Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Help with Mapping: CTF, AAS and Music Problems

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Help with Mapping: CTF, AAS and Music Problems

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-13-2015 01:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello everybody, again! I have been doing some "things" with GTKRadiant and came up with a level codenamed gusq3ctf1 but called "Floating Cramping". I end up with the following PK3, but I have three problems which I'll show later.
MAIN LINK:
Mega - https://mega.co.nz/#!MUYAjCJD!YSU-hGOX5 ... dh3eoQeS_Q
Well, the problems are:
1 - I seemingly can't define its gametype to CTF. The final build's test I didn't loaded the map, but when I put one info.player_deathmatch entity, it ran, but the flags disappear. How can I alter one map's gamemode in GTKRadiant?
2 - Compiling AAS took much time and resulted with message "The connection timed out, assuming the BSP process failed. Make sure you are using an networked version of Q3Map? Otherwise you need to disable BSP Monitoring in prefs." What is Q3Map? How can I pass this problem? I didn't made anything wrong!
3 - I put my music called "Quaking the Earth" in the Sounds folder, but I don't know how to put it into the map. There could have been a button labeled "Level Options" where you can simply select the music, name, etc that is global about a map. How to put music in the maps? Do you approve my "Level Options" idea?
Oh, and just to complement. I just made an new map (wish to see it working), based in three-point clipping, and using the grenade's bouncing properties to make use of the most irregular angles:
https://mega.co.nz/#!MM4XDQjZ!7RqJ9EkZA ... GLoTuJtNLs
Codename: gusq3dm1
Name: Inside the Giant Diagonal Ramp

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-13-2015 09:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't alter the game mode in GtkRadiant. Just stick two flags and CTF blue/red spawnpoints in there (not info_player_deathmatch or info_player_start but the team/CTF ones). In Quake3, when manually loading the map, enter this in the console:

\g_gametype 4
\map gusq3ctf1

or use devmap instead of map if you want cheats (such as "noclip" to be enabled)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-13-2015 09:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As for the music, select any non-entity brush in your map and hit the N key on your keyboard to open the entity inspector.

It should show a key/value pair saying "class" and "worldspawn'. Enter a new entry with the name "music" and as value the path to your music file, relative to baseq3. Usually that would be "music/whatever.wav"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-14-2015 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CTF maps require the following entities:

1. A spectator start point! You always start as spectotor in team games:
info_player_intermission

2. The flags:
team_ctf_blueflag
team_ctf_redflag

3. Initial team spawn points - when the match starts: (distribute in flagroom)
team_ctf_blueplayer
team_ctf_redplayer

4. Team respawn points: (distribute in each base)
team_ctf_bluespawn
team_ctf_redspawn

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-14-2015 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The screenshot of me building the map is attached down there.
:alert:
Thanks so much! The problem now is: I can't compile AAS! Someone know why? Look the original post for more details in it...
q3ctf2 is now having the same problem!

Kool Gustavo

Attachments:
File comment: Me working on Radiant. Notice something is wrong with the camera view? Please tell why don't it show the full texture! Only wireframes here are along with the tris' hypotenuses showing as lines in between. I want back my full-side rendering...
workingOnRadiant.png
workingOnRadiant.png [ 117.23 KB | Viewed 2183 times ]

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 05-14-2015 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you happen to have a Intel video card?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-15-2015 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't you accidentaly changed render to wireframe? I think this is possible than wrong video card settings as it would flicker between wireframe and full texture while moving camera instead.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-15-2015 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll see. What is "render mode" and how to change it? It really makes me lose the size perspective even knowing a :q3: player has 56 height units (and a :q1: player have 80, just like the standard UT player).
But the big boy problem is: I can't compile the AAS, just look the original post and try to help me compiling it. If I can't do anything Ill send a .map copy of my map, you recompile with AAS and bring me the PK3 (or become my publisher :) ).
Oh and just to update I queued my latest release, gusq3ctf2, or "Mortus Tents", I'll attach soon here its .map file, I wish to know how to do skyboxes, and also I wish you to compile .aas and review my maps.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-16-2015 05:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To compiling BSP and AAS - you say it flush you connection timeout message? Using BSP monitoring switches q3map2 and bspc to network mode and hopes external device will monitor it. Just disable that feature and it should be okay...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-17-2015 02:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, but it was already in "Skinned and boxed" so it wans't that, probably. And yes I have a Intel graphics card.
Also the thing don't load, instead Q3 crashes or it just gets back to main menu so I don't know if the AAS work, neither take a levelshot. But I read the "junk" log file in the GtkRadiant-Settings folder in my user folder. And it reveals making AAS happily have a start and a end, and I believe it did not happened a bsp2aas "compiling" exception this time.
Update: it says "Fatal: AAS not initialized!" whenever I try to add a bot! So yeah, :alert: FATAL PROBLEM, HELP ME PLZ!!! :alert:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-18-2015 06:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try out this solution for buggy drivers (Radiant 1.6.x, I am running 1.6.4)

To the compilers - did you try to compile map with batch file instead of choosing compile options? I think it is better to manage custom compile than hope Radiant will make it for you... I never compiled AAS with option in Radiant, I always sticked command prompt to do the trick...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-18-2015 04:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yap, it used batch file. And what are these custom compile?
As for the rendering, it kept wireframe but I can live with it... I think...
Released some system info.
- OS . . . . : Windows 8.1 Pro trial test (I will be forever damned by these "Activate Windows" message appearing soetimes...)
- Processor: Intel Pentium CPU
- Type . . . : x64 base processor, 64-bit system

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-22-2015 02:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Idea: someone download my map, compile AAS, upload it and give me the link. :D

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 01:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Upload your source map file (the one with MAP extension). I'll try to find some leaks in the map...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 06:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, here it goes!
Wait, are you sure? Not even "ME, or ME" do it!

