Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        E3 2015 videos and other news

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: E3 2015 videos and other news

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom reveal trailer (1:27)

Doom gameplay (7:54)

Doom SnapMap demo (1:47)

Fallout 4 gameplay (9:22)

Fallout 4 crafting (2:57)

Dishonored 2 trailer (3:13)

Hearthsto.... I mean, The Elder Scrolls: Legends trailer (1:23)

Got any more? Add them in this thread

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, when you look at the DooM footage, and then you look at the other games, it almost seems like the people who made the other games are aware that they aren't living in 1990 anymore.

It also seems like they actually give a shit about creating engaging content.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must say that in id Software's case, they're damned if they do, they're damned if they don't.

If id Software creates a Doom game with all sorts of RPG elements and whatever kind of stuff you find in a "modern" shooter, then people go all like "but this isn't Doom". If they create a game that's true to Doom's roots, they go "that looks like a 1990's game".

In all honesty, I'd rather have id Software make a 1990's game because, as it happens, their 90's games are among the best games made, ever. They still are fun and engaging to play. If id Software can recapture that feeling with a game built on modern tech, then that's something I'd be very interested in playing.

Having said that, the Doom gameplay released so far doesn't convince me they will be able to capture that feeling at all.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed, 90s style gameplay does not mean rehash the same formula.
Look at Wolf New Order, or Bulletstorm. Mindless fastpaced shooters with a classic feel, but on modern tech. Works :up:

pretty sure id is damned anyway, they seem to be totally out of touch with what made their own games fun.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually thought the snapmap features looked pretty awesome and the gameplay itself looked pretty tight.

I figure they'll nail the weapon balance and create an incredible arena shooter with the ability to have user created content. I'm even thinking of finally buying a PC to run it since it looks so nice.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm well up for a classic 90's FPS, but I just know id can't deliver it. It's like they're ashamed of their own rep. They've always made above-average game engines, and incredibly simplistic shooters, and they don't seem able to accept that.

They're kind of like Microsoft, really. No clue about their audience, no finger on the pulse, held up purely by previous success.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, you know what, this is probably the best thread to ask.

Is there a consensus on the best console right now? Last one I owned was a Nintendo 64, but I'm seriously considering getting either a PS4 or a One. Is there anything that would make me choose one or the other?

I would look at websites, but they're a bit confusing, and I trust the opinion of the people in here more.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The consensus around here seem to favor the PS4. Personally I dislike the controller layout and I'm not a huge fan of the playstation exclusives so I opted for an xbox one. I find there isn't a huge selection of games but there's some decent games out there now. Graphics are good but it's not a huge leap from the xbox 360.

Ultimately both consoles seem pretty even to me. Although the xbox one has a few features I really love like the snap feature where you can view youtube videos while you're playing the game on the same screen. Also controlling the xbox from my phone is really nice, not sure if the PS4 does that but it's super useful when I'm playing poker in another room and controlling the music on the xbox from my phone.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PlayStation 4 is probably still a bit ahead here.

Microsoft seriously fumbled with Xbox One before and around launch. It gave Sony a head start. Their hardware is, at this time, more competent (you'll see many games running at full 1080p on PS4 while it scales down to lower resolutions on XB1).
While I don't really know a lot of details on what both platforms have to offer, I do feel that Sony has a lot better understanding of their audience that Microsoft has right now.

For instance, Sony announced right off the bat that they'd have a very complete indie developer support package and that their platform is very open and accessible for indie developers. MS actually came out before the launch of XB1 stating that they would only allow publishers to release games on XB1, essentially killing off any potential for indie developers to release their stuff on XB1. MS eventually backtracked on those statements, but it is telling.

Someone else will probably be better in the know when it comes to all the little details (I don't have either console), but to me, as somewhat of an outsider, it looks like the PS4 is the far better choice at this point. There's also quite a sales gap between the two consoles, in favor of the PS4.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PS4 is a great little console - highly recommended

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's not entirely fair to bring up the X1 reveal and all that was said there. The dude spearheading that got fired and pretty much all of his decisions were turned around. It's a decent console, does what it needs to. The dashboard is clunky though, much like the Win8 start menu.

also lol Kracus, gfx 'not a huge leap from 360'. It's kinda like when we all went from VHS to DVD. "Eh looks alright I guess", till that one day you popped in a tape and thought "Jesus Christ this is what I've been watching the past years?"

