Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        HDMI switch issue

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: HDMI switch issue

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an HTPC and Xbox360 but my 50" Sony Grand Wega LCDTV only has one HDMI port. So rather than having to physically swap cables each time, I bought an IOGear 3-port HDMI switch. For some reason, the switch only works if both the HTPC and Xbox are powered on. If I have both devices plugged in but only power on one of them, there is no display. Is this how it's supposed to work or do I have a faulty switch? I have no desire to have both devices powered on at the same time, that's just a senseless waste of electricity.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like it's either faulty or poorly engineered.

A bit of a long shot, but have you tried checking that each HDMI cable is in working order by testing it directly from TV to HTPC? Reason for asking is maybe one of the cables isn't sending an on/off signal properly or not supplying enough power (looks like the switch is powered through HDMI).

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah the cables are fine.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sacrifice a live chicken and pour it's still-warm blood onto the unit. Problem solved.

Meh...HDMI is still a finicky bitch.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's better then gutter cleaning

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-30-2012 01:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would try a different one.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 12:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian, you were right about it being a power issue. Seems this shitty little switch can't handle the power draw from the Xbox360. Plugged in a 5V adapter I had lying around and it works fine now, apparently IOGear builds them like this on purpose to make people buy their overpriced adapters separately.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 05:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I WIN GAME!

Yeah, I thought it was a little strange that it would be powered though HDMI. Though equally shitty that the Xbox360 isn't supplying enough power, dammit Microsoft you suck.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 06:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those Slims probably do.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mine is a Slim.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 11:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then: damn Microsoft, you suck.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.