Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-31-2013 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no wonder Heath Ledger committed suicide

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-31-2013 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
also, there was no need to actually see Bruce at the end. that dumbfuck Christopher Nolan could have just left us with the look on Alfred's face. the guy's either seriously losing his edge or made a creative decision to aim the movie squarely at the lowest-common-denominator mentally retarded

Totally agree. People have gotten so mind-numbingly dumb and they'll hate anything they don't understand, so films (and games) have to hold the viewer's hand at all times because they can't be relied on to connect the dots.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-31-2013 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
also, there was no need to actually see Bruce at the end. that dumbfuck Christopher Nolan could have just left us with the look on Alfred's face.

I was thinking the exact same thing as it was rolling... "please don't show Bruce. please don't show Bruce." and it would have been a perfect cut to black on Alfred's smile and nod, something that would have suited the mystery and hope of the Batman series. The music was at a crescendo and everything. You KNEW who he was smiling at before you even saw him.

...and then they cut to Bruce Wayne smiling and the stupid pack of fucking morons (aka the audience) erupted in cheers and applause....because they're too idiotic and philistine to realize that the ending shot of Bruce was for them...the brain-dead consumers of the world who probably couldn't figure out who Alfred was smiling at in test screenings so they were forced to add the shot.

I distinctly remember that moment in the theatre - the instant they ruined it - and I looked around the cheering crowd and realized I was watching the movie with people who will always work at Wal-Mart, McDonalds or as security guards at a construction site.

They made the ending of a terrific trilogy and one of the few respected comic book-to-movie adaptations for this guy:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-31-2013 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^
Geoff by his car port conversion

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-31-2013 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Jack Reacher = 4.5/10 - Meh...the acting is fine, story is fine and it's a competently put together movie, it just feels cheap...like an NBC movie-of-the-week. The musical score was also distractingly bad and inappropriate at times. The film is trying to feel like The Pelican Brief, Conspiracy, Shooter and Primal Fear all in one...and it just sucks.

It's not horrible shit, but it's still shit. It's worth watching...I guess.

I will probably not see it because I can't get over the title sounding like some kind of android that pins guys down and masturbates them to orgasm.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I completely agree on the Batman/Nolan ending. I would have loved it if Bruce was cut out of the final scene. But remember, Nolan left us with a great ending on Inception. It could be possible he didn't want to be "that director" with the predictable cliffhanger ending. Frankly, I wouldn't mind it...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol wut....

It would not have been an Inception type ending, there would have been no ambiguity. Alfred smiling and nodding to someone unseen would have implied in a not so subtle way that Bruce was alive. It would only have been a "cliffhanger ending" if you were a complete moron and unable to figure out the obvious.

FFS xer0s, the shit ending was filmed specifically for people like you who would not have been able to figure it out when the answer is slapping you in the face.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 07:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, ok...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 08:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

upset nerds

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

surgeon62 wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Jack Reacher = 4.5/10

I will probably not see it because I can't get over the title sounding like some kind of android that pins guys down and masturbates them to orgasm.

:olo:

He's an upgrade from their earlier model, "Johnny Jack-off & Reacharound".

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shame your joke isn't an upgrade from the joke surgeon62 already made

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I completely agree on the Batman/Nolan ending. I would have loved it if Bruce was cut out of the final scene. But remember, Nolan left us with a great ending on Inception. It could be possible he didn't want to be "that director" with the predictable cliffhanger ending. Frankly, I wouldn't mind it...

You mean like the cliffhanger ending in The Dark Knight Rises where Robin steps into the Batcave?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-01-2013 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HOLY UNNECESSARY SEQUELS, BATMAN

*PALMPUNCH*

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-06-2013 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

G.I. Joe Retaliation = 5.5/10 - Absolute cornball but much better than the first one. They're obviously setting up a series of films (as long as Bruce Willis doesn't drop dead from old age) which will no doubt suck from here on out.

Moving = 8/10 - An old classic from Richard Pryor that feels dated but still hilarious as all hell. Watch while blazed. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-12-2013 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Battle Los Angles

Quote:
A squadron of U.S. Marines becomes the last line of defense against a global extra-terrestrial invasion.

Source/IMDB

To be honest, even as a sci-fi fan this just didn't cut the mustard, but a very nice try I suppose. 6/10
The Marine staff Sergeant (Aaron Eckhart) is a worthy mention but I don't recall seeing him in any other movies. Michelle Rodriguez, not too hard on the eyes either :D
_________Thanks wiki_________Image

_________

Hotlink failure :smirk:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 05-24-2015 03:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-13-2013 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that chick has a penis.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-13-2013 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no future marine corps shoot-em-up is complete without a hardass latina

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-13-2013 10:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
no future marine corps shoot-em-up is complete without a hardass latina

Reflections of Aliens and Jenette Goldstein?

