Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-10-2013 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gravity in IMAX 3D - 10/10

Gravity without IMAX 3D - probably 7/10. Good movie.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-10-2013 11:52 PM           Profile http://www.quakelive" target="_blank">  Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thor, released 8 nov 2013. :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-11-2013 10:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Yes sat through it last night. Don't believe I have seen Chris Evans before this movie but he did a reasonable job IMO.
Hugo Weaving always does a great job. I did think he was a Australian :smirk:

Worth a watch? Probably. 5/10

IMDB

Quote:
Hugo Wallace Weaving was born on April 4, 1960 in Nigeria.
The middle sibling of three, Hugo has an older brother Simon and a younger sister Anna who both also currently live and work in Australia.
During his early childhood, the Weaving family spent most of their time traveling between Nigeria, Great Britain, and Australia.

Hugo Weaving bio

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 11-28-2013 09:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
$10 says we see an elderly Jar-Jar Binks in Ep 7

No bet. It'll happen. Guaranteed.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Come on Whiskey...everyone knew Hugo Weaving was Australian because Australians never stop talking about how "real Aussies" don't like Hugo Weaving.

I think he's terrific, but Aussies normally don't. :p

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-12-2013 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Come on Whiskey...everyone knew Hugo Weaving was Australian because Australians never stop talking about how "real Aussies" don't like Hugo Weaving.

I think he's terrific, but Aussies normally don't. :p

No, seriously I do like him as an actor :up:

I especially enjoyed the part he played in The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

Sure you've probably see it but here's a quick hint as to the content..

Quote:
The plot follows the journey of two drag queens and a transsexual woman, played by Hugo Weaving, Guy Pearce, and Terence Stamp, across the Australian Outback from Sydney to Alice Springs in a tour bus that they have named "Priscilla", along the way encountering various groups and individuals.

IMDB & Wiki

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2013 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Gravity in IMAX 3D - 10/10

Gravity without IMAX 3D - probably 7/10. Good movie.

:up: Saw it in IMAX last night. Breathtaking.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 11-15-2013 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hobo with a shotgun 7/10

A parody of 80's Heston vengeance flicks i guess - it goes all out in assaulting the viewer with extreme violence, implausible dialogue and other stuff we associate with 80's cinema.

Pretty funny stuff i thought.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-18-2013 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tomorrow, When the War Began (2010)

Think Red Dawn of 1984 starring Patrick Swayze

Australia is invaded, a neighboring nation after our land/resources to share :smirk: Eight unlikely high school teenagers band together to fight the invaders.

Nothing special but watch worthy. Actors did well for newcomers to their industry IMO. Probably low cost but the credits tell a different story: There are so many names listed.

6/10

IMDB

IMDB - Red Dawn

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Wolverine
8/10

Some of the special effects are astounding; the story's quite good; it's got some good action in it, good martial arts sequences; but the main baddies are unimpressive and the ending is not very good.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Ninth Gate - 9.5/10

not seen it? THEN SEE IT NOW

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-23-2013 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Batman (1989)

Stars:Michael Keaton as Batman & Jack Nicholson as the Joker

Not bad and no doubt you've seen it.

7/10

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
The Ninth Gate - 9.5/10

Just watched for the first time on your recommendation. 9.5? Seriously? Above average cinematography, predictable plot and an unsatisfying conclusion. It held my interest but only barely because I like noir. 7/10.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

grabs your attention, moves along nicely, but quickly goes to shit as soon as that chick gets strangled...and then it transforms to a poorly done 'for TV' film. 6/10 cause lets face it, the last 1/3 was garbage

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-24-2013 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, it's weird: it got critically panned in the US, but was well-received in Europe. i like the atmosphere and the pacing and the understated way Polanski approaches material that could so easily be just another Da Vinci Code. Johnny Depp is pretty good in it too

i guess it's one of those movies you either love or hate

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 02:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, i don’t agree with that i think, i’ll have to second what feedback says; a slightly better than mediocre noir. Nothing about it to warrent powerful emotions such as love or hate... guess it's one of those movies you either love or hate or think is nothing special either way.

