Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        MSG Mapping Comp- Sector 9 "The Cytherean Outpost"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: MSG Mapping Comp- Sector 9 "The Cytherean Outpost"

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-19-2013 09:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Updated Map - Removed due to changes.

Last edited by kaustic on 09-28-2013 06:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-20-2013 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well the extra SG path certainly was a surprise :).

• The new SG path used angles on the floor edges that then angle up to where the JP throws you onto the upper level. I noted that your triangular edges when standing up there, are pretty dark and cut off at their top ends. You might like to put your triangular lights texture on those (see the lights at the top of your tube from the PG into the "cave".
  • Still not so sure about the TP opposite of the Haste. IMO it leads you you continuing running, falling towards the Haste. Gameflow is quirky here.
  • The sit into the wall alcoves on the top floor are interesting. Give the upper area more breathing space. But every one is a dead end (except the new SG path JP one). Well... guess they are OK.
  • Your JPs now are 3D... that certainly helps.
  • I still feel that the JP near the GL needs some geometry that "organically" integrates into into that part of the map. You lower RL JP in the corner uses the Q3A standard concave into the wall... maybe some asymmetric rounding (only 1/4 a circle) on the right wall would help. Presently the JP near the GL looks like someone dropped it by accident... if you see what I mean.
  • I like the glass windows.
  • Not wanting to rock the boat, but when you go the path from the lower RL, to the GL you will encounter a narrow quite cosy path. I like it actually, only from previous bot games this is pretty much a literal bottleneck in the map. So I am wondering if making is 30% wider would not improve gameflow here. One could of course see it as a deliberate place to RL wall-spam to get kills that way. Which would be a rarity (usually RL spams floors only).
  • Interesting sky, and "halos" around all the lamps. Maybe tone the halos around the lamps down a bit, i.e. make them more transparent.
  • Over all I really like the texture choices and colour of the map. Looks very nice.
  • Again not wanting to rock the boat, but when I take the SG path up the JP and towards the RG, you have these wider med level paths, to end in pretty narrow top level ones. I always find that disconcerting since I feel I might easily fall off. I admit this is a skill thing. But still, IMO, makes the top level gameflow feel gimmicky. Just a feeling, and other than moving a huge amount of brushwork there is nothing to be done about it. See this just as a comment.
  • I am still confused what paths to take and why to take them... but that could be a good thing, that the player has to work them out for him/herself. Potentially increasing replay value.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-21-2013 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Update: Played against Hardcore bots...

• I had thought the platform where the Haste TP exits would be a dead end for bots, well I did see Grunt actually jump from the RG to that platform. Interesting. But I did notice that none of the bots ever use the Haste TP. Still think some grated bridge-like structure would help navigation to and from the platform/pad.
  • It just occurred to me a grated (flimsy by all means) metal bridge between the exists of the LG TP and the Haste TP would significantly help navigation up here. And cut down on all the "wall clinging". Another short bridge between the RG and the Haste TP exit platform would complete the path up here.
  • Overall movement on the top level around the RA towards the upper RL works very nicely. As a player you can stafe around up here and still keep focused on the action below. Neat.
  • Noted Xaero using the JP to the MH, then take the JP to the RG all on the top level... so this area is being used by the bots.
  • The exit of the LG TP seems to be pretty much where you have a player spawn point... that could be slightly problematic, i.e. telefrags.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-21-2013 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a run through with some bots. Neat map. Nice to see the haste power-up... kind of a rare one. It felt pretty balanced. Maybe having the RL a bit more central would be an idea? They both felt a bit out of the way, but perhaps that is on purpose to promote map-flow.

I think the glares coming off the lights on the walls look a bit goofy. Perhaps they could be toned down or just removed. They just look out of place to me.

