Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-13-2014 02:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cabin in the Woods

wat.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-13-2014 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:

Enders Game - 7/10 - I actually enjoyed it more than i expected. The kids are all total clichés but their interaction was done well. Good ending.

Thanks Pext.
I just had the opportunity at a friends video store closure to pick up the BluRay and looking forward to viewing soon :up:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 04-14-2014 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just get good and shit-faced before you pop it in, then you can blame the gaping plot holes on your drunkenness and maybe still enjoy it. i'm assuming pext was really, really high if he gave it a 7.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-14-2014 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Coherence 7/10

Multiverse theory film, pretty well done for an obvious low budget film i thought. Worth a watch.

Cheap Thrills 6/10

Two dudes meet another dude and his bored wife in a bar, engage in a series of bets that escalate quickly, leading to all kind of horrible shit. Good idea, excecution was a bit lacking. It entertains, but barely.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 04-15-2014 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 9/10 ; truly timeless. everything in this movie is spot on and i can not think of anything that could have been better. might be 10/10 but that depends on how much i like it when rewatching it; or it might go down to 8/10 if i get tired of the visual gags.

True Detective - 9/10 ; it will still stand out in a few years.

The science of sleep - 7/10 ; partly it works perfectly - it gives a good impression of what it's like to be schizophrenic. the visuals are fun but some parts are not just random and don't really contribute much to the movie; for example the aspect of the protagnosists discontempt with his work and his power-fantasy dreams.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-15-2014 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
The Prestige... interesting un-expected ending.

Liked this too :up:

Between this and The Machinist I actually started to appreciate Bale's acting beyond American Psycho :up:

If you havn't seen that btw then check it out

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-15-2014 04:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I see and hear a lot of people giving The Prestige shit, but that ending was fantastic and really made me think.
Lots of stuff about consciousness and the self going on there.

It's why I'm very dubious of the singularity nerd rapture a lot of contemporary sci-fi authors currently seem obsessed with.
None of the ones I've read have really looked deeply into what uploading implies for the "original" you. And I think The Prestige nailed it. Any copy of you isn't you. It's another person that happens to share the same memories.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-15-2014 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I might get some flack for this but...

the 6th day with Arnie made me think quite deeply about that, still think about it now. Not the best of the films but the premise was intriguing as fuck.

It's like spiritual science and I thought the prestige pretty much nailed it, they made excellent use of fiction and reality then pieced it together with more than 1 viewpoint to create something that made you wonder.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-15-2014 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also David Bowie was pretty damn awesome as Tesla.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-15-2014 05:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

true, with as little air time he had, he nearly stole the show

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 04-15-2014 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bowie is God. Just fyi.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-20-2014 11:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transcendence - 7/10

It was ok. One of the better films I've seen in theaters recently but I guess that really isn't saying much.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-21-2014 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unknown (2011)

I saw the name Liam Neeson in the cast list and thought this has got to be worth a look..

Pleasantly surprised in that, although a little slow at first, the storyline matures to a near thriller. With the twist you'd near expect of course, entertaining to the end so well worth a look if you get the chance.

7.5/10

IMDB

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-21-2014 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oculus. Very cool.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-21-2014 10:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
The Grand Budapest Hotel - 9/10 ; truly timeless. everything in this movie is spot on and i can not think of anything that could have been better. might be 10/10 but that depends on how much i like it when rewatching it; or it might go down to 8/10 if i get tired of the visual gags..............

Thanks Pext. I was looking for a movie to go and see tomorrow and your evaluation, well, it convinced me...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-22-2014 09:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it convinced me but not today. The cinema was near full and we were told and we'd have to sit towards the front.
"Not in your lifetime... I will go the the Noah movie instead" I told the ticket seller.

Noah (2014)

Well Noah, the latest biblical movie out there but funny, there was no mention of the Bible or God?

Look I didn't mind this epic at all. Entertaining but not great. Give it a miss unless you're keen.

Stars:
Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Anthony Hopkins & Emma Watson

They all played their parts very well but it didn't save the film IMO.

