Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Skyrim

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Skyrim

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 01:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
I think I will have to buy a xbox controller though it seems a little silly as I'll probably only use it with this game.

Worth it nowadays, just a sign of the times. Works seamlessly with Win7 and a lot of games will convert the UI prompts to show the controller buttons as soon as you pick it up.

Great for stuff like TrackMania, too.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I think you can buy a house in Whiterun for $5000.

fuck me! I don't have that kind of money, and from the looks of it I'll never do :(

are you fuckers thieving, pillaging and raping at every opportunity?
It seems that an honest day of work doesn't get you all that much, in this land.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

after 4-5 hours of play I have $4000, mostly from selling weapons and enchanted armor.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm, looks like this enchanted stuff is the key. Granted, I've been putting all my cash into self improvement...all those 'lessons' don't come cheap!

Still, I must be doing something wrong....maybe I need to start asking for work around town.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh and btw, what difficulty is everyone playing on? is there a meaningful difference in the modes, or something simple like" more damage taken, less damage given"?

I have switched to expert in mid game, from the initial lower setting.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As I recall, Oblivion was actually pretty fucking hard on the harder settings so I would assume that Skyrim is roughly the same. I think it's a bit more involved than just "more/less damage"...

BTW, if you want some cash, alchemy is again a good way... just steal some food (bucket method?) and go scouring for various plants in the fields and you can probably make a ton of potions just from those two sources. Sell 'em all off, get some money and boost your alchemy skills at the same time. :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 05:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone know a good way to Jill someone silently? I'm trying to kill the old hag at the orphanage, but the children and the other woman always hears her scream when I kill her, even when she's sleeping...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could put a spell/throw on a potion on the rest of the people around?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 05:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Downloaded this shite off Steam... my computer does not like this game... time for an upgrade I 'spose... :tear:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 06:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Today in Skyrim, I have met my first Daedra, who was an insane scottish mad bastard, with a penchant for pyschology. I have also joined the Dark Brotherhood, simply because their missions in Oblivion were by far the best. I still remember that house where you had to kill all the guests without them becoming suspicious of you :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 06:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I went ahead and killed the old bitch with all the children watching. Didn't seem to matter.

I feel like I'm spreading my skill points out too much instead of focusing on just a few attributes. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me. I guess I like a well rounded character. Any thoughts on this?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

u sound like u like playing ur games like a moron...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 07:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 11:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I went ahead and killed the old bitch with all the children watching. Didn't seem to matter.

I feel like I'm spreading my skill points out too much instead of focusing on just a few attributes. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me. I guess I like a well rounded character. Any thoughts on this?

I'm feeling that way too. In Oblivion I had a character that had maxed out every attribute pretty much. My character is an Imperial and I've followed the basic idea of the battle mage character in the guide book. Lets me kick ass in combat with ranged spells and good melee damage as well, but I also want to be able to pick pockets, sneak and pick locks as well.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
oh and btw, what difficulty is everyone playing on? is there a meaningful difference in the modes, or something simple like" more damage taken, less damage given"?

I have switched to expert in mid game, from the initial lower setting.

contrary to Oblivion, this game does not scale. So while it may seem easy at points, if you take the wrong turn you might end up way over your head.
the way it's supposed to be :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apparently if you install to HDD on XBox 360 you're getting crappy textures:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... n-xbox-360

Just a FYI for those playing it on XBox

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 01:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea read about that. nice bug, which I totally get btw

the game checks it the file is in the cache (read: hdd), but not if the file is the uncompressed or compressed version.
so when its installed it sees the (compressed) files and decides it doesnt have to do anything anymore, ie uncompress. :dork:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
xer0s wrote:

I'm feeling that way too. In Oblivion I had a character that had maxed out every attribute pretty much. My character is an Imperial and I've followed the basic idea of the battle mage character in the guide book. Lets me kick ass in combat with ranged spells and good melee damage as well, but I also want to be able to pick pockets, sneak and pick locks as well.

sounds like you want the cake and eat it too :)

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

Expect a surprise very soon...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 05:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*surprise

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 06:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Apparently if you install to HDD on XBox 360 you're getting crappy textures:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... n-xbox-360

Just a FYI for those playing it on XBox

Damn, installed it cause I thought it'd make the loading faster. Looks like I may need to uninstall. Any word on an update coming for this?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 06:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Word is that Bethesda's making real good progress here: they went from "this problem doesn't exist" to "ok, there may be a problem here"

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 07:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

actually, the word is that theyre working on a fix;
http://kotaku.com/5858743/bethesda-work ... alling-yet

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 07:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uninstalling won't destroy my character or progress? :paranoid:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 10:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Find out where teh save file is stored. probably in your user profile somewhere and just make a copy, "should" be fine but I'd google it if I was you.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 10:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, uninstalling 360 games never fucks up any savegames or preferences. its just another file in the memory tab, prolly called Skyrim with "Game" as description.
tip: it's the file thats about 5 gigs big :owned:

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 07:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bethesda improved on Oblivion in every way and really raised the bar for the RPG genre. Even though I'm really early into the story Skyrim is quickly becoming one of my favourite games.

I just started the Stormcloak quest chain after spending a ton of time exploring and looting random caves and bandit hideouts. The dragon fights are a good challenge and make for entertaining fights but giants are absolutely brutal.

Did anyone else go the werewolf route? It makes clearing out caves or bandit forts much easier. They balanced the power by making you watch where you change since normal citizens and/or allies will attack you on sight when shapeshifted.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 07:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
are you fuckers thieving, pillaging and raping at every opportunity?
It seems that an honest day of work doesn't get you all that much, in this land.

Just loot bandit forts and caves then sell, sell, sell. I haven't stolen anything yet and have managed to do a lot of skill training, buy and furnish the house in Windrun, and have a bunch of cash kicking around waiting for some decent armour upgrades.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 08:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is y'all opinion on going Stormcloak or Imperial Legion? I am leaning toward Legion, but I also remember something along the lines of "Forget the list, off with his head!".....

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK I am sold....I need this game in my life. Payday Friday, it will be mine...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 12:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

both the legion and the stormcloaks have their good and bad traits, its a tough call.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 12:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gabe wrote this at Penny Arcade about his experience with Skyrim:

Quote:
In the end it comes down to the same problem I have with all these sorts of open world games. I find them sort of paralyzing. When I meet a group of people in Skyrim and they want me to join their cult or whatever I just freeze up. If I do join it, will I miss out on some cool thing later? If I don’t join it, are they going to have some rad adventure without me? No matter what I choose I feel like I missed out on something awesome. I’m not picking a direction to go, I’m deciding not to go a hundred other directions. Obviously I’m a crazy person but that’s just how these games make me feel. I need a much more directed game experience to have a good time.

At the risk of people using this as the be-all-end-all argument against me for liking Rage, I'll come clean and say I often feel the same with these kinds of games. I see you peeps talking about Stormcloaks and Legion. Being forced to choose between the two would make me feel like I'm missing out on all the content I'd experience when I would've made the other choice.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-15-2011 01:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its basically the epitome of replayability, innit?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.