Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        HD Ammo box reskins

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: HD Ammo box reskins

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-10-2015 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I've decided to go ahead and release all the ammobox stuff I've done over the years. I've compiled them all into neat packages for your convenience.
These all come with normal maps and specular maps. For these to work, you need to use the latest ioquake3 build which you can get from here: http://ioquake3.org/get-it/test-builds/
These skins look best when using ioquake3's OpenGL2 renderer, with the following cvars: r_cubemapping 0; r_deluxemapping 1; r_deluxespecular 0.3

First are reskins of the original ammo boxes. My goal was to create high quality versions of the originals, to maintain a faithful look to the original
These are made from scratch by me in photoshop. Only the emblem on the sides is reused.

Download (UPDATED 24/05/18)

Next is a redesign of the original ammo boxes, for those that want a bit of a refresh. I made these myself in Photoshop.

Download (UPDATED 26/05/18)

Next are the original ammoboxes from Quake 4. These are not edited in any way.
They are exactly as they appear in Quake 4.

Download

Next are the reskins of the Quake 4 ammoboxes that I made. I made these myself in Photoshop as the original skins you see above, are very low quality.

Download (UPDATED 24/05/18)

And finally, I reskinned the Quake 4 ammo box model to be more faithful to the original Quake 3 ammo boxes, for those of you who would like an update while maintaining the original look.

Download

There we go. A nice consolidated list of the mods i've made over the years. Im done now :P

Last edited by AndehX on 06-21-2018 05:57 AM, edited 20 times in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-10-2015 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, that is really cool! i just installed them and they look great. i like how you didn't change the design but just improved the resolution. i agree about the plasma color thing. the only problem is i am so used to purple by now that it looks weird as blue. i keep thinking i'm about to pick up BFG ammo.

you should do all the entities in HD :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 04-10-2015 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah... just installed them as well... they give my AEblocks map that extra freshness in look. Very nifty.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-10-2015 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've done all sorts of stuff, just never released anything. Alot of the stuff I have is converted from Quake 4 as it looks alot better, like the health for instance.
I have redone some of the 2D elements, like weapon icons and HUD numbers, so I might release those.
I also did an ammo box skin in the style of the Quake 4 ammo boxes.
Alot of it is scattered around my hard drive so i'll have to repack it all before I release any of it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-10-2015 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those are the Quake 4 style ammo boxes I made. Although the skin is 100% made by me, the model itself is from Quake 4, so I probably won't be allowed to post them here.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 12:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fun fact: in the q3test days, the plasmagun itself was purple as well and fired purple blasts. They changed it for some reason, but not in time for the instruction booklet to get an update as well, so the PG in the instruction booklet is still purple.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 12:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I really like the look of those HD skins.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maybe they had the intention of making the plasma ammo blue too, but never got round to it in time...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 03:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

edit: ignore :P

Last edited by AndehX on 05-11-2015 08:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also did some remastering of the weapons.

Original Railgun:

New Railgun

Last edited by AndehX on 04-13-2015 04:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks like fractured glass

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 04:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Working on adding normal maps to my skins:

This effect also looks outstanding on other things like Armor:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, love the remastered railgun! The YA is also very amazing.

But the ammo boxes looking kinda wierd. Reminds me of gold foil covered satellites: Mars_Reconnaissance_Orbiter_fully_assembled.jpg
The edges standing straight without any damage, while the surface seems to be very rough. Maybe invert the nomal map?

Did you made by chance a grappling hook skin yet? I'm searching for such a skin and found only the QL one. :(

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-04-2015 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as far as im aware, Quake Live is the only version of Quake 3 that has a proper grappling hook skin.
I have all the assets from Quake Arena Arcade on xbox live, and there is no Grappling Hook skin in that...

As for the ammobox skins, yeah I agree they do look a bit weird being all lumpy and stuff. I think my Quake 4 ammobox reskin looks alot better:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Update: released my Quake 4 reskins

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-08-2015 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your ammoboxes are great .. the YA looks very attractive in the pic, I was wondering if when you release the armor for YA and RA skins, if you were going to do one for the green armor as well to go along with them..since a lot of the cpma maps have the GA in them

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-08-2015 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont play cpma personally, but I could do a GA easy enough

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-08-2015 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that would be great =) I use Quake 3 Edawn(1.32e) instead of IOQ3, and it has the GA in it so you can play those maps in vanilla Q3 rather than having to use CPMA/OSP for the GA to show up in those maps.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-11-2015 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I've updated the original post again. I've decided to release all the ammobox related stuff ive done over the years.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-21-2018 06:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it's been a couple of years, but I eventually came back to Quake 3 and decided to touch up these old skins... let me know what you think

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-23-2018 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Link in original post updated for the Quake 4 ammobox reskin. I think i'm pretty happy with this now, so i'm gonna call it finished. I'll update the others in the coming days.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-01-2018 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 4 ammo boxes with a touch of Quake 3 :P Download in first post.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.