The last movie you saw

Open discussion about any topic, as long as you abide by the rules of course!
Whiskey 7

Re: The last movie you saw

Post by Whiskey 7 »

Finally got to see

The Road (2009)

You've probably seen this. A post-apocalyptic story of a man and his son trying to survive and traveling the 'road', to where I don't know.
Pretty dark & depressing at the start but as the character unfolds the sky brightens somewhat.

Yes, view if you get a chance. 7.5/10

IMDB
[color=#FFBF00]Physicist [/color][color=#FF4000]of[/color] [color=#0000FF]Q3W[/color]
GONNAFISTYA

Post by GONNAFISTYA »

The Road = 3/10 - Good production values and good acting. That's it. Everything else is a waste of time. Sorry Whiskey, but I downloaded this movie on your suggestion and, based on most of your high ratings for really bad movies, I'm just gonna have to go ahead and never take your advice on movies ever again. :p

Seriously...the movie ended nearly exactly where it started with nothing that happened in-between being of any consequence whatsoever. Quite possibly the most pointless film I've ever seen. The depressing and brooding theme of the movie just helps make you feel more empty at the end. Yes, it's a story, just not a satisfying one.

Knife Fight = 5.5/10 - A lower budget and a lower quality of production doesn't really hurt this movie one bit. It's not a thriller or a drama or any of that stupid bullshit you normally get with a political-intrigue based movie...just a pretty generic and predictable story that you somehow find yourself watching all the way through...for some reason, even with the horrible acting from nearly the entire cast.

I really didn't want to like this movie because it's cheaply made and it has Rob Lowe, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

No problem with your view on it GONNAFISTYA as it is healthy to hear opposition occasionally.

I said post-apocalyptic, pretty dark & depressing and you, a depressing and brooding theme.

Yes, I agree it is a pointless film but that is the point; it was pointless tying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.

They would have been hunted down for food early as those camp fires at night would have been a real beacon for the 'bad guys', those cannibals to hone in on.

I too felt empty at the end, near depressed at the fruitless attempt at survival.

My opinion firm :)
[color=#FFBF00]Physicist [/color][color=#FF4000]of[/color] [color=#0000FF]Q3W[/color]
feedback

Post by feedback »

Riddick 6/10, I give it that as a fan of the series.

The production value and acting is uneven, there are some scenes that you can't believe were the best takes and made it into the film, and some effects that look like from a TV movie, while others look really good.

Still, very fun and enjoyable mindless movie.
I love quake!
xer0s

Post by xer0s »

The Descendents 7/10

No doubt about it, George is a solid actor.

I seem to give a lot of 7's. I guess I enjoy most films, rarely love films, and have a hard time hating films...
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

Whiskey 7 wrote:Yes, I agree it is a pointless film but that is the point; it was pointless tying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.
Quite contrary to what I felt.
"Do you carry the fire?"
"What? Well, yes, I carry the fire."

A glimpse of hope. That's what the movie is about, for what I take from it.
The pointlessness was the cause of the destruction/annihilation. And that was a brilliant move, imo.
I rate it 8/10, have to read the book.
GONNAFISTYA

Post by GONNAFISTYA »

For me the pointlessness wasn't about the fact that they never explained the catastrophic event that caused the post-apocalyptic world...for me the pointlessness of it was that there were no story arcs in any of the characters throughout the entire film...in the end the kid was simply being taken care of by someone else, so he didn't progress as a character and learned nothing of what his father taught him, especially after his father himself fell apart after coming to grips with his wife's abandonment of their family...which was probably the ONLY arc in the entire story.

Much like the film "The Descendents" this movie's only purpose for existence is Oscar-bait to make people sad. At least The Road wasn't as blatantly cynical as "The Descendents"...that film made me lose all respect for anyone involved in it, including George Clooney. They're watchable, but if I had the chance I wouldn't watch them again.

All told, after watching The Road (and remembering how ridiculous "The Descendents" was) I'd probably have higher spirits if I watched a snuff film.
xer0s

Post by xer0s »

Why are you putting quotation marks on The Descendents?
GONNAFISTYA

Post by GONNAFISTYA »

Dunno...it was a proper name. I could have also used italic font. Or not. Why, in all that I've typed about a movie we disagree about, did you focus on that?

