Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Reintroducing Quake to the Wild

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Reintroducing Quake to the Wild

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 07:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's an article about someone who set up a small 16 player 1v1 Quake3 competition set during a bigger LAN competition where other games (like CoD or LoL) were played. The competition wasn't announced properly so the 16 signups were done in a spur-of-the-moment thing, all by players who had never played Quake before (except for one player, who completely dominated the whole thing).

The whole thing (the article comes with gameplay videos) shows how completely inexperienced players pick up and play Quake Live, being blissfully unaware of techniques like strafejumping (or even jumping in general), items and the timing thereof, map knowledge and strategy. It's kind of cute to see actually.

Check the first five minutes of the first video to get the idea.

http://www.fpspulse.com/articles/reintr ... -the-wild/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very interesting article & videos Eraser.
Thank you and as you said "kind of cute to see actually".

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 11:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

article on kotatu
http://kotaku.com/a-quake-tournament-wh ... 1687605373

I like the wording; "Quake is a game of hard skill thresholds. Once a player has reached certain 'checkpoints' in development it becomes very hard, if not impossible, for a player of lower skill to beat this person."

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man, Q3 really is the greatest game of all time. I can't name my favourite anything, really, except my favourite game.

I haven't played it since 2003, but it just looks so fast and fluid. The console killed FPS games.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

I like the wording; "Quake is a game of hard skill thresholds. Once a player has reached certain 'checkpoints' in development it becomes very hard, if not impossible, for a player of lower skill to beat this person."

That's really accurate. I remember when I first started playing Q3, the first couple of years were pure deathmatch affairs, and I rarely, if ever lost. Then one day I played raw for the first time, DM17, and he utterly annihilated me, and I only remember this, because of the amount of times he posted the screenshot of me saying "I don't understand how can you be so good?"

I found him unbeatable at that time.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh, me and my friends played Quake 3 quite a bit against each other through LAN connections and felt awesome for being able to beat all of the single player mode on Nightmare difficulty. Then we got Internet connections and started playing online and we realized just how bad we were at this game :D

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

syp0s wrote:
I remember when I first started playing Q3, the first couple of years were pure deathmatch affairs, and I rarely, if ever lost. Then one day I played raw for the first time, DM17, and he utterly annihilated me, and I only remember this, because of the amount of times he posted the screenshot of me saying "I don't understand how can you be so good?"

I found him unbeatable at that time.

That's sounds just like what happened to duhard when he played me... What naive nub chumps... :olo: ...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 08:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 is the king of the arena FPS games for sure - nothing has ever come close to being as good as it. I have hope for Relflex, but I already dislike how the 'rail gun' only does 80 damage, like Quake Live

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
That's sounds just like what happened to duhard when he played me... What naive nub chumps... :olo: ...

I played you once, when you were under another Altnic. Your skill level was higher than anyone I'd ever seen who wasn't a professional gamer. I don't doubt you'd have beaten a few of them, too, actually.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, for all Geoff's bluster, he's a damn good Quaker. I made the mistake of playing him on Q3Tourney2 while I was an HPB (was on ISDN at the time; lol, dead tech). I'd never seen such a good LG before.

But that's enough stroking his ego. He'll get even more insufferable.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played him on 56k and got a sound beating - I did have to play on a US server, though :/

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also played without a monitor... :olo: ...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, but the game was projected onto your wife's ass, so...

redline
redline
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Yeah, for all Geoff's bluster, he's a damn good Quaker. I made the mistake of playing him on Q3Tourney2 while I was an HPB (was on ISDN at the time; lol, dead tech). I'd never seen such a good LG before.

I remember there being a lot of talk back in the day, but which regular posters were actually good?

I think Dark Metal and SoM were fun to play with and Amidyfreak was pretty solid, too. [xeno]Julios was good, who else? Menkent I think.

I think there used to be a "competitive gaming" section here, right?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Me and Julios played quake2 together nightly before we had broadband...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Azer and Jules were the best I have played on this board. Hell was the best player I've ever played against - even in my peak he'd put 30 kills on me in a 15 minute match

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In 2000 we had a tournament here and me and ^rec were in the finals and ^rec beat me for the win. Jules is way better than I am though, doomer was too the rest of you were meh. :)

I did however join a tournament here once upon a time. I was obviously the only skilled player in the tournament cause I dominated.

In fact, I destroyed people so bad they made the final match a 10 player free for all on Q3DM18 if I recall correctly. It was a space map meant for I think 6 players and was a complete clusterfuck. I got telefragged several times and wound up getting 2nd place and a big fat nothing even though I would have destroyed the winner in a 1 vs 1 and even though I destroyed every other match on the way there. I was pretty pissed honestly, it was a shit way to finish a tournament and pretty much made the end as random as it could be.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

None of ya'll could beat me in RA3...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keyword: could, not can ;)

redline
redline
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
xer0s wrote:

1v1. we'll stream it on steam :owned:

Let's play Toxikk guys :)

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

Wrong... Next...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like it's time for a little comp?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 03:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
In 2000 we had a tournament here and me and ^rec were in the finals and ^rec beat me for the win. Jules is way better than I am though, doomer was too the rest of you were meh. :)

I did however join a tournament here once upon a time. I was obviously the only skilled player in the tournament cause I dominated.

In fact, I destroyed people so bad they made the final match a 10 player free for all on Q3DM18 if I recall correctly. It was a space map meant for I think 6 players and was a complete clusterfuck. I got telefragged several times and wound up getting 2nd place and a big fat nothing even though I would have destroyed the winner in a 1 vs 1 and even though I destroyed every other match on the way there. I was pretty pissed honestly, it was a shit way to finish a tournament and pretty much made the end as random as it could be.

This is bullshit

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

syp0s wrote:
Man, Q3 really is the greatest game of all time. I can't name my favourite anything, really, except my favourite game.

I haven't played it since 2003, but it just looks so fast and fluid. The console killed FPS games.

gunbound?

[gook (musical note)]

PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watching those videos made me so nostalgic. The movement is so graceful and fluid, fuck I miss FPS games before consoles destroyed them.

PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:

I remember there being a lot of talk back in the day, but which regular posters were actually good?

I think Dark Metal and SoM were fun to play with and Amidyfreak was pretty solid, too. [xeno]Julios was good, who else? Menkent I think.

I think there used to be a "competitive gaming" section here, right?

Doomer was pretty good. I can't remember if he was better than Azer.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 07:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

Never happened.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 07:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure Dark Metal was pretty good. Pretty sure too.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
I also played without a monitor... :olo: ...

That has merit :up:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

Your insecurity is palpable.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 12:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:

gunbound?

[gook (musical note)]

Haha shit I completely forgot about that game. That whole era was my favourite time on the Internet. Gunbound was fucking brilliant.

PostPosted: 02-25-2015 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ns miss
heng
nice shot you fucking slant-eye

also, the sweet little boy whose father was a policeman :olo:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Wa ser!!! 3 kills? is possible???

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

syp0s wrote:

Your insecurity is palpable.

Yeah, and not at all projection on your part. :up:

PostPosted: 02-25-2015 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@@"~~~

can dream

can dream...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.