Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-23-2013 10:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
^ Not in the UK. Only in the US, apparently.

Same here :smirk: Down Under

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-24-2013 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol I bet tree-fiddy that the guys at RedLetterMedia read my movie reviews before doing their own, because they very often echo what I post here. In their latest movie review they take a huge dump on Star Trek Into Darkness. WARNING: SPOILERS (basically the entire review is full of spoilers so don't watch if you haven't seen it/don't want it spoiled)

They had the same problem I had with it: it's a decent action movie but the writers didn't even try.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-24-2013 12:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
lol I bet tree-fiddy that the guys at RedLetterMedia read my movie reviews before doing their own, because they very often echo what I post here...

:rolleyes:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-24-2013 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes...I am that awesome.

And do you think tree-fiddy is too much?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-24-2013 12:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lil bit...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-24-2013 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The funny thing for me after watching their review is that it's crystal clear now that the old Star Trek was a show for smart, detail-oriented left-progressives and the new Star Trek...with more splosions, flashing lights and no regard for coherent story...is for dumb rednecks. It's literally another example of why Idiocracy was so funny and insightful.

They've taken the precision and subtlety of F1 and dumbed it down for the 20 car pileup-loving NASCAR crowd. :olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 05:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Speaking of bad movies...

I watched the Bluray Extras from Prometheus and once again the promise of "Questions Will Be Answered" was a lie. Only one or two of the deleted scenes would have helped fill in the blanks of the story/characters while the rest were simply a different take of a scene written slightly different. Other content was the same videos you can find on YouTube but at least there were some "making of" videos to watch.

After watching the "making of" documentaries it's clear to me why Prometheus sucked as a movie: the director can't make up his mind and keeps changing things, right up until final edit. I don't know if this is a typical Ridley Scott approach (I've heard he's usually got a solid game plan) but he did it with this project. Nearly the entire documentary was the crew talking about the constant changes and how Ridley Scott seemed to be making it up as he went along, again right up until final edit. They, of course, tried to make it seem like Ridley was a genius for doing it that way, however this approach to film making fits a distinct pattern that you see in some productions with morons such as George Lucas and a number of other directors. It usually creates a disaster and you end up with a film that makes no sense and fails to connect with audiences. It's a jumble of scenes, rather than a coherent story.

Another point I took away from the documentaries was how Ridley Scott purposefully changed things to be less sci-fi and dropped entire scenes/concepts because he felt it was "giving too much away" to the audience. Since the audience ended up begging for the movie to be more sci-fi and to give them more info on what's going on all I can say is: Mission Accomplished Ridley Scott. The Bluray Extras from Prometheus has throughly convinced me that the film was a dud right from the pre-production phase and no "Director's Cut" of the current footage could fix the mess of the theatrical release. Wait for the sequel to have any clarity.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye. I'm not sure I give my opinion on Promo but I remember thinking that Ridley Scott only requested a re-write with Lindelof to make the movie that he wanted, so he could show off the pretty special effects he had in mind. That CCTV system that gets activated when someone farts is what stuck out for me and you could just tell Ridley was like 'OMG moar'. Like the review on Star Trek that also echoed my sentiments :) there was no real progression from 1 scene to the next, it was a collection of things that he wanted to happen tied together loosely by Lindelof. I could make a list longer than Star Trek with things wrong with that movie and don't hold much hope for the 2nd in the series even though Lindelof won't be returning cos he'll just find some other mug to fill in the blanks.

I think the problem with this movie was an ego that needed to be filled :/ .

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 09:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Serious question GFY, what would you say is the percentage of films you enjoy? Because according to this thread, I can tell you...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're asking me a question you know the answer to? Go ahead and put up the percentage...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Aye. I'm not sure I give my opinion on Promo but I remember thinking that Ridley Scott only requested a re-write with Lindelof to make the movie that he wanted, so he could show off the pretty special effects he had in mind.

According to Lindelof himself he says in an interview that he was brought in by Fox Studios to break the movie up and turn it into a trilogy. This is confirmed by the original writer (who initially didn't like the idea) who says they brought Lindelof on-board to help green light the production.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye, I couldn't be arsed to clarify :) but it was originally written as a 2 part done at the same time with a higher budget, Fox ? (idk) wanted to cut back on this if memory is correct. I was leaning towards the idea that Scott had some input in his selection and his hands in the script.

Think Lindelof is mostly to blame, wether Scott was pulling strings or not a better writer could prolly have made a much linear film. The most frustrating thing about that movie is the exact problem LOST had.

Speaking of which, when was the last time you were promised questions would be answered only to be left in a state of wut ?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
You're asking me a question you know the answer to? Go ahead and put up the percentage...

Let me rephrase that...I could tell you, if I was arsed to go back and do the math. I'm just curious if you had an idea off hand what it might be...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't a clue and never really thought about it. Since you obviously have thought about it, I'm just curious if you had an idea off hand what it might be...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-25-2013 12:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not off hand, no...

