Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-01-2013 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Ender's Game (2013)

Just wonder if anyone has seen it?

Go back 2 pages...where menkent gave it a 2/10.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-01-2013 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

:up: and I did a search ... I didn't put the ' in :smirk:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 12-01-2013 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seriously. i know from what you post that you're more forgiving than i am when it comes to movies... but don't waste your time.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-01-2013 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To follow up on that sentiment, here's Half-In-The-Bag's review of it and since these guys tend to dislike the same movies I do for the same reasons I do, they can probably give you an honest opinion on it, all while making you laugh.

Ender's Game Review

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-01-2013 10:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
To follow up on that sentiment, here's Half-In-The-Bag's review of it and since these guys tend to dislike the same movies I do for the same reasons I do, they can probably give you an honest opinion on it, all while making you laugh.

Ender's Game Review

Thanks menkent. Sadly I have always been into sci fi so I will probably get along to it. I thought Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley might have lifted it out of the mire.

Thanks GONNAFISTYA. Sounded like an honest critique. Like one of the panel (dark shirt), I might just have to get & read the book.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Eagle Has Landed (1976)

A rather good (IMO) war movie about a German plot to kidnap Winston Churchill at the height of World War II.

Quite a roll up of stars of the era (only 1976) including Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, Jenny Agutter, Donald Pleasence & Anthony Quayle.

A good solid classic war movie and worth your time 8/10.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 01:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blackfish 8/10

Documentary about a captive killer whale that kept on attacking his trainers. The doc tries to explore the why and the how, during interviews with a bunch of its previous trainers the company SeaWorld comes off as more than a little bit immoral. It starts with one fatal accident in 2010, but as they dig deeper it turns out that this was a vicious creature that had an extensive track record with attacking humans, all of the incidents were hushed up by the company.

Solid documentary for the most part, though i think they could have explored the financial angle a little better. How much money is in this business i wonder? Does it continue today? And if so, who are the people that can defend this shit?

I almost couldn't finish watching it to be honest, some real heartwrenching stuff :(

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

A rather good (IMO) war movie about a German plot to kidnap Winston Churchill at the height of World War II.

Quite a roll up of stars of the era (only 1976) including Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, Jenny Agutter, Donald Pleasence & Anthony Quayle.

then you must also like Where Eagles Dare - Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Michael Hordern... can't go wrong, and the cable car scene near the end is awesome

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Blackfish 8/10

Saw that. it was educational and grossly embarrassing to say the least. I found the notion of their supposed advanced social capacity mind blowing if true, and somewhat comical, as I imagine 'tis a recipe for some serious drama queen action.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-05-2013 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye that's what got to me as well, the neurologist who disected a few orca brains and and what she had to say about their intelligence and emotional life. And the redneck hunter who was almost reduced to tears as he described what the pod did when they took the little ones away.

Oh and also the bit where they take the baby whale away from it's mother - who then surprises the shit out of everyone by going into what can only be descibed as profound grief, making as yet unheard long distance calls and shuddering in her tank. Fucking hell.

That one former trainer said it best, in 50 years time we're going to look back at this and think my god, what barbaric times those were.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 12-05-2013 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cabin in the Woods

very cute take on the horror genre, 8/10

suffers slightly from Wheden syndrome (all characters have equally intelligent banter)

I really love the second half. Maybe because I'm a bigger fan of mermen than hillbillie zombie families

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Skin I Live In

Difficult to say anything about this movie without spoiling the plot.
Suffices to say it's pretty much about the most effective and appropriate way to deal out revenge.
Can't say I enjoyed it, but definitely worth watching.

Last edited by Plan B on 12-06-2013 11:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:
Ender's Game (2013)

Just wonder if anyone has seen it?

That's a pity, loved the book.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

then you must also like Where Eagles Dare - Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Michael Hordern... can't go wrong, and the cable car scene near the end is awesome

Yes, another war classic :up: Clint Eastwood was so young then....

I didn't get to Ender's Game and now wonder if I will :smirk:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 06:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Blackfish 8/10

Documentary about a captive killer whale that kept on attacking his trainers. The doc tries to explore the why and the how, during interviews with a bunch of its previous trainers the company SeaWorld comes off as more than a little bit immoral. It starts with one fatal accident in 2010, but as they dig deeper it turns out that this was a vicious creature that had an extensive track record with attacking humans, all of the incidents were hushed up by the company.

Solid documentary for the most part, though i think they could have explored the financial angle a little better. How much money is in this business i wonder? Does it continue today? And if so, who are the people that can defend this shit?

I almost couldn't finish watching it to be honest, some real heartwrenching stuff :(

This sounds really interesting. I need to watch more documentaries. It's just hard to validate some of their claims. And I often feel like there's a hidden agenda...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

'86, that's near 30 years :eek:

Still one of the best Star Trek movies.
It is the one where they time travel back to Earth of the 1980's to fetch whales and save Earth of their time.

Just got to love the design of the early Klingon Birds of Prey

Enjoyable 7.5/10

Wiki

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 10:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
This sounds really interesting. I need to watch more documentaries. It's just hard to validate some of their claims. And I often feel like there's a hidden agenda...

Oh ffs what "agenda" would that be? Telling the truth about animal cruelty? Are you for real?

I understand that people who make documentaries may want things to change. They may be activists or think themselves as activists. I also understand that some "documentaries" are made in bad faith *cough* Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed *cough* which use dishonest techniques to tell their side of the argument. However, most "documentaries" that are made with "agendas" are made by corporations as a form of propaganda to benefit their business. The "agenda" is simply known as "profit". What "agenda" could Blackfish have besides shutting down a business....the opposite of profit? And you talk about it being hard to "validate some of their claims" and yet you haven't watched the documentary to even get an idea of what their claims may be. That's usually a pretty moronic approach to being "open minded" about watching such things. You haven't really thought this through, have you?

