Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-22-2012 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It didn't have any Chinese actors.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 11-22-2012 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
feedback wrote:
Drive
8/10

Tell me why Drive deserves such a high rating.

Cinematography and interesting characters

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-22-2012 08:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elaborate.

PostPosted: 11-22-2012 09:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's beautifully shot, a lot of nice track shots that were no doubt hard to pull off. They managed to show LA in a darker light by using low angles and reduced lightning. As a neo-noir film, the visuals and atmosphere are a huge part of the movie.

Collateral is one of my favourite films for very similar reasons.

The characters are interesting because they didn't play them (mafia, ex-con, etc.) straight and stereotyped. The curly-hair guy (forgot his name) doesn't like the position he's been put into, but he is compelled to resolve it. Even Nino is made interesting by his motivations, stemming from being discriminated against for being an Italian Jew in the mafia. You expect Standard to be the abusive husband because that's the trope, but he delivers something else as well.

The driver himself is the most 2-d character because it's a movie about a guy who does one thing well and he's something of a superman at it, but still in that there is the juxtaposition of intense emotion and hyperviolence, creating a character who is interesting because of his duality, if not subtlety. I should also note that I loved the pacing of the film, moving slow and deliberately towards occasional spasms of hyperviolence, allowing you to take in all the atmosphere while keeping the effect of the violence maximal.

Soundtrack was great too, contributed to the retro feel.

Also, Bryan Cranston.

edit:
Don Carlos gives Spiderman a 7.5/10, why question my 8/10 on an actually good movie? :(

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its like that sliver dude is back.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 01:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The real question is, how many political things was feelbad involved in on his way to buy popcorn?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 01:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Don Carlos gives Spiderman a 7.5/10, why question my 8/10 on an actually good movie? :(

In hindsight I would lower my Spiderman score by 1.5, leaving it at 6. The problem with giving a film a score about 7 minutes after you have finished watching it is that you don't get the chance to sit back and think about it. I shall not make that mistake next time.

I also thought Drive was worth more than 8/10 - it is easily one of the best films I have seen in the last 10 years. Like you said, it was incredibly well shot and the soundtrack is nothing short of perfect for the entire thing.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 02:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must have watched a different version of Drive then, a really mediocre and unmemorable version that was in no way remarkable whatsoever.

The Queen of Versailles 8/10
A documentary about the Siegels, a couple of preposterous wealth that has everything going for them and is happily building the World's Biggest House with matching Horrible Interior, when suddenly the crisis strikes and their world collapses. The rest of the documentary the viewer is treated to remarks like: "If i knew i had to fire my 10 nannies i would never have taken 5 children!" and shots of them shopping in a supermarket and being rather amazed at how things work in the world if you don't have a dedicated squad of helpers to do your bidding at every turn.

Ahh yes, schadenfreude tastes so very sweet.

PostPosted: 11-23-2012 02:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
The real question is, how many political things was feelbad involved in on his way to buy popcorn?

The real question is how many more months of hair do you have left?

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:

I haven't seen Spiderman because I suspect it's probably gay. The reason I questioned your opinion on Drive is because I have exactly the same feelings about it as Ryoki described and I feel it is one of those films that a lot of people pretend to think is a masterpiece just to be pretentious wankers when in reality they know it's shit, but after reading your elaboration I don't think you fall into that category.

PostPosted: 11-23-2012 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched it on an 80's genre kick started by Hotline: Miami and I enjoy slower paced films. I think some people went into it thinking it was 2Fists1FuriousAsshole due to bad marketing and thus hated it.

I'm a sucker for atmosphere: I liked Prometheus, Event Horizon, Alien 3, Sunshine, and a lot of other movies with average plots/execution but immersing atmosphere.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked Drive.
It has a sense of inescapable violence in a smaller human story.
9/10 compared to other shit I've seen recently.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drive was boring as fuck. Maybe 20 good seconds in it.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 02:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Literally 50% of the film was the main characters blankly staring at each other.

PostPosted: 11-23-2012 04:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Literally 50% of the film was the main characters blankly staring at each other.

Standard: So I hear you've been helping out around the house a lot? That right?
Driver: :smirk:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Campaign - 0/10

Will Ferrell needs to just die.

The Hangover II - 4/10

Same plot as the first movie, just with more racism. feelbad's kind of movie.

The Expendables - 4/10

A 2-hour window into the mind of Stallone where he's a living god and the embodiment of valor and strength.

