Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 12-15-2013 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Realistic

fights like bruce lee

ok

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-15-2013 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not just realistic, but seriously.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-15-2013 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Got to agree with you GONNAFISTYA that there is no such thing as an awesome movie anymore (above).

Great movies are a rarity indeed. I tried to think, what was the last epic movie I saw and failed.

lol but it sure as hell isn't hard thinking of an epic stinker that you've seen recently, is it? They don't make awesome movies anymore because they don't have to.

I mean the movie "The Family" is a delightful and family-oriented comedy that literally starts off with an opening scene of an entire family getting slaughtered, blown-up and gunned down. No funny sound effects or having the whole thing be a prank. No...they're all dead and bleeding out on the floor because the wrong address was given to the assassin. A family just got wiped out and this "comedy" is just getting started. Is everyone ready to laugh now? :up:

:rolleyes:

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 12-15-2013 08:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-15-2013 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Realistic

fights like bruce lee

ok

"a student of Bruce Lee" then, pedant.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-17-2013 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Citizen Kane

9/10 - great twist in the end; though i find the "rosebud"-twist to steal the show from main part; the actual character study looses some weight in my reception of the movie because it could falsely be interpreted as shere machinery to establish the twist.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-17-2013 06:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I found Citizen Kane too slow-paced and lacking in music. There were loads of huge gaps where there was no music, no dialogue, no sound effects and nothing of interest to look at. One for slow thinkers, perhaps; they need a massive gap with nothing happening cause that's what it takes for them to think.

Another film I found suffered from this affliction was Bullitt. I wanted to watch it cause it was supposed to have a good car chase bit in it (as reworked for a Ford Puma advert later), but there were moments where you'd get a shot of Steve McQueen's character and he'd just be standing there doing nothing, it was like the director wanted the viewer to just stop and stare at some still photographs because "OMG they look so awesome!", so boring I didn't watch much of it at all.

I finished watching Citizen Kane cause people used to always tell me it was important, they thought I was just like Citizen Kane and they thought the ending was superb; perhaps they lacked the morality of Citizen Kane and found it a revelation; by the end of the film I was disappointed.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-17-2013 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THe hobbit 2
6.5/10

Great scenery, cinematography, direction blah blah blah, but way too fucking long. I honestly stopped caring as to wtf was going on about 2 hours into it. I'd be hard pressed to believe that they really envision audience being content with sitting on their ass for 3 hours straight. I miss intermissions...bring that shit back you fucking time maximizing jews.

Plus for some reason, I couldn't care less for any particular character in the story. so the 6.5 was purely for the sets /effects and ambiance of the film.

PostPosted: 12-17-2013 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
feedback wrote:
Realistic

fights like bruce lee

ok

"a student of Bruce Lee" then, pedant.

Realistic

fights like a student of Bruce Lee

ok :olo:

Will trust you on citizen kane, champ :up:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 12-17-2013 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
I found Citizen Kane too slow-paced and lacking in music. There were loads of huge gaps where there was no music, no dialogue, no sound effects and nothing of interest to look at. One for slow thinkers, perhaps; they need a massive gap with nothing happening cause that's what it takes for them to think.

Another film I found suffered from this affliction was Bullitt. I wanted to watch it cause it was supposed to have a good car chase bit in it (as reworked for a Ford Puma advert later), but there were moments where you'd get a shot of Steve McQueen's character and he'd just be standing there doing nothing, it was like the director wanted the viewer to just stop and stare at some still photographs because "OMG they look so awesome!", so boring I didn't watch much of it at all.

I finished watching Citizen Kane cause people used to always tell me it was important, they thought I was just like Citizen Kane and they thought the ending was superb; perhaps they lacked the morality of Citizen Kane and found it a revelation; by the end of the film I was disappointed.

Thank you for this glorious post. :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-18-2013 12:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Realistic

fights like a student of Bruce Lee

ok :olo:

Will trust you on citizen kane, champ :up:

She was actually trained for some time by a student of Bruce Lee for the film. (Read it on IMDB.) Of course it's all choreographed, too, so it looks like she was trained by a student of Bruce Lee.