Either way, if you want to risk, then there is ready, waiting for your shootin' tex with it. No hull leaks, nor problems with anything else AAS and some minor misses in the idea of scale (e.g in the jump pad to megahealth). I know it's ****ty, but is pretty expectable from someone's first map, isn't it?
I yet dream these big, major, fast-paced and innovative maps, and since they are in my head (and I could imagine myself building one), I'm almost sure I know how to do it, but it is hard to, requires skills and lots of crashes and problems (either with BSP, vis, lightning and/or, mainly, AAS) in the way.
gusq3ctf2 : https://mega.co.nz/#!8UgmVZgA!mH6Tjr-b4 ... xYRaCfPPIo

One of my maps with errors AAS.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here is your AAS :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l385yiy1qpqh6 ... 2.aas?dl=0
And BSP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3ij1q7wpv6vv ... 2.bsp?dl=0

:)

Your map is really small and the Ceiling is too low!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Released some system info.
- OS . . . . : Windows 8.1 Pro trial test (I will be forever damned by these "Activate Windows" message appearing soetimes...)
- Processor: Intel Pentium CPU
- Type . . . : x64 base processor, 64-bit system

- Pentium what? 200MHz ?
- RAM ?
- Name of the GFX-Chip?

If you live in Germany i can give you a Radeon 54xx GFX-Card for free next Week.. (just want the Money for Porto)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 08:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is your very first map? I think it is good for testing what Radiant functions do (e.g. the Hollow button) but it is pretty useless for real mapping. Maps like this are lowrated on lvlworld for its bad constuction. I think making the map brush by brush would be better. Hollow produces overlapping brushes which causes lots of troubles while compiling and can cause leaks accidentaly. Sometimes compiler make one or more brushes nonsolid when duplicated at the same place, this is good to avoid...

I know it is not probalby final release, but if you really like ti make that map, I would suggest you to make it again from scratch with the advise I gave you - brush by brush, do not overlap it and seal it completely from void (the constant gray all over) placing heals over gaps opening outside. I see you placed a sky texture of stars in pk3 (which I do not know it should move or it is supposed to be skybox). Anyway read this manual to learn how to make and use shaders which is required for custom sky texture. Now I can't find any sky shader tutorial, but if you look at default sky shaders by id Software (in text editor, though), you can copy the general directives of the sky as it is not so different, only parameters of the sun may vary (read the sun passage of the shader manual to use it properly).

The sky texture is in skies2 folder, which is reserved by Team Arena, did you copied it from there? If the answer is yes, I'd suggest not using it as it may be rated as copyright violation, just a friendly warning...

To be honest, most mappers draw their map on paper first, then start making rough layout in Radiant (just plain layout). Then when the layout is complete they stick to place some item goodies in the map (Pat Howard wrote great guides on item placement here on LEM), continue to add some lights to avoid players go blind, compile the map (with or without bot support), share it to get feedback for further continuing.

You can go experimenting, I do, but only for private purposes. I first try out new ideas for myself before releasing it for community. I think you are new to Radiant, sadly most of tutorials describe the useless functions that makes bad construction and requires lots of tweaking. Also, I know id Software did not bother about outside faces looking in the void as they will not be drawn in game and they leaved it in sample maps untacked, but it is always good to make all faces invisible for players caulked (painted with common/caulk shader - invisible, but solid and vis-blocking texture, it is not drawn by engine, just like the outside faces) I need to get good digital video processor to make some video tutorials for Radiant with making simple maps. Anyway Youtube provides lots of mapping tutorials in Radiant for Quake 3, try searching that to learn how to use controls (moving camera with free-look, making brushes, painting texture on one face of brush - this is the trick mappers use to make caulked completely hidden faces from player's look - making whole brush caulked and then paint the textures they want on visible faces).

Many mappers release source map along with their playable BSP map. To learn what I mean look at these maps, not the sample maps provided by Radiant...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, that's not my first map, it's my first release. Past maps were even crappier - take a look at gusq3ctf1 for example. And I know how to make the brushes and all. Now I'm occupied after recently installed UT and its UnrealEd 2 is easy, i played since I had five years, ohh good old days :)
Anyway, "the hell good boy" isn't brave to rebuild himself all my LITTLE errors? No brush overlap, I only wish AAS! And well, fix some scaling problems, why not? ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-27-2015 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Here is your AAS :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l385yiy1qpqh6 ... 2.aas?dl=0
And BSP:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3ij1q7wpv6vv ... 2.bsp?dl=0

:)

Your map is really small and the Ceiling is too low!

