Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-01-2013 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

don't forget the trailer-friendly one-liners and faux existentialist philosophising

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 10-04-2013 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pacific Rim.

Awful.
I wouldn't mind the atrocious acting or the ridiculous premise (interdimensional portal? wtf?) if the core business of giant monsters was properly executed. But it isn't. The "Kaiju" look like laughable cuddly overgrown muppets.
And then some Independence Day-like payoff? Fucking hell.
Terrible.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-04-2013 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tintin - 6/10; I loved the first 15 minutes until the film turned into a 3d action shitfest. Whenever there was a tiny bit of story developing they leaped into just another sequence of tacky slapstick action. They even turned an exposition flashback into an action sequence. Great music and lovable characters. But nowhere near the original comic books.

Star Trek: Into Darkness - 5/10; Pretty bad. I like the characters of Kirk and Spock as played by Pine and Quinto - that's what made the movie partly enjoyable to me. I also liked the lensflares. Seems to be the visual branding of the Star Trek reboot. I'm ok with that. Ludicrous plot though and lots of action I did not care about.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-04-2013 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Tintin - 6/10; I loved the first 15 minutes until the film turned into a 3d action shitfest.

lol Steven Spielberg, etc.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-05-2013 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Europa Report = 6.5/10 - It uses too many dumb horror movie tropes but is otherwise a well made movie. I feel that Europa Report and Apollo 18 are the only "found footage" movies worth watching and I don't think it's coincidence they're both sci-fi. Yes, I am a nerd.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-05-2013 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

World War Z unrated bluray - 2/10 - bleh, another zombie flick but with Pitt, i'd rather watch the original Night of The Living Dead

Die Hard A Good Day To Die Hard - 2/10 - it sucked imo, just brand names.

better not be disappointed with Red2

checks download bar

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-05-2013 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Lone Ranger - 6/10 - Solid movie but lacking fun. Solid script but nothing unpredictable as it heavily relies on ideas allready played out a dozens of times. I'd have given it 7/10 if it was fun to watch.

And I did not like the color scheme of the movie.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-06-2013 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
i still don't get why the necromonger grunt he kills to impress their leader had a dagger seemingly sticking out of his back, which Riddick then pulls out and sticks in his front, thereby killing him instantly

Chronicles was good, but from time to time it went half-retard

This was bugging me, I could have sworn it was explained but I just flicked through the 1st 30 mins and couldn't find shit.

Google says he keeps it as a token from a previous battle, which is what I thought and I can't see how I would have known that unless it was from 1 of the 2 movies :shrug:

So it's atleast explained in the novels, as far as I can tell it should be explained somewhere in the film n all.

I watched some of Riddick, forgot most of it and have no desire to do a rewatch.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-06-2013 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gravity - 10/10. Amazing amazing amazing!

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know why you faggots didn't like Elysium, it was a cool movie and I enjoyed it.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prolly cause we don't like shit movies. But I'm only speaking for myself.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was alright, the story was weak but was entertaining enough I thought.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have yet to discuss this movie IRL with anyone who liked it.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then they have a stick in their arse ;)

Wouldn't say I liked it but I didn't dislike it either, was middle of the road for me. Sci Fi is so scarce and shit atm n all that I'll hold Elysium up as one of the best in recent years :(

Films like these don't really need a strong plot or storyline either imo, It wasn't trying to be clever or unique, it was pretty much Minority Report without the midget anyway. Was just a Sci Fi flick. I think films like Inception, Looper, The Knowing, Prometheus are more offensive.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uhm, no. For all its shortcomings. Minority report was beyond this crap. It has way better action, story, and inspired view of the future.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 06:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One man in the future going up against the standards of society that he's been persecuted by in a break neck, action packed adventure that will see the walls come crumbling down. Who will help him, some dude in a holo-bunker or some dude with a spaceport ?, will he survive the surgical procedure from back alley Doctor ?. Seriously, one thing Minority Report wasn't was clever.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Seriously, one thing Minority Report wasn't was clever.

But... but... it's based on a novel by Phillip K. Dick. It must be clever.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-07-2013 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
I don't know why you faggots didn't like Elysium, it was a cool movie and I enjoyed it.

