Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        q3a on Linux: everything got very dark or black (multitextur

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q3a on Linux: everything got very dark or black (multitextur

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-17-2013 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

some weeks ago (maybe 4-5) everything in q3a got very dark, or black. I'm running quake3 v1.32 (b or c), Fedora 19 (64bit), with the nvidia driver (xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-319.32-7.fc19.x86_64). I'd be grateful if someone has an idea what has gone wrong. It seems it might have something to do with multitextures. Anyone know how to turn them off? Below is a screenshot of how things look, more or less. I have r_gamma set to "2", which makes it possible to sort-of play, even when everything is so dark. The screenshot was almost black, so I increased the levels ot what it looks like for me with my r_gamma setting.

cheers,

Lagavulin

--screenshot--

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-17-2013 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try backing up and then deleting your .cfg files and let the game recreate defaults and see if that helps.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-18-2013 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

> Try backing up and then deleting your .cfg files and let the game recreate defaults and see if that helps.

sorry -- I should have mentioned. I've tried that, but no change.

lagavulin

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-19-2013 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

check your config for the setting r_ignorehwgamma
set it to 0 or 1 .. and restart

see if that works

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-20-2013 01:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

/vid_restart to speed things up.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-20-2013 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's what Axbaby said, but also check you haven't got an autoexec.cfg adding that r_ignorehwgamma setting.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-24-2013 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
check your config for the setting r_ignorehwgamma
set it to 0 or 1 .. and restart

see if that works

It was set to 0, I tried changing it to 1 (yes, with vid_restart), but it makes no difference.

cheers,

lagavulin

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-24-2013 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

does this happen on every map ? maybe you got some bad .pk3

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-25-2013 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
does this happen on every map ? maybe you got some bad .pk3

yep, every map.

lagavulin

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-25-2013 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have you considered reinstalling without any third party maps or rolling back on the nvidia driver

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.