Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 07:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dirty Harry - 1/10

who is this clint eastwood faggot and why does he just copy bruce willis's character in "sin city"? derivative drivel.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 08:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I see what you did there...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 10:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haywire
some brutal fight scenes, overall a bit too convoluted

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-26-2014 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Waterloo - 5/10 - ... their depiction of cannon fire was nonsense; cannon balls don't explode - they get their effect from sheer kinetic energy, and they bounce along the ground, taking limbs and heads off on their way

They had exploding cannon balls aswell as the ones you are familliar with, FYI.

Extra FYI: They also had something they called "Shot"; lots of tiny cannon balls together so the cannon fired like a giant shotgun with the tiny cannon balls like giant versions of the pellets.

A historical expert on the matter said so on TV.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-26-2014 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lady Vengeance - 8/10

Not as good as Oldboy but still great.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-26-2014 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
seremtan wrote:
Waterloo - 5/10 - ... their depiction of cannon fire was nonsense; cannon balls don't explode - they get their effect from sheer kinetic energy, and they bounce along the ground, taking limbs and heads off on their way

They had exploding cannon balls as well as the ones you are familliar with, FYI.

Extra FYI: They also had something they called "Shot"; lots of tiny cannon balls together so the cannon fired like a giant shotgun with the tiny cannon balls like giant versions of the pellets.

A historical expert on the matter said so on TV.

yes i am aware of canister shot, which is what you're referring to, thanks professor. however 'they' used roundshot at Waterloo, which is intended to ricochet along the ground at high speeds (and didn't work very well at Waterloo since the ground was too muddy) - this doesn't explode

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-26-2014 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Requiem for a Dream - 7/10

Pext wrote:
Lady Vengeance - 8/10

Couldn't even make it past 5 minutes.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 10-26-2014 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-26-2014 10:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

A quiet Monday afternoon here and I thought I'd catch up on some recorded movies. It is 35c outside and luckily I am high and by the (cooling) sea with a strong NW breeze :p

Now I'd heard of this movie a while ago, never viewed before and thought I'd view.

OK, yes, a war movie, Germans, Jews and all you'd expect but really, I did not expect to be entertained for two hours. Yes, I know; people will say Brad Pitt :!: but trust me on this, given the chance you must view it!

Special (rare) mention here: Actor Christoph Waltz played Col. Hans Landa and very well IMO :up:

8.5/10

IMDB

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-29-2014 04:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Blasphemy, it's only full of stereotypes because so many movies have tried to copy it.

seremtan wrote:
this movie invented those stereotypes you bellend

losCHUNK wrote:
You fucking dipshit

xer0s wrote:
lol, what?

LawL wrote:
Moron.

Lol, bunch of fucking nerds getting their panties in a bunch.
Just because they were the first doesn't mean they aren't stereotypes today. I clearly state that one needs to realize this was a movie from the 80's and you have to watch it like a movie from the 80's, otherwise the immensely shallow characters really start working on your nerves.

PS: opinions people, opinions....

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-29-2014 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The issue being that no movie can come close to it since its release, the stereotypes were spot on, its an action / horror flick for entertainment not realism. That's not to mention the settings, models, sounds, the way they played on the scanner n shit... 'Theyre in the walls man'.

Even taken out of context from the 80s the film stacks up against the best of today.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-29-2014 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wasn't saying it was a bad movie. The whole design, atmosphere and premise is excellent. It's just a shame the acting is so eye wateringly bad.

You see, Alien (the 1st) had many of the same things, even though it was far less action oriented, yet had none of cheesy characters.

I realize the characters may have been regarded as not cheesy at all back in '86, but anno 2014 it requires some effort to not get distracted by that. In the same way we nowadays say [insert legendary retro game here] hasn't aged very well".

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-29-2014 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so your point is that a movie made in the 1980s looks like a movie made in the 1980s

outstanding. now all you need is a deck of cards

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-01-2014 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hunger Games (2012)

My first time watching and you've probably seen it.

