Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What tv to watch these days to carry us over

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What tv to watch these days to carry us over

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal - Mads Mikkelsen is a good Hannibal, mainly because he looks weird. Can't make out half the shit he says, though. They have this stylized, pretentious high brow shit going, and that's fine, but it would be helpful to make him articulate the words. Plus this incessant presence of ambient "noise"; No matter what, there's always dramatic strings playing. Fuck off.

Bates Motel - OK show, mainly because I like milfy Vera Farmiga, and also Freddie Highmore is quite good as the awkward kid with psychotic potential.

The Office - Thank fuck that shit is over. I liked the first seasons, but once Steve Carell was out of the picture, and Jim and Pam inevitably got mushy it was done. Then 3 more seasons? Fucking hell.

Game o' Thrones - no further explanation needed. I haven't watched a single ep from this season yet. Saving that shit to watch in 2 or 3 sittings.

Mad Men - Jesus Christ, Don is an asshole. I hope he dies, that suave bastard. Preferably lung cancer. And some Christina Hendricks nudity. Why not?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 11:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Office UK, miles better than the US version.

Modern Family, hilarious comedy. I'm sure the missus will like it as well (mine does)

The Borgias (the tv show with Jeremy Irons, not "Borgia" from a few years back). It's the 15th century papal Borgia family, familiar to those who played Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Full of power hungry men who kill, torture, buy people and sell their children to gain or keep power.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

first season of Vikings is done so it's a good time to check it out...they call it a Game of Thrones copycat but whatever, it's a good show and has a more satisfying pace.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, tv shows, not a link to your sad nerdiness.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Banshee

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off Pauly.
Seriously.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am serious

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

was just gonna say banshee. Not top notch stuff ala breaking bad, but very watchable. Good violence too.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off, Pauly.
Nobody likes you.
You smell a bit like dog piss. Die!

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, I see. You are trying to be funny.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-19-2013 11:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you should see him when he's trying to be serious

train wreck

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 06:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed on Vikings, Bates Motel, and Mad Men.

• Elementary and Doctor Who seasons just wrapped up.
  • Arrow needs to be watched if you're into comic book hero stories. Dialog can be shit at times but the acting and fighting are top notch. Season just ended last week.
  • Continuum is a good sci-fi choice but I haven't been watching the second season yet
  • Defiance isn't bad if you like sci-fi. It isn't terribly interesting though either. Kinda feels like Terranova with aliens instead of dinosaurs.
  • There's an Adventure Time marathon all Memorial Day weekend if you want to load up the DVR with quality animation.
  • Sons of Anarchy comes back in September if you want to get a start on the older seasons
  • Breaking Bad has the final eight episodes in August
  • The Americans wrapped up a few weeks back and had a great season

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
Defiance isn't bad if you like sci-fi. It isn't terribly interesting though either. Kinda feels like Terranova with aliens instead of dinosaurs.

I can't really get into it. I wanted it to be good, but it's turning into a bunch of mini stories of teens rebelling from their parents. The albino alien family's son with blue hair can't live up to his father's high standards, the native american miner's son can't fill his dead brothers' shoes, and the red-haired wild alien girl is apparently "chosen" but just wants to be left alone. Bleh. Oh, and the mayor's younger sister keeps disappointing her with her life decisions.

I would rather Firefly season 2. :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 12:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal is fantastic

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 12:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Octonauts

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 12:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
bitWISE wrote:
Defiance isn't bad if you like sci-fi. It isn't terribly interesting though either. Kinda feels like Terranova with aliens instead of dinosaurs.

I can't really get into it. I wanted it to be good, but it's turning into a bunch of mini stories of teens rebelling from their parents. The albino alien family's son with blue hair can't live up to his father's high standards, the native american miner's son can't fill his dead brothers' shoes, and the red-haired wild alien girl is apparently "chosen" but just wants to be left alone. Bleh. Oh, and the mayor's younger sister keeps disappointing her with her life decisions.

