Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-01-2014 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

am I racist for guessing the black guy was gonna be doing all the fainting?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-04-2014 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Equalizer - 6/10

Black Bruce Willis vs Russian Kevin Spacey

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-05-2014 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gone Girl - WTF/10

The trailer looked alright. Started off as a bit of a satire about small town America, stupid network TV hosts, lonely housewives, media distortion, etc... followed by a slow pressure cooker of strange circumstances that quickly boiled over into absolute insanity. There is so much tension throughout this film, Hitchcock would have been proud. I enjoyed this movie, particularly for it's unpredictability and plot twists which gives it it's WTF/10 rating.

Oh, right... soundtrack is by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, so I enjoyed that too.

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 10-06-2014 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Wolf of Wall Street - snore/10

Watched for about an hour, was entertained for about 50 minutes but then got incredibly bored.
I get it, they're crazy. What else? If it had been a 1 and 1/2 hour movie I would have pushed through, but 2 more hours of this? Pass.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 09:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gone Girl 1-10/10

I have no idea how to rate this. I'm pretty sure what I saw was a really good film. But there's just something about it that really bothered me. And I can't put my finger on it. It might have been the woman that plays the wife. She was either a really good actress, or really bad. I'm leaning good. Maybe it was the music. I don't know, something rubbed me wrong, but I still really liked it...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 10:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-10-2014 10:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's xer0s waiting for someone else's opinion to come along so that he can latch onto it.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 10-12-2014 02:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Gone Girl 1-10/10

I have no idea how to rate this. I'm pretty sure what I saw was a really good film. But there's just something about it that really bothered me. And I can't put my finger on it. It might have been the woman that plays the wife. She was either a really good actress, or really bad. I'm leaning good. Maybe it was the music. I don't know, something rubbed me wrong, but I still really liked it...

Movie falls apart in the last half as the script is shit and the characters don't make any sense. They do things just because... movie. It's held together by solid acting and direction by whoever that cunt is who directed it. Fincher.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-12-2014 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grab on xer0s

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-13-2014 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Frank

A surprisingly star-studded cast for a film inspired by the late Chris Sievey / Frank Sidebottom.
Very enjoyable; a kind of Spinal Tap for the alternative scene. If you're English, you just have to watch it ignoring your preconceptions of who Frank Sidebottom was and go with the delightfully warped story following the tribulations of this group of lunatic misfits.

Pretty cool music too :)

Cast includes Michael Fassbender, Domhnall Gleeson and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal in particular stands out as the psychopathic Clara.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 10-19-2014 08:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Coherence
-Cool movie, but the slow parts are sloooooowwwwwww and then it kicks right into the plot, however key pieces you need to notice are in the slow, boring parts. Otherwise an interesting concept.

The Signal
8/10, pretty darn good

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-19-2014 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Coherence
-Cool movie, but the slow parts are sloooooowwwwwww and then it kicks right into the plot, however key pieces you need to notice are in the slow, boring parts. Otherwise an interesting concept.

I liked it, i'd give ita 6 mainly cos the boring parts were so fucking boring, if I was being generous i'd give it a 6.5. The concept and the way it's weaved together makes the movie worthwhile :up:

ALMighty wrote:
The Wolf of Wall Street - snore/10

Watched for about an hour, was entertained for about 50 minutes but then got incredibly bored.
I get it, they're crazy. What else? If it had been a 1 and 1/2 hour movie I would have pushed through, but 2 more hours of this? Pass.

Same, I think I got as far as you n all. The 1st 5 minutes was the same as 55 minutes in, just with more money. Might aswell watch Lizard Lick Towing.

/fuck it.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 10-20-2014 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

On that note, watch A Touch of Sin while you're at it.

I watched a Touch of Sin. Didn't really do it for me to be honest, but thanks for recommending any way :q3:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-20-2014 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10

Pretty good! I had real fun watching it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-20-2014 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alien.
Really?
Yes.

It's still a very entertaining movie to watch, with the right mindset. It certainly isn't scary anymore but the design of everything is great. It's very 1979 though, especially the space age high tech advanced people still smoking like nobody's ever heard of lung cancer before.

Got Aliens cued up next

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-21-2014 12:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Purge 4/10

Really quite poor, yet i kept watching for some reason. Don't bother.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 10-21-2014 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Edge of Tomorrow - 8/10

Pretty good! I had real fun watching it.

Edge of Tomorrow was great.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-21-2014 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Automata - 9/10

Watch it if you're not a moron.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-21-2014 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Automata - 9/10

Just like most science fiction movies, it intrigues, hooks, but ultimately fails to deliver.
7/10

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-21-2014 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought it was great, as long as you ignore the part with Melanie Griffith. Fucking terrible acting.

Chupacabra wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

On that note, watch A Touch of Sin while you're at it.

I watched a Touch of Sin. Didn't really do it for me to be honest, but thanks for recommending any way :q3:

Did you watch the other two? Mother is also a pretty gripping murder mystery.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-21-2014 10:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Max Payne again, thinking there were at least some redeeming qualities I forgot about.

No.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 10-22-2014 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fury 7/10

It was entertaining, well made, story was meh, but overall not bad.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-22-2014 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Conspiracy - 7/10 - docu-movie about the Wannsee Conference

in a way, it undermined its own billing as 'the conference where they decided to do the Holocaust'; it wasn't decided at Wannsee, it was decided by Hitler before then, given to Heydrich to carry out, and he held the conference to basically tell all the government/military depts to make sure they would all be on board

it was more about how these guys reacted to being told to participate in industrialised mass murder

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-22-2014 04:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oooo, i might have to watch that. *checks netflix*

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-23-2014 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Super 8

Yes, I am sure you've probably seen it but it was my first :)

You may know the story but briefly, schoolkids witness a train crash. An alien held in captivity by the government and the escape.

IMO, not bad entertainment at all ad worthy of a view given the chance. 7.5/10

IMDB

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 10-24-2014 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Did you watch the other two? Mother is also a pretty gripping murder mystery.

I haven't seen the others you've recommended yet, but I will at some point. I saw Mother. It's great.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-24-2014 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
oooo, i might have to watch that. *checks netflix*

protip: it's on youtube

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-24-2014 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aliens
There just is no end to all the stereotype characters in this movie. I actually liked it less than Alien, even though it was slightly easier to watch (mostly due to more conventional pacing I guess). When watching this movie, you really have to place it in a mid-80's frame of mind, otherwise it gets kind of corny. Back then, it was a pretty revolutionary movie I guess.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blasphemy, it's only full of stereotypes because so many movies have tried to copy it.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 03:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek - Into Darkness

6.5/10

Cumberbatch saved that film

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 04:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Aliens
There just is no end to all the stereotype characters in this movie. I actually liked it less than Alien, even though it was slightly easier to watch (mostly due to more conventional pacing I guess). When watching this movie, you really have to place it in a mid-80's frame of mind, otherwise it gets kind of corny. Back then, it was a pretty revolutionary movie I guess.

Moron.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Aliens

lol, what?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Aliens

You fucking dipshit

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Aliens

this movie invented those stereotypes you bellend

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 02:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Waterloo - 5/10 - Christopher Plummer and Rod Steiger, cast of thousands (literally - the battle scenes are 100% extras, and they're fucking huge). the scrupulous avoidance of gore - a product of the time i guess - undermined the 'horror of war' theme that ran through it. when Uxbridge gets his leg shot off by a cannon ball we don't see anything, not even blood splatter. also, their depiction of cannon fire was nonsense; cannon balls don't explode - they get their effect from sheer kinetic energy, and they bounce along the ground, taking limbs and heads off on their way

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.