Methinks your claim of "agenda" is your own retarded bias showing through that you probably haven't "watched more documentaries" because they don't align with your beliefs. You probably don't want your bubble burst.

You have constantly shown a very narrow-minded, very conservative, very misinformed/uninformed view of things and a complete lack of initiative in learning things on your own, so I have a feeling I'm not far off. You're exactly the type of person who really needs to watch more documentaries.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 10:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

'86, that's near 30 years :eek:
Just got to love the design of the early Klingon Birds of Prey

One of my favorite shots in the entire franchise. A fun film. Kinda retarded, but it moved the franchise along to "reset" mode. :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 10:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KickAss 2
errr what a mess. convoluted story, and why would I care about Mindy's high school mean girls problem?
would not watch again.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 10:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah but you gotta admit you'd pork the shit outta Night Bitch. :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 11:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

guilty

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-06-2013 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
KickAss 2
errr what a mess. convoluted story, and why would I care about Mindy's high school mean girls problem?
would not watch again.

I am asking myself why did I seek out then watch the IMDB Trailer :rolleyes:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-07-2013 12:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Oh ffs what "agenda" would that be? Telling the truth about animal cruelty? Are you for real?

I understand that people who make documentaries may want things to change. They may be activists or think themselves as activists. I also understand that some "documentaries" are made in bad faith *cough* Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed *cough* which use dishonest techniques to tell their side of the argument. However, most "documentaries" that are made with "agendas" are made by corporations as a form of propaganda to benefit their business. The "agenda" is simply known as "profit". What "agenda" could Blackfish have besides shutting down a business....the opposite of profit? And you talk about it being hard to "validate some of their claims" and yet you haven't watched the documentary to even get an idea of what their claims may be. That's usually a pretty moronic approach to being "open minded" about watching such things. You haven't really thought this through, have you?

Methinks your claim of "agenda" is your own retarded bias showing through that you probably haven't "watched more documentaries" because they don't align with your beliefs. You probably don't want your bubble burst.

You have constantly shown a very narrow-minded, very conservative, very misinformed/uninformed view of things and a complete lack of initiative in learning things on your own, so I have a feeling I'm not far off. You're exactly the type of person who really needs to watch more documentaries.

lol, Jesus...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Michael Bays remaking the Titanic

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-10-2013 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BOOM

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 12-11-2013 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

:olo:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Monsters. May have seen before and posted. It is shite.

Aww how did you not like that? Thought it was rather excellent...

Elysium 2/10
One of those entirely forgetable blockbusters with lots of explosions and chase scenes. Why i kept watching till the end is beyond me.

The Prestige 4/10
Starts out a bit interesting but then takes a dramatic turn for the worse and totally fails to deliver. A stupid movie that pretends to be clever.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

david bowie was nice tho

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gravity = 7/10 - Excellent cinematography and VFX, terrific pacing in the story and overall a good movie to watch. However, the acting, dialogue and the circumstances of the plot were horrible. The worst part of this film is that George Clooney is just being George Clooney and Sandra Bullock is just being Sandra Bullock. I'm actually quite positive this movie would have been an epic and unforgettable film if they used no-name actors and dropped the pre-schooler dialogue but hey...there is no such thing as an awesome movie anymore.

It's over-the-top retardation at its finest, but at least it's worth checking out.

The Family = 0/10 - It's classified as a "comedy" (and the trailer certainly sells it as one) but it can't possibly be a comedy because it's not funny in the slightest. And if it is indeed a comedy, it's the first "comedy" in history to have loads of innocent people getting killed for no reason....those were some really depressing, shocking moments that have no place in a "comedy". Sorry...but it's really hard for audiences to cheer for wanton psychopaths and laugh along with the truly horrific carnage they cause...which is why NFL and dog-fighting fans (who are always the same people...always) will probably love it. This film is dreadful, awful and a whole bunch of other "fuls" and should be avoided at all costs. Even if someone is pointing a gun at you...let them shoot you...because it'd be better than watching this movie. And if this movie is anything to go by, then getting shot should somehow be "funny".

I'm guessing that nobody in the production cared enough to try and were all watching the clock until the next break in shooting. Robert DeNiro should just stop acting now before everyone loses respect for him. His projects the last few years are ham-handed shit circling the drain and the only end in sight is a big flush.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got to agree with you GONNAFISTYA that there is no such thing as an awesome movie anymore (above).

Great movies are a rarity indeed. I tried to think, what was the last epic movie I saw and failed.

I just sat through Star Trek (2009)* again.
I love all things Trek but this has lost some gloss over time, and a short time too :smirk:

* The Captain Nemo one

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 04:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I'm actually quite positive this movie would have been an epic and unforgettable film if they used no-name actors and dropped the pre-schooler dialogue

that's what I thought as well.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-13-2013 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Look at this -

We should be ashamed as a species

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-14-2013 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Capricorn One

Made in 1977 and you can tell.
Silly buggers are talking LEM & CM both terms used on Apollo Moon landings. They actually show a lunar module on the surface of a staged Mars.

If you have seen the film don't worry as you haven't missed anything. Don't bother viewing.

Best bit if any was the helicopter chase: Even that too short.

4/10
Quote:
IMDB >> A NASA Mars mission won't work, and its funding is endangered, so they decide to fake it just this once. But then they have to keep the secret...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-15-2013 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hanna

A seriously realistic film about an assassin. With a Chemical Brothers soundtrack. European. Fights like Bruce Lee.

8/10

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.