Me too :up:

ToxicBug wrote:
Gravity - 10/10. Amazing amazing amazing!

All I needed & great news as I am going tomorrow or the day after and I so am excited :D as never before at a movie I am about to see :D

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
Seriously, one thing Minority Report wasn't was clever.

But... but... it's based on a novel by Phillip K. Dick. It must be clever.

:D

It did build a pretty awesome future that was reminiscent of Blade Runner and Total Recall but I think it got too clever for its own boots. Without reading the novel I can't say who's to blame but things like the big 'guess who?' at the end was a real eye roller.

Was still a good movie, was put together better than Elysium but I think Elysium also wanted more action so sacrificed the story, which wasn't so great anyway :up:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
feedback wrote:

Me too :up:

I'm guessing your old age made you forget your earlier post where you didn't really like it. :smirk:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gravity

Yes I liked it and yes, I am a nerd.
The CGI and insides phantasmagoria dipped a hand to were great :up:

People will forever argue the physics are all wrong for the weightless environment but I suggest, they really don't know until they have been there.

All said, I tip my hat to those few souls with the right stuff :up:

Oh, not a spoiler, but I like the last bit where gravity is experienced.
That made my day/week :smirk:

I offer no score as I enjoyed it.

And yes GONNAFISTYA, I didn't like Elysium then but hindsight (now) is working for me: I did enjoy the Elysium experience.

Now I could go back and edit but that might upset someone 'round 'ere; I however did correct 2 spelling errors. :smirk:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-10-2013 12:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gravity 8/10

Really liked the first half or so, the very long scene when all the shit flies into other shit was amazingly tense and awesome. And they captured the claustrophobic hostile environment thing very well... man, fuck space, i'll stay down here thank you very much.

The ending was a bit Hollywoody but eh, whatcha gonna do.

But yeah, nice one phant! :D <3

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-14-2013 04:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Oh, not a spoiler, but I like the last bit where gravity is experienced.
That made my day/week :smirk:

I was crying during that scene. Wow, Alfonso Cuaron is so good!

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 08:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i bet you cried to The Lion King aswell

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 08:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who didn't?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't...

...Land before time tho...

PostPosted: 10-15-2013 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saw pacific rim finally, nice 6-7/10 action movie with some brain-melting awesome giant monster fights. Michael Bay should be fucking ashamed of transformers.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Michael Bay should be fucking ashamed

Disclaimer: An individual does not have to have watched Pacific Rim or Transformers to come to the conclusion stated above.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pacific Rim was quality, everything from the robot punch ups with motherfucking ALIENS to the cheesey one liners from luther. The only thing that spoiled it was adding a story, again >:E.

I'm no fan of Michael Bay either but he ain't that bad, he can direct a pretty decent action flick from time to time.

Bad Boys / Armageddon / The Rock / The Island were better than decent and his remakes of the old horrors, Texas Chainsaw / Amittyville turned out to be some of the better reboots going around.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I'm no fan of Michael Bay either but he ain't that bad, he can direct a pretty decent action flick from time to time.

Bad Boys / Armageddon / The Rock / The Island were better than decent and his remakes of the old horrors, Texas Chainsaw / Amittyville turned out to be some of the better reboots going around.

The sentiment above is why I never, ever listen to what any of you mongs have to say about movies.

losCHUNK wrote:
Texas Chainsaw / Amittyville turned out to be some of the better reboots going around.

Most of you have horrible, horrible judgement...proven over and over again by your high ratings and accolades lovingly offered towards shitty, shitty movies that a half-way intelligent poodle wouldn't bother to take a dump on. I mean, several of you have fully admitted on multiple occasions to not caring if a movie even has a coherent story...if it's splosiony enough. And those same idiots are openly hostile to those who want more then bigdumb dreck. I've no doubt I've pissed off some already who want to call me some sort of snob for saying this now and previously about it...because they like bigdumb movies and don't want to acknowledge, let alone even think about those who do not.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

The sentiment above is why I never, ever listen to what any of you mongs have to say about movies.

losCHUNK wrote:
Texas Chainsaw / Amittyville turned out to be some of the better reboots going around.