I thought Shadow of Mordor looked like nothing special, then compared it to the 360 version. Whoa.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK thanks a lot, it looks like the PS4 is the one, which I was leaning towards anyway, I guess. They're going for a couple of hundred quid on Gumtree, I'll get one

Last edited by syp0s on 06-15-2015 04:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In the end it doesn't really matter much, they both have their pros and cons, and aside from some exclusives the same games and content.
It's not like we're talking SNES vs Sega here.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I think it's not entirely fair to bring up the X1 reveal and all that was said there. The dude spearheading that got fired and pretty much all of his decisions were turned around. It's a decent console, does what it needs to. The dashboard is clunky though, much like the Win8 start menu.

also lol Kracus, gfx 'not a huge leap from 360'. It's kinda like when we all went from VHS to DVD. "Eh looks alright I guess", till that one day you popped in a tape and thought "Jesus Christ this is what I've been watching the past years?"

I thought Shadow of Mordor looked like nothing special, then compared it to the 360 version. Whoa.

lol true but I went from playing GTAV on the 360 and jumped into the xbox one, and GTAV even on xbox 360 looks pretty stunning, hence why I didn't find the graphical upgrade that impressive.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, this being said? How is console gaming these days? Is it worth spending the extra for a PC, and how much would I feasibly need to spend on a PC in order to get something that can run everything released up to this point?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just remembered the reason why I've never liked consoles is because I don't like gamepads.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If gamepads are your main issue then... well... nothing's changed there.
Having said that though, considering your last console experience is the N64, then a lot did change actually. The ergonomics and durability of gamepads has increased greatly and while it takes some getting used to, playing the right type of FPS games is very well possible with gamepads. For racing games or other genres like third person platformers or twin stick shooters they're absolutely great.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Honestly though, I'm not looking at consoles myself because I'm currently looking for buying a normal PC with respectable hardware and then using something like Steam link to stream it to my TV if I want to play a game behind my TV with a controller instead of behind my desk.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers, I see what you're saying. I just realised I had a 360, as well. I only played it a few times. I've played a few games since then, just never owned them. I don't mind pads, but just prefer keyboard and mouse combo for that immersive experience.

Does everything still make it's way to PC eventually?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm currently looking for buying a normal PC with respectable hardware and then using something like Steam link to stream it to my TV if I want to play a game behind my TV with a controller instead of behind my desk.

I'm in the same boat. I have no desire to have the latest and greatest rig anymore nor having another screen set up somewhere in the house, but there are games that I would like to play (Pillars of Eternity, Cities Skylines).
Gaming laptops are way to expensive it seems so a steam link looks like the way to go.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I want to build something that's a bit future proof though. Not aiming at Titan X level performance but I do want at least a GTX970 in there, preferably a GTX980 (although that's a €200 step up).

I'm still waiting for AMD to come with their next generation of GPUs though (which should be soon), to see how they perform. Traditionally, AMD has had the cheaper hardware of the two (AMD and nVidia) but performance has been a bit of a downer on the AMD side. That might change with AMD's next gen GPU's so that means that either AMD has a really competitive GPU out, or nVidianeeds to drop its prices on its current offerings. Either way, that's win-win. And if AMD drops the ball again, well that's a shame but nothing's really been lost on my end. Still have enough interesting XBox 360 games in my back catalogue to play :)

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ Eraser & Emka; would you not consider the Steam console a viable alternative? I'll be in the same boat soonish, after i move house in a few months... was planning on maybe getting one of those. Why do you guys prefer steamlink, is it a hardware based decision? Cost?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 06:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it looks worse than Doom 3.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
@ Eraser & Emka; would you not consider the Steam console a viable alternative? I'll be in the same boat soonish, after i move house in a few months... was planning on maybe getting one of those. Why do you guys prefer steamlink, is it a hardware based decision? Cost?

