Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Reflex level editor

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Reflex level editor

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 11-18-2014 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-19-2014 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watching Castle's video on engines...

CODradiant... is that available for us mappers? Or do you need to have those games? And is there a way to use it for Q3A. I suspect Q3A engine would not be able to use the prefab system?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am wondering about getting Reflex, since it is quite affordable. Would it be OK to then post the map progress on LEM?

As a "spiritual successor" to Q3A it might be interesting to do so. Also I like this forum more ;)

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys! Sorry for being away a bit, I have been crazy busy lately.

As for seeing the tools potential I see a ton of potential on all fronts. I currently view Reflexes multiplayer editing tools as a true next gen concept that should be strongly considered for all development tools. Imagine if Unity was multiplayer and you just sit there on Team speak with your team as everyone adds content to the game. Imagine if UE4 was multiplayer and you can test UT4 maps in real time or build a new game in real time with friends.

Its social engineering and its no joke. When you allow people to turn building a game into a social experience you transform the entire game industry. Its not a feature its a paradigm shift. People joining a server they like to add content to a game they think they will enjoy when its done. People learning to build and create at accelerated levels by watching others work in real time. People forging friendships with others and working as a team in a truly social environment.

I need to do a video showing off the magnitude of development that happens on the large scale Minecraft servers, they have an entire community with a hierarchy and organization. Different ranking members enjoy a feeling of prestige. Huge worlds filled with insane amounts of crafted content. These are Minecraft servers with THOUSANDS of players, being given plots of land to build on then have their content judged by others for an opportunity to be provided with a larger plot.

Its absolutely fucking absurd. And I guarantee you if Reflex has modding support the same phenomenon will occur. Hell even if it doesnt, we will see fucking insane projects like team DM in ALL OF MIDDLE EARTH or fucking ALL OF MANHATTEN the death match level...

I plan to do a public level design server later today. Before I do I will post my CFG files here to help out however I can.

Tsu: https://www.tsu.co/zZCastleZz
Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well... I could say a few things about "social irrelevance" a la facebook but I will not.

I installed Reflex... starting to configure the keys, weapons are already on my q3a setup... and starting to put radiant keys on a few things now, e.g. clone is "space". A huge amount of maps already exists... checking out how they do things. 2-3 hours you could start getting something done. Nifty. Something that makes me a bit nervous, on my rig Q3A would have 300+ FPS... in the default Reflex map the FPS is around 90... does not bode well for a more complex map I am going to push for.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tip on a 5-button mouse, the k and m keys to get/set textures are totally unusable, especially when you try to get texture faces using the shift key additionally, try using mouse4 and mouse 5 instead. I use mouse3 to change from game to edit mode:

Code:
bind mouse3 cl_playerstate 1
bind mouse4 me_setmaterial
bind mouse5 me_getmaterial

Into the editor.cfg file with that.

(I miss GTKradiants, direct rip the texture off that brush and slam it right onto another one, without having to select the get brush and then select the destination bushes.)

BTW, it really is neat to be able to check instantly how something was build in Reflex... and actually fix it on the spot... and to hardcore caulkers it seems almost a sin how sloppy some of the brushwork it. Brushes intersecting other brushes and the like. But then again, their engine might be handling things differently. Still old habits die hard.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-25-2014 05:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it's possible to to select a single face of a brush and apply a different material to that?
Also, can you duck? I kind of miss the ability to move straight downwards in the editor.
Oh, and what is this "caulk" texture that prevents surfaces from being lit?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-25-2014 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've spent like twenty minutes in the editor and I'm not sure if I prefer it to the Radiant way of things. Moving around the world to see what you're doing is kind of clumsy. Maybe I need to get more adept in it by using the editor more, but I'm not sure if it's faster to build things in Reflex than in Radiant. The editor-to-game time is cut down to nearly zero in Reflex though, so that's definitely a big plus.
It's also nice that you're basically editing in-game, so you're getting a much better feel for how things will end up looking in the game than you'd get with Radiant. This is especially true for a sense of scale. It would be great if they had a hybrid way of doing things. Have the option to show 2D views with a single press of a button, that would be nice.

