The last movie you saw

Open discussion about any topic, as long as you abide by the rules of course!
Ryoki

Re: The last movie you saw

Post by Ryoki »

Heh aye. And probably the fact that the Oscar guys are exclusively white males in their 60's and 70's...
[size=85][color=#0080BF]io chiamo pinguini![/color][/size]
seremtan

Post by seremtan »

they did their white liberal guilt thing last year with 12 Years a Slave
Doombrain

Post by Doombrain »

MKJ wrote:A New Hope Revisited

Basically a fan made edit of the original Star Wars movie, though the term "fan made" undersells it quite a bit.
This guy went through great lengths to restore the movie to its original version (Han shoots first!) but with the image and sound fidelity we've come to accept in today's movies. Furthermore he corrects a bunch of continuity errors and actually redid some of the special effects and matte paintings. It took him several years, and ESB is getting the same treatment.
The end result is awesome, though I don't like the Death Star explosion shot at the end. One of the few things I liked about the SE version were the new effects used in that shot.
https://swrevisited.wordpress.com/anhr-change-list/

Bonus points 'cause I watched it with my son for the first time who is about to turn 5. I skipped over the more intense parts of the movie as he's used to watching cartoons and those do not feature people getting shot in the face with lasers.
Nonetheless he loved it. He's in the whole spaceship and cops-n-robbers thing now so this was perfect.
His favorite was the trench run, and Mos Eisley. Also, Artoo is "the smartest robot ever".
I've been following this chap for years. He's going to do all six films.
seremtan

Post by seremtan »

Theory of Everything - 6.59/10

better than expected, and Eddie Redmayne's performance was amazing

[spoiler]he doesn't die[/spoiler]
scared?

Post by scared? »

"DOMINATION: The Biography of Freakaloin" 10/10

Best movie ever?... Obviously...
losCHUNK

Post by losCHUNK »

scared? wrote:"DOMINATION: The Biography of Freakaloin" 10/10

Best movie ever?... Obviously...
Brokeback Mountain sequel
[color=red] . : [/color][size=85] You knows you knows [/size]
LawL

Post by LawL »

:olo:
Thick, solid and tight in all the right places.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Vanilla Sky - 7/10

Kill The Messenger - 9/10

Renner's finest and a great look into some of the murder and mayhem the US has caused for the better part of the last century.
Pext

Post by Pext »

Birdman - 9/10

Loved it! Mesmerizing!
DTS

Post by DTS »

Ghost in the Shell
0/10

Gutter Trash!

Fool's Gold
9/10

A modern-day treasure hunting story. At first it seems like it's not going to be a very interesting film, but after a while it becomes very exciting.

Occasionally it lapses into verbal story-telling by some of the main characters, and sadly they are not very good at telling stories. Nice level of realism to the whole thing, including the characters, and there's some neat humour scattered throughout.

A very good film. Very emotional.

Inglorious Basterds
7/10

At times it relies too heavily on a pre-existing hatred of Nazis, which often reduces the intensity and power of it. The fact that it's a fantasy film, without any care for telling history, is for most of the duration of the film a recurring annoyance, but in the end, we get what we all want, so the payoff makes it all worth it :) :up:

The One
8/10

I've seen this so many times before, but went without watching it for a long time before seeing it again. Still as good as ever. Jet Li kicks everyone's ass for breakfast, then tries to kick his own alternate universe version's ass. The rest of the cast are well chosen and make everything in the film just fit together so well. Practically a classic. Top special effects. The ending is cool :cool:
Chupacabra

Post by Chupacabra »

This Fool's Gold movie of yours got a 11% on Rotten Tomatoes. Hm. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fools_gold_2008/

Your description makes it sound interesting. Maybe I'll check it out. Not sure yet.
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

Pretty sure though.
Captain

Post by Captain »

The One is one of the worst movies ever made so if he gives that an 8/10, you're in for a turd sandwich.
feedback

Post by feedback »

DTS can't empathize with human emotions, so it's no wonder he doesn't notice the failures in chemistry, acting, and dialogue.
I love quake!
DTS

Post by DTS »

feedback wrote:DTS can't empathize with human emotions, so it's no wonder he doesn't notice the failures in chemistry, acting, and dialogue.
THIS IS BULLSHIT!

