Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-11-2013 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
“Star Trek Into Darkness”............... wtf , it's coming out next week in the US :offended:

I know, strange as that seems. Like I said, we're usually last on the list for releases :(
I must go and see the 3D version and sit toward the front of the cinema :) this time.
A good movie so I wait for your thoughts :D

RE: The last movie you saw... Last night watched I watched two, recorded weeks ago, figured I really wanted to watch..

Logan's Run (The original and from 1976)
IMDB
Look, to be nice it is fairly old, but, again IMO, an old classic to watch if you have the time, even if just to say you've seen it. I first viewed in the late '70's I guess, and was a little disappointed in viewing this time. Still watchable.
7/10

and

Pale Rider (1985)
IMDB
All I can say is , classic Clint Eastwood. If you haven't seen, it is one to watch. Lovely scenery & and a great movie :)
8/10

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:
“Star Trek Into Darkness”

wtf , it's coming out next week in the US :offended:

already out in UK

live in a real country, bozo

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
I think I gave the 1st one an 8.5/10.

You'll be jizzing your pants over this one then.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Cloud Atlas 8/10

Absolutely beautifully filmed and certainly one of the more cerebral films I've seen in quite some time. I can see why some people wouldn't like it (and why it had mixed reviews), it very deliberately doesn't dumb anything down to dilute the plot into more digestible bits for those lowest common denominators walking into a theater to watch mindless CGI explosions. The six plots are each individually unique but don't have much to do with one another, other than how each story seems to pass on its message in some way to the next in the timeline. Unlike The Matrix, where you sit rather perplexed for the first 30 minutes until the "big reveal" when Neo wakes up, Cloud Atlas makes no attempt to explain any of the plot lines until each individual conclusion. I suppose Cloud Atlas tells the greater story of how each life had somehow inspired the next to do great things though adversity. I am absolutely going to watch it again to try to pick up some of the missed nuances I probably missed having watched half of the movie at 2AM pausing and resuming the next night.

I wanna try some of what you're smoking...it must be awesome stuff.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Would've been a much better movie if they used more than 3 actors. It's gives the impression that they are jumping around in time within the same lineage which is distracting for a good part of the movie. You also find youself playing Guess Who instead of enjoying the story.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek Into Darkness. 10/10.

Going Tuesday.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-13-2013 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Star Trek Into Darkness. 10/10.

Going Tuesday.

I'll probably end up seeing the new star trek but i'm betting it's a 2 hour shaky cam CGI fest with very little substance or character development. Kinda like the last one.

So it'll be great, just need to make sure i'm not sober. I'm thinking a few beers should do the trick, or perhaps a tiny dose of MDMA.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-13-2013 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What a shitty life, where you can only appreciate the finer things inebriated.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-13-2013 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

innit?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-13-2013 12:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-13-2013 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hahah agree.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-14-2013 02:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tempted to go see the new Star Trek at the Leicester Square Empire.
Apparently the film uses Dolby's new "Atmos" sound system, which must be heard to be believed. There are only 4 cinemas in the UK equipped to handle it, the Empire being one.
One of our engineers got a sneak preview in MPC's test cinema and said it was mind-blowingly good.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-14-2013 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

I'll probably end up seeing the new star trek but i'm betting it's a 2 hour shaky cam CGI fest with very little substance or character development. Kinda like the last one.

So it'll be great, just need to make sure i'm not sober. I'm thinking a few beers should do the trick, or perhaps a tiny dose of MDMA.

I remember watching Akira on acid at a cinema. Did not enjoy.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-14-2013 05:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Tempted to go see the new Star Trek at the Leicester Square Empire.
Apparently the film uses Dolby's new "Atmos" sound system, which must be heard to be believed. There are only 4 cinemas in the UK equipped to handle it, the Empire being one.
One of our engineers got a sneak preview in MPC's test cinema and said it was mind-blowingly good.

great, another reason not to allow myself to fully enjoy this film at the local theater dump.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-14-2013 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek Into Darkness.

So good I wanked.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-14-2013 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Ryoki wrote:

i remember watching Koyaanisqatsi while stoned out of my tree. did enjoy, immensely

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-14-2013 09:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
Star Trek Into Darkness.

So good I wanked.

