Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Anyone play Kerbal Space Program?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Anyone play Kerbal Space Program?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 11:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, that's why they had an entire control room setup back home =]

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-27-2012 12:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, so I finally landed on the moon for the very first time. It took 3 years of orbiting Kerbin before the ship got locked by the Mün's gravitational pull, but alright, it worked eventually.

Landing went smooth, but then I realized I forgot to install a ladder on the ship, so getting Jeb out wasn't a problem, getting him back in again probably was. So I decided not to go for an EVA and head back to Kerbin, which I did... almost... 70km short of it.

I was lowering my orbit around Kerbin when suddenly my last fuel tank got depleted. Sorry Jeb, I guess I wasted too much fuel getting those orbits right. Have fun doing circles around the planet for the rest of your miserable life :(

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-27-2012 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey congrats!

you ARE using the map to adjust the trajectories right? I honestly don't see another way you can do it, unless you had a bunch of values for every little aspect of what's going and a calculator...not to mention some pretty good maths.

Also, here is my new and improved build: Spoiler alert!! (in case you don't want to see the setup

This bad boy eats moon landings and returns for breakfast. It also lands and returns from Minmus, but just barely. One of the 3 times I tried it, i had about 3 pixels worth of fuel left. :olo:

It does everything my previous monstrosity can do. Functionally speaking, it lands and returns from both muns but the bigger one had about two small tanks of left over fuel, which is good if you're gonna fuck around, or choose to fine tune exactly where you land since you're gonna need some more fuel to play around. It's a funny correlation between, power and weight. As you may have already figured out, it's not as simple as just adding more fuel tanks / engines. There is a fine line between the power output and weight of your build. This new one is a mean, lean, green machine. I honestly don't think you can make it any cheaper / lighter fuel efficient if you're planning on bringing 'em home.

For my next build, I will try to get something to land and take off on both muns and return home, in one trip! :owned:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-27-2012 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know, if you ever want to make up for that poor bastard stuck in orbit and you're up for a challenge, you might be able to build a heavy ship just to get it to orbit Kerbin and rendezvous with it and subtly nudge the other one to slow down, once it gets caught by the gravity, just make it your active target and go through your reentry procedure. :D

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-27-2012 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, it seems that they set up the muns to be easy targets. If you look on the map, just mentally draw a right angle triangle with one point as kerbin and th eother the moon's current position. the 3rd point will be where you want to aim for. basically both moons will travel a 90 degree arc by the time your ship can reach them. so start heading that way.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-27-2012 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-27-2012 11:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh bugger. He hasn't added it to his KSP playlist so I completely missed it.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-22-2012 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New version has come out, with loads of new planets, moons, parts, graphic improvements and features :up:

I think there's one more planet /moon system further out, just too lazy to take my own screenshot.

Protip : don't be a fag and check out the new planets through the station.... make it there first and enjoy the view in person.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-22-2012 08:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh it's out? Great, will check it out :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-26-2013 02:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I got hooked by this again. The most recent update (0.18 I think) adds a whole bunch of exciting new stuff.

There's new parts to build space stations, including docking ports and everything. So you can launch your rocket that carries one part of the station to orbit and then launch another payload which docks into the existing part. There's a special docking mode to allow easier docking (controls work in a more traditional way through "orbit translations"). There's also the option to set a waypoint for your rocket. A helper guide will then tell you how long and in what direction you should burn. Correctly setting up the waypoint is a bit tricky though and I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it's crucial for in-orbit rendezvous.

Last but not least, you can get the game on Steam. If you already own the game you can generate a Steam unlock code on the ksp website.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-26-2013 02:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, you can also build sattelites with solar panels and scientific equipment and everything. Or build and launch your own Rovers that you can drive around another planet's surface. There's even people who build entire moon bases.

You could even build an orbital space station that carries surplus fuel tanks and use that to refuel a rocket in orbit.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-26-2013 02:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

don't be a dick, jerry.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-26-2013 03:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I don't even..!

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-26-2013 04:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, all that sounds great. I havent touched it in months.. might download new patch and give it another go.

I'm guessing having fuel in orbit is prolly crucial for setting up trips to farther destinations.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-26-2013 11:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is some kind of prefab satellite I put in an orbit around Kerbin. Not sure what it does and I suspect I accidentally detached some vital part from it, but at least no Kerbals died in the process, and that counts for something!

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-26-2013 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Not sure what it does and I suspect I accidentally detached some vital part from it,

Sounds like a NASA project. :olo:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-26-2013 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol fine work :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-28-2013 01:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I built this monstrosity:

Note the three additional fuel tanks right above the solid booster rockets. I needed the additional fuel for the second-to-last stage, so I simply slapped 'em on like that.

Launch started off well, until I detached my first set of boosters and this happened:

Oh shit, there went my fuel tanks!

In the end I built two new rockets from scratch and with the most recent one I actually got a Kerbal to land on the moon and.... well... get stuck there. And he forgot to pack lunch as well :(

edit:
judging by a thread on the KSP forums, you can build a rocket with a 3 seater command module, do an EVA with one of the Kerbals while still on the launch pad and do "end mission" on him. He'll return to base and you can launch the rocket with 2 Kerbals in it, leaving space for my stranded Kerbal to get in and return. That will be my next goal!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-28-2013 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent, I like the landing leg in the background :up:

I always go straight for sandbox :]

Managed to get a Satellite in orbit after peppering most of the US East coast and Russia with debris. Woop woop !

