Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Batman: Arkham Origins

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Batman: Arkham Origins

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Batman: Arkham Origins takes place "before the rise of Gotham City's most dangerous criminals, [and] showcases a young and unrefined Batman as he faces a defining moment in his early career as a crime fighter that sets his path to becoming the Dark Knight," game developer WB Games Montréal said in a statement. "As the story unfolds, players will meet many important characters for the first time and forge key relationships."

"WB Games Montreal had an incredibly talented team building upon Rocksteady's award-winning gameplay and technology to deliver a deep, immersive, quality experience fans will love."

Part of that team is creative director Eric Holmes, known for his work on The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype, Game Informer reported.

Not sure how I feel about Rocksteady not being behind the development and bringing in the lead designer from Prototype, rofl.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417588,00.asp

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey look, another superhero origins story. I wonder if we can start calling Origins its own genre now.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 09:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well they kinda have to, the way Arkham City ended. Also, Batman has a bunch of story arcs so I suppose this is set in Silver Age.
We'll see if these guys can make a game as good as Rocksteady.. Only 6 months to go.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read about this last night and my initial excitement dwindled as I realised that the original team had little to do with it :S

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Not sure how I feel about Rocksteady not being behind the development and bringing in the lead designer from Prototype

It's going to be infuriatingly shitty.
That's how you feel :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 09:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

should I play the other two before this?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you should play the other two regardless.
the first one in particular if you're into metroidvania.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I beat Dark Souls 5 years ago when all the cool kids did it.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-20-2013 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cinematic trailer

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-16-2013 11:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a gameplay video (actual gameplay starts a few minutes into the video and lasts for 10 mins or so). Looks like it's more of the same as Arkham City. Bit of a shame, because Arkham City truly was a huge leap over Arkham Asylum and this looks like it's little more than a cash-in. Guess this was to be expected though.

The detective reconstruction stuff looks cool though. Reminds me of "Remember Me" a bit.

Last edited by Eraser on 06-17-2013 01:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-17-2013 01:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah defo on the "Remember Me" bit

I'm quite happy with more though; loved the first two

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-17-2013 01:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I enjoyed the first a lot more than the second, although i can't quite put my finger on why that was exactly. Possibly i just enjoyed the story more.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-17-2013 02:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes. the second was awesome, but the first was more focussed.
also, more metroidvania elements.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-17-2013 03:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Looks like it's more of the same as Arkham City. Bit of a shame, because Arkham City truly was a huge leap over Arkham Asylum and this looks like it's little more than a cash-in. Guess this was to be expected though.

Yeah, I was really disappointed when they said the streets of Gotham would be empty. It would've been cool to swoop in and save citizens in distress from a group of bad guys or have a big fight in the middle of a busy intersection. Arkham City, albeit a great game, felt claustrophobic and restrictive with how small the map was. Being able to play as Catwoman was probably the best part.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-17-2013 06:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trannie talk

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-17-2013 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no u

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-01-2013 12:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arkham Origins gets multiplayer. Splash Damage is doing the multiplayer for the game. Not sure if this is Warner Bros giving in to the "must have multiplayer" hype or what. Must say the 3v3v2 concept sounds interesting though. More details about how it works can be found here.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-01-2013 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Splash Damage has a good history for multiplayer, especially when it comes to asymmetric team balancing. However, multiplayer for a game like the Arkham series seems rather unconventional and may not get a lot of play. Hopefully WB is tossing huge bags of cash at them so SD can work on some proper multiplayer games like Dirty Bomb.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-01-2013 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Strange to tack MP onto a typical SP franchise, but curious to see how it works out.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-01-2013 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Not sure if this is Warner Bros giving in to the "must have multiplayer" hype or what.

Everyone's doing it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-02-2013 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Strange to tack MP onto a typical SP franchise, but curious to see how it works out.

worked well enough for Wolf.
and SplinterCell.
and Assassin's Creed.
or loads of other games that I can't think of right now.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-22-2013 10:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Out this week - I preordered so it should be here Friday. They've showcased quite a lot more cool stuff recently so I'm looking forward to it

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 08:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that 17 min gameplay video they released recently didnt look entirely convincing to me either. Not a day 1 purchase for me this. Will probably get it somewhere down the line when it's slightly cheaper.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Animation etc is the last thing to be polished

We shall see....

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People who truly get upset about animations piss me off because - without fail - they're the same idiots who'd prefer the animation plays correctly over the gameplay "playing" correctly. And alot of those fools actually work in the games industry and have management positions. :down:

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah the fools, wanting the animation to look good. What fucking idiots. Next they'll be saying they want the graphics to be good.

FFS people.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You obviously did not read what I said, Mr.PostTwiceAYearCuntrag.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-23-2013 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a free Steam download for this with my GTX 770...scared?..

