Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        How to launch Quake 3 on Windows 7?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GtkRadiant 1.6.4 probably wants to annoy me. Three parse err

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 01:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I want to continue in CZQ3DM1 developing with the new Radiant 1.6.4. First, it dislikes spaces in dir for game settings, next it needs to have writeable files for installation, when it finally starts disabling desktop composition won't help to make visible layout and preferences can't be saved as it could not open it with XML parser. So I decided to move Radiant in a dir without spaces in it's names and number of errors now occured. See a copy of log file:
Code:
Started logging to E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/radiant.log
Today is: Mon Jul 21 10:45:50 2014
This is radiant '1.6.4' compiled Dec 13 2013
http://icculus.org/GtkRadiant/
Wrote XML property file 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/global.pref'
Running in network mode, prefs path set to 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/'
game name            : 'Quake III Arena and mods'
game file            : 'q3.game'
game path            : 'E:/Program Files/GtkRadiant/GtkRadiant 1.6.4/installs/Q3Pack/game/'
base game            : 'baseq3'
engine path          : 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/Q3dev/'
executables path     : 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/Q3dev/'
engine               : 'quake3.exe'
shaderlist           : 'scripts/shaderlist.txt'
caulk shader         : 'textures/common/caulk'
prefix               : ''
default texture scale: 0.5
single eclass load   : No
patches supported    : Yes
Reloading global prefs from file
Opened XML property file: 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/global.pref'
Opened XML property file: 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/q3.game/local.pref'
OpenGL not ready - postpone texture compression capability check
OpenGL not ready - postpone ATI bug workaround setup
Disabling Windows composition
Attemping to load RC file E:\Documents\Q3_CZghost\GtkRadiant\v1.6.4\radiantgtkrc
Loading GL library: opengl32.dll ...Done.
GDK's coordinate system is offset by 0 over the x-axis and 0 over the y-axis from Windows' coordinate system.
'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/global.xlink' not found / parse failed
'E:/Program Files/GtkRadiant/GtkRadiant 1.6.4/installs/Q3Pack/game/game.xlink' not found / parse failed
loading synapse XML config file 'E:/Program Files/GtkRadiant/GtkRadiant 1.6.4/installs/Q3Pack/game/synapse.config'
'E:/Program Files/GtkRadiant/GtkRadiant 1.6.4/installs/Q3Pack/game/synapse.config' invalid/not found
Synpase server initialization failed (see console)

GetLastError: Syst?m nem??e nal?zt uvedenou cestu.

An unrecoverable error has occured.
Would you like to edit Preferences before exiting Radiant?Shutting down GL ...Done.
Closing log file at Mon Jul 21 10:46:14 2014

Note that the E:/Program Files/GtkRadiant/GtkRadiant 1.6.4 was the first location, it has been moved to E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4. So the annoying issue is that it has remembered the first place of install files and file global.xlink doesn't exist anymore. How to clean and repair the cache of app and where to get the missing file?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 03:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, solved error occured: It was set in game file, I had to change dir to the new location.

So Radiant loads up now, but even with desktop composition disabled it doesn't load up layout visuals, when opened preferences, and error shows up in console window, I can change any preferences, but it won't apply changes nor save them. It's pretty annoying. I have allowed all rights for all working groups, but it didn't help.

Any idea on how to get Radiant f*cking working? It's f*cking annoying that I don't see any layout and I can't change any preferences...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 04:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Code:
XML Too many open files
XML Too many open files
XML I/O
XML warning :
XML failed to load external entity "E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/global.pref"

XML property file 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/global.pref' invalid/not found, creating blank properties tree
Closing log file at Mon Jul 21 14:05:30 2014

Saving global.pref with default pref values
XML Too many open files
Error occured while saving global prefs file 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/global.pref'
XML Too many open files
XML Too many open files
XML I/O
XML warning :
XML failed to load external entity "E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/q3.game/local.pref"

XML property file 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/q3.game/local.pref' invalid/not found, creating blank properties tree
texture compression is not supported by your current graphic card/drivers
ATI bug workaround disabled
Saving local.pref with default pref values
XML Too many open files
Error occured while saving global prefs file 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/global.pref'
XML Too many open files
Error occured while saving local prefs file 'E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4/q3.game/local.pref'

What's up? What does mean Too many open files? What does mean property file invalid? I don't understand it. What's wrong? Tried to allow all rights for all users and working groups, tried to launch Radiant as administrator, but it didn't helped. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I do not see any solution. Have anyone any idea how to get rid off that butt? I'm getting pretty angry, nothing on Windows can work without any issues! I start to think about conversion to Linux, but give Windows more chance...