Also:

The Fog of War 8/10

I just finished reading Command and Control, a book about the US nuclear arsenal during the cold war... which was a pretty amazing read. It interweaves a minute by minute account of a major accident with a Titan II missile with a historical account of the nuclear arms race. Intruiging stuff, for reals. In any case, the name of McNamara kept popping up, and i decided i knew too little about him - i only associated him with disasterous Vietnam war micro management, a sort of Rumsfeld of the sixties. The book claimed he did some good too; apparently he played a pivotal role in making US nuclear weapons more safe and also made sure the weapons came under civilian control rather than under military control. Which was a tremendously good idea for obvious reasons.

So i checked out this documentary, which i found rather unbelievably good to be honest. It’s an hour and a half of extremely painful introspective interview material, mixed with beautiful slow motion archive shots of bombs falling on Vietnam under a Philip Glass soundtrack. He’s clearly spent a lot of time thinking after he retired, at one point he confesses tearfully he’s a war criminal, etc. An interesting portrait from an interesting man, can’t reccommend this enough if you’re remotely into this sort of thing.

There appears to be a similar doc about Rummy out there which i also snatched, but from what i’ve read about that it’s only interesting in the sense that you get to see him contradict himself and tell outrageous lies for the entire length of the documentary – haven’t quite found the right mood to watch that yet.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 02:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
The Ninth Gate - 9.5/10

I've seen it ages ago. Wasn't a bad movie by any means, but 9.5 out of 10? Nah.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if i'd said it was meh, a 5/10 at best, no one would have responded, let alone bothered to watch it

at least i made you all look :cool:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol fu...also, noted.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
The Fog of War 8/10...the name of McNamara kept popping up...

...He’s clearly spent a lot of time thinking after he retired, at one point he confesses tearfully he’s a war criminal, etc. An interesting portrait from an interesting man, can’t reccommend this enough if you’re remotely into this sort of thing.

There appears to be a similar doc about Rummy out there which i also snatched, but from what i’ve read about that it’s only interesting in the sense that you get to see him contradict himself and tell outrageous lies for the entire length of the documentary – haven’t quite found the right mood to watch that yet.

Rummy is an all-out psychopath, which is why he'll never feel ANYTHING about his responsibilities to all the travesties he's been responsible for. He, along with Dick Cheney, should be dragged in the street and mercilessly (but slowly) slaughtered on national television for their crimes...just like in a Die Hard movie.

McNamara showed he's not a psycho, but I can't in good conscience feel sorry for him.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
if i'd said it was meh, a 5/10 at best, no one would have responded, let alone bothered to watch it

at least i made you all look :cool:

Back pedal aside, I wasn't aware of this Polanski.
The child molester has made some quality movies, so thanks for the reference.

Also because I like those "People who liked this also liked..." movies mentioned.
(Although I kind of doubt the reliability of the algorithm imdb uses. Made me plow through some referenced shitfests.)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no backpedal, chump; i really do think it's an awesome movie. just an observation that all it takes is a strong endorsement ITT for people to go watch something they would otherwise not bother with

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I said I appreciated your endorsement.
The backpedal was, at least pseudo, there though.

Last edited by Plan B on 11-29-2013 12:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because friends wanted to see these POS lately...I've endured some horrible crap the last month or so:

Man Of Steel = 1/10 - This isn't even a Superman movie. It's an alien invasion film and Superman is the reason Earth is in peril...and he doesn't seem to really care about it. Then at the end he basically tells humanity "fuck you I'll do whatever I want after trashing your planet". How inspiring. Considering how utterly depressing this film was, I can't understand why anyone would watch this and be in a good mood afterwards....which is what Superman movies are supposed to be about...because he's fucking Superman ffs. What garbage.

