Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        No Destiny thread?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: No Destiny thread?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
seremtan wrote:
why do computers always have the voice of a well-educated English woman?

• The computer in Alien Resurrection didn't. "Father" instead of the "Mother" that was in Alien.
• The computer "Knights Industry Two Thousand" (K.I.T.T.) in Knight Rider didn't (it ws male).
• The computer in Iron Man didn't (it was male).

In a fighter pilot's case, the computer may be voiced by the pilot's wife or daughter cause that's said to keep them calm in otherwise stressful situations and listen to danger. It's just whatever voice the (computer) user is comfortable with; in Knight Rider's and Iron Man's case it's more like the trusted butler.

As to being well-educated, well it stands to reason that you'd want the computer to sound like it knows a few things, thus giving the impression that it knows what it's doing. Basically: you want the computer to sound well-educated cause you want the computer to be well-educated.

I hope this puts your jaded gamer of lacklustre games gripe to rest.

P.S.

Oh yeah, you want another example? Holly in Red Dwarf, first a man, then a woman (explained by some alternate universe gender version episode). Both were not well educated and comically inept. See what happens when the computer is not well educated? It is comically wrong. Then again, every character in Red Dwarf was comically wrong, so that may be pushing it a bit :olo: It was a comedy, after all :) The Red Dwarf bit lowered the seriousness somewhat, that's why I've put it as a P.S.

Bullets 2&3 I *think* were voiced by well spoken English butlers though, no ?. Holly was a parody of a well educated computer n all, also being voiced by the English. Your logic English = smart ?.

Fighter pilots voice commands using your wife / daughter would cause a domestic without either being present n all.

Now, shall we play a game ?, or do you require more testing ?

Last edited by losCHUNK on 09-10-2014 10:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You didn't read my post properly; I mentioned the butler. ...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

English butlers though, specifics ;)

Hence English = smart. I can see why, I wouldn't trust a polish GPS

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
English butlers though, specifics ;)

Hence English = smart. I can see why, I wouldn't trust a polish GPS

All butlers are English, cause the butler training schools are in England.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So an English butler is smarter than the most educated American

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
So an English butler is smarter than the most educated American

Seremtan said "well-educated" not "smart".
I said the bulter was "trusted", not "smart".
The only one who's been saying "smart" is you.

Who says "the most educated American" wouldn't have moved to England and trained as a butler, getting an English accent, anyway?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You said the computer needs to sound well educated / trusted and the best most can come up with is an English butler to combine the 2 qualities.

And if the most educated American is stupid enough to do that then I will have to question his education :smirk:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, that's not what I said.

If you are going to argue at least read the posts.

When I mentioned the butler it was not in reference to education at all, it was in reference to gender; i.e. the computer could be male or female.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But you said it should also be well educated using Holly to support your statement, which is why I said the best most can come up with...

So the English are both well educated and trustworthy :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're stretching it.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brb, Stephen Hawking is trimming my balls

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 12:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would beat the living shit out of DTS in real life.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I wouldn't trust a polish GPS

you mean satnav

"in 100 metre, clean toilet"

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 01:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyway, is anyone playing this?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 06:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, on PS4. It's alright so far. I'm worried the content may be limited, though.

Visual fidelity is pretty good, notably the lighting. I keep noticing the aliasing, but that's probably because there's not much more to complain about in the graphics department. :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-10-2014 07:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i want to play this...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2014 04:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been playing it on xbox one. I fucking love it but I've always been keen on bungies level design and battle mechanics.

Only shitty part is I've yet to do any real co-op, mostly just solo everything. Co-op is weird though, I run into people sometimes on missions but I get the impression they're also on a mission, just not the same one as mine so we help each other out a bit when we converge and then go our separate ways.

If anyone is playing this on xbone shoot me a friend request.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-11-2014 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you need to party up in the city moon thing (forgot the name) or request to join someone's fireteam when you encounter them in the wild.
most of the coop is indeed as you describe - random events in the world - but you can coop actual story missions by doing the above.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2014 07:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah... I'm not really into waiting around in the city. It's neat though but for now I prefer doing my own thing. Perhaps as I get to more difficult things I'll want some teamates.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-12-2014 02:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Polygon 6/10. Halo with levelling.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-12-2014 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The games amazing. Also, those early reviews are a tad disingenuous as the raids and other content has not been unlocked yet. Game of the year for me.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 09-12-2014 11:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Angry Joe's preview looked boring. I don't like Halo's cartoony bouncy combat style. Bungie, I am disappoint. Are the people who made Myth and Marathon even still working there?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-12-2014 11:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alex Seropian left ages ago, but Jason Jones is still there. Seropian pretty much was Bungie as far as I was concerned.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-13-2014 02:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
The games amazing. Also, those early reviews are a tad disingenuous as the raids and other content has not been unlocked yet. Game of the year for me.

Too many mixed messages.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.