Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Anyone play Kerbal Space Program?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Anyone play Kerbal Space Program?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
WHOA.
It's like KSP in real life :eek:

Video:

(that never happens to me)
Good thing it was an unmanned rocket.

http://www.space.com/21806-russian-rock ... aunch.html

I know how to fix that, he needs more weight. Try adding winglets =p

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 12:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Little update about my Kerbal that's stuck on the Mun. The rescue pod landed about 12km away from him, which is waayy too far to walk. So I built a remote controlled Rover of sorts, put a seat on it, stuck it on the pointy end of a rocket and tried to land it on the moon. So far two attempts have failed during the landing phase. It's tricky business. But I'll keep going! I will save my Kerbal no matter what!

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol saw that the other day. this 'violent burst of energy' deal with getting to space is really not gonna fly for any commercial applications..... we are so fucking far from that right now :(

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a better perspective.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 09:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL what a dick honking the horn. :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 09:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy crap, the force of that explosion is immense.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 05:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty baffling how such a seemingly simple launch gets fucked up.
I expect that from Congo, but Russia?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read that one of the engines' fail safe kicked in, and shut itself down... you can see it in the video eraser posted... in a form of black smoke.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes but to activate the fail safe you must first cause an explosion. :up:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's all a clever ruse to lull murica into a sense of superiority :!:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 06:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only to then strike!
With missiles of randomness!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
I read that one of the engines' fail safe kicked in, and shut itself down... you can see it in the video eraser posted... in a form of black smoke.

I was actually going to say this before opting for sarcasm lol. My 1st run in kerbal I had an accident exactly like this and was due to forgetting to place a thruster.

Still, a fail safe that shuts down an engine only to cause it to crash anyway ?. That's more like a fail safe fail.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh, you won't hear me argue on that... but I'm guessing in any other configuration, shutting down the thruster is probably a good idea... with the exception that this system apparently needed all its thrusters operational in order to navigate / attitude adjust.

But I wouldn't expect russians to consider anything further than their immediate intent... things like this kinda makes you appreciate the over-engineering that goes on in NASA

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ohh I think they had their fair share of difficulties. But I couldn't agree more and why I like funds going to NASA :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 05:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So yeah, I've been launching this to try and get some sort of transport for Jebediah on the Mun:

After two failed attempts, I actually managed to set it down. Admittedly, it half crashed/half landed, but I got it there in one piece :)

It was all going great, until this happened:

Cock.

I then decided to give up on the rover idea and simply land another lander closer to Jebediah. I actually succeeded in landing something less than a kilometer away from him. Close enough to walk

Hurrah! He made it! Look at him be happy!

The only downside of this all is that, while I managed to break free of the Mun's gravity and enter an orbit around Kerbin, it's not exactly a LKO (Low-Kerbin orbit). Oh yeah, I'm also out of fuel...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-16-2013 11:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kerbal Space Program 0.22 is out, and this is an important one, because it introduces Career Mode. Here's a video highlighting the new features:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-25-2016 09:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So... I just discovered this game, it just came out on xbox one and I've been playing it all weekend. So fucking addictive! I haven't landed on the Mun yet but I've managed to get in orbit around it and back to earth. Ran out of fuel on the way back and had a sliver left enough to get myself into an orbit that skimmed the earths atmospheric surface. Took 20 orbits but it finally slowed down enough to take me down to Kerbal, so satisfying.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-25-2016 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do you control this on XB1? There's a shitload of keyboard shortcuts to get stuff done in the PC version

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-25-2016 10:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's pretty horrible to be honest. I'll get past the shit control scheme to play it though as the game itself is a blast, pun intended.

However I could easily come up with a better control scheme than what they've got. So many actions could be at the push a button instead of trying to control a mouse pointer with a controller. The worst though is their "shortcuts" that they use with button combinations that work half the time. I've had an easier time pulling off 10 hit combos in Street fighter.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-25-2016 11:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I had half assumed them to solve it with radial menus. Why don't you play on PC though? I bet it's cheaper and you really don't need a hefty PC to run it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-25-2016 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just don't play games on PC anymore. I work on them all day long and the odd time I do fire up the laptop or pc at home it's to do some coding.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-25-2016 09:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
So... I just discovered this game, it just came out on xbox one and I've been playing it all weekend. So fucking addictive! I haven't landed on the Mun yet but I've managed to get in orbit around it and back to earth. Ran out of fuel on the way back and had a sliver left enough to get myself into an orbit that skimmed the earths atmospheric surface. Took 20 orbits but it finally slowed down enough to take me down to Kerbal, so satisfying.

Hell of a bump :)
I have to ask is it anything like Space Engineers?
( I purchased but haven't played yet :smirk: )

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-25-2016 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bit more complex than Space Engineers. Where SE is minecraft in space in KSP you build a rocket on an Earth like planet with the goal of getting people / satellites or whatever into space / onto other planets and asteroids ? then back again -

In career mode you unlock better techs (rockets, scanners n shit) with research points, gain research points by completing missions. The solar system is actually pretty big, you start with your planet with a few moons, that orbit a star that has other orbiting planets with their own moons that you can visit -

Big warning though, the learning curve is pretty steep, especially when you wanna start rendezvousing with other objects in space to dock n shit. Youtube helps.

