Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-12-2014 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nitin77 wrote:
phantazm's map along with q3gwdm2 should be the contender for the main prizes in the mapcore contest IMHO. Amazing maps looks + gameplay wise.

Dude, I'm trying my hardest to remain impartial and unbiased here. Not cool.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 12-13-2014 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry I have no idea who the judges are or how the maps are being judged. I was simple stating my thoughts after having played some of the maps.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-13-2014 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was joking, of course. :rolleyes:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-14-2014 05:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Secretly obsidian is taking part, having worked on and hoarded an über-map, 10 years in the making. ;)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-14-2014 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:D

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-14-2014 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More shots. I'll ease down on them now though, seeing how this is still a Quake 3 forum. :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-14-2014 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs, is secretly using GTKradiant in some way... I am sure of it... :p Doing all this in Reflex's editor mode is just too... painful... well it certainly is a skill.

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 12-14-2014 03:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
More shots. I'll ease down on them now though, seeing how this is still a Quake 3 forum. :)

You mean Reflex isn't the sequel to Quake 3 CPMA? :p

Tsu: https://www.tsu.co/zZCastleZz
Twitter: @zZCastleZz

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 03:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks great Fjoggs but I wouldn't be surprised if all the time you put in now is wasted because the tech is going to change.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not excactly sure what you mean by wasted, as the map won't suddenly stop working. If by wasted you mean I'm putting in more effort than needed if I had multiselect, rotate etc, then sure. :p

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 04:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm afraid cityy means that it's not impossible for the file format of maps to change sometime in the future making your map unreadable for the game.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I highly doubt it, seeing how most of the work on the engine is already done and the game has been released to the public via early access. Besides, people made a q3 map to reflex converter. Creating a tool that converts old reflex files to the "new" one shouldn't be too hard.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 08:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:

I'll allow it.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm afraid cityy means that it's not impossible for the file format of maps to change sometime in the future making your map unreadable for the game.

No, that's not what I mean. I was more aiming towards what fjoggs said. They haven't thought about how to make it possible to add the level of detail they are aiming for using their editor (yet). I could totally imagine them using their editor only for the hull and then polishing the level in a 3d modeling app. However, I hope they can come up with some nice way to make detailing maps a part of this but I reckon it will be pretty damn hard.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:
I could totally imagine them using their editor only for the hull and then polishing the level in a 3d modeling app.

Perhaps that what they'll end up doing, but I hope not. It kind of takes away all the fun of having a real-time editor if you have to exit out and make the bulk of your map in a modelling program. If that's the case, they might as well toss out their editor and just team up with GtkRadiant.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The editor's goal is to be the only tool you need. Of course you could probably include custom models down the road, but most maps will be built and completed in the in-game editor. I've been nagging the programmer for some editor love, so hopefully it'll come soon. :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think on instinct the brush-based-ness of the Reflex editor was what drew me to it... more of the good old days, but with a much more modern engine, that even without optimization can pretty much render larger maps, with a lot (not tons of) brushwork.

I very much hope does not end up like the past UT editors, that create hulls, and the rest is meshes.

Castle showed what CODradiant can do, they had (was it called instancing?)... well you could basically build a house that would be one map, then place it in your larger gameworld map. But from the main map you could at any time start editing the house again, and it was built up of brushes. One level up the house pretty much was placed like a model with all the texture alignment not getting off when rotating the house. And so it was with all the deco in the map world... I think the term was prototyping... you build something with radiant once, and then it can be sprinkled all over the place, and you centrally need to only change the main instance in the editor to have it change everywhere else. So technically something like meshes, but you build things in radiant instead. Something like that would be neat... a way to build things in-editor, but have those things engine efficient enough to allow plastering everything with it. So little to no need of using a modelling tool. In Q3A so much brushwork would kill the FPS... so that would be my hope for Reflex... though I see it not as that likely to happen.

If I read that correctly, only a few folks in Australia are working on Reflex (was it only 3?)... so you cannot expect miracles like from the huge other devs teams. As that may be... the fun I have had for 10€ so far, was well worth it...

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3 people working part time after work. Their programmer is working full-time on it from today I believe.

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 12-15-2014 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Castle showed what CODradiant can do, they had (was it called instancing?)...

Its called hierarchical instancing and I feel that its something every level designer and engine/tools programer should take some time to understand in great detail. Its application is a paradigm shift for level design flow when it is utilized to its full potential. If Reflex were to have proper hierarchical instancing it would mold the development tools in incredible ways.

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 12-16-2014 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok so here is a video on the topic of Reflex and why I think its a big deal. The video is bit long but it covers everything I have been wanting to say about it.

http://youtu.be/QKUvz3HRshU?list=PLZmVk ... D9xSFD1Y8q

It covers, heiarchical instancing, play in editor and multiplayer as well as my thoughts on having a single 3D interface.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-17-2014 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

woo gothic :)

very early stuff, messing about with stock textures etc.

*fixed

Last edited by fKd on 12-18-2014 12:34 AM, edited 2 times in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-17-2014 09:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

URL isn't public so we can't see it.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 03:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
[image]

*fixed

I have been waiting for this to happen, nice fkd! :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 04:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey fKd, how's that EntityPlus level coming along? ;)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 04:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:

Looks like something, in an alternate universe, that id might have made. Certainly a lot of detail packed in. I like the metal structure that keeps up the bridge.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:

*fixed

But this isn't tech/sci fi? Are you ok? I'm worried!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
fKd wrote:

Looks like something, in an alternate universe, that id might have made. Certainly a lot of detail packed in. I like the metal structure that keeps up the bridge.

i do too, but its weird that the bridge is stairs for the sake of being stairs. unless it's actually some kind of altar/giant pentagram? virgin sacrifice model required. do it

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:

*fixed

Hey wow!

Nice to see something completely different! Would love to run around in it!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interestingly, I almost never built stairs in Q3A... but in Reflex you can double-jump off them (CPMA apparently too)... so now I am actually looking into adding such jump elements.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Hey fKd, how's that EntityPlus level coming along? ;)

heh :) I repacked it so its stand alone, added ladders and some enemies. But there are a few rooms at the end of the level that i just seem to always draw a blank on when trying to detail. I build a bunch of stuff, then just hate it and delete it all... so frustrating!!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:
epic gargoyle placement bro! :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-20-2014 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, nice shot :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-20-2014 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome stuff fKd!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-25-2014 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just couldn't find enough time to complete my level for MapCore, but I'm continuing to work on it as and when I get the chance.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-26-2014 12:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY,
quite humbling screenshots, dramatic sky, great skybox, very interesting design and textures... looks really nice.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.