but there's a laugh or a scare every few minutes and it's a good tale, well told. basically a remake of home alone with a less annoying kid - decent, girlfriend-friendly entertainment.

osombie - 4/10
likeable, micro-budget armchair general masturbatory fantasy.

black book - 8/10
rewatched paul verhoeven's storming ww2 thriller and it's still brilliant, carice van houten steals the show.

'soldier of orange' (his other ww2 movie) is also really good, but obviously a different story and much, much slower-paced - think it was originally made for tv.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-01-2012 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i saw some crap on planes recently:
This Means War - another attempt at an action rom-com (like that Cruise-Diaz flick Knight and Day). worthless crap made for teenagers to go see on dates? 3/10
Caddyshack - somehow had never seen this movie. was pretty good, though I hate Dangerfield, generally dislike Chevy Chase, and prefer Bill Murray playing smart to playing dumb. 8/10
Chronicle - sort of a cheezy teen sci-fi superhero drama. best thing about it was that the writer's the son on John Landis. grated, this movie is a disgrace to his family's legacy... but whatevs. predictable in at every step, including the parts that didn't even make sense. seemed like it was written by high school kids rather than about them. 4/10

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-01-2012 08:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Prometheus.
Good man, although you only refer to its presentation, and not its content.
I'm not expecting too much, expectations being ruined by the usual jaded cunts on this board, and still hoping to get pleasantly surprised.
Think I'll see it this weekend.

:idea:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10,000 replies... This thread is a success... Thread could have its own animated icon now :olo: (Remember when members used to get to have an animated custom icon at 10,000 posts? Remember when people used to get custom icons?)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-05-2012 03:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it already has an animated icon.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.