Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Climate change

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Climate change

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Largest glacier calving ever witnessed

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that must be what it's like when geoff's wife lets go of the side of their above-ground pool

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 08:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But old, innit?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How is this climate change?... This shit prolly happens all the time and is rarely noticed is all... Grow up...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 11:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here we go...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good news is that the Antarctic is getting record highs for sea ice and the Arctic ice is up on previous years :up:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

come on guys!

recycle your juice boxes and cereal boxes faster!

we can stop this!

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyone who lives north of 32°N is a moron...my suggestion is to move south...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Good news is that the Antarctic is getting record highs for sea ice and the Arctic ice is up on previous years :up:

Yeah, there's no doubt we're contributing to global warming. But like you said, there are record highs for sea ice right now and these things fluctuate. We could easily just be in another normal climate cycle. Another ice age could happen any time. The world will go on doing its thing, with or without us...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
We could easily just be in another normal climate cycle. Another ice age could happen any time.

Tomorrow's forecast calls for a dusting of snow with a chance of Ice Age. :dork:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 12:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know right!

When I say any time, I'm talking within a few thousand years, which in the grand scheme of time, isn't that much...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Yeah, there's no doubt we're contributing to global warming. But like you said, there are record highs for sea ice right now and these things fluctuate. We could easily just be in another normal climate cycle. Another ice age could happen any time. The world will go on doing its thing, with or without us...

clueless moron...its not a normal climate cycle...events usually cause climate shifts...humans are doing the slow motion moronics event into extinction...dont pretend its something else...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Extinction sounds about right ... ...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

That's like saying you can keep yourself cooler in the summer by leaving your refrigerator door open. Sure, you might feel a bit of momentary relief by letting the cool air from the fridge drift around your skin, but overall the fridge is generating more heat through the back of the unit heating up your house more than before.

Climate change is happening, and it's getting significantly warmer, faster, at an increasingly faster rate, and it is due to human intervention. What brief sense of cooling that you may think you feel is caused by more extreme weather conditions fluctuating as the global average temperature increases. What you're saying about highs of sea ice is untrue, huge swaths of ice shelves have collapsed in recent years and they aren't being replaced. Any thickening of ice is caused by higher amounts of precipitation as more water is being heated and evaporated in other parts of the world and freezing in the arctics.

That documentary "Chasing Ice" is on Netflix. It's a good watch for anyone interested.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All I need to see is some asshole bury a 30FT pole into solid ice and come back a year and the fucking thing is laying on its side because 30FT thick of ice has melted in a year. See you all in hell.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is why I'm waiting before I upgrade.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 12:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
come on guys!

we can stop this!

lollercakes

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
anyone who lives north of 32°N is a moron...my suggestion is to move south...

Some people believe those who live in colder climates have a higher IQ because it took more intelligence to survive natural selection in those conditions.

Is it nice and toasty in Texas today? :clownboat:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
come on guys!

we can stop this!

You have kids right? I wouldn't be making jokes if I were you...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

his kids will be too busy trying to survive in the ever-bleaker world of 21st century capitalism to worry about climate change

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
trying to survive in the ever-bleaker world of 21st century capitalism

which will be made vastly more difficult due to climate change

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

serious question...why is puff such a pretentious faggy douche?...something to ponder...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
serious question...why is puff such a pretentious faggy douche?...something to ponder...

pre·ten·tious
adjective: pretentious

attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Sounds a lot more like you no?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really... But u go girl...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
seremtan wrote:
trying to survive in the ever-bleaker world of 21st century capitalism

which will be made vastly more difficult due to climate change

adapting to or reduction of which will be made vastly more difficult due to perma-'austerity', widening inequality and the corporate capture of regulatory institutions., i.e. ever-bleaker capitalism

and so on...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 02:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

lol

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-26-2015 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nifty article explaining the 3% 'contrarian' claims about global warming:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ian-papers

Quote:
There is a 97% expert consensus on a cohesive theory that’s overwhelmingly supported by the scientific evidence, but the 2–3% of papers that reject that consensus are all over the map, even contradicting each other. The one thing they seem to have in common is methodological flaws like cherry picking, curve fitting, ignoring inconvenient data, and disregarding known physics.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-26-2015 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does this surprise ANYone?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-26-2015 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When preaching to the choir, of course not. But you'll be surprised by the number of conservative dumb fuck climate-change deniers out there.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-26-2015 11:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People should have to take a test before they can reproduce.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-27-2015 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

like an algebra test

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-27-2015 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So have you all heard about this 6th great mass extinction that has begun?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-27-2015 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ohhhhhhh, do tell!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-27-2015 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
So have you all heard about this 6th great mass extinction that has begun?

welcome to the Holocene, baby :drool:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-30-2016 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.alternet.org/environment/unp ... am-crosses

Quote:
Climate scientists this week expressed alarm after “unprecedented” data showed the Northern Hemisphere Jet Stream crossing the Equator.

In a column on Tuesday, environmental blogger Robert Scribbler noted that the Northern Hemisphere Jet Stream had merged with the Southern Hemisphere Jet Stream.

“It’s the very picture of weather weirding due to climate change. Something that would absolutely not happen in a normal world,” he wrote. “Something, that if it continues, basically threatens seasonal integrity.”

“That’s bad news for seasonality,” he continued. “You get this weather-destabilizing and extreme weather generating mixing of seasons that is all part of a very difficult to deal with ‘Death of Winter’ type scenario.”
University of Ottawa climate scientist Paul Beckwith called the new behavior “unprecedented.”

“Our climate system behaviour continues to behave in new and scary ways that we have never anticipated, or seen before,” Beckwith observed. “Welcome to climate chaos. We must declare a global climate emergency.”

In a YouTube video, Beckwith said that the jet stream behavior signaled “massive hits to the food supply” and “massive geopolitical unrest.”

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.