Thor: Whatever the Subtitle Is = 2/10 - Beautiful visuals cannot save a nonsensical story about thoroughly uninteresting characters. I'm sorry, but was there supposed to be some chemistry between Thor and Natalie Portman? Did anyone even try to act? It certainly felt more like a superhero movie compared to that Man Of Steel garbage, but still pretty shit.

The Wolverine = 3/10 - So out of all the superhero crap I was forced to watch, this one was the one I picked and it was really no better than the other "hero" movies. An utterly retarded plot and really shitty acting. And that stupid "boss fight" of Wolverine fighting an adamantium robot? How fucking retarded is that? What a joke of a film that was, as I predicted, cynically created and pumped out for the stupid masses to watch.

----------------------------------

I made the mistake of not sticking to my guns and giving in to the wishes of morons I should not have listened to. I've told my friends that if they want to have another super hero marathon to not invite me. If I ever state again that I've ever watched another goddamned superhero movie, ban my account and never let me back...because I'll fucking deserve it. And if I watch that crap again, when I die, I want you all to piss on my grave.

On the plus side, my list of Q3W members who's movie opinions I will never again listen to has grown. Go fuck yourselves. :up:

----------------------------------

Life According To Garp = 8/10 - Oh hey...a real movie. I had seen this as a teen when it was released and I clearly remember all the laughing I did in the theatre as a young lad. Watching it again took the edge off the comedy (since I'd already heard the jokes) but overall a terrific film about interesting characters in interesting situations. And not a single badly written character...unlike the Man Of Steel, Thor and Wolverine movies. It certainly holds up as a good film that entertained me as a kid and an adult and lived up to all my good memories.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Life According To Garp

One of the few movies I could tolerate Robin Williams in :up:
The other one being "Flubber", of course.

Plus mebbe One Hour Photo

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And yeah, disliking superhero movies.
Your expectation levels need adjusting.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Plan B wrote:
One of the few movies I could tolerate Robin Williams in :up:
Plus mebbe One Hour Photo

Mrs Doubtfire.

True.
That was a life changing experience.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:

I normally avoid superhero movies, because my expectations are so damned low of them.

My post was simply a rant I wanted to do for two reasons:

1) My hockey team got smashed this afternoon in a very poorly-played game.
2) I wanted to remind the world how horrible superhero movies are and that humanity deserves to be wiped out for not only making them and continuing to make them, but for making such huge bank. Humanity is indeed a pack of stupid monkeys that like loud noises.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Plan B wrote:

I normally avoid superhero movies, because my expectations are so damned low of them.

My post was simply a rant I wanted to do for two reasons:

1) My hockey team got smashed this afternoon in a very poorly-played game.
2) I wanted to remind the world how horrible superhero movies are and that humanity deserves to be wiped out for not only making them and continuing to make them, but for making such huge bank. Humanity is indeed a pack of stupid monkeys that like loud noises.

People want to see shit go BOOM! And you (also being people, don't deny, now) want to see shit go BOOM!

*You* feel the need to have some sort of intellectual alibi for your guilty pleasure though, before you stamp on your seal of approval.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No. I watched them because I was being social. People tolerate crap they don't like for the sake of being social...that's how it works. Besides I was responsible for bringing the vapourizer...so I really had no choice.

I suggested The Conjuring but I was the only person in the mood for the genre. Don't blame me for the shitty movies people watch.

Fuck u for trying, though. :up:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah yes, the ol' vaporiser tent induced tales of yorn.

But yeah, movies like "The Conjuring" are watched alone, in complete dark, with headphones on.

What mongoloid suggests watching that with others, ffs.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

superheroes suck
proto fascist mindset man
desensitising

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 11-29-2013 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want excitement
some thought, appreciated
but mainly KERSPLAT!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-30-2013 12:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Humanity needs rebooting.

a strong, pure Aryan race - with even more lens flare

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-01-2013 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ender's Game (2013)

No I haven't seen yet but I am planning to Thursday/Friday (released here Thursday).

Just wonder if anyone has seen it?
I see the release date on IMDB is 5 December but think there may have been a leak somewhere :smirk:

IMDB

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.