1) Jet Li is a brilliant actor.
2) James Morrison is in The One. James Morrison is a brilliant actor. You should have seen him in Space: Above and Beyond. That TV series was so good and intelligent that the dumbass masses couldn't handle it, and so it got cancelled.
3) The dialogue is cool. Being such an uncool fuckwad yourself, you wouldn't know a fucking thing about that.
4) I empathise, I am just a tough guy. Why do you think I said Fool's Gold was "very emotional" if I don't even empathise?
5) The problem with you, Feedback, is you don't get subtlety. Brilliant acting is subtle. You don't even seem to know how to be subtle yourself. It's all "in your face! Fuck you!" with you all the time.

:) :olo: :sly: ;) :up: :down: :offended: :offended: :offended: :)

By the way, the raise-eyebrow smilie should not be called "offended", cause being offended is not the usual reason for one to raise one's eyebrow. Who the fuck re-named/re-coded it? It should be coded like this: o_0
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

DTS wrote:I am just a tough guy.
:olo:
feedback

Post by feedback »

Oh fucking hell, DTS you've made my day.
I love quake!
Mat Linnett

Post by Mat Linnett »

:dork:
Sperg-out.
LawL

Post by LawL »

DTS wrote:THIS IS BULLSHIT!

1) Jet Li is a brilliant actor.
2) James Morrison is in The One. James Morrison is a brilliant actor. You should have seen him in Space: Above and Beyond. That TV series was so good and intelligent that the dumbass masses couldn't handle it, and so it got cancelled.
3) The dialogue is cool. Being such an uncool fuckwad yourself, you wouldn't know a fucking thing about that.
4) I empathise, I am just a tough guy. Why do you think I said Fool's Gold was "very emotional" if I don't even empathise?
5) The problem with you, Feedback, is you don't get subtlety. Brilliant acting is subtle. You don't even seem to know how to be subtle yourself. It's all "in your face! Fuck you!" with you all the time.

:) :olo: :sly: ;) :up: :down: :offended: :offended: :offended: :)

By the way, the raise-eyebrow smilie should not be called "offended", cause being offended is not the usual reason for one to raise one's eyebrow. Who the fuck re-named/re-coded it? It should be coded like this: o_0
Gotten to.
Thick, solid and tight in all the right places.
xer0s

Post by xer0s »

I can't figure DTS out. He just a non-conformist? 99% of the time his opinions seem to be the opposite of the masses.

Also, just to clear this up, he is/was Ultron? And before he was Ultron?
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Yeah, he was Ultron, a.k.a. Dulltron
seremtan

Post by seremtan »

DTS wrote:By the way, the raise-eyebrow smilie should not be called "offended", cause being offended is not the usual reason for one to raise one's eyebrow.
yes, the 'offended' icon should be a tiny GIF of an Islamist shooting cartoonists and Jews
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

I said a few pages back I'd review only recent movies and give them a score but the last movie(s) I watched were

The Godfather (1972)
Stars: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan

The Godfather: Part II (1974)
Stars:Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Robert Duvall

The Godfather: Part III (1990)
Stars: Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Andy Garcia

Yes, near 9 hours of the trilogy.
All I can say is it is a powerful viewing depicting an organized crime dynasty turmoils throughout the generations.

A must view IMO.
[color=#FFBF00]Physicist [/color][color=#FF4000]of[/color] [color=#0000FF]Q3W[/color]
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

seremtan wrote:
DTS wrote:By the way, the raise-eyebrow smilie should not be called "offended", cause being offended is not the usual reason for one to raise one's eyebrow.
yes, the 'offended' icon should be a tiny GIF of an Islamist shooting cartoonists and texans
alternatively an selfproclaimed american minority should do.
Ryoki

Post by Ryoki »

Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead 8/10
Australian zombie flick with some hilarious and refreshing new angles to the genre. Everything made very little sense but that was ok - was entertained throughout :up: Extra point for the excellent horror style camera work, good job there.

John Wick 2/10
A hitman is off to exact revenge after his wife and his dog are killed by Theon Greyjoy who is the spoiled son of a Russian mobster with daddy issues... i don't know what the hell the people who made this were thinking, it's without a doubt the very worst movie i've seen in at least 6 months. For some reason i watched the entire fucking thing too, what's wrong with me? :(

I'm thinking they did it on purpose to market it to airlines for in flight entertainment; shit explodes and folks get shot but it's all so mindlessly terrible and insutingly unintelligent... and to make things worse the score is 90's style marilyn manson rock that hurts your brain - so your biological response is to fall asleep to limit the awfulness. Fuck you for not walking out on this utterly doomed project halfway Keanu Reeves, fuck you.
[size=85][color=#0080BF]io chiamo pinguini![/color][/size]