After my initial success of nearly failing to place a tiny satellite in a shit orbit I decided to build a new rocket from the ground up, capable of returning the Kerbals safely after visiting any planet in our solar system. I called her the 'Holy Shit' -

So I get my 3 best Kerbals, geared them up, put my thrusters on full and got ready say hello to the new age in space exploration

Only to have a malfunction that came close to causing a new big bang and stranding them in the Suns orbit. 1 Kerbal pussy even tried running for his life out the door and ended up being a bit lonely

Not to let a tragic event such as this cause an upset to my space program, we persevered with a rescue mission. Using the same set up with some re-enforcement, which was applied in much the same way that you would with cellotape on a cardboard box to give it back some of its rigility, a test mission was organised to work out some tweaks. Upon exiting the vehicle back on earth and a successful flight Bob seemed to neglect the lack of a step, tripped and fell to his death. I think.

Not easy this space flight.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-28-2013 10:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is one mighty rocket!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-28-2013 10:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I found there's floodlights under the utilities section. You can mount these on your vehicle and turn them on and off, which, for some odd reason, is awesome.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2013 01:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I've been trying to build rockets for the command module that has room for 3 Kerbals, ejecting one of 'em before launch. None of my designs were very succesful at reaching a stable orbit let alone reach the moon.

Then it dawned on me that I could make this an unmanned mission! So I slapped a remote control pod on my existing rocket design, leaving the original 1 person cms module in tact as well. Kick out the Kerbal and it's suddenly a remote controlled rocket with an empty seat.

On my first try, I totally forgot about energy needs though, and only while on my transfer orbit to the Mun I realized I ran out of power and I had just slingshotted 10 tonnes of metal and fuel into space with no way to control it. Dammit.

Second try I installed solar panels and a battery (just to be sure) which worked excellent. Well, except for the part where the lander crashed into the Mun's surface at 100m/sec due to errr, pilot error.

Third attempt though, was a succesful landing, but guess what, my fuel has drained so far that I'm pretty sure there's no way to reach Kerbin again and I don't want to take the risk of running out of fuel while setting up a transfer orbit.

So a 4th attempt is in order. I have "enhanced" my design by strapping solid fuel boosters to the sides of the rocket. Hope that works out ok!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2013 01:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it worked out great

(no it didnt :()

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2013 01:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*adds more boosters*

There! Success guaranteed!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-29-2013 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol keep going, mine got to that size from approaching every problem by adding weight. What could go wrong ?, If I was running NASA I'd be sending rocks to the moon.

So after some more test flights, which cost the lives of many, many kerbals, they now have a 1 in 10 chance that they'll make it out of Kerbans orbit.

So what better way to approach this achievement with a trip to the moon !

As it turns out, the entire of the 1st stage gets me placed into the moons orbit. Well I say placed, I put myself in the moons path, slowed to a stop then waited :D. So after dumping stage 1, 2, 3 and 4 at the same time I approached with caution.

Going good so far...

Great success !. Wish I didn't spend 20 mins gliding over the moons surface, trying to get rid of sideways momentum. May be needing all that fuel I left in orbit :(

Next trip needs lights and longer landing legs, lol.

Using this set up I could probaly dump sections on the moons surface and join them together, would only need to replace the capsule for cargo. Do what NASA promised but didn't and get me a moon base (if i can be arsed).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2013 09:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, makes me feel like such a fool dicking around with tiny moon landers. If those fuel tanks you got left there are filled with fuel, then you've got more than enough to return to Kerbin. That takes very little thrust to do.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-29-2013 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They would've been if I never spent 20mins dicking about, I was about 5 seconds of burn short :(

But yea I wouldn't be too upset I bet you have more success than me. If all goes well, which it rarely does, that thing is like tryna handle an elephant in jelly, then when you get to the moon it's like threading the elephant through a needle. I'm gonna start renaming the stranded Kerbals to space debris.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2013 10:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, someone made a space funeral mod:
http://kerbalspaceport.com/eterno-rest-2000-coffin/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-30-2013 08:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yessss, I landed my rescue vehicle on the moon with quite a bit of fuel left. Had to do the landing in the dark which means I had to fully trust my instruments because my eyes were pretty much worthless. Bitter thing is that i mounted a light on the original lander but took it off because I didn't want to waste electricity or have the additional weight. I feel like such a fool for that right now.

Here's a screenshot I took after touchdown:

Yes, it was that dark.

Hope the two landing sites aren't too far apart. I got pretty close but I mistimed my descend burns and veered off course a bit...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-30-2013 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice monolith picture

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 03:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, want your own 3D printed Kerbal figurine? You can order them here. At €43 ($47 USD) kind of pricey though!

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha cool....cool enough for me to bite.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Phenomenal fan made KSP trailer:

Oh and guess what. The NASA folks over at JPL are loving this game:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... t-you-can-

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 05:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
haha cool....cool enough for me to bite.

Here's a picture of a real printed one:
http://imgur.com/a/2BA5m#0

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 09:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WHOA.
It's like KSP in real life :eek:

Video:

(that never happens to me)
Good thing it was an unmanned rocket.

http://www.space.com/21806-russian-rock ... aunch.html

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.