Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Starting 3Wave overwrites q3config.cfg with default

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Starting 3Wave overwrites q3config.cfg with default

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-22-2014 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My 3wave icon has this:

Target: D:\Games\Q3\quake3.exe +set fs_game threewave +set com_hunkmegs 128 +set com_zonemegs 32
Start in: D:\Games\Q3

When I start it like this, it overwrites q3config.cfg in both the threewave and baseq3 directories.

I'm on Windows 7, and I have the shortcut set to run as administrator, and in Compatibility mode for Win XP SP2.

Any idea on why it's doing that? :(

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-22-2014 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The game is supposed to have write access to q3config.cfg... in the case when you change settings through the menu, it saves those changes to that file. Normally, you would have your custom binds in something like "custombinds.cfg" and launch the game to read it, adding into your startup shortcut, "+exec custombinds.cfg".

The alternative is forcing your q3config.cfg to be read only, by right clicking the file in Windows, properties, and check the read-only option. Note that this forces Q3 to not be able to write to the file at all, so changing settings in the menus won't work and it might have other consequences.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-23-2014 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.

I find this odd, since I don't remember it doing this last time I was playing, but that was on XP about 3 years ago.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-23-2014 04:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I added the +exec thing, and it partially worked. My model was reset to the default, but it didn't play the FMV sequence at the start like it was.

I might try the "read-only" solution. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.