Did I make you cry as much as you probably cried while watching "The Descendents"?
xer0s

Post by xer0s »

Just curious. I found it odd since we talk a lot of movies in here (obviously in a film thread), and no one, including yourself ever italicizes or quotes titles. And yet you did it for that one...
GONNAFISTYA

Post by GONNAFISTYA »

I'm hard like that.
ToxicBug

Post by ToxicBug »

feedback wrote:Riddick 6/10, I give it that as a fan of the series.

The production value and acting is uneven, there are some scenes that you can't believe were the best takes and made it into the film, and some effects that look like from a TV movie, while others look really good.

Still, very fun and enjoyable mindless movie.
I've been looking forward to reading a review here. Big fan of the series, too. Gonna go see it regardless, most likely in IMAX or at least UltraAVX. Hoping it's gonna be an entertaining two hours.
Plan B

Post by Plan B »

Seven Psychopaths.

Reasonably enjoyable, because it has some entertaining performances by actors I like, but the story/plot felt empty.
I like when reality and fiction intertwine in movies and affect eachother, but it was executed quite poorly in this.
The episodical stories themselves were ok, but the overarching narrative fell flat.
LawL

Post by LawL »

ToxicBug wrote: I've been looking forward to reading a review here.
:olo:
Thick, solid and tight in all the right places.
Plan B

Post by Plan B »

What keeps you here?
LawL

Post by LawL »

Your enthralling posts.
Thick, solid and tight in all the right places.
Plan B

Post by Plan B »

LawL wrote:Your enthralling posts.
Understandable
Ferrao10

Post by Ferrao10 »

GONNAFISTYA wrote:...for me the pointlessness of it was that there were no story arcs in any of the characters throughout the entire film...in the end the kid was simply being taken care of by someone else, so he didn't progress as a character and learned nothing of what his father taught him...
I think what the kid learned from his father's love was natural trust.
Like, don't trust anybody but, if that chance comes, bet on that one card and trust. We have to act the same way even in this "functional" world.
Also the kid had to learn to make his own decisions. The father made them before he died. Very generic, but a natural arc in a kid's life.
The kid also had to learn not to trust everyone, on the other side.
Don't know what version you saw, there was a cut version floating around. The original BD runs about 1:52 including credits.
The cut version does not contain the actions that take place in the farm house's basement. It is a pretty important element though, I think. At least concerning the kid.
The father's arc was a downward spiral, I absolutely agree. He couldn't hang on to life after the catastrophy and his own loss of his wife. He tried for the sake of the kid but he lost. But for his arc, could you imagine yourself in that role? I couldn't. I would probably have acted just like he did. This is no Superman movie. His former life was annihilated and there is no perspective, no future, only the kid and, thus, survival in that world.
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

Sorry, I have to ask so forgive my ignorance or lack of language skills; what does the word arc mean in this text?

It has been used a couple of times by
GONNAFISTYA
..which was probably the ONLY arc in the entire story..

Ferrao10
.. But for his arc could you imagine yourself in that role..

Just curious.
YourGrandpa

Post by YourGrandpa »

losCHUNK

Post by losCHUNK »

[color=red] . : [/color][size=85] You knows you knows [/size]
obsidian

Post by obsidian »

[size=85][url=http://gtkradiant.com]GtkRadiant[/url] | [url=http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com]Q3Map2[/url] | [url=http://q3map2.robotrenegade.com/docs/shader_manual/]Shader Manual[/url][/size]
YourGrandpa

Post by YourGrandpa »

losCHUNK

Post by losCHUNK »

links broke
losCHUNK

Post by losCHUNK »

Memphis wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunt
there is a movement among feminists that seeks to reclaim cunt not only as acceptable, but as an honorific, in much the same way that queer has been reappropriated by LGBT people and the word [LOL RACISM] has been by the black community.
Ain't gonna happen.
Give these cunts an island for us to bomb