Otherwise, :up:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-28-2013 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been working on it here and there. Picked up a cold a few days back and haven't been feeling up to doing much of anything.
I had been messing around with the light beams for a while. Still not being completely happy with those in the lower(foggy)
portion of the map I decided to take MRD's suggestion and just removed them. Should be an update soon. The TP's and bots
are iffy. The TP across from the Haste I've only seen 1 bot use it and that was Slash. As far as the other TP goes the aas log
shows its target position as being "in solid", which I take as it thinks its inside of a brush. A player can teleport through it with-
out getting stuck so I don't know what's up with that. I widened a couple of ledges I hadn't done earlier. Merged a bunch of
brushes ,got rid of some useless brushes and rebuilt a few structural brushes.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-28-2013 10:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is another reason I could understand the bots not using the Haste TP... there is no point for them to do so. To them (or most of them) it is a dead end, and on that platform there is nothing to pick up, so they ignore that path seeing it as a dead end. If there were "bridges" up here they might go for the RG via Haste TP...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-29-2013 01:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I took a guess as to why the bots wouldn't use the TP by the haste and it turned out to
be a good guess because they now use it quite regularly to go after the items on top of the platform
and the railgun. I placed a bot clip under the target position but the only problem is they on
occasion use it as a jump off point, which looks kinda weird. So I my end up changing where
the target position is because to expand the platform in that direction just would not look right.
I have experimented with a few different grates but as of yet I haven't seen one I would like to use
in the map. Still have some ideas though.

D/L removed , updated in latest post.

Edit: Found a grate texture I like so I added a section of framing and grate under the target
position which doesn't look totally retarded. Also I was just playing the map and the bots are
now using the TP in the LG area. I had raised the target position up by 8 units and moved a
info_player_deathmatch off to the side of the room. I guess it helped because the aas log no
longer has the TP destination as "in solid".

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe I'm going to call this one done.

Edit: Well maybe not so done after all. After reading the comments from the Judges I'll make some adjustments.

Last edited by kaustic on 10-11-2013 01:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 03:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turned out nicely, IMO.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kaustic, congratulations on winning the contest!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Neat winning (apparently)... I may maybe pad myself on the back oh so very slightly... well... not really... ;)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 11:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks DOOMer . AEon, Crayfish and mrd, I would like to thank you for your suggestions during the course of this build.
They gave me plenty to think about and I certainly appreciate it. Have to admit that I was surprised at the results and
there is already 1 person that pretty much outright stated I don't deserve it so it kinda puts a damper on the whole
thing.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 09:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haters gunna hate.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grats :up:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-22-2013 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, congrats!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-26-2013 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here are the final pk3 and Zip files (zip just has the readme external to the pk3(which is still in the pk3) ) .
I made a few adjustment and additions. I have come to the conclusion that no matter what I do to this map
it all comes down to personal preference. Some people are going to like it and some aren't, which is ok with
me.

See next post for updates.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-25-2018 06:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I spent a few weeks going over this map, Its been added onto, moved a few things and
I spent a lot of time rebuilding the hull of the map and reworking a lot of the structural
brushes. I probably should have done this long ago but its done now. Below are new links
to the updated files.

1'll post the new files soon. I uploaded the new files to Mediafire. One of the options is to replace
the old file but apparently it didn't work out that way cause it was still the old file

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-25-2018 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I personally love the look of the map, and cant wait to try it. You should use dropbox to upload your maps

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-29-2018 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well after deleting the link to the map on Mediafire I decided to load up the file on a different computer and
make sure I had uploaded the right file(I keep some older files just in case). Turns out while I was running
around in the map as I had gone around a bend the sky flashed and I'm like Damn a lightning storm in my
map. Not so lucky though. I have no idea why and after a few days of trying multiple things it turned out
that the shader script was causing the issue. So with a different script the sky works fine now. I did upload
the correct file to Mediafire though but for some reason it didn't replace the file that was already there.
I tested the download and it was fine but for some reason the model skins wont display on my computer
with RX 580's in it. I'm going to just remove them from the map and be done with it.

Update- I figured out what broke the model so I will be fixing that and compiling the map soon.

Last edited by kaustic on 05-29-2018 08:01 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-29-2018 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stop jerking us off and give us the damn map!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-29-2018 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.