Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Diablo III


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Diablo III

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 35080
PostPosted: 08-24-2012 06:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


U4EA wrote:
They're also banning people from the forums for posting anything with a negative slant in that thread.

Surprise!



_________________
YourGrandpa wrote:
I'm satisfied with voicing my opinion and moving on.


Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


rofl, finally finished the game on Inferno. I don't really feel compelled to play anymore. I guess I could sell all my gear on the RMAH...



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24520
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 05:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Cause it got boring, fast. At least for me it did. I don't think I made it past 50 on my Barbarian. I had high hopes for this, but it just couldn't keep my attention...




Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The reason I'm not playing Torchlight 2 is the realization that many of your character customization choices are permanent. No way in hell will I spend, say, 40 hours on my first character, then have to start over from scratch because I changed my mind about what kind of build I wanted to use. That shit is so fucking stupid. Why in the fuck would a developer in 2012 make that kind of design decision?

Edit: Furthermore, allocating stat points is so incremental that it just feels dumb to me for a couple of reasons. Oh, leveled up! Time to put a single fucking point into this or that stat, increasing the effect of the stat by an undetectable amount (gameplay-wise), and oh, better put enough points into this stat so I reach the arbitrary minimum in order to equip these boots! Again, what the flying fuck. To me, I look at Diablo 3's systems and it's lightyears ahead. They actually understand that nobody gives a shit about incremental stat increases -- they want gameplay changes based on your build decisions, and those build changes shouldn't require a god damn re-roll just because you didn't quite know what you were doing when you were leveling/building your first character. Jesus.

I criticize D3, too, though. I agree with many that the auction house system really ruined the game. Especially at this point. You can buy very powerful legendaries for like $5 on the RMAH. If you can buy all of your gear, and not only that, you can buy the BEST gear, that completely neuters the item hunt, which is the entire point of the game. Diablo has its own problems, but to me, its gameplay is so far superior to Torchlight's that I have a hard time imagining investing in TL2.

If I'm completely missing the point about Torchlight, I wish somebody would educate me. I'd really like to be wrong about it. It looks fun.



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Top
                 

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 3560
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Mogul wrote:
The reason I'm not playing Torchlight 2 is the realization that many of your character customization choices are permanent.


Memphis wrote:
Bump for this very, very useful Rapid Respec mod.

Complete recustomisation - names, pets, aesthetics, skills and stat points and does not flag you as 'cheating'.


From the Torchlight 2 thread.




Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I read this last night and decided to give it another shot. On principle, though, having to use this program to hack your character file is kind of fucked. If I can deal with the leveling grind and almost complete lack of community resources, I will report back. (games like this make you really value resources like Elitist Jerks for WoW or Kripparian's YouTube channel for Diablo barbarians... this game's theorycraft "community" is very fragmented and hard-to-find :()



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Top
                 

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 2100
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 08:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I completely avoided Torchlight 2, because I was already burnt out on the hack-n-slash genre from playing D3. Is Torchlight 2 really that different that I should bother playing it?




Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Its character progression system is very different from D3's. If you liked D2, you will appreciate Torchlight's progression systems, I think. If you really enjoyed D3, you'll probably really dislike Torchlight's systems. Gameplay-wise, yeah they're pretty similar.



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Top
                 

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 2100
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Yea, if the game is similar to something that I was finished playing 12 years ago, I'll pass. At least D3 strays from their past conventions a little bit.




Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The implication of saying there's more variety in builds in a game light Torchlight over D3 probably overstates the reality of the situation, even if it is literally true to some extent. Seems to me that the biggest differences are going to be stat point allocation -- a totally boring, barely noticeable (apart from extreme point allocation differentiation) difference. Jay "Fuck that guy" Wilson, lead designer on D3, explains this problem with D2/Torchlight in some video interview he did a few months prior to D3's launch.

Also, any game with a big enough community will produce cookie cutter builds. Even Torchlight has them -- just go to any class' forums on the Runic site, and you'll see. There aren't as many cookie cutter builds, I suspect, because the community is so fragmented and there doesn't seem to be a centralized forum where the most knowledgeable players are able to math out and debate what the best builds are (a la Elitist Jerks for WoW).



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Experimenting is a huge part of the fun. Not when each experiment might cost me 50 hours or whatever.



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24520
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 11:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


But should you be forced to use a mod to have a good time? The game you pay for should be the full package...




Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I intend to use the character hacking program you mentioned as I give the game a second chance, Memphis. I hope this information calms you down a little bit. :(



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24520
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I think I'll try Torchlight 2...




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24520
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 11:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I see your point...




Top
                 

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 2100
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 12:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


How are the drops in Torchlight 2? Torchlight 1 rarely dropped any good loot, which made character progression pretty difficult in the mid to later levels.




Top
                 

Elite
Elite
Joined: 25 Mar 2000
Posts: 9985
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Memphis wrote:
If you keep it up I'm going to personally knit-you a hair-shirt from what you're gonna cause me to lose and make you wear it going down the longest fibreglass slide in existence, whilst on fire :mad:


I might have to try this shit out :olo:

Did you ever try Hellgate: London? IIRC that was basically an FPS version of Diablo made by (I think) Max Schaefer (D2 dude) and perhaps one other D1/D2 guy. Is Torchlight from the same company? Hellgate pretty much fell flat on its face from what I recall, which is a shame because the notion is pretty cool.




Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19997
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


i played some Hellgate London, it was shit, only descent thing were the CGI's



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
Joined: 26 Nov 2000
Posts: 11930
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I'm not playing Torchlight 2 because the combat engine pales next to D3's.

Also, Hellgate London was utter garbage.




Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Memphis wrote:
xer0s wrote:
But should you be forced to use a mod to have a good time? The game you pay for should be the full package...


Well that's all well and good, except how do you define 'full package' to design decisions in game mechanics? I've explained how it's a legitimate route to have taken, to encourage re-rolling new characters and experimentation with a slow-burner approach to longevity. Those that do want to roll one character and tweak away on-the-fly and beat it one go, still can. However, that's not and never has been the point of playing pretty much any RPG ever, action or otherwise. It's a bitter pill for the insta-gratification crowd and those that don't want to invest serious time on a single game (which btw, includes me) - but then why even cater to this alone, when it would be detriment to the game's whole underlying foundation - to build a suitable character to progress through the content? They've kept the game in the game, not without merit - yet those that want it gone and have it their way, still can.


Ironically, I've spent something like 200 hours on Diablo 3 so far and would spend more if it had a legitimate endgame. I can barely stand 2 hours of Torchlight 2 lol.



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51908
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 11:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


So having never played any of the Diablo games before, I tried the demo on PS3 and I am likely to purchase this when I get paid. Fucking hell it's addictive




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 44007
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 12:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


it's apparently 20 times better on console.
(i bought it, havent played it yet.)




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51908
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 01:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Really? I assume because there is such a big difference between the release dates that they fixed all the issues and listened to people bitch about how bad it was and fixed that as well?




Top
                 

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
Joined: 26 Nov 2000
Posts: 11930
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 01:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Probably because there's no AH [gold or real money] cheese factor.




Top
                 

Shambolic
Shambolic
Joined: 11 Apr 2000
Posts: 7903
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 01:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


As far as I know, the console version gets rid of the two major things that pissed off PC users: Online only and the Auction house.

It also goes further at waving its willy in the faces of PC users and adds LAN functionality, something that Blizzard started removing from their PC games with the advent of Starcraft 2.

And then they turn around and announce they have no intention of bringing the PC version in-line with the console one.




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51908
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 01:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Well I might be getting the PS3/360 version soon. I planned to have a quick 30 mins on it and I ended up being sat there for 3 hours. Excellent way of becoming a hermit




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 44007
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 02:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Also more Legendary drops and a dodge move




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51908
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 02:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


What I will do first, is wait til my copy of GTA5 gets here and see how that holds my attention.




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 24520
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I was really pumped about the PC version (as you can tell from this thread), but it just couldn't hold my attention in the end. And that's exactly what I was looking for, something that I could play for many hours and months.

I might give the 360 demo a try, but honestly, next week when GTAV is released, I won't be doing anything else...




Top
                 

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
Joined: 23 May 1973
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The console version goes a long way toward remedying some of the worst problems of the PC version. Item drop rates (and the stats generated on the items when they spawn) were balanced around the fact that the auction house exists in the PC game. That means way more trash drops because actually useful items would flood the AH if they were easily obtainable, driving their value down. In other words, the chance of actually getting a great item to drop while farming is extremely low, so you feel compelled to buy them on the AH. That's a problem in a game where, at max level, the only reason to play is to become more powerful through gear. If you can just buy it on the AH, and there's not a realistic chance it will drop for you unless you farm like 500 hours (literally), that's a shitty endgame with zero incentive.

In the console version, the AH doesn't exist so everything changes. In fact, they probably over-corrected, but I'd say it's more fun than the PC version. There's no AH in the console game, so the drop rates have been adjusted. Legendary items drop WAY more often, and there's a system in place to give the items a better chance that their stats will be useful for your character. Thus, it's actually productive for you to go farm items by playing the fucking game instead of playing the AH interface.

The PC game will receive a drop system like this when 2.0 hits, shortly before the expansion. While the AH isn't going away, this item drop system is being adopted, negating the importance of the AH. They're also adding several new gameplay modes for the endgame, as well as ladders and clans (!) in the expansion. Oh and the new class and act. The future of Diablo 3 is pretty bright. It seems to me that nearly every problem with the current PC game is being addressed. I wish it didn't take them so long, but oh well.



_________________
This line only remake is total rubbish I've ever seen!!! Fuck off!!! --CZghost


Last edited by Mogul on 09-13-2013 09:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43504
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Mogul wrote:
I wish it didn't take them so long, but oh well.

Keep wishing. It's Blizzard we're talking here.




Top
                 

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 3560
PostPosted: 09-13-2013 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Mogul wrote:
It seems to me that nearly every problem with the current PC game is being addressed. I wish it didn't take them so long, but oh well.


I've given Blizzard so much money over the years, but in the last couple I have lost interest in their games. D3 was the last straw for me with the horrible story, and a loot system that was painful and nothing but a money-grab for them with the lure of the RMAH.

Now to hear the console version of D3 is actually better for the user... so long Blizzard.




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 44007
PostPosted: 09-17-2013 10:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote





Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19997
PostPosted: 09-17-2013 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


lol indeed



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

Glayven?
Glayven?
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Posts: 13025
PostPosted: 09-17-2013 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote





Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group