Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-16-2014 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silver Linings Playbook 9/10

Really, really good flick. Surprisingly funnier than I thought it would be...

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 02-16-2014 06:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
The Wolf of Wall Street 4/10

Giving it 4/10 purely on it being mildly entertaining, a few of the drug scenes made me laugh a little bit.

This movie managed to piss me off more than a bit actually. Yes, let's glorify some asshole that did immense damage and got away mostly clean... it's a few rotten individuals that do this sort of thing after all, not well respected institutions. Wolf offers no underlying message, no moral lesson, nothing to make you think. If Scorcese had balls he would have made this movie about HSBC laundering cartel money on a scale so terrifying it led to exactly zero convictions and the largest fine in history, which translated to about 5 weeks of profit.

This film could have told an important story but instead chose to entertain. Gutless. :down:

I can understand this. I did like the movie, but the swearing started to throw me after awhile. And I swear a lot. I get what Scorsese was going for and the time period and such but man...
I feel like Jonah Hill was a good pick for the counter part. Threw me at first, I didn't realize he was in it.
Damn it was long too. Saw it in theaters, I hate sitting still for 3 hours.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-07-2014 09:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Braveheart wrote:
The Social Network

pretty good, actually :)

7/10

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 03-17-2014 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
The Wolf of Wall Street 4/10

Giving it 4/10 purely on it being mildly entertaining, a few of the drug scenes made me laugh a little bit.

This movie managed to piss me off more than a bit actually. Yes, let's glorify some asshole that did immense damage and got away mostly clean... it's a few rotten individuals that do this sort of thing after all, not well respected institutions. Wolf offers no underlying message, no moral lesson, nothing to make you think. If Scorcese had balls he would have made this movie about HSBC laundering cartel money on a scale so terrifying it led to exactly zero convictions and the largest fine in history, which translated to about 5 weeks of profit.

This film could have told an important story but instead chose to entertain. Gutless. :down:

you do know it's based on the book, right?

PostPosted: 03-17-2014 12:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
feedback wrote:
Lone Survivor -- 9/10
Makes Blackhawk Down look like Tropic Thunder

Watched this too yesterday, thought it was a real terrible attempt at recreating Blackhawk Down, which was miles better... the best 2 things i can say about it is that they had some great shots and it was filmed in an area that looks a lot like Afghanistan. But how you were more invested in the characters in this than in BHD is beyone me, every character was so utterly two dimensional even Michael Bay could learn from it.

Also, lots and lots of dumb patriotism layed on real thick, no study of the Talib tactics in that particular battle (which would have made for a much more interesting watch), a needlessly dramatized fictional ending (would have been far more powerful to show how Pashtunwali made Shah not attack the villagers and retreat to Pakistan instead of waiting for the inevitable US onslaught like some kind of moron), etc etc.

What made Blackhawk Down powerful was that it was a fuckup from beginning to end, with some heroics mixed in. This was basically the same thing, the original operation was a complete mess and Shah not only survived, but came out a lot stronger. But no, lets portray him as some kind of unreasonable savage that's hot on beheadings and ignores common guerilla battle tactics, folks might think we're fighting a cunning people with decades of experience as warriors instead of worthless animals.

And goddamn i hate that actor, whatshisface, the dude who survives? Mark something or another? He's horrendous and he cannot act for shit and i wish a plague upon his house :!:

man bin laden couldn't have written this review any better :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-17-2014 11:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kick-Ass

Thought the premise of this movie was good, it had potential. But I feel they massively fucked it up the moment "Hit Girl" and "Big Daddy" (or whatevs his name is) got screen time. Things suddenly turned massively violent and it was no longer about a kid wanting to be a super hero and his struggle towards getting there.

A missed opportunity, because it had potential, but they failed to realize that.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-18-2014 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whatever you do, don't watch the sequel.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-22-2014 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Out of the Furnace 8/10

simply based on the cast's performance, specially Bale's. the premise is fairly dismissable, but damn, good acting can make any turd look good.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-23-2014 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Veronica Mars - good if you liked the show. I can't imagine why anyone who didn't watch the TV show would be tempted by this, but just in case... It would make far less sense than watching Serenity before Firefly would. As a film it's probably not that great. The plot is hugely implausible, but that describes the entire show so whatever. Enjoy it for what it is - wish-fulfillment for fans.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-23-2014 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

holy shit, menkent!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-24-2014 06:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Whatever you do, don't watch the sequel.

Ok, I won't. That would be the second time I take a recommendation from you. Considering you were right the first time (Mirror's Edge), I'll grant you this one as well :smirk:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-24-2014 07:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I watched Reservoir Dogs. I have to admit I hadn't ever seen it in its entirety before.

