Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Doom Snap Map

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Doom Snap Map

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-14-2015 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes baby! Did you guys see that showcase :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-14-2015 08:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looked awesome. Amped for the new DooM!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 12:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Provide some links, you wankers

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 01:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When you want something done right...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 01:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy s***!
Looking really nice. Is this the last Engine Carmack did or im wrong?
I dont know what to say about the Editor before i take my Hands on it... But if its only a drag and drop of prefabs i start to cry!

Edit: Okay i didnt hear the "Even custom Stuff" Stuff when i first looked at the Vid! :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 01:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

According to Wikipedia this runs on id Tech 6 which should do all sorts of fancy things with raytracing and voxels and stuff, but I'm more inclined to say it runs on a modified id Tech 5 which may have been re-branded to id Tech 6.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 01:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or in other words... A heavily modified Q1 Engine :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 02:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Holy s***!
Looking really nice. Is this the last Engine Carmack did or im wrong?
I dont know what to say about the Editor before i take my Hands on it... But if its only a drag and drop of prefabs i start to cry!

Edit: Okay i didnt hear the "Even custom Stuff" Stuff when i first looked at the Vid! :shrug:

I didn't hear that?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then try to clean your Ears and listen at 1:11

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He says "predefined or custom gameplay", which might mean as much as play one of the standard game modes, or define your own gamemode using the in-game visual scripting tools.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
He says "predefined or custom gameplay", which might mean as much as play one of the standard game modes, or define your own gamemode using the in-game visual scripting tools.

Exactly, he never implies custom content.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm maybe its my bad english...

Last edited by AndyW on 06-15-2015 10:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope Radiant will support that Doom 3 remastered... I mean Doom 4! :cool:

2016 Spring is far to away...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll have to see it in action. The first-person view scripting seems neat. I question whether this will result in strict corridor shooters or whether there is enough flexibility to actually create atriums with different floor levels and build architectural details on our own. The Portal editor fit that game because of the simplified look of a testing chamber, I don't think that would work well with Doom.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ this. in before endless crates and pipes

i'm sure a few people will do something good with it though, before exhausting its rather limited creative potential. why do game developers of all people think that creativity is supposed to easy and convenient?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure it's so it would be user friendly enough to design on the consoles. And, scripting in 3d is no issue whatsoever, I've made several games with these systems.

AND to actually get some content out there, steam-workshop or their own library-system.

I prefere to old way of doing things, but where is Doom 3 World these days, the entire Doom 3 community died off when this and other iD games stayed alive?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 3 wasn't a good Id game in my opinion (and not a good sequel for Doom). :(
I really really really hope, Doom 4 will be better than Doom 3 (and will be a good sequel...) :cool:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

when they showed the top-down lego builder view i kind of cringed. i just went back and watched it again and ironically that was the moment that everyone in the audience started cheering :D

i don't really think these kinds of tools are built for people like me. i want full control over my layout designs. i don't see how i can create anything very interesting just by snapping little prefabs together. it seems like some people on this forum agree. but hey, maybe they will surprise us.

overall the game looked amazing though. hopefully that trailer wasn't heavily airbrushed or anything. i can't wait to see more multiplayer footage!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It depends on how extensible the editor would be. If the snap together parts are just for beginners and for prototyping a layout, with separate tools for seasoned developers, that might work out well. I mean, I can't really imagine Id Software building the entire game with snap together prefabs so I would assume they have some more in-depth tools, though I hope I'm not wrong.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 10:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My first impression was that DooM looked great.
I was stoked to see there was an inbuilt editor. My excitement waned somewhat as I realised it was a game type editor and prefab shuffler.
Was it time splitters that came with something similar, many years ago?
I live in hope that somehow we can create and add custom content. Perhaps adding static meshes to the game library, or like Obs was suggesting, being given access to a version of the real tools.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sure we'll get full fledged development tools for Doom 4. id Software used such tools to build the game, and they have a history of releasing said tools. I'm sure Doom Snap Map (at least the prefab stitching part) is just a little toy they threw in so that console gamers can build maps as well.

Also, I guess a stitched together map based on prefabs results in very small map files which can easily be shared through a user content repository. A lot easier than 50mb (or whatever) files for fully custom maps.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 12:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
My first impression was that DooM looked great.
I was stoked to see there was an inbuilt editor. My excitement waned somewhat as I realised it was a game type editor and prefab shuffler.
Was it time splitters that came with something similar, many years ago?
I live in hope that somehow we can create and add custom content. Perhaps adding static meshes to the game library, or like Obs was suggesting, being given access to a version of the real tools.

