Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 01:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A possible explanation as to why many recent movies feel so generic/formulaic while having interchangeable places and people.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When the last sword is drawn 2003

Really good Japanese samuari movie

at least, I think it is, because I can't tell who is who and what's been happening so I don't know wtf is going on

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Europa Report 7/10

Pretty good, could have done without the aliens, but pretty good. Especially liked what they did with the fragmented plotline, what with the cameras and so on. Kept you guessing. Also, they captured that sense of claustrophobic space dread real well.

This movie should scare the shit out of Hollywood, it's a perfect example of a small budget production being miles better than anything the big studios have to offer. Special effects no longer need high powered computers these days and if you get a decent cameraman and script writer they don't really matter anyway. Wonder what their distribution model was and how much it cost to make...

Seen Timecrimes ?, I'm not sure I should be recommending it but I caught it after watching a film called Triangle with a similiar story and thought both were great

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 06:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
A possible explanation as to why many recent movies feel so generic/formulaic while having interchangeable places and people.

interesting. thanks for the link. :up:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pacific Rim 7/10

Wasted possibility. More Evangelion, less Independence Day would have been perfect.

Annoying characters. Best action scenes in a long time though. The slow punches rock!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 10:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pacific Rim = 5.5/10 - Not horrible, not great and I'd seriously bet my left testicle that Guillermo del Toro's wish of relighting people's interest in Godzilla-type movies will fail horribly. But with today's audiences being incredibly tolerant of retarded films, maybe...but I doubt it.

The film has a really long boring stretch in the middle where they try to make you care for the characters, but it's a waste of time as there really are no characters and no real acting in the whole movie and oh-my-god is Charlie Hunnam a horrible actor. He really should work only on Sons Of Anarchy, where his lip-biting scowl can be appreciated properly.

If you're gonna see it, see it in the theatre where the "epicness" of the battle scenes can be done proper on the big screen with a thumping sound system. It's certainly not the worst movie to come out this summer...not by a fucking long shot...and probably only because of the huge battle scenes.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 11:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well said

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Pacific Rim = 5.5/10 - Not horrible, not great and I'd seriously bet my left testicle that Guillermo del Toro's wish of relighting people's interest in Godzilla-type movies will fail horribly. But with today's audiences being incredibly tolerant of retarded films, maybe...but I doubt it.

The film has a really long boring stretch in the middle where they try to make you care for the characters, but it's a waste of time as there really are no characters and no real acting in the whole movie and oh-my-god is Charlie Hunnam a horrible actor. He really should work only on Sons Of Anarchy, where his lip-biting scowl can be appreciated properly.

If you're gonna see it, see it in the theatre where the "epicness" of the battle scenes can be done proper on the big screen with a thumping sound system. It's certainly not the worst movie to come out this summer...not by a fucking long shot...and probably only because of the huge battle scenes.

I 100% agree with this....

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 01:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had Pacific Rim on DVD for years, but it stars a bunch of hot guys from Tonga.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Wolverine 6.5~7

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Told you giant fighting robots can make a film :D

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivion was great.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck you, Sally.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, but if Tom Cruise was replaced with that actor you go gay for, would you still feel the same?

(Haven't seen the fucking thing yet, may very well be garbage, with or without the toothy midget)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, Jeff Bridges could've played the part well but he's too old.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you're gay for Jeff Bridges ey?
Interesting, daddy issues, apparently...
*strokes beard*

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
*strokes beard*

trip up down there, ffs

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
So you're gay for Jeff Bridges ey?
Interesting, daddy issues, apparently...
*strokes beard*

SoM is a great poster compared to you.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're hurt somehow. Like it has something to do with you. And now you're in a bad place.
Don't get mad. It's just a movie.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And there it is.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-27-2013 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-29-2013 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wolverine - 7/10

I liked it, but I haven't read the original story. It was an entertaining action movie, but nowhere as good as X-MEN First Class.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-29-2013 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Colony = 5/10 - A low-budget thriller (of sorts) that isn't very thrilling or entertaining really. Some really bad acting from some actors who I know have done better....probably just there for the paycheque. Best finishing move on "the bad guy" in a while. :up:

Watch it if you're bored and have nothing else.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-29-2013 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
Wolverine - 7/10

I liked it, but I haven't read the original story. It was an entertaining action movie, but nowhere as good as X-MEN First Class.

I was actually thinking of seeing Wolverine simply because it tells the story of his Japanese history/connections...which was probably the single greatest comic short series in history. However, I have a feeling it's not even about that and simply set in Japan...done on purpose so that morons like me who read the comic will blindly flock in to watch...so I'll probably skip it. And since you said it wasn't as good as X-Men First Class - which was not just fucking horrible, but cynically fucking horrible - I'll probably be happy I didn't see it.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-29-2013 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:
Wolverine - 7/10

I was actually thinking of seeing Wolverine simply because it tells the story of his Japanese history/connections...which was probably the single greatest comic short series in history. However, I have a feeling it's not even about that and simply set in Japan...done on purpose so that morons like me who read the comic will blindly flock in to watch...so I'll probably skip it. And since you said it wasn't as good as X-Men First Class - which was not just fucking horrible, but cynically fucking horrible - I'll probably be happy I didn't see it.

I went to see Wolverine with a friend who read the original comic, he didn't like the movie because they changed the story too much. I think you're doing the right thing. I have SCENE, so all my movies are free. I would probably think twice before seeing it otherwise.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-29-2013 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-30-2013 04:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wolverine Origins and Xmen First Class were SO FUCKING BAD that I'm skipping it, too. I just don't trust them enough to see it in the theater.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-30-2013 05:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Xmen First Class had Michael Fassbender in it, so it's worth watching just for him because he's so incredibly hot.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 07-30-2013 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Michael Fassbender, more like Michael Assbender amirite?

PostPosted: 08-01-2013 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Oblivion (2013) tonight, liked it a lot despite it's independence-day flaws

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-01-2013 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Score or GTFO

PostPosted: 08-01-2013 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

7/10

redline
redline
PostPosted: 08-01-2013 07:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Conjuring - 7.5/10

I liked it a lot, it was really scary. The plot didn't resolve a major piece of the movie, though, which I found really disappointing.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-05-2013 09:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Red

Released in 2010 and a classic Bruce Willis movie.

Top marks for the accompanying actors Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich & Karl Urban. Great job.

Loved every moment - 8/10

I see there is a Red 2 in the tube :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

by 'in the tube' you mean 'in the cinemas', right?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.