Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        No Destiny thread?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: No Destiny thread?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-01-2014 11:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So no thread about Bungies latest and greatest shooter/RPG/MMO??

The Guardian has a few words about it;

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ld-shooter

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-01-2014 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More here & here and I am in awe of the level of detail. Just might have to ditch QL :smirk:

Thinking, might need a new PC too.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-01-2014 11:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it might be aight.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 01:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
What the fuck does the Guardian know about games.

Odd choice indeed...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 01:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Sadly, this game isn't coming out on PC, because Bungie are idiots. There's still time for them to change their minds, but I doubt it and I may end up having to get a goddamn console after all.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Memphis wrote:

Odd choice indeed...

You know, they may have picked The Guardian *precisely because* they don't know what they're talking about, which worries me...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

Sadly, this game isn't coming out on PC, because Bungie are idiots. There's still time for them to change their minds, but I doubt it and I may end up having to get a goddamn console after all.

HALO was supposed to be a PC game as well, until MS came along and snatched up exclusive rights. I don't think it did Bungie any harm in the end, financially speaking, so they may be willing to go that route again.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 09:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Transient wrote:
Odd choice indeed...

You know, they may have picked The Guardian *precisely because* they don't know what they're talking about, which worries me...

Actually there were a lot different journos from many different websites/magazines there. I just liked the write up

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I should probably read it before talking shit, eh?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 01:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

yeah, what do other people know about game eh?

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, what does the Guardian's games editor (who apparently has been a games writer since 1995?) know about games!

Looks alright, possibly one to watch :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
HALO was supposed to be a PC game as well............

Transient wrote:
Sadly, this game isn't coming out on PC..................

Sometimes I miss the early days of Halo. I remember the first time I saw the ring in the sky :eek:
I won't be buying a console to play 'em, but still nice to see the scenery and new worlds (game environments).

Guess I better fire up UT3 again to get some eye candy..

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

ah lol.. oh well.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yerp, there's also this nugget:

Quote:
PvsP

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-03-2014 02:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:smirk:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-03-2014 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, anyone pick this up yet? Everyone seems to be playing PvP right now based on the Twitch streams I saw last night, but I'm more interested in the coop. My copy should arrive by the time I get home from work. :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 05:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When is the PC release date? Should I spend $500 to play one game?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ask your ex wife what she thinks... :olo: ...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if she's my ex why would I need to ask her? nice logic moron...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Poor shaft... Never learns from his mistakes...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 05:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not posting photos of my wife for you...grow up.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was an interesting press release from Bungie yesterday telling people to be wary of day one reviews.
Admittedly, with something in the MMO space, I'd usually agree that you can't judge such games based on a few hours of play, but at the same time, this does stink of a lack of faith in their product. I don't think I've seen other, more traditional MMO developers say the same thing.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 06:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
When is the PC release date? Should I spend $500 to play one game?

This is my thoughts exactly. Can't see myself buying a console right now to play this. But if the new Fallout comes out, I'd end up buying a console and probably Destiny...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 07:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In other news:

Activision wrote:
$500m spent on Destiny “shows the confidence we have” in the IP

Okay, that's not just on development but on marketing and everything else.
But still, $0.5B?!
GTA V cost ~$270M, but that wasn't a new IP. And it made a billion in 24 hours.
Can't really see Destiny doing the same.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 11:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was a write up where they said the spend was nowhere near that for the first game and the $0.5B was for the life cycle of Destiny - I will see if I can dig it out

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-09-2014 11:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because it isn't on PC so I don't give a fuck

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 03:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, seen some in-game SP footage. looks meh, same old same old

also, why do computers always have the voice of a well-educated English woman?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
why do computers always have the voice of a well-educated English woman?

• The computer in Alien Resurrection didn't. "Father" instead of the "Mother" that was in Alien.
• The computer "Knights Industry Two Thousand" (K.I.T.T.) in Knight Rider didn't (it ws male).
• The computer in Iron Man didn't (it was male).

In a fighter pilot's case, the computer may be voiced by the pilot's wife or daughter cause that's said to keep them calm in otherwise stressful situations and listen to danger. It's just whatever voice the (computer) user is comfortable with; in Knight Rider's and Iron Man's case it's more like the trusted butler.

As to being well-educated, well it stands to reason that you'd want the computer to sound like it knows a few things, thus giving the impression that it knows what it's doing. Basically: you want the computer to sound well-educated cause you want the computer to be well-educated.

I hope this puts your jaded gamer of lacklustre games gripe to rest.

P.S.

Oh yeah, you want another example? Holly in Red Dwarf, first a man, then a woman (explained by some alternate universe gender version episode). Both were not well educated and comically inept. See what happens when the computer is not well educated? It is comically wrong. Then again, every character in Red Dwarf was comically wrong, so that may be pushing it a bit :olo: It was a comedy, after all :) The Red Dwarf bit lowered the seriousness somewhat, that's why I've put it as a P.S.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ what a massive nerd

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: fuck you.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
In other news:

Activision wrote:
$500m spent on Destiny “shows the confidence we have” in the IP

Okay, that's not just on development but on marketing and everything else.
But still, $0.5B?!
GTA V cost ~$270M, but that wasn't a new IP. And it made a billion in 24 hours.
Can't really see Destiny doing the same.

Numbers disagree.
Quote:
“Destiny is officially the biggest new franchise launch in our industry’s history. It’s also the highest-selling day one digital console release in history. We have more confidence than ever that Destiny will become one of the iconic franchises of this generation and Activision’s next billion dollar brand," Hirshberg added.

$0.5B worth of units sold to retailers. While this doesn't automatically mean 0.5b worth of units sold to customers, Acti doesn't care.. they already have their money now.
in less than 24hrs no less.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
seremtan wrote:
why do computers always have the voice of a well-educated English woman?

• The computer in Alien Resurrection didn't. "Father" instead of the "Mother" that was in Alien.
• The computer "Knights Industry Two Thousand" (K.I.T.T.) in Knight Rider didn't (it ws male).
• The computer in Iron Man didn't (it was male).

In a fighter pilot's case, the computer may be voiced by the pilot's wife or daughter cause that's said to keep them calm in otherwise stressful situations and listen to danger. It's just whatever voice the (computer) user is comfortable with; in Knight Rider's and Iron Man's case it's more like the trusted butler.

As to being well-educated, well it stands to reason that you'd want the computer to sound like it knows a few things, thus giving the impression that it knows what it's doing. Basically: you want the computer to sound well-educated cause you want the computer to be well-educated.

I hope this puts your jaded gamer of lacklustre games gripe to rest.

P.S.

Oh yeah, you want another example? Holly in Red Dwarf, first a man, then a woman (explained by some alternate universe gender version episode). Both were not well educated and comically inept. See what happens when the computer is not well educated? It is comically wrong. Then again, every character in Red Dwarf was comically wrong, so that may be pushing it a bit :olo: It was a comedy, after all :) The Red Dwarf bit lowered the seriousness somewhat, that's why I've put it as a P.S.

Bullets 2&3 I *think* were voiced by well spoken English butlers though, no ?. Holly was a parody of a well educated computer n all, also being voiced by the English. Your logic English = smart ?.

Fighter pilots voice commands using your wife / daughter would cause a domestic without either being present n all.

Now, shall we play a game ?, or do you require more testing ?

Last edited by losCHUNK on 09-10-2014 10:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You didn't read my post properly; I mentioned the butler. ...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.