Edit: One fights how one was trained to fight, basically.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-18-2013 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Talladega Nights 8/10

Rather hilarious, maybe one of Ferrell's best. I for one can totally dig his weird ass sense of absurd humor :up:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-18-2013 05:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IM ON FIRE

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-20-2013 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I for one can totally dig his weird ass sense of absurd humor :up:

It's an acquired taste, but I acquired it.

You watch Eastbound & Down?
In the same vein as Will Ferrell's stuff (unsubtle, broad humor done right), and he's in a couple of episodes.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-20-2013 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa.

7/10
Quite enjoyed it.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-21-2013 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you did?

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-21-2013 03:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sure.
Not as much as the tv show, because in an hour and a half movie you get this obligatory, forced story line, instead of just 20 minutes of Alan being his cunty, obnoxious self.
But yeah, still overall enjoyable and good for some laughs.
Though IIRC, you don't care much for Steve Coogan in general, so it's probably not for you.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 12-21-2013 03:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
You watch Eastbound & Down?
In the same vein as Will Ferrell's stuff (unsubtle, broad humor done right), and he's in a couple of episodes.

Heard of it, not seen it.
I'll check it out :)

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-21-2013 10:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anchorman 2
We walked out of the movie.

Terrible storyline, bad acting, 80% of the jokes where poor even for his standards, and terrible / completely nonexistent film editing.
The only funny game from Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-21-2013 10:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mister Roberts

Classic mid 50's war movie and not a bullet fired. An entertainer for sure.
So if you haven't seen and get the chance do so.

Great roles by
Henry Fonda as Lt. JG Douglas A. 'Doug' Roberts
James Cagney as Captain Morton
William Powell as Lt. 'Doc'
and the ever loving Jack Lemmon Ens. Frank Pulver

If you have seen it a reminder, it is the palm tree one the US naval supply "Reluctant." in 1945.

Classic and always watchable 9/10

IMDB

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-27-2013 03:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hobbit 2 - 8/10

I loved it. Though it nearly jumped the shark at some points.

And I loved the high framerate!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-31-2013 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elysium - 3/10 - fucking garbage

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-31-2013 03:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cloud Atlas 8/10

I don't know. I just liked it and it made me feel good...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 03:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hobbit 2 was utter bollocks.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivion - 7/10 - not bad at all. worth a watch, unlike that Elysium shitfest

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prisoners 8/10

Going to watch the first Hobbit movie later. Will I be disappoint?

I loved the LOTR trilogy.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 11:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:

no

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 03:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
DRuM wrote:

no

Thanks shaft, looking forward to it then :)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hobbit sequel was great, unlike the first one.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Oblivion - 7/10 - not bad at all. worth a watch, unlike that Elysium shitfest

I got the Oblivion blu-ray for Christmas and am looking forward to another view.

Speaking of blu-rays; watched a couple of the Star Trek movies in the last nights, not in order.

Enjoyed the The Voyage Home already so moved to Star Trek - The Movie and The Final Frontier

Every critic bags the first, The Movie (1) and the Final Frontier (5) was little better and I am a Trekkie (Trekker) so 5/10 each :smirk:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 01-03-2014 09:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 01-03-2014 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

White House Down

What a wonderful piece of crap!
I came for the terrible CGI, but I stayed for for the clown scene which started at the 00:00:00 mark and never ended.

I don't know why I keep watching shit like this, force myself into a semi-coma for 2 hours.
Probably just to keep up to date bitching about what's wrong with current cinema.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-05-2014 03:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hobbit 2

8/10

It's good. It's fun...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-05-2014 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

alright now for gky to come in with a few paragraphs about how xer0s is a moron

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-05-2014 06:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

alright now for gky to come in with a few paragraphs about how xer0s is a moron

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool cool story story bro bro

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-06-2014 10:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he ragequitted off the forum, so don't count on it.
he mad.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.