6/10

IMDB

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-23-2014 12:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

please tell me the Noah story was retold as a secular eco-morality tale. that would be richly amusing

also

Downfall - awesome as usual, but the scene where Hitler realises that the war is lost has been ruined for me now

thanks, internet

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-25-2014 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what you get for being a meme whore.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 04-25-2014 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah, the movie where we're supposed to feel sorry for hitler because all his friends abandon him :'( and then as a bonus the last hour is a snuff film where everyone you meet in the first two hours commits suicide. weeee. :tard:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3 hours of Hitler BS?! Fuuu, how could you watch that?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 05:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
That's what you get for going on the internet, ever.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-26-2014 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A Bridge too Far

Quote:
A historical telling of the failed attempt to capture several bridges on a road to Germany in World War II, in a campaign called Operation Market-Garden.

Made in 1977, I thought earlier but still a great war movie with lots of top name actors of the era, so one to watch sometime :)
8/10

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-30-2014 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Wind Rises, Oculus & Lego movie, all A++
Stalingrad was also good but russian melodrama gets old fairly quick
Transcendence, piece of shit awful

Looking forward to Maleficent

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-01-2014 09:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Fine piece - Must see - 9/10

Just watched again and I was surprised I originally posted the above 05-23-2007 11:26 PM

Just an awesome movie so if you get the chance, watch it.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 05-02-2014 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

Fine piece - Must see - 9/10

Just watched again and I was surprised I originally posted the above 05-23-2007 11:26 PM

Just an awesome movie so if you get the chance, watch it.

Agreed, 300 is a classic.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-03-2014 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Desolation of Smaug - CGIwank/10

the moral of the story is: don't give Peter Jackson a big budget. keep him lean and hungry, so he makes an effort instead of dropping fat slabs of self-indulgent shite like this

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-04-2014 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)

Yes that movie about the surprise attack on Pearl Harbour.
Much like the later Pearl Harbour movie made in 2001 but appreciate back in the early 7o's they didn't have CGI (no real computers).

Worth a look 6.5/10

IMDB

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-04-2014 06:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you twat. you give 300 a 9/10 but Tora Tora Tora a 6.5/10? are we using the same system of numbers? die.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-04-2014 06:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I'd have to agree. Whiskey's film ratings are a bit...off. But he's entitled I suppose...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-04-2014 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
you twat. you give 300 a 9/10 but Tora Tora Tora a 6.5/10? are we using the same system of numbers? die.

Have you seen Tora Tora Tora at all or lately?

I was surprised how old it was looking. Granted, probably a great movie in its day but in these days it just doesn't rate much higher IMO. I might go to a 7 if that helps :)

What was disappointing were the scenes of the Japanese aircraft carriers at sea. The model effects were really sad. Yes, what did I expect, but see them if you can and see what I am on about...

To add, there was really any good acting to speak of, again IMO...

Finally, I was into model aircraft in my youth and the Zero fighter looked somewhat different to the ones depicted so I am a little suspicious. I do wonder how many real Zero fighter planes are actually about these days or in the days of this films' making.. And yes, some of the aircraft used in the raid were bombers and not Zeros :)

The movie just seems rather dated...

Hmm. Quick google...

Quote:
The Wikipedia page for the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service says that in 1941 (no month specified) the Japanese Navy had 660 fighters of which 350 were zeros. Some of the 350 likely never made it out of the homeland. Japan had 6 fleet carriers but some carried no more than 18 zeros. They had light carriers, but they were not fully equipped with A6M.

Source

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-04-2014 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, and the 300 was gorgeous :D

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-04-2014 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gilded shit is shiny, but it's still shit

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 05-04-2014 09:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off mankunt. :olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-04-2014 10:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
gilded shit is shiny, but it's still shit

I have heard that euphemism before and it it true of course menkent.
Still movies are here (made) to entertain :D

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-05-2014 01:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Idiocracy - 7/10

Solid satire.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.