Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        "Make text and other items larger or smaller"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: "Make text and other items larger or smaller"

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-09-2013 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Make it easier to read what's on your screen"

There's this option (under "Screen resolution") in Windows 7 to increase the size of text and icons, basically the whole windows GUI, to 125% or 150%. It seems to work fine until I use Firefox, then I find that it has all images both on webpages and viewed on their own zoomed to 150%. In Irfanview, images display correctly, but I don't want to have to view an image in Irfanview just so it's not blurry zoomed 150%.

I appreciate that smilies will match the font zoom this way, but I'd prefer it to be optional, like the "Zoom text only" option that Firefox has instead of "Zoom text and images". I searched the internet for a solution to this but just get loads of bogus results; like ones saying you can set the zoom option in Firefox like I just stated. I already know that, that's not the problem!

Basically, Windows zooms everything 150% including images for icons, and the effect continues into some other programs, specifically Firefox. I want a way of disabling its affect in Firefox for images specifically.

Is there a way of doing this?
Please help.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-09-2013 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have u tried setting it in windows to what u want, then going back to FF and change the setting u want FF to use ?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 01:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes; there doesn't seem to be any way to set it in Firefox cause it doesn't use the usual "Zoom" command.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 01:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tihnk what SoM means is can't you use a smaller zoom size, like 80%, to compensate for the zoomed content?

tho FF probably zooms text and images differently so that might not be the most ideal situation.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that might work

or try what i said but in reverse...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 03:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can zoom out to the equivalent size, yes, but though Firefox will allow a "text only" zoom it doesn't have an "images only" zoom. Also, zooming out all the time would be a pain. Theres no apparent way to set the default zoom to smaller.

Another thing is Firefox doesn't seem to know it's "zoomed in", saying it's displaying an image at its original size.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 03:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shouldn't there be a plugin for FF for that ?

i'm on chrome sry

my uncle messed up my FF :(

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 03:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what's your vid card and monitor ?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 03:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i have nvidia, but try DPI scaling

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 03:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

here's the DPI setting process for nvidia tho

FF support site, have a read tho

search in google other results

will help mo re tomorrow, i'm tired n wasted and didn't sleep for 2 days..

good luck :D

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I found a plugin that allows you to set the default zoom (67%, suitable for 150% GUI zoom), but not to zoom "images only". Should I look harder?

I read some of that Firefox support page and it just made me think I should install Chrome :(

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you tried getting glasses?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is basically cause I am contemplating a higher res monitor and sit far from mine.

The one I want is 2560 x 1080. (The LG EA93, if you're interested.)
Maybe I could run it at 1280 x 540 and switch to 2560 x 1080 quickly with PowerStrip (or something) when I want to go high res? (It wouldn't look blurry cause it's exactly half, so pixel perfect.)

Would it accept a custom res of 1280 x 540 from the graphics card? Do LCDs accept custom resses easily like that, or are they pretty much locked to their native res? I wouldn't need to use a hacked monitor driver or something, would I? It should be simple cause halving the res precicely is pixel-perfect.

I was just seeing what I can do high res-wise on my current PC first, so I'm prepared when I get that monitor (and a new PC to go with it).

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did a different search just for font size..

have a lookie

try from step 7

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ps, aero is in win7 home

that must've been pre-rc.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.