Well, with desktop composition disabled should be available visuals of layout, but it does not:

Any idea how to fix that sh*t?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want to try Quake 3 on new installation of Windows after we kicked XP out, but it seems that Quake 3 doesn't support Windows 7. I tried compatibility with XP SP3, Windows 2000, disabled desktop composition, nothing helped, it still shows up this error:
Code:
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Further in console is message about missing graphics drivers, but they are already installed...

For more info, I will include graphics card technical info and CPU drivers:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz

Shall I install additional drivers for OpenGL and OpenAL to get game running?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
it seems that Quake 3 doesn't support Windows 7.

Wrong. It works just fine for me and half of all the people here. I don't even need to use compatibility mode or anything.

This is driver related. I suggest you uninstall your graphics driver, download the latest driver from nVidia's website and reinstall that.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you can't launch Q3 due to driver issues, what makes you think GtkRadiant will work too? Fix your computer, then worry about fixing GtkRadiant.

When you get to that step, I suggest you start with a newly extracted copy of GtkRadiant, since in moving your files, you've broken all of the configuration files and it's probably easier to fix this with just a new install.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 07:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will delete configuration files, Radiant should make new with default settings.

To the drivers issue, it will take plenty of time, I need to find a day to do this as it just takes many hours and CPU gets pretty warmed when reinstalling such drivers. Screen might blink during this proccess, so I need to prepare not only myself, but also parents. Try to tell your mom that 3D driver just do not work so you must reinstall whole graphics drivers...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 09:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So after drivers update the layout finally shows up, but I have troubles with opening ANY source working map file, including those sample maps installed by Radiant:
Code:
ERROR: failed to open E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/Q3dev/baseq3/maps/q3dm1sample.map for read

I tried to allow all for all user and working groups, tried if some internal files do not interrupt the job, but no success. So I have map editor that can't open and edit maps. Well, I'm getting pretty more and more mad. Nothing on Windows can work without any new issue. When I fix any error, another now occurs. This is pretty annoying experience.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keep your issues in one thread please. It's difficult enough to understand what you're doing, let alone trying to dig through 4 different threads.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 03:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well. So I will place here issues to be solved:
  • Preferences cannot be saved due to unknown issue (not sure if it is caused by permission or internal error)
  • Cannot open any map, nor the sample ones, so I cannot continue editing the one I have started before (not sure, what it causes, shows a read error)
Hope this will help a lot.

I will try to rebuild the installation by replacing default files by fresh extraction, then will give feedback.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 05:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No help, reinstall didn't helped. Will try to make new settings by deleting game gonfigurations, but I'm not sure it can guarrante any success...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 05:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, nothing changed. Maps still can't be opened. There must be something wrong in the Radiant code, this isn't normal. Will try to redownload and reinstall it...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 06:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMFG! Radiant now does not open at all! What's that sh*t made of? Well, I will delete the ZIP file and redownload it again, then try to replace the installation...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 06:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, it will wait, computer is pretty much slower than normally, I consider it caused by malware, started antivirus scan...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To narrow down the multitude of random issues you're having, try the following and answer EACH ONE of the following questions:

1. Did you properly install your video drivers? Download the latest drivers from nVidia. GtkRadiant, Q3 and most other 3D applications will not work with basic Windows drivers or if your drivers are incorrectly installed.
  2. Can you now run Quake 3 without any errors?
  3. Did you install the Visual C++ runtimes? They are required for GtkRadiant to work. Install the x86 runtime if you're on a 32-bit Windows 7, install BOTH x86 AND x64 runtimes if you're on a 64-bit Windows 7.
  4. Did you download the latest version of GtkRadiant off of the project page? Extract it somewhere.
  5. Might not be necessary, but I suggest you run GtkRadiant with as administrator (see image below)
  6. GtkRadiant takes some time to initialize the first time. Did you let it run for a while while it does this?

Follow each of these steps PRECISELY and answer each question. I won't be able to help you unless you do this.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 08:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oups, I was quick :olo:

ad1: I tried to upgrade drivers with Microsoft tool first, it told me it's already actual, but OpenGL issues has gone away.
ad2: Yes, Quake 3 runs fine now, I have tried new bot with new skin I have downloaded.
ad3: Well, I'm not sure, I don't recognise any of that. On websites is written that this is required when errors of missing dlls occur, nothing about missing dlls have shown up me, so I really am not sure. Maybe it's preinstalled by fabric, I really don't know. Will check it out.
ad4: Yes, this is really last version. I have extracted it in the last dir, shall I try it somewhere else?
ad5: Yes, I ran Radiant as admin (btw, what image do you mean, there's no image)
ad6: For about two minutes is displayed splash screen, then layout window opens. Shall I let it idle some time before I start to mapping? I never had to let Radiant idle after layout appeared when I wanted to continue in mapping.