No, it's kinda like Halo's Forge.

I'm pretty sure the PC version will see the release of an advanced editor. Unless they are launching their own workshop, Bethesda is known to rely heavily on the Steam workshop. My educated guess is that there will be some sort of custom workshop combining all the platforms and being exclusive to DoomSnapMap. Besides that I expect a advanced editor for PC only which will rely on the Steam workshop. I know several people at Id and they all confirmed more or less that editing Doom has been heavily documented. Now this could be for internal use but I expect a sort of devnet like they did with the Doom 3 engine. I'm under the impression that they are betting big on modding for the longevity of the game.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 01:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
It depends on how extensible the editor would be. If the snap together parts are just for beginners and for prototyping a layout, with separate tools for seasoned developers, that might work out well. I mean, I can't really imagine Id Software building the entire game with snap together prefabs so I would assume they have some more in-depth tools, though I hope I'm not wrong.

I assume they have more powerfull tools too and that might get released for PC, the level they showed didn't look like something you can make good with snapmap, the outsides.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-27-2015 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm... I tend not to follow much of the above... but want to remind of how things went with Rage, and supposedly Doom 4 is running some form of Rage engine... well, if I got it correctly the next engine in the idTech series (6?)... and Rage was a total nightmare to develop for, if that was even possible, since you needed such extensive hardware to do it (read: render farm). So why should that have changed for D4? I am betting the id tools that exist to create "real" maps also take up too much hardware to be practical for any "hobby" mapper.

Personally, I think the snap mapping will be fun for a few hours... and then there will simply be thousands of maps that all look and play the same. I.e. boring. I don't have much "modding" hopes for D4 and I really find the finishing moves disgusting... I always thought horror was bad enough, nope now its also ultra disgusting. Don't think I'll like the game... or I'll need play it without using finishing moves.

Presently I still have hopes for Reflex... modern engine, quake3'ish, with potentially interesting editor (though in the last 6 months the editor was not updated, though that should be coming up "soon" (next 1-2 months I hope)).

Anyway... over the top detail... interesting more agile Doom marine (that at least is kinda neat)... but the rest... hmm... not really my thing.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-27-2015 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
... I really find the finishing moves disgusting...

i agree. gore is totally unnecessary for me to enjoy first person shooter combat. in fact, it often makes it less fun for me than something like paintball for example, which is just a simulation. sometimes when i watch CS where the violence is more realistic than quake i feel physically bad after watching players' heads get blown in for an hour. i guess i am more sensitive than most gamers. i also tend not to watch movies or tv shows that show violence for the thrill of it.

i get that some people like the violence, i mean just look at the people in the E3 audience cheering for it. i'd never try to tell developers to make their games less violent - freedom of expression and all that. it just turns me off, and i think the fact that so many games have violence is one of the things that keeps other people in the general public from taking it seriously as an art form.

that said, i'd still work on doom multiplayer in a second if id called me up wanting to hire me. i just love arena style combat so much :)

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 02:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the moves are disgusting, not because of the violence, but because of how they slow down the game, even if you don't do them, there's no need to give the player a choice. Same with that stupid slow-down-weapon selection wheel, but I heard you don't need to change weapon like that.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no problem with the finishers because they are anything but realistic. It's way over the top, almost a caricature of itself. Don't take the violence too serious, similarly to how you don't take the violence in Tom & Jerry serious. That's the only way to approach this.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting... I feel like the user-friendliness probably limits the options for geometry creation (brushwork can do anything, this probably can create many permutations of the lego pieces that the tool ships with, only)... But since I don't have my hands on it, I could be wrong.

Not that I have time to do ANYTHING with it? But I like the idea of id keeping the door open for user-created content.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-28-2015 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To bet honest I would have preferred the more "open-worldy" Rage II instead.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-01-2015 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The whole game looks terrible and repetitive - probably even because of that LEGO-Editor. The finishing moves - fun and funny in brutal doom - are breaking the already "slowish" game play. The game itself basically looks like this: https://youtu.be/I9dQFSIJhOQ just darker and with generic scifi-weapons.
Opting for UT2015...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-01-2015 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WOW.. Never played that Game but the Outside-View of this Map(in the Video) looks really cool!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-24-2015 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did anyone map something for RAGE? I think, its all pre-defined ...
And because of the brutal killing moves (esp. on other players),
it will be indicated (in germany), i guess!

But it will be the best game of all times! :)
I already started to save some money! (Y)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-24-2015 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-09-2015 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There will be no SDK or advanced editor. Snapmap will be it. I'm so disappointed right now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-09-2015 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like it's a lot like the editor in something like Timesplitters.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.