Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We have spoiler tags. Use them.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We have quote tags. Use them.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 03:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would be quoting spoilers which I had not read, so no.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How about now ?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Continuing SPOILERS without the tags...

losCHUNK wrote:
I didnt like it :(, this may contain a > SPOILER < mind.

I thought the start was great, the build up then it throws you into the main story with the countdown. All good, but then the filler kicks in, a dude dies just because, a women cries just because and a dude goes insane - just because which all builds up to the big reveal which is a bootstrap paradox.

I disagree. Everything was warranted. A dude dies because he was caught in a wave, trying to insure the woman makes it in the ship. The woman cries because she fucked up and cost them decades of time, plus got the dude killed. And the dude goes insane because he's been alone on a distant planet for a very long time...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
The more I think about it though, the more I hated the part with Matt Damon. He narrated all of his actions like a James bond villain.

Well, considering the guy had been alone for so long, he had plenty of time to think about all this, and once he had someone to talk to, he just let it all out. Understandable...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

losCHUNK wrote:

I thought the start was great, the build up then it throws you into the main story with the countdown. All good, but then the filler kicks in, a dude dies just because, a women cries just because and a dude goes insane - just because which all builds up to the big reveal which is a bootstrap paradox.

I disagree. Everything was warranted. A dude dies because he was caught in a wave, trying to insure the woman makes it in the ship. The woman cries because she fucked up and cost them decades of time, plus got the dude killed. And the dude goes insane because he's been alone on a distant planet for a very long time...

you know this forum has a button for spoilers right? use it

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TAG SPOLIERZ

xer0s wrote:

losCHUNK wrote:

He could've made it though if he didn't fuck about and the women has her typical feminine weakling moment, and the other dude going insane due to solitary, despite another dude spending 26 years on the ship ?. If were throwing Aliens under the bus for being stereotypical then this film needs its back doors blasted off. :shrug:

The entire middle of that film was filler, from the point where they landed on the ocean planet til the other bloke goes skitzoid and fucks shit up.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not really. The rest of the film wouldn't work without the middle...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, cos it could be squashed into an episode. The only thing it was used for was to make the spaceship run out of fuel. All the important stuff happened in the 1st 30 mins and the final 30 mins.

I'll put that one into a spolier cos it scans easily :)

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 11-14-2014 08:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

interstellar... 9/10

i think some extra information is needed though... unless I missed the part where they say what year it is at the start? because dodge ram trucks don't last as long as the movie portrays... how are there drones flying around for 10 years and rubics cubed robots, but the rest of technology hasn't really advanced much? I kind of think the whole R2/Mr. Data robots is a cop-out BUT it's better than the jesus cop-out.

also the start wars ending :) lol i mean cmon.

I do like this movie more than Contact, mostly because there is no religious shit. Not that that takes away from Contact, which has been one of my regular favorites since it came out. Mconnahay or whatever seems to be good with these movies :olo:

The movie is not very hard to grasp, and they leave some fill-in-the-blanks, but for a trekkie that should be no big deal. There isn't a time loop, it's just regular earth time vs extremely slowed down time.

A funny thing is that last week I watched a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push, and it's about a guy traveling through space and has to be awake in a tiny ship, alone, for 3 years with sparse communication with earth. in the movie he tries to stay sane.... I though that was a pretty big deal trying to wrap my head around 3 years of near isolation in space, until homeboy is in orbit for 27 years alone... wow

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In your spoiler andyman you mentioned you watched a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push.
I checked the IMDB and see the trailer and ask how would you rate it? Worth seeing?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 02:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
interstellar... 9/10

i think some extra information is needed though... unless I missed the part where they say what year it is at the start? because dodge ram trucks don't last as long as the movie portrays... how are there drones flying around for 10 years and rubics cubed robots, but the rest of technology hasn't really advanced much? I kind of think the whole R2/Mr. Data robots is a cop-out BUT it's better than the jesus cop-out.

I do like this movie more than Contact, mostly because there is no religious shit. Not that that takes away from Contact, which has been one of my regular favorites since it came out. Mconnahay or whatever seems to be good with these movies :olo:

The movie is not very hard to grasp, and they leave some fill-in-the-blanks, but for a trekkie that should be no big deal. There isn't a time loop, it's just regular earth time vs extremely slowed down time.

A funny thing is that last week I watched a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push, and it's about a guy traveling through space and has to be awake in a tiny ship, alone, for 3 years with sparse communication with earth. in the movie he tries to stay sane.... I though that was a pretty big deal trying to wrap my head around 3 years of near isolation in space, until homeboy is in orbit for 27 years alone... wow

You didn't miss a year or time period. And that's one thing I immediately noticed and appreciated. Even though it's obvious this story takes place in the future, Nolan chose not to insert a date or "in the not too distant future." And for a film about our world dying due to global warming, I think it's great he left it up to the viewer to decide how long we have before this could actually happen...

PostPosted: 11-17-2014 03:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
andyman wrote:
interstellar... 9/10

You didn't miss a year or time period. And that's one thing I immediately noticed and appreciated. Even though it's obvious this story takes place in the future, Nolan chose not to insert a date or "in the not too distant future." And for a film about our world dying due to global warming, I think it's great he left it up to the viewer to decide how long we have before this could actually happen...