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-24-2013 12:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
People who truly get upset about animations piss me off because - without fail - they're the same idiots who'd prefer the animation plays correctly over the gameplay "playing" correctly. And alot of those fools actually work in the games industry and have management positions. :down:

That's a bit of a stretch there sparky. I think pretty animations can add a lot to a game. The animations shown in Arkham Origins are in some cases absolutely abysmal. They detract from the overall gameplay experience. Considering that the gameplay in both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were top notch, I think it's only fair to complain about the quality of the animation in Origins. Besides, the animations in Asylum/City were pretty good. The difference between old and new animations is quite stark to be honest.

As another example, if you look at Rage, while it was slammed for it's gameplay by many people, I seriously enjoyed the game. But one thing that, to this day, really stood out in there was the absolutely phenomenal work done on the animation of the monsters. It really did add something to the quality of the enemies. Made them more lifelike, more impressive. And that does add to the overall experience.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-24-2013 05:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's also an argument to be made that in a lot of top-end fighting games or spectacle fighters, animation IS the gameplay.
Animation cancelling has become a feature in games such as the Street Fighter series.
And timing attacks in Platinum games is incredibly reliant on smooth, accurate animation.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 10-24-2013 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

I always ride what you bicycle.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-24-2013 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

I always ride what you bicycle.

:olo:

Mat Linnett wrote:
There's also an argument to be made that in a lot of top-end fighting games or spectacle fighters, animation IS the gameplay.
Animation cancelling has become a feature in games such as the Street Fighter series.
And timing attacks in Platinum games is incredibly reliant on smooth, accurate animation.

You make a great point. :up:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-24-2013 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

That's a bit of a stretch there sparky. I think pretty animations can add a lot to a game. The animations shown in Arkham Origins are in some cases absolutely abysmal. They detract from the overall gameplay experience. Considering that the gameplay in both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were top notch, I think it's only fair to complain about the quality of the animation in Origins. Besides, the animations in Asylum/City were pretty good. The difference between old and new animations is quite stark to be honest.

As another example, if you look at Rage, while it was slammed for it's gameplay by many people, I seriously enjoyed the game. But one thing that, to this day, really stood out in there was the absolutely phenomenal work done on the animation of the monsters. It really did add something to the quality of the enemies. Made them more lifelike, more impressive. And that does add to the overall experience.

Ok, obviously I'll have to explain what I mean:

A game avatar has several rules it must follow as it moves through the game world. Objects must be within a certain range of size (metrics) to be usable by the avatar for gameplay. This means a crate must be at least a metre high for the avatar to take cover behind it, jump over it, butt-slide over it or use it as a launch pad to reach a higher elevation. The engine does measurements of the environment all the time (with the avatar shooting rays and measuring distances) to figure out how much room the avatar has to move, where obstacles are, etc. In short: the environment must be correct for the avatar to move.

In some studios, it's not the environment that dictates the avatar movement, but the animations...especially with 3rd person games. This focus on the animations is a recent thing in the industry because devs (but mostly marketing teams) want the avatar to look "correct" as it's jumping around. Similar to graphics, smooth, life-like animations are now a "tick box item" that marketing teams put on the packaging as a "next gen feature". In Assassin's Creed, this is one of the most important things the bigwigs at Ubisoft wanted to focus on and they have loads of promotional videos telling their customers how much effort they put into making the animations much nicer. Again, this is simply about marketing focus and has as much to do with gameplay as occlusion culling or bump-mapping, but it can completely change the approach to game design.

And that creates a huge problem with a stark "yes" or "no" answer as it relates to gamer satisfaction and keeping them in "the flow". Even if the environment is setup perfectly for the avatar to move around and jump over that park bench over there, the avatar will NOT move and jump over the park bench if there's no supporting animation. The avatar will most likely bump into the park bench and run on the spot for a time before the gamer gives new movement direction inputs to the avatar. This can cause frustration because the avatar is not doing what the gamer expects it to when things look like they should be climbable. In short: with this approach, the animation must be correct for the avatar to move...the environment doesn't matter. The level designers could have spent loads of time and effort to get the environment usable and within metrics, but if the animation team doesn't do it's job, you get this scenario:

"I PRESSED THE FUCKING BUTTON!!!"

Like I said, some people think the animation is more important than the actual gameplay satisfaction...and that's fucking retarded.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-24-2013 09:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah my copy came yesterday...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-24-2013 09:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/batma ... eview.html

Batman: Arkham Origins is a wonderful version of somebody else's game. While a return to the Arkham series is welcome – and if you take only one thing away from this review, it should be that Origins is a worthy entry – there's no denying that Warner Bros. Montreal has taken Rocksteady's tremendous template and crafted a similar experience.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.