I have into it briefly but there's not much known yet about those to make that decision yet. Also, cost ranges between 500 and 3000 I think. That might mean the low-end is capable of running Civ5 and not much else.
Also the game needs to support steamOS which not all games do, by far.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahh, gotcha. Surprised to hear they haven't released things like specs and a price yet actually, haven't really kept up with the news i guess.

MKJ wrote:

And i didn't know that :offended:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This game looks great... U guys are obvious morons who suck at shooters...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Yeah I want to build something that's a bit future proof though. Not aiming at Titan X level performance but I do want at least a GTX970 in there, preferably a GTX980 (although that's a €200 step up).

I'm still waiting for AMD to come with their next generation of GPUs though (which should be soon), to see how they perform. Traditionally, AMD has had the cheaper hardware of the two (AMD and nVidia) but performance has been a bit of a downer on the AMD side. That might change with AMD's next gen GPU's so that means that either AMD has a really competitive GPU out, or nVidianeeds to drop its prices on its current offerings. Either way, that's win-win. And if AMD drops the ball again, well that's a shame but nothing's really been lost on my end. Still have enough interesting XBox 360 games in my back catalogue to play :)

Honestly by the time the 290x and the 970 start showing their age it'll be time to overhaul your rig anyways. Picked up a 290x a few months back and I'm happy as a pig in shit with it and waiting for new architecture doesn't usually pay off. If it's faster it'll be more expensive and nVidia will keep their price point for a good while whilst AMD are trying to bring cost down, if it's not then we're back where we started.

If you got the coin then go for the 970 purely because of power consumption but I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one.

MKJ wrote:
Ryoki wrote:

I have into it briefly but there's not much known yet about those to make that decision yet. Also, cost ranges between 500 and 3000 I think. That might mean the low-end is capable of running Civ5 and not much else.

I was looking at these the other day, are these the Alienware boxes - I think they were the cheapest at around £480+ ?. The components VS price seem pretty shit, they all offer mobile GPUs (am I wrong here?) and for the cost of the i5 1tb system I managed to build a rig that would kick it 7 ways from Sunday. The others seem to give better specs with higher costs tho - £800+ and my rig would still dance on its face.

The steam link is pretty tidy tho, my brother set up a 20 quid HP he found laying around his firms office, linked it to his rig upstairs and enjoys gaming on his TV downstairs.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 10:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Steam boxes run SteamOS, which is basically Linux, meaning that few games run on it. I believe hou can install windows, but if that's the option then I'm better off building my own rig, which will probably be cheaper. Also, the main idea behind SteamBox is that you stick it under your TV like a console, which rules out desktop mouse/keyboard play. I'm not confident that the Steam controller is a suitable replacement.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The woman at the beginning is stupefyingly annoying but the tech makes up for it. It's like a video from the future. I don;t give a shit about minecraft, but playing Company of Heroes or Cities XL in VR on a tabletop? Sign me the fuck up :drool: :drool:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 11:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy shit that hololens. Dont care about MC, all I see are Dragon Age / D&D possibilities :o

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 11:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, Early Access for xbox. cute.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Steam boxes run SteamOS, which is basically Linux, meaning that few games run on it. I believe hou can install windows, but if that's the option then I'm better off building my own rig, which will probably be cheaper. Also, the main idea behind SteamBox is that you stick it under your TV like a console, which rules out desktop mouse/keyboard play. I'm not confident that the Steam controller is a suitable replacement.

I know the alienware alpha comes with Windows 8.1, its the only one ive looked at properly so far but yea id imagine you could put windows on all of them. From what ive seen youre better off building your own rig n all then invest in a steam link or stream the games to your living room with a cheap desktop with a small form factor (dell, hp or someshit. Core2Duo should do it), then just add a wireless 360 pad anda kb / mouse to get you into steam :shrug:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 11:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wait, backwards compatibility patched into the One? My pants, they need replacing.
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-is-getting-b ... 1711415443

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
wait, backwards compatibility patched into the One? My pants, they need replacing.
http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-is-getting-b ... 1711415443

Just about to post this :drool:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 11:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, that's big. Depends on how big the supported library will be though.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.