I would rather Firefly season 2. :up:

It's at the bottom of my list but I'm trying to follow it, if for nothing else to help support sci-fi programming. I don't understand how the put so much effort into all this and still came up so short.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The game is absolute shit. They talked a big game, but the writers are apparently clueless. The Defiance universe has potential and the series already got picked up for another season, so let's hope they get their act together. Quality sci-fi is hard to come by nowadays... :(

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here home renovation programs are popular at the moment. These are the current two

• The Block - Sky High
  • House Rules

There's an Australian drama series that isn't too bad called A Place to Call Home. Just getting interesting as it was revealed the lead role was in a German concentration came during WW2 (Husband was in another but he didn't survive).

Revenge is another (American) drama: Yes not too bad either

There's also a couple of others I try and catch or record on the PVR

• Dr Who(of course)
  • anything with Stephen Fry in it: QI is one to watch if you haven't
  • and the Apprentice
  • any of those Grumpy Guide to shows

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I enjoyed House of Cards on Netflix. Thinking about watching the UK version now.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought the first season of Vikings was pretty good, Sherlock is much better than any Robert Downey Jr attempt and the pilot of Zombieland was fucking hilarious.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 09:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sherlock is the balls

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 09:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The West Wing is on netflix.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh good, i've been wanting to dive into a show other than Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad but i haven't really found anything that's actually worth watching. So i shall give this Vikings thing a try and see what it is like. And Zombieland is now a tv show? What? This i must check out too :up:

My only tip is Utopia, which was way too short at 6 episodes and 1 season but it's still a gem. The way it's filmed and the soundtrack were especially refreshing i thought, really worth checking out.

Transient wrote:
Quality sci-fi is hard to come by nowadays... :(

Ain't that the truth :tear:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 05-22-2013 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

warehouse 13 started up again its ok

i liked that show sanctuary but they cancelled it :(

i hope they make another space series soon its been way to long

like a new stargate or battlestar galactica farscape andreomeda or even star trek

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched a bit of Vikings in the weekend, in order to cure my hangover. My verdict; it's pretty okay, but they do have a tendancy to make plot choices that seem unnessecarily easy, almost lazy.

Could be a lot better if they'd get better script writers i think. I'll keep watching i think, it's decent popcorn entertainment.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To those for whom it's not too late (I wasted a good 6 hours):
Skip "The Following", except if you're some staunch weirdo Kevin Bacon fan for some reason, or like forced illogical asinine FBI tactics that allow the plot to keep plodding along.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
I'm done with Castle I think after 2 seasons. How in chuff's chuffing chufftedness that plank of an actress gets to lead in a show where she's so obviously outperformed by every other person on set is, quite frankly, beyond me.

Det. Esposito and Det. Ryan need their own show. :up:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was thinking about rewatching Heroes... never saw the final season due to writers' strike and a dispute between Time Warner and our local NBC affiliate.

ps- i'm also over Castle. like Bones did many years back, it's run its course. should've ended it a couple seasons back with a big twist about how the entire thing was a story being written by stephen king or one of the other guys from the poker games.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what's some good sci fi ?. I've been trying to force my way through Revolution and shit like Falling Skies, Fringe makes me wanna choke myself.

Might give Vikings another go, I barely made it past the 1st episode.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 12:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New season of Arrested Development is on Netflix.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 08:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
So what's some good sci fi ?. I've been trying to force my way through Revolution and shit like Falling Skies, Fringe makes me wanna choke myself.

Continuum might catch your eye

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-31-2013 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This looks interesting... new Stephen King book mini-series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_J_iF83YUY

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-31-2013 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
This looks interesting... new Stephen King book mini-series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_J_iF83YUY

Hmmm, spotted Jeff Fahey and BB Hank in there. Could be good.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-03-2013 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

Continuum might catch your eye

I've been watching Continuum since the start. I like it but it's been a really slow buildup. I was not going to say anything to recommend it (or say anything against it) but I've just finished watching the last episode and it has now totally opened the show to it's full potential. I just hope it keeps staying interesting and not go full retard now that the cat's out of the bag...so to speak. (I'm trying to avoid giving spoilers)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.