I do enjoy sci-fi and this generally not too bad at all IMO. Just enough to keep you watching to the end and I did enjoy.
7.5/10

Quote:
Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to compete.

Source - IMDB

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 05:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
so your point is that a movie made in the 1980s looks like a movie made in the 1980s

I'm saying it hasn't aged very well in certain aspects. The original Alien, or indeed many other '80s movies suffer less from this.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alien is a '70s film.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Requiem for a Dream - 7/10

Pext wrote:
Lady Vengeance - 8/10

Why?

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
seremtan wrote:

I'm saying it hasn't aged very well in certain aspects. The original Alien, or indeed many other '80s movies suffer less from this.

:up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

Why?

It looked disjointed and incoherent. I was in the mood for a thriller, not a piddler.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Enemy - 8/10

Really good! Aweseome acting.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 07:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm behind a bit

but just finished

Colombiana unrated and Ninja Assassin

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-02-2014 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Alien is a '70s film.

no shit, Sherlock

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-03-2014 02:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I wasn't saying it was a bad movie. The whole design, atmosphere and premise is excellent. It's just a shame the acting is so eye wateringly bad.

You see, Alien (the 1st) had many of the same things, even though it was far less action oriented, yet had none of cheesy characters.

I realize the characters may have been regarded as not cheesy at all back in '86, but anno 2014 it requires some effort to not get distracted by that. In the same way we nowadays say [insert legendary retro game here] hasn't aged very well".

You're a cunt.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-03-2014 02:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-04-2014 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fury (2014)

Yes, that Brad Pitt tank movie.
It has been out a week or so here so I visited while getting car serviced today (lovely weather)

Nice by all my measures and I would say a good war film. Powerful silhouettes at the beginning and end but the tank silhouettes against the movie background throughout proved very powerful for me at least.

No spoilers offered :D so go see it and I trust yo will enjoy as I did.

IMDB

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-08-2014 02:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Aliens
There just is no end to all the stereotype characters in this movie. I actually liked it less than Alien, even though it was slightly easier to watch (mostly due to more conventional pacing I guess). When watching this movie, you really have to place it in a mid-80's frame of mind, otherwise it gets kind of corny. Back then, it was a pretty revolutionary movie I guess.

Brilliant.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-08-2014 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interstellar 7/10

I really wanted to like it more, but it was slow moving and it kinda lost me with its conclusion. not that it was a bad conclusion, just a bit incoherent.

On the other hand, it has some mind blowing real physics based moments to it.

PostPosted: 11-08-2014 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interstellar - 8.5/10

really fucking good but a bit bloated in the middle

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-09-2014 12:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big Hero 6 - 5.5/10
Fun idea; poorly executed.

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 11-09-2014 09:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gone Girl - 10/10

I heard this movie was all right, and it started out like I imagined it probably would have... but what in the fuck did I sit through? Not what I expected, not ruined by the trailer, not even ruined by Ben Affleck. Would recommend checking it out.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-09-2014 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pride (2014)
Quote:
U.K. gay activists work to help miners during their lengthy strike of the National Union of Mineworkers in the summer of 1984.

All I have to say was it was really good entertainment so go see it.

8.5/10

Source - IMDB

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 09:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interstellar 8/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-11-2014 10:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Interstellar 8/10

Yes, saw it today and enjoyed. 8/10

PostPosted: 11-12-2014 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The more I think about it though, the more I hated the part with Matt Damon. He narrated all of his actions like a James bond villain.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 01:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didnt like it :(, this may contain a > SPOILER < mind.

I thought the start was great, the build up then it throws you into the main story with the countdown. All good, but then the filler kicks in, a dude dies just because, a women cries just because and a dude goes insane - just because which all builds up to the big reveal which is a bootstrap paradox.

The visuals were great and the planets and space scenes were amaze but the story left me wanting a lot more, especially from a film with not a lot of action and devoting the last 45 mins to closing it off :(

Theres more, like the walking tetris and the redneck son thats forgotten about by the end of the movie, but I will give it credit for not blaming it on Jesus though, that wouldve been so easy to do :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.