It's a masterfully crafted movie, but god damn is it depressing. I kind of expected it to be a little more light fluff like Pulp Fiction. Boy was I wrong. Still, this movie gets an A+ from me.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-24-2014 09:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Monuments Men

Quote:
"The Monuments Men" is a group of men (in real life around 350, and in this film 7) who are tasked with saving the historically and culturally significant monuments, fine arts and archives during World War II. They have to find and return that which the French hid and the Germans were finding and stealing and then hiding....

Source & IMDB

Not bad but not good. Good premise, story acting etc.
7.5/10

I recognized Bob Balaban.
You might know him as Dr. R. Chandra of 2010 and his chat to HAL or from CE3K (Close Encounters of the Third Kind)
ImageImage

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-25-2014 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Monuments Men. Is that really Ocean's Eleven in WW2? The trailer made it look like it.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-25-2014 01:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Movies i watched on the plane and on my trip to asia:

I, Frankenstein - I, Shitmovie

Dallas Buyers Club - 8/10 - great performances

Enders Game - 7/10 - I actually enjoyed it more than i expected. The kids are all total clichés but their interaction was done well. Good ending.

Thor, The Dark World - 5/10 - I don't even remember the plot.

Wolf of Wallstreet - 7/10 - well done, but: Just another mafia flick. Scorcese is a complete sexist.

Beverly Hills Cop 2 - 8/10 - Childhood memories.

Green Lantern - 3/10 - Tried to watch it 3 times. Bored me to deatch each time.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-25-2014 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hah, i watched Thor the Dark World as well and i don't remember a goddamn thing either.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-25-2014 04:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
holy shit, menkent!

indeed, holy shit me. :-*

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-25-2014 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
holy shit, menkent!

menkent Image Coming back or just passing :)

Pext, that is what I call a movie marathon. How many hour flight or how long were you awake watching these?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 03-25-2014 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Up in the Air (2009)

Wow, really good.

9/10

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-26-2014 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Bruges. Never seen it before, quality :olo:
Really made me miss Europe though, curse this barren wasteland that is Australia :disgust:

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 03-26-2014 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Escape Plan 7/10

Better then I was expecting actually. I'm a sucker for Stallone though.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 03-26-2014 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Machinist (2003)

It's a bit heavy, but it kept me engaged. At the same time, I'm a fan of Christian Bale since American Psycho.

7.5/10

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-27-2014 02:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dredd 6/10

Surprisingly not bad, i thought.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-27-2014 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Dredd 6/10

Unexpectedly entertained by it, but Cersei's slo-mo scene at the end dragged on for an eternity.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-27-2014 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Ryoki wrote:
Dredd 6/10

Unexpectedly entertained by it, but Cersei's slo-mo scene at the end dragged on for an eternity.

DREDD was good, in 3D it was quality. I'd give it a 7 :up:

Ryoki wrote:
Hah, i watched Thor the Dark World as well and i don't remember a goddamn thing either.

Same !, just the floating truck, I tried watching it like 3 times n all and that's all I can remember !. I have no idea what the plot was or know any of the other scenes.

The new 300 one - 6/10. Kinda gay but the bitches tits make the movie worthwhile :up:

Snowpiercer ? - 6/10, silly plot, kinda stupid but good sci fi imo

Anchorman 2 - :olo: :olo: :olo:

Robocop - >:E >:E >:E

Non-stop - 6.5/10. Cool action flick, took itself a bit too seriously though, which was fine until a certain bit

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-29-2014 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tremors BR

damn, 24yrs ago already

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-29-2014 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grumpy Old Men

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 03-29-2014 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Grumpy Old Men

That would be a good name change for the forum also.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 03-29-2014 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seven Psychopaths

It was pretty funny, but sometimes I felt like they were trying a bit too hard.

7/10

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-30-2014 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They Live :up:

pure duke nukem :up:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-30-2014 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
saturn wrote:
holy shit, menkent!

menkent Image Coming back or just passing :)

never really left, just busy with kid, life, etc and nothing interesting to say.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-30-2014 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
nothing interesting to say.

Doesn't stop Geoff from posting.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-13-2014 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Raid 2: Berendal 9/10

Thought The Raid 1 was the best action movie in years so i was pretty stoked about part 2. Like part 1 its another bloody masterpiece, the fights are just ridiculously wonderful... gotta say i found the plot confusing, but it's really not important.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-13-2014 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ride Along

pretty funny 8/10

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 04-13-2014 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Prestige... interesting un-expected ending.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.