Well, I'll try the framework first, if it didn't help, will follow next steps I'm not sure with the cause...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I tried to install the vcredist_x86 (I have Windows 7 32bit), which was successful, but Radiant continued in the buggy work. So I decided to do fresh clean install and let Radiant idle some time after layout has shown up, same issue. Well, now I have no more ideas on how to solve that bug. I do not run it as admin, but if I do, it should not cause that sh*tty bugs. For now I need to get the map opening work soon before last two weeks of holidays arrive, then I will have almost no time to do mapping 'cause of prepares for next study year. Then I can start wondering about preferences error as this gets somewhat lower priority. If you can't open a map that you was working before (and I bet I can't even save new fresh made map), it's editor for two things to do (guess what). So I must consider it as somewhat internal bug that prevents me opening map previously made in earlier version (or any map, if you count that)...

Or have anyone any other idea? Maybe I'm just dumb and do not see what most of you do, but that's just this...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because you've posted so many random issues, I'm not sure which issue you are still having. Are you still getting graphics artifacts in the layout windows? Is it just that you can't open maps and edit preferences?

You have to be detailed in describing your current problems. To be honest, trying to figure out what the hell you're talking about is tiring and makes it really hard for anyone to help you.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-23-2014 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Is it just that you can't open maps and edit preferences?

You have to be detailed in describing your current problems. To be honest, trying to figure out what the hell you're talking about is tiring and makes it really hard for anyone to help you.
Drivers artifact have gone, no problems with layout and OpenGL drivers in game, too. But Radiant even after fresh installation of Microsoft's Framework, restarting computer to make sure changes are applied, fresh installation of Radiant, ckecking administrator permissions to Radiant before fresh launch, still continues in the buggy work with errors in preferences updates and maps opening.

To the details:
1st) Map opening (the most important issue): It writes this error: ERROR: failed to open E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/Q3dev/baseq3/maps/museum.map for read.
2nd) Preferences updates: It writes following:
Code:
XML Too many open files
XML Too many open files
XML I/O
XML warning :
XML failed to load external entity "E:/Documents/Q3_CZghost/GtkRadiant/v1.6.4_rev20131213/global.pref"

The same for local preferences of the game.

What does mean the XML Too many open files? Shall I increase RAM or what? Note that I have launched Radiant and have closed everything but my desktop notes and Radiant. Shall I close everything including my notes and keep opened only Radiant? And how about maps opening issue? The error tells something went wrong when tried to read and parse the map code. It's beyond my understanding...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-23-2014 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It probably has to do with Windows permissions and being able to read/write to that folder, not GtkRadiant itself.

1. See the image above and make sure you are running with admin access. GtkRadiant normally does this by default, but maybe something is suppressing it so might as well be sure.
  2. Check the folders that it is writing to (the GtkRadiant program folder, and the Q3 installation folder, as well as all subdirectories and files). Make sure that you have read/write access to everything. Right-click on the folders, Properties, General tab, make sure the Read Only checkbox is OFF.
  3. Check your antivirus/malware software. They may be blocking GtkRadiant from writing to specific parts of your computer. To test, disable them and see if it works.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-23-2014 08:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will do it tomorrow, it makes computer much slower than now is :(

Will check avast if it does block it, but I think it doesn't.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-24-2014 01:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, Windows have done to disable read-only mode but the changes didn't applied. This means that Windows lie and nothing really happened. Starting individual disable of read-only mode, hope it will help...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-24-2014 01:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like there is something wrong with Windows attributes, it takes for about 20 minutes to make changes for almost all files in Q3 dir and gets stuck on very end. When I try to focus the window, it suddenly closes and I am supposed to click OK button. When I open properties window again, it still have read-only marker checked. Fucking Windows :mad:

I must delay that before I get new CPU for my machine, Pentium 4 si being slower and slower. I must get any dual-core for LGA 775 and Gygabyte chipset (Intel). Thus even this won't help, I should reinstall Windows and install the newest updates for it. Looks like my mapping slowly ends. If even Windows reinstall and update won't help, I deny all my mapping projects and won't make and edit any maps for a long time. Thanks Microsoft >:(

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 02:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What permission should I edit? CREATOR OWNER was created for Quake 3 development folder (Q3dev), there is something like "Special permisson", which I do not fully understand. It is the only one permission enabled and when I try to change it, it fails with permissions error of all items in the folder. Is this the issue? Also, when I try to disable read-only mode, it won't apply the changes. I tried to give the folder audition, no idea if that will help. Will try also GtkRadiant folder permissions. Looks like GtkRadiant 1.5 has enabled protection mode, so other versions of Radiant will have no chance to change, delete or add something there. Will try Radiant 1.5, then give feedback.

And I finally got new CPU, now running on Intel Core 2 Duo...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.