Another hot link fail :smirk:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 05-24-2015 03:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 01:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Warm Bodies 8/10
One of the most atypical zombie movies i ever saw, a heartwarming tale of love between zombies and humans. Funny stuff :up:

Frankenstein's Army 6/10
A Red Army scout squad stumbles upon the crazy robot zombies of dr. Frankenstein, Hitlers last desperate secret weapon.
Could have been great, instead it's rather meh. They chose to alter the script to fit the location they found, and it's all rather ramshackle as a result. The location itself is awesome indeed, i can totally understand them wanting to wrap the script around it, but shit, it just doesn't really work :( They also chose to film it in first person mode, which adds little. The acting is pretty atrocious and all the russian accents are so cringeworthy they kind of take you out of the immersion. Exception is dr. Frankenstein, the only actor who is actually acting. They also managed to do the sound properly, quite liked what they did with that.

All in all it's still worth a watch for the last half hour, where Frankenstein takes the viewer on a tour of his demented monsters. The creations themselves are highly awesome, there's no CGI and it's all humans in suits. Which is better. They should have played with that a lot more, definitely the best part of the film.

The Tall Man 4/10
A completely uninteresting tale of a couple that steals babies from poor trailer trash people and gives em to the rich so they'll have a better life. Giving it an extra point for the plot twist, but it's not nearly enough to make this worth watching. Skip this.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
I'm pretty sure that chick has a penis.

I'm pretty sure you must be a raging homosexual then.

Pretty sure though.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Highlander 5: the Source - 0/10

the most tragic thing about this movie - aside from the pisspoor direction, script, fight scenes and storyline - was the fact that the actors really seemed to be trying

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
total recall. why the fuck was it even called total recall? it had nine tenths of fuck to do with it, unless they really weren't able to come up with new names for quaid, rekall and a few other throwaway pointless references, after stripping all the actual good bits of the original before coughing up this wet hankie full of stomach gunk. 3.

ffs dude...I thought I saved everyone on the forum the time, money and trouble of watching that POS.

Like a person suffering from a hangover, you only have yourself to blame.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The original was anything but a "good film".

lol nostalgia

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The original wasn't a great film (bad acting in addition to being typical-Verhoeven schlock) but the story it told was awesome.

This remake doesn't even have a story...it's just a big, long chase scene. Anyone who sees it after reading this post is a fuckin moron and deserves to be insulted like a person.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought it was just another mindless sci-fi shoot-em-up that should've had a different title like THE RECALL or TOTAL REDUX.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's why remakes suck so much: nearly every "original" movie is a retelling of an old story anyway, so why be so lazy?

With enough original ideas within that story (location/characters/whatever) you can make it seem fresh and - if you're lucky and talented - nothing like the other, older stories it's ripping off. Nobody noticed that Avatar was a retelling of 509039802983 older stories because they were busy noticing blue side-boob. A remake is just a lazy hack's way of cashing in without any effort to rethink anything at all. That's why anyone who blindly supports remakes is an fucking mornon.

How many stupid fucks on this forum will spend money to see the upcoming Point Break remake? lol?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-15-2013 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivion

(not previously mentioned here?)

Stars
Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Zoe Bell, Melissa Leo, Andrea Riseborough, James Rawlings

Synopsis
Tom Cruise is a sky-bound patrol officer of a desolate Earth who makes a world-changing discovery in this big-budget futuristic sci-fi.

wiki

I quite enjoyed this and would definitely watch again.
No spoilers but a great job done on the plot.
Love the twists, most I picked only moments before revelation :)

8/10

another review

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-16-2013 12:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw John Carter and liked it; I watched it, as I'd read "John Carter & the Gods of Hollywood", a breakdown of what went wrong with the movie.

Turns out, it was all down to incompetent marketing.

It's a very strong action adventure with likeable characters and some spectacular effects. It also ends on a big cliffhanger, as it was planned to be a trilogy, but thanks to the eejits at Disney that's never likely to happen.

Don't listen to the nay-sayers; they're mostly just band-wagoning, revelling in the perceived failure of something so expensive.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-16-2013 03:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If the movie is that great then it will eventually be well known and liked by people. There are a lot of movies that no one knew about or cared to see in the theaters and eventually became cult classics. For example Shawshank Redemption, Office Space, The Big Lebowski, etc...

I just read The Princess of Mars a few months ago. Really the only reason I'd ever see this movie...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-16-2013 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Shawshank Redemption

Shawshank grossed loads.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-16-2013 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

John Dies at the End 9/10

Two dudes experiment with a mysterious drug called Soy Sauce which lets the user cross dimensions and time itself, but unfortunately the side effects are seriously fucked up. Fantastic, crazy crazy film, what a trip. I laughed my ass off... jesus. To illustrate; at one point the main character gets attacked by a moustache that rips itself off the face of it's owner and flutters around the room like a butterfly on crack.

Next time you want to see a movie download this instead of something you know will be shit. You can thank me later.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-16-2013 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cargo.

Hard SciFi.
German speakage, so subs needed.
Whiffs of The Matrix, but interesting, because if anything was any*sposdlfkifdhgidfherkthdfjgn,efmgn* interesting you potato spleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefd

The sound scape makes it more than livable.

Last edited by Plan B on 04-16-2013 03:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-16-2013 02:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
xer0s wrote:
Shawshank Redemption

Shawshank grossed loads.

lol, what? No...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-16-2013 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Numbers Station = 6/10 - A low-budget thriller that actually keeps you entertained without half the movie being a chase scene. Worth a watch.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.