The only thing that didn't age was the POS dodge truck, and that's my biggest gripe with the movie :) My guess is it's present day, but the last 50 or so years are the big change. I need to watch it again to see how long ago it was that the teacher said they switched textbook versions to change the moon landing. I think that would give a good idea of when the course of the future changed to make it the present day that it is. I'd really like to know that.... what the major event in human history made the present day what it is.

PostPosted: 11-17-2014 07:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Homesman
8/10, big twist in the middle, not over the top

The Missing
7/10, had it's moments but that's really all i can think of after a week.

The Salvation
8/10 cool movie

Open Range
9/10 GOOD MOVIE, great gunfights, great dialogue

yes i love westerns

The Signal
8/10, keeps you guessing, ending is pretty cool and worth the wait. pretty decent movie

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 10:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Open Range is probably the best Western of the last decade...:up:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-18-2014 01:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where Eagles Dare 1968 BR

just had to rewatch

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-19-2014 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy - 7/10

Well executed cookie cutter with likable characters.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-19-2014 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Open Range
9/10 GOOD MOVIE, great gunfights, great dialogue

xer0s wrote:
Open Range is probably the best Western of the last decade...:up:

Will watch :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-19-2014 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:arrow: andyman you mentioned the movie Astronaut: The Last Push.
I viewed the trailer on the IMDB and ask how would you rate it? Is it worth seeing?

PostPosted: 11-19-2014 05:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
:arrow: andyman you mentioned the movie Astronaut: The Last Push.
I viewed the trailer on the IMDB and ask how would you rate it? Is it worth seeing?

I sat through it here at home... it wasn't that great but the concept seemed interesting. Didn't really flow like I thought it would but the ending was pretty good, and surprising.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 01:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy - 7/10
What Pext said. The plot was all over the place - but who cares eh, it has a funny talking cyber raccoon with a giant gun. I quite enjoyed the alien who took everything literally too, that was quite amusing.

Virunga 8/10
Powerful documentary about park rangers trying to save wildlife from poachers in the middle of the Congo during a rebellion by a group called M23, who appear to be complete and utter uneducated shitheads... Watching this makes you upset and angry, but also fills you with hope. Good stuff - just don't expect to be able to sleep immediately after watching :/

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Virunga 8/10
Powerful documentary about park rangers trying to save wildlife from poachers in the middle of the Congo during a rebellion by a group called M23, who appear to be complete and utter uneducated shitheads... Watching this makes you upset and angry, but also fills you with hope. Good stuff - just don't expect to be able to sleep immediately after watching :/

It's a Netflix exclusive. Agreed with Ryoki, great documentary, wonderfully filmed, and illustrates how foreign corporate interests have stirred up the shit in a volatile country in the name of profit. Destroy wildlife preserves: check. Break international law: check. Corruption: check. Finance rebel groups: check. Attempted assassinations: check.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 7/10

Basically a good diplomacy thriller with a standard setup sidetracked by the obligatory war action sequence; This one was fun, though: Apes on horsers firing machineguns.

I think it would have made for a better movie if the apes actually commited a my-lay massacre instead of just locking the humans up. But that's not the market they were aiming at, I suppose.

PostPosted: 11-20-2014 04:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 7/10

Basically a good diplomacy thriller with a standard setup sidetracked by the obligatory war action sequence; This one was fun, though: Apes on horsers firing machineguns.

I think it would have made for a better movie if the apes actually commited a my-lay massacre instead of just locking the humans up. But that's not the market they were aiming at, I suppose.

koba acting like a clown... rofl

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10

liked the characters very much, hope they don't mess up part 2

loved Zoe, just love her, i heard they were shooting Avatar 2n3 while back now 4 simultaneously 2016-17-18

can't wait

PostPosted: 11-23-2014 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Predestination

6/10, seemed slow, but if you like massive time paradoxes this movie is for you.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:

The Signal
8/10, keeps you guessing, ending is pretty cool and worth the wait. pretty decent movie

Also liked this, I'd give it more of a 7/10 if I had to place a number on it. Pretty well done but some stupid parts that left you a bit bewildered.

andyman wrote:
Predestination

6/10, seemed slow, but if you like massive time paradoxes this movie is for you.

I thought it was alright too. The 1st 45 mins or so was painfully slow and you can put together a lot of the story in that part of the film, I almost considered binning it. I'm glad I stuck with it though, as even though it was slow it was all warranted and interesting enough to stick with.

Automata was decent to watch n all, sci fi flick for those that are interested. Basically iRobot with a budget constraint and less action, not fantastic but decent enough.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 12:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was I, Robot except not shit.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 03:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Interstellar.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightcrawler. 8/10. Original enough premise, good performance from lead character, nice and creepy. It put on display our morbid appetite for media coverage, no matter the implications.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Starred Up 9/10

You all need to see it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/starred ... arred%20up

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-28-2014 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interracialstellar

eh its ok. I liked the execution of the used future. It didn't need a bad guy persona, the bleak world was drama enough. Also ran a bit too long at times.

Also, what's with the people making infographics and flowcharts about the timelines from this movie? Surely they really didn't think it was that complicated did they?

PostPosted: 11-28-2014 05:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fury

10/10
david ayer can do no wrong. holy fuck that was a good movie

PostPosted: 12-09-2014 06:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightcrawler

Gonna have to go 10/10 on this one, mostly because listening to my police scanner, recording events, and posting them are a hobby of mine. Plus it's a fucking good movie!!!!!!!!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.