Spider-Man 8 (or whatever they're at now) - 5/10

Savages - 5/10

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 11-23-2012 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gotta agree about The Campaign. i thought it might be funny, but it was just a juvenile attempt to parody the koch brothers. i could see some spots where they wanted it to be like a Trading Places for the 21st century, but it just sucked.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 11-25-2012 03:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spiderman is a shit Superhero. Take him out of New York and he has nowhere to swing about like a gay.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 11-25-2012 02:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
Spiderman is a shit Superhero. Take him out of New York and he has nowhere to swing about like a gay.

superman is the only true superhero.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 11-25-2012 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silver Linings Playbook - 8/10 - well, it's a bit more of a rom-com than I'd anticipated, but the acting was good and the characters had legit issues without being caricatures of those issues (imo).

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-26-2012 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

End of Watch = 3/10 - Good performances but it's really nothing more than a long episode of COPS meets Jackass. Total fucking rubbish. The shakey cam alone will drive you nuts by the 10 minute mark but since we live in a world of 24/7 reality tv I'm sure there will be at least one mouth-breathing idiot who won't notice.

Safety Not Guaranteed = 4/10 - A very cheap attempt at romantic comedy that falls flat from lame jokes, predictable characters and no ADR. Feels like a high school project.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 04:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Max Payne
7/10
I caught the thrilling action packed end of this on TV before, saw it from the beginning this time. Cause I'd seen the best bit before, it fell a bit flat (which might have decreased the score I gave it), but suffice to say the special effects really make the film work. Good acting from Mark Wahlberg in a part that doesn't perhaps offer a great scope for exhibiting great acting skill. Essesntially he was totally believable as this fucked up character, which keeps the film going with all the energy it needs to keep one's interest. Mila Kunis is well cast, she's good. Also the directing is pretty good, might be a director to watch out for.

I haven't played any of the Max Payne games so I don't know how the film lives up to them, but this is a good film in its own right :up: For me, all these story-driven games are ruined by prioritising the story over gameplay; when I want a good story, I'll watch a film (games should be about playing), so I'll just wait for those games with decent stories to be made into films like this ;)

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 05:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:

it's well known that new york is the only place in the world with vertical structures, which is why there are so many gays there. gays love vertical structures

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The director of Total Recall must really love strobe lights and lens flares. Watching this movie may induce seizures and temporary blindness. He deserves to have his eyes and balls surgically swapped for subjecting audiences to watching this movie. Otherwise, the movie itself was not totally terrible if viewed though welding goggles.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Am I the only person to notice that Len Wiseman has made several attempts in his last few movies to put the camera (and the audience) right into his wife's crotch? As a red-blooded human male I have no issues with this, but hasn't Kate (Mmmmmmmmmmm.....Kate) noticed she's had to spread her legs or poke her ass at the camera more often than usual the last few movies her husband directed?

God he's such a hack...if all she is to him is a fuck toy, then I can understand it. Otherwise it's pretty disrespectful to your wife...unless she's a swinger. :drool:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like how you skilfully concealed your fascination with kate beckinsale's ass beneath the glassy veneer of detached film criticism

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 03:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Concealed? Seems pretty obvious to me...

Psssst, I don't blame you GFY!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've never hid my fascination with Kate Beckinsale's ass. It's healthy and strong and in no danger of diminishing.

I'm just saying it's a bit creepy to showcase his wife the way he does.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 03:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's true. Even though he probably makes a few extra million every time her ass is shown. And if they're both faithful, what's the harm in making a little extra dough for the sake of her ass?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 03:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Les grabbing the ass in question...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
It's true. Even though he probably makes a few extra million every time her ass is shown. And if they're both faithful, what's the harm in making a little extra dough for the sake of her ass?

Can't really argue with that. It's obvious Mr.Wiseman isn't the jealous type.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 05:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm not gay

PostPosted: 11-27-2012 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
The director of Total Recall must really love strobe lights and lens flares. Watching this movie may induce seizures and temporary blindness. He deserves to have his eyes and balls surgically swapped for subjecting audiences to watching this movie. Otherwise, the movie itself was not totally terrible if viewed though welding goggles.

You're talking about the new, soulless, garbage one I take it?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-08-2012 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alien Resurrection Special Edition = 6/10 - The extra/extended scenes didn't add any value to the original release at all. However, I was starkly reminded that even though this film isn't regarded as one of the high points in the francise, in every way except VFX quality this is much better sci-fi and a much better film than Prometheus.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.