It has no MP either :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-26-2016 03:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man, my fingers are itching to try a Mün landing again.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-26-2016 03:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Κracus wrote:

Hell of a bump :)
I have to ask is it anything like Space Engineers?
( I purchased but haven't played yet :smirk: )

I'm not sure, I haven't played Space Engineers... From what I saw though it doesn't quite look the same. I think Kerbal is a little more on the realistic side of the coin in terms of physics. The game itself is goofy and fun but once you've got a ship and you're ready to launch the game stops being cute and funny and it's all pretty intense but oh so satisfying when you achieve your goal like a first orbit. Or like me, I plan everything in regards to getting into orbit and an escape trajectory from kerbal(earth) and then math the shit out of orbits to get back to earth!

I'm going to lay off the mun fly by's for a while and concentrate on making a passenger jet that I can land and take off with so I can complete some of these contracts. I haven't quite been able to get the hang of jet flying yet. Well... that's a lie, I can fly a jet, I just can't really land it. :p

The learning curve is a bit steep though but I suspect if you get it for PC it'll be a bit easier to pick up.

Right now my technology level is still pretty low so I'm finding it difficult to break earths orbit as no matter how many rockets I pile up to get it there the added weight just seems to counteract the added thrust.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 07-26-2016 04:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I landed and got back from Mun in career and got some Kerbal science observers around Minmus and back safely but sort of got bored before I managed to get a successful landing there.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-26-2016 04:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The biggest trouble with the game (mostly so in sandbox mode) is that anything beyond the Mün takes so much time to do. Sure, you can accelerate time, but it's still a long sit.
I think that on average, it would take like 45 mins from launch to the Mün and back again

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-26-2016 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah but none of that is strictly waiting. A lot of it is you trying to create the proper orbit, initiating burn and seeing the results and adjusting if you need to etc...

The actual time it takes to get there is minimal with the ability to warp time. In sandbox yesterday I built a ship with the intention of escaping earths gravity without having to orbit first, so straight up and out. I succeeded and I wasn't planning on returning to earth so I decided to take a trip to the Mars lookalike planet and although I was no where near it cause I didn't bother figuring out the orbit I did fly past its orbit path in a matter of a few minutes. Maybe time warp is different on the xbox one? It litterally took less than a minute once I warped to it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-26-2016 10:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're right that sitting on a trajectory is easy to skip over with time warp, but the maneuvers, especially when a landing is involved, it takes time. And my activity with KSP plummeted because I constantly was asking myself "I could spend 2 hours trying to reach Minmus or I could play the remaining 2 hours of game X and scratch that off of my 'to play' list"

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-30-2016 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Man, my fingers are itching to try a Mün landing again.

So I booted up a new Sandbox game, constructed a 3 stage rocket that worked admirably (well, 3.5 stages actually. First stage lots of liquid fuel but the main engine at like 25% for SAS and the rest of the lift from 4 solid booster rockets. Then ditch the boosters when they burn out and crank main engine up to 100%. That gets us into LKO. Second stage is then a slightly smaller liquid fuel engine that does the transfer burn to the Mün and allows me to do a retrograde burn to get into Mün orbit and descend properly. Third stage is for landing on the Mün and the return trip).

Every thing worked properly, until I was doing my Mün descend burn and accidentally hit the spacebar twice instead of once and I ejected my last stage engine. Doh! This is why I don't work at NASA.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-30-2016 12:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quicksave before a major maneuver.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-30-2016 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, wow, I had no idea there was a quick save option :owned:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-30-2016 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, was just reading page 1 of this thread and stumbled upon this comment:

Eraser wrote:
You can quicksave and load actually. Look up the keys for it in the controls configuration

Guess I did know :dork:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-31-2016 02:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup, still got it. Just landed a Kerbal on the Mün and safely took it back to Kerbin. Maybe I should expand my horizons and try Minmus for once.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-01-2016 02:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did it! :)

Safely returned to Kebin as well.
During EVA, one of the landing legs exploded though. Scared the shit out of me. For a moment I thought my rocket was going to keel over.

I used a relatively simple rocket design with, as Scott Manley calls it, "asperagus staging". It means the main engine of the first stage is assisted by a number of liquid fuel boosters strapped to the sides (in my case 4 boosters, but you can go for 6 as well). What you do then is use fuel lines to pump fuel from boosters 1 and 2 into boosters 3 and 4, and from 3 and 4 into the main engine fuel tanks. This means you can take off with 5 engines roaring at full power while the boosters shut down in pairs because they run out of fuel. Eject them and continue with 2 less boosters. But you're higher up (less air resistance, lower gravity influence) and you're much lighter, so it balances out quite nicely.

My rocket had a total delta-v of a little over 10000 m/S, which should take you pretty much anywhere.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.