Most of you have horrible, horrible judgement...proven over and over again by your high ratings and accolades lovingly offered towards shitty, shitty movies that a half-way intelligent poodle wouldn't bother to take a dump on. I mean, several of you have fully admitted on multiple occasions to not caring if a movie even has a coherent story...if it's splosiony enough. And those same idiots are openly hostile to those who want more then bigdumb dreck. I've no doubt I've pissed off some already who want to call me some sort of snob for saying this now and previously about it...because they like bigdumb movies and don't want to acknowledge, let alone even think about those who do not.

Who's hostile ?. You should probably find a new thread n all cos from the sounds of things, you're just listening to yourself :P

And maybe my judgement is fantastic and have an appreciation for the simpler things, you just have limited scope my friend. Some of the best action flicks ever survived with a limited story, Die Hard, Alien, Running Man, Rambo etc... fast forward 20 years and we have the exact opposite problem, flicks falling over an over complicated story, 2012, Looper, Inception, Prometheus etc. But that's a matter of opinion.

If you think a story is the be all and end all of a movie then I think the fault is with yourself n all because there are very, very few movies that you could consider unique in terms of story. Plenty of times you said X movie is cookie cutter but this movie is spectacular but here's the thing, all movies are cookie cutter.

Oh yea and Michael Bay, I'm guessing you didn't like any of his movies ?. My point is that he gets how an action movie is supposed to work instead of over saturating it with violence like Expendables or over complicating the plot.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
coherent story

I have no idea what you're arguing against or for with your talk about "cookie cutter", "plot" and "simpler things". None of that is what I'm talking about, wtf?
I know that all movies are cookie-cutter and mashups/retelling of older stories. I've even posted as much here, as you've obviously missed....on several occasions...douchenozzle.
You seem to be arguing against even the notion of a story, I'm simply asking that it make sense. I have really no idea what you're talking about.

Die Hard, Alien, Running Man, Rambo etc didn't have you scratching your head wondering why people were doing things. 2012, Looper, Inception, Prometheus etc make you wonder what the fuck is going on and why you keep spending time watching it. There's a reason they give refunds.

If you're honestly asking me to spell out to you why Micheal Bay sucks so hard, then you would only waste my time. As I've said before, no matter how shitty something is, some moron will defend it, usually misguided.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
coherent story

I have no idea what you're arguing against or for with your talk about "cookie cutter", "plot" and "simpler things". None of that is what I'm talking about, wtf?
I know that all movies are cookie-cutter and mashups/retelling of older stories. I've even posted as much here, as you've obviously missed....on several occasions...douchenozzle.
You seem to be arguing against even the notion of a story, I'm simply asking that it make sense. I have really no idea what you're talking about.

Die Hard, Alien, Running Man, Rambo etc didn't have you scratching your head wondering why people were doing things. 2012, Looper, Inception, Prometheus etc make you wonder what the fuck is going on and why you keep spending time watching it. There's a reason they give refunds.

If you're honestly asking me to spell out to you why Micheal Bay sucks so hard, then you would only waste my time. As I've said before, no matter how shitty something is, some moron will defend it, usually misguided.

You have a notion that a story or plot needs to be solid for a movie to be a success, if not then it's shit which is what I was disagreeing with. Alien was the biggest wtf movie ever, a planet with eggs that... burst out your chest ?, at the end of the movie you still didn't know where the fuck they came from and met criticism because of it. This was before the queen was introduced so just imagine the confusion, there was a dude crawling around with a dildo n all with something that wanted to tear his face off. The rest had plenty of wtf moments n all with people running around wondering wtf they're doing, can't remember the terrorists turning up with arnie in the middle of a secure gameshow out of the blue ?

I mention cookie cutter cos I've said on here plenty of times it depends how well you cut it, I've said why Michael Bay can be a success to some because his movies aren't over saturated and think it would be unfair to criticise him for doing shit the industry has been doing since the day I was born rather than the dipshits who are trying to dumb down the audience by going LOST.

btw, you can replace 'simple things' with 'lower standards' n all ;]

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-15-2013 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And now you love Pacific Rim

You know I'm right, it's why we prefered Whitehouse Down way more than Olympus has Fallen.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.