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-26-2013 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

star trek into dorkness - 6/10 - fine as a summer action flick (is that what the originals were? i'm not old enough to remember), but has no depth beyond some overwrought crying as various characters die/un-die. without the pure awesomeness of Cumberbatch it would have been more like 3/10. and i say that as someone with no loyalty whatsoever to any of the previous (camp) star trek incarnations. very much what one would expect from Michael Bay.. umm, i mean JJ Abrams.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 12:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Perks of being a Wallflower 2/10

Inconceivably dull chickflick which my girl attempted to make me sit through, that bitch.
About a young man who is an insecure dramaqueen, excells in English class because he reads books, which makes him smart and meanwhile the mean jocks tease him but wait, a troubled goth girl likes him and AAHHH jesus fuck my brain. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 12:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah women seem to be hard-wired to like sappy bullshit and drag their menfolk along for the ride. Life of Pi = two hours of my life i won't get back. what a crock

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 12:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Isn't it just. They should make a movie about that phenomenon and call it The Woes of Being Manfolk or somesuch.

I forgot:

Holy Motors 8/10

In the first scene of this one we see a man waking up, lighting a cigarette and that's the last normal thing that happens. It goes off the rails immediately and decends into a totally surreal LSD trip. Worth watching for the high powered weirdness, Lynch ain't got nothing on this.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 05:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Someone should really introduce RDJ to the bliss that is heroin.
Make him "edgy" again :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cocaine was his poison i believe.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah ok.
Seriously though, I'd like it if he wasn't revered as some sort of Jesus, just because he doesn't do now anymore what he shouldn't have done in the first place.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Iron Man 3.
He's in the suit. He's not in the suit. In. Out. In another one. Out again. Back in. STOP. STOP IT. STOP TAKING THE BLOODY THING OFF.

lol

One day, one day you'll fight the urge to watch this crap. One day.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You will watch this crap. And then you will complain about it.

Face it, you need this crap to hate it as much as others need it to enjoy it.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't watched a single "superhero" movie since the last Dark Knight film.

I've learned my lesson. I hope you all eventually learn yours.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why do you hate fun?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 07:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, for reals...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think a better question is "why I don't like stupid movies?"

Actually Plan B, an even better question is "why do you like stupid movies?"
And yet another question, but this one more targeted,"Why does it bother xer0s that I don't like the same stupid movies he does?"

We might get an answer from my first question, but I guarantee we won't get an answer for the second question, because xer0s has no backbone. He'll explain to you his retarded reasoning only in a PM discussion (which he's asked several members to do) because refuses to be honest on the forum...cause he's chicken shit and lacking the mental ability to defend his opinions. If you need proof, just ask him to explain his political opinion on anything and watch him turtle.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, "stupid movies".
People need these movies to feel empowered.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like these movies because they give me directions on how to defend myself for when the apocalypse comes.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
I like these movies because they give me directions on how to defend myself for when the apocalypse comes.

Then I highly recommend "Red Dawn". :olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Yeah, "stupid movies".
People need these movies to feel empowered.

No, they need them to point out to others as a bad example of how a story can be told. Pretty basic stuff, really. It's the same reason they show young kids a video of a guy stuffing his face into the spinning blade of a table saw: so that you can learn that doing that specific thing is a bad idea without actually having to experience it.

Oh and *cough*

Plan B wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
The Host

Why do you even bother with this crapola?

:p

And as expected, Plan B answered my question. And as expected, xer0s never will. :olo:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-27-2013 01:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Memphis wrote:
Iron Man 3.
He's in the suit. He's not in the suit. In. Out. In another one. Out again. Back in. STOP. STOP IT. STOP TAKING THE BLOODY THING OFF.

lol

One day, one day you'll fight the urge to watch this crap. One day.

oi fuckbag, now you're crossing the line. Don't blame the action flick that's based on a comic, it's good to see movies that are still made to be fun. Unlike Star Trek of course, that wasn't fun.

Memph can fuck himself too, moaning about Iron Man. Weirdo.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-31-2013 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I thought that's how it did end.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-02-2013 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pandorum

IMDB

sci fi / horror / action

An old review for information, but I might add I was surprised by the appearance of (old) Dennis Quaid, but seems Ben Foster (never really noticed the actor before) stole the show and did a tremendous job.
Cam Gigandet & Antje Traue get good marks too :up:

I watched the credits to see where and when, simply I don't recall it being mentioned before - Berlin, Germany and 2009

Look, to be fair, and I said in the first half of the movie, this is rubbish, but it got better.

I wondered how long I could endure, and I love my sci fi, but thankfully the plot developed and with the aid of the actors I was near satisfied, note not impressed.

...and from Wiki
Quote:
The film's title refers to a fictional psychological condition of astronauts who fly through deep space.

If you have time to view, good and well, but don't seek this one out.

6/10

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.