I remember being subject to some wanking during a Star Trek movie.
Insurrection tho :/

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 05-15-2013 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moon (2009)

Really enjoyed the pacing and direction. A little bit let down at the somewhat rushed-feeling ending.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-16-2013 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
Star Trek Into Darkness.

So good I wanked.

You're a fucking idiot, and probably touch yourself.

Star Trek Into Darkness = 3/10 - A decent action sci-fi flick but again a really shitty Star Trek movie. It's of course the vapid, unoriginal, candy-coated-with-shakey-cam-&-lens-flare derpfest that everyone expected and is basically a retardedly written remake of Wrath Of Khan, with scenes/dialogue ripped right out of the original, because J.erkoff J.ewname Abrams (someone commited to turning Star Trek into Star Wars...which makes me wonder how he'll fuckup that IP next) is a cynical hack who's betting the farm nobody remembers anything from before last week. They stole and jumbled anything they could find from TOS and the Enterprise series, even the moronic ploy of having Peter Weller play the same character but with a different name showed just how shallow and lazy this crap is. And that moronic "twist" of having Kirk die instead of Spock at the end oh but no he doesn't die cause how'd they make more sequels oops spoiler alert but it's ok this thing is so dumb it doesn't matter. And Spock doing a terrific Steven Segal impersonation with the screaming over-the-shoulder arm break after the obligatory chase scene was the icing on the cake to this piece of shit film made for stupid cunts. Then in a blink everything is reset for the next film/bastardization of the TOS episodes/films/whatever cause they're too fucking lazy to be original.

I went into this film in a good mood and left feeling ripped off.

This is the target audience:

This movie will no doubt make eleventy billion dollars in its first weekend and Abrams will keep making this shit.

Fuck u humanity.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 05-16-2013 07:50 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05-16-2013 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If that's the target audience how come you didn't like it?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-16-2013 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The cat's there only for the popcorn.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-16-2013 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the cat is Pauly watching scared? & Lawl fingering themselves

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-16-2013 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what I dont even

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 05-16-2013 08:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
If that's the target audience how come you didn't like it?

Beat me to it. :olo:

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-16-2013 10:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's just upset because they charged the fat cunt double.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 01:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Moon (2009)

Really enjoyed the pacing and direction. A little bit let down at the somewhat rushed-feeling ending.

Hah that's funny, i watched that yesterday too with my girl who enjoys scifi shizzles but had somehow never seen Moon. I'd forgotten a surpsising amount of it, so i got to enjoy it all over again - definitely one of the better scifi movies out there. And shit, i love that theme song, it just goes perfectly with the atmosphere they created :up:

You're right about the ending though, it does feel somewhat rushed. Not that it's bad or anything, just feels a tad out of place with the rest of the film.

We also tried The Grandmaster ?/10

There's something about Asian cinema that has always bugged the hell out of me and after fifteen minutes of The Grandmaster (had to pull the plug after that or risk becoming highly annoyed) i finally think i know what it is; the goddamn constant compulsive use of metaphores. Directness in language is something i appreciate and it's just not something they do in Asia i guess.

For example; the political intricacies of China in the thirties were explained in the form of a dialogue. Two mystic kung fu masters made comments about a bowl of snake stew for about five minutes, the way the logs should be put on the fire and how it was a winter dish. Now this clearly wasn't actually about the fucking snake soup, it was all a metaphore for China. They were actually speaking about how the Japanese occupatied the North and how this made life hard for the common people, how communists and the central government were fighting the Japanese, how those dudes didn’t get along, etc.

No actual information was given, no names were named, no locations were disclosed; it was all poetic language about snake soup and the fire underneath the cooking utensil that i'm entirely unwilling to try and comprehend. Fuck that shit, i can’t handle that sort of thing at all, it makes me impatient and slightly furious – speak directly to one another and there shall be progress. This going-to-extremes-in-order-to-not-hurting-your-feelings way of communication is regressive and totally useless.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 03:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Ryoki wrote:

House on Haunted Hill. I could see through my eyelids.

TREK SPOILERS

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Pauly wrote:
Star Trek Into Darkness.

So good I wanked.

You're a fucking idiot, and probably touch yourself.