Thanks, I really have scaling problems, I'm more acostumated to UEd's scaling since I started mapping for UT with 14 years.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-19-2015 03:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wait, actually the problem it is not with the AAS, only it is not loaded ("initialized") during map loading.
Sometimes I feel like Radiant sucks, but I see it has CSG options as well - add, subtract, intersect, deintersect - which makes Unreal Editor mapping so easy... and maybe cool. :id: rivals have probably to teach a lesson about mapping CSG as :q3: seems to have a slightly different Binary Space Partitioning methodology: using additive brushes in subtractive spaces made of vis instead of additive universe and "blocking structure" and subtractive "rooms".
Also skies2 wasn't from Team Arena neither I knew TA had that folder, only I wish to make a "custom" folder. And, remembering what Batch is, actually I compile it using the Radiant's Compile bar (in Unreal Ed you only build: geometry/BSP, lightning and AI, only it has unidimensional pathnoding instead of all a rigid, strict and area-based AI structure consisting of walkable ground, jumppads and all the freaking details that make Radiant one nightmare for everyone). How to compile AI AAS in Radiant?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-19-2015 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im using Q3MAP2BUILD for compiling. If youre from Germany maybe this Link is very helpful!
https://victorkarp.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... uild-menu/
I neverer ever played any Unreal so i cant give any comment on that.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-12-2015 10:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where I get latest BSPC to compile AAS without errors, and how to put music in my maps?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-12-2015 11:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Gustavo: AAS compile errors mean you have some errors in your BSP which prevents compiling bots referrence AAS map. Check for leaks (you can see void - HOM effect - and shoot in void - projectiles of rocket and grenade disappear), check for bevel errors (Invalid bevel), etc. If you don't know, post here your .MAP file (zipped), so we can look at it. To music in your map: Select a worldspawn brush, press N key and type in key/value pair "music"/"<path/to/music>.wav" here (without quotes, of course). WAV must be 22050 Hz sample rate stereo 16bit PCM format, otherwise it won't work...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-13-2015 04:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want the easy way ->
Try the "Q3MAP2BUILD" Tool http://www.moddb.com/games/world-of-pad ... 025-by-dlb
It does a very good Job on compiling with "options"

If you have ICQ just add me @ UIN 216936277

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-14-2015 12:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now I saw the log in the BSPC (it came with GTKRadiant and I didn't saw lol) and it says the map is leaked, but Q3Map2 don't!
Link to MAP of MyTest2 - my newest map

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw the BSPC log:
Code:
Opened log bspc.log
BSPC version 2.1h, Aug 24 2013 23:20:03
threads = 2
optimize = true
bsp2aas: C:\Quake III Arena\Quake3\baseq3\maps\mytest2.bsp to C:\Quake III Arena\Quake3\baseq3\maps\mytest2.aas
-- Q3_LoadMapFromBSP --
Loading map from C:\Quake III Arena\Quake3\baseq3\maps\mytest2.bsp...
   193 triangles
     0 patch tris
creating planar surface planes...
searching visible brush sides...
     0 brush sides
    a
   492 total sides
Win32 multi-threading
     2 threads max
depth first bsp building
     0 splits
BSP tree created in     0 seconds
------- Prune Nodes --------
   14 pruned nodes
---- Node Portalization ----
     0 nodes portalized
     0 tiny portals

0 KB of portal memory

0 KB of winding memory

------ FloodEntities -------
WARNING: no entities inside
ERROR: **** leaked ****

Closed log bspc.log

I can't find any leak !! Please help!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Note entities inside of structural brushes (was it OK for detail brushes? forgot) tend to make the map leak, IIRC. Maybe that helps.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I downloaded your map, compiled with Q3MAP2BUILD and had no problems.
Looking at the mapfile i just saw that you have placed a "BOT-ROAM" 1-Unit into the floor and that nearly every brush is sticking into another. Never ever use that "make hollow" Button!!!!!!!
What version of GTKRadiant do you have?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am using 1.6.4.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 07:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks ppl! The only problem now is that wireframe view. View is in "Skinned and Boxed", yes I have Intel HD Graphics on Windows 10, I still used the option of Intel cards on preferences, and still I view everything in wireframe no matter what I do! I am about to contact GtkRadiant author about this, and I am in a real need for help...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe buy a cheap used Notebook/PC for around 50-100$ with a ATI Chip and run WinXP or 7 and i think your problems are gone. The good thing on this is that you can use it for "editing-only" and wont run into "system-chaos" by tons of data- crap.
For that IntelHD: i think youre using a cheap Notebook or am i wrong?
Never had Intel GFX or Windows10 so im out for that. :(

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 10:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"I need my own thread..."
My notebook is not cheap, but it dates some years that I own it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
My notebook is not cheap, but it dates some years that I own it.

And a 500$ Notebook is just crap compared to a PC 500$.
Yaay, i also payd alot for a 386SX-25 in 1990 :cry:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 11:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bots don't seem to use the upper corridor, which is accessible by the jump pads.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.