It's clear to me that the editor is still in very early stages. Like Castle said, I do see lots of potential. It's there, but it needs to manifest itself in future releases of the game. I really hope the devs pull through and build something nice out of it. With early access projects like this, you can never be too sure.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-25-2014 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To select a single face... well indirectly. Select a brush (LMB), then hold shift (this lets you highlight a face), keep shift pressed and hit k (like copy texture) (a quick shift+k) works as well). Then select the brush with the destination face, shift+m to paste the texture on only that face.

AFAICT you cannot duck.

editor_no_light: The texture in question is base/internal/editor/textures/editor/editor_no_light, use the ContentBrowserHack tool to find it. With it open and the game running, open the console in the editor, then in the CBH press "Send to Reflex" it pastes to texture into the console, you now can past it onto a brush via m or on a brush face via shift+m... basically the CBH updates the material "cache".

On editing: In almost no case is the Reflex faster than Radiant... and we all have been keeping it under wraps. It is a challenge to get what we want out of it, and that is what interests me... plus it potentially has some pretty features... lighting, glow, bloom and the like.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-25-2014 11:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maybe you guys need to adapt your ways to reflex rather than trying to adapt reflex to be like radiant.
just a thought.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-25-2014 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will most likely do that, experience in several editors tells me that the ways the dev did it the best.

But doing what AE does is a good start to learn how it functions so, when you know how it works it's easier to work with it with any kind of commands and controlls.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-25-2014 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I posted some suggestions to the devs :)... just to keep them on their toes... hopefully they will add some of the functionality the editor really still needs:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2014 11:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
maybe you guys need to adapt your ways to reflex rather than trying to adapt reflex to be like radiant.
just a thought.

Partially true, but the editor in its current shape just misses a lot of tools that could greatly speed up level building.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2014 11:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
I posted some suggestions to the devs :)... just to keep them on their toes... hopefully they will add some of the functionality the editor really still needs:

-Brush grouping
-Hide/unhide selected brushes
-Ability to move straight down
-Brush rotation/mirroring
-CSG/merge/clipper tools
-Many other things :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-26-2014 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well GTKradiant does not really have brush grouping either.The grouping thing was more for light compiles.

Alt+LMB moves straight down.

Hide, rotate, mirror, clipper tools mentioned.

The CGS/merge I had not mentioned. Merge would help indeed, the CGS almost always was not the way to go in Readiant...

Steam sales are one... the game was reduced by 10%... but the tiny bit of extra money I paid hopefully helps the devs.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-27-2014 12:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Brush grouping w/o having to use func_brush would be great. Like QuArk does it. But in any case, any kind of grouping of brushes is good.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-27-2014 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exactly, QuarK had it... but after buying that editor I used it for Half-Life... but IIRC not for Q2 and onward. Not quite sure why that was. So never really benefited from brush grouping since thereafter all the editors did not have the feature...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-27-2014 01:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It wasn't ideal in Radiant, but you could apply the func_group entity and use a key combination (can't remember which) to select all brushes within the currently selected entity.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-27-2014 01:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The key at least here in Sweden is ALTGR+LMB to select an entire brush based entity, I think the command to use otherwise might be ALT+CTRL+LMB

This goes very off topic, but anyway:

I never used QuArk outside HL1 and Q1 either, I think it was because the games got more advanced, I remember Quark couldn't do patches in a good way so (in the beginning of q3) I had to use radiant, also at that time I liked the shader preview pluggs that radiant had. It was just a more native Q3 editor.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-27-2014 02:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Alt+LMB moves straight down.

Just spotted this. I didn't mean moving brushes up/down, I meant moving the cameraview straight down.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-27-2014 04:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I almost thought you might, I *never* use that in Radiant... maybe I should.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.