Star Trek Into Darkness = 3/10 - A decent action sci-fi flick but again a really shitty Star Trek movie. It's of course the vapid, unoriginal, candy-coated-with-shakey-cam-&-lens-flare derpfest that everyone expected and is basically a retardedly written remake of Wrath Of Khan, with scenes/dialogue ripped right out of the original, because J.erkoff J.ewname Abrams (someone commited to turning Star Trek into Star Wars...which makes me wonder how he'll fuckup that IP next) is a cynical hack who's betting the farm nobody remembers anything from before last week. They stole and jumbled anything they could find from TOS and the Enterprise series, even the moronic ploy of having Peter Weller play the same character but with a different name showed just how shallow and lazy this crap is. And that moronic "twist" of having Kirk die instead of Spock at the end oh but no he doesn't die cause how'd they make more sequels oops spoiler alert but it's ok this thing is so dumb it doesn't matter. And Spock doing a terrific Steven Segal impersonation with the screaming over-the-shoulder arm break after the obligatory chase scene was the icing on the cake to this piece of shit film made for stupid cunts. Then in a blink everything is reset for the next film/bastardization of the TOS episodes/films/whatever cause they're too fucking lazy to be original.

I went into this film in a good mood and left feeling ripped off.

I thought it offensive to the entire Star Trek universe and a slap in the face to the fans. Watching it I had actually thought some of the shit they done was to intentionally pull down walls, thankfully none of it was explained enough. Kirks only idea being to park the Enterprise above a volcano in the opening scenes had me spasticated n all only for him to be crying about not knowing what to do later on ?, sacking Scotty, letting anyone join the crew. Bones is just a character made for 1 liners, the enterprise looks like its been drawn by a chav that's seen the original then decided to add spoilers with tinted windows, fuck me. Oh yea and the spock scene :olo:

Do you think that this maybe a better reflection to TOS and what Gene Roddenberry had in mind when creating the idea of Star Trek though ?, the light entertainment show of young and nieve explorers ruled by emotion geared towards Sunday audiences ?.

I thought it was entertaining and good fun overall, I would prefer a proper Star Trek and I'll probaly watch it once more but I don't think it was completely wide of the mark and as far as the movies go it has to be one of the better ones. The only decent Star Trek movies of recent times has been 1st contact which was back in the 90s ?, plus nothing has reset a plot as shamefully as Nemesis :). I just hope this canon doesn't stay and flushing 40+ years of Trek down the toilet. It's a cheap trick.

edit: They also made epic use of barcode scanners that I once used in Comet 10 years ago. Apart from sticking out like sore thumbs on the bridge, making Sulu and Checkov look like Walmart assistants, they made extra use of them in this film by adding them to every other scene when people required to scan something in engineering :dork:

I ain't seen shit like this since seeing my remote getting used as a sonic screwdriver on Dr Who.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 05-17-2013 07:24 AM, edited 2 times in total.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh boo hoo

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's ok to admit you like shit, Pauly. Nobody, especially your skat club, will hold it against you.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I thought it was entertaining and good fun overall, I would prefer a proper Star Trek and I'll probaly watch it once more but I don't think it was completely wide of the mark and as far as the movies go it has to be one of the better ones.

It's not a horrible film, it's got good acting (this film cements the fact the Enterprise crew were well cast...except Uhura...I have no idea who that woman is) and it's entirely worth seeing as a summer action flick.

I simply take issue that the idiots who wrote this weren't even trying (yet another Damon Lindelof derpfest) and I'm pretty sure none of them actually respect the franchise - we all know J.J. Abrams didn't...he's admitted as much - and for them it's just another cash cow to rape, nothing more.

In short: the franchise's future is in the hands of people who don't like it and I'm guessing I'll probably be disappointed with every Star Trek film these shitheads get their hands on.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same, if someone was re-assuring me before the film that everything will be ok and once JJ gets bored we can resume service as normal I probably would have loved it, agree with the characters too they're all very good but Khan was too much of a comic book villain imo. It's just that I can't see why they would want to go back to normal service with the amount of money this shits making, It feels more like a nail in a coffin and a kick in the nuts to their fanbase of 40 years in the hunt for new blood.

The potential for soooo much more was in this film too and suppose that it's lining up with the hunt for the Bottany Bay in the next of the series, all of this could have easily been done in a prequel though :(

Star Trek died when Enterprise got cut short, innit ? :tear:

I blame EA

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and Syria.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All I am seeing here is fat people crying.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked that thing with 7 of 9.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-17-2013 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ffs lulCHUNK get a proper font color you twat.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.