Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        PHOTOS PLEASE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: PHOTOS PLEASE

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great shots all around.

Regarding the Antwerp Central Station shot, I actually like the framing and the telephoto flattens it out quite nicely. :up:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 08:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

0psys wrote:
Couple of shots from a shoot for a book earlier this year:

Great shot, I like the lighting!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-17-2012 08:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Great shots all around.

Regarding the Antwerp Central Station shot, I actually like the framing and the telephoto flattens it out quite nicely. :up:

Thanks, I have to admit, it's like a joint hobby for me and my brother.

I take the pics, he does the post processing :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-19-2012 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insensatez wrote:
0psys wrote:
Couple of shots from a shoot for a book earlier this year:

Great shot, I like the lighting!

Cheers dude. Background, plane, and woman are all lit separately and then composited together

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-19-2012 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn, that's a great shot. Well done.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-19-2012 11:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

indeed, can't stop looking at those curves.
the plane's curves, I mean (no homo).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I think it's a great shot, too. One of the few I've taken that actually ended up looking how I wanted it to.

Here's another set of shots from a recent advertising campaign for a high-end interior company. I think the shots run in Home & Garden or some such magazine later this month

The concept was awesome. They wanted to put their fabrics into a derelict house to try to blend the contrast between the two opposites. The stuff in the shots is crazy-expensive. I think it's probably the best job I've ever had. I loved every minute of it.

The fabrics and furniture arrived in two removal trucks at the beginning of the day, then the carpenters went through the house hanging the curtains etc. while the dressers dressed each of the rooms.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-25-2012 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's some fucking lighting right there. Very well done.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that plane one is awesome really satisfying to view

it will be a treat when you do the kinda opposite and do vivid color and mostly brights!

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 02:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those fabric shots are amazing.

The plane shot has me torn. It's a great photo, and I know that's how you wanted it to look, but not being able to see her legs really bothers me for some reason...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, tell me about it. Those legs are from a different shot. The original shot had the rim light you can see on the right of her jacket following all the way down her body to her boots, but for some reason, once the visible light source was removed from the shot, it looked really fake.

I tried to get a balance between to the two, but even a slight bit of light on her legs just made her look like she was stuck on (which she was), so in the end I just went with complete darkness.

I agree with you though.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome work. :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-26-2012 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, good stuff.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 09-03-2012 03:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From trip to Huntington Beach in California. I still need practice.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-03-2012 03:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like it. But maybe next time do it landscape?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-03-2012 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 09-07-2012 05:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I like it. But maybe next time do it landscape?

I have a bunch of beach landscapes, but I find them a bit uninteresting.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-07-2012 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More recent work.

This was from a shoot for a security company. Weather was an absolute travesty on the day,

This is from the same interior shoot as my last post. To get a an idea of the kind of money spent on this shoot, that fabric is $450 sq/m, and there was so much of it, it had to be bunched up at the top of the stairs.

Already posted it, but client ended up wanting changes:

And..

And finally, this girl. This shot is completely unretouched, straight out of the camera. She was just an amateur actress who came to the studio for a headshot session, and ended up being one of the most photogenic people I've ever shot.

These are just completely random shots from lightroom, no editing whatsoever. Ignore the colour, I use some weird white balance settings when I shoot, and sometimes I just shoot with the modelling lights and no flash.

Who knows if she'll even choose those shots, they're not even the best ones from the shoot. You NEVER get actresses who are so easy to photograph.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 09-07-2012 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice pics. Did ya bang her? :smirk:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-07-2012 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

She's purty. Those lips :drool:

guru
guru
PostPosted: 09-07-2012 10:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Christ sys0p, you're lighting is always fucking amazing. Top notch shit there man.

Random question - Do you use beauty dish lighting much if at all?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2012 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cheers tnf. Yeah, beauty dish is always my main light source if I'm shooting just a face and shoulders. I used a Profoto beauty dish for the three shots above.

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 05:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

0psys wrote:
More recent work.

This was from a shoot for a security company. Weather was an absolute travesty on the day,

The weather drives this image home everyone is focused and completely unaffected by the rain.

The fabric shots are awesome. it's a great twist on your standard boring bright white catalog.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great shot. Better than this security company could have ever wished for.
I assume the woman is the secured party, she's now also protected against rain.
Highly processed image, but very effective.

EDIT: Hey GH!
Long time no post, thought you were dead.

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 08:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:

EDIT: Hey GH!
Long time no post, thought you were dead.

Not dead just lurking :clownboat:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

0psys wrote:

no one has her six

some security company

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 09:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how sexist. maybe she's one of the guards :!:
this photographer is so awesome he requires 4 suits on his six.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This just in! Female guards require their own umbrella carrier, stylish clothing, and hills.

You aint gettin equal pay any time soon.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, I knew I've seen that guy somewhere before

lol I guess that's what you get if you fail your primary mission.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
how sexist. maybe she's one of the guards :!:

one of the guards who needs to have the rain kept off her by one of the other guards? she's clearly the traveller

also, no woman walks in a public place without a purse

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe she's a prisoner.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NO ONE ON HER SIX

ffffuuuu-

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 09-10-2012 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like this Jim X fellow's monogrammed umbrella.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 09-11-2012 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sys0p- you still shooting with a 5D2 as your main full frame body? Or did you switch to Nikon like a few of the photographers I know did when the D800 was released?

I thought they made great improvements with the 5D3 (but it felt more like a 5D Mark 2.5). Still, the autofocus in the 5D2 can make wedding photography sketchy at best sometimes when your subject is moving in less than optimal lighting.

Other than that, I've not seen much in IQ that would have me upgrading my 5D2 to a 5D3. I thought about selling my Mark IV and 5D2 and getting a 1DX - only because I'm a total sucker for new fancy gear, but now that I've got a steadily growing wedding business I need to be a lot more conscious of decisions that make business sense and those that don't.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-11-2012 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still shooting on my 5D2 for the time being, I'm upping to a H4D-40 or 50 at some point in the next 12 months. I'll keep the 5D2 for when medium format isn't convenient.

In all honesty, I very rarely shoot in conditions I can't make perfect with lighting. I don't shoot weddings or events, and prefer to have control of things; I don't think I've taken my camera beyond ISO250 more than twice in the last year.

You're right on the autofocus, though. It's fucking diabolical. Even when I'm in the studio a couple of shots out of 20 will just be completely shit. I shot my friend while he was fighting a couple of weeks ago, and it was just completely useless at capturing fast action. For a wedding, I bet you couldn't go wrong with a 5D3-I remember messing around with a 7D some months ago and the AF was incredibly fast compared to the 5D2.

I dabbled with the idea of switching to Nikon when the D800 was released, but realised that is what I would do if MF wasn't in my future. It's not better, image wise, than even a 5D1, they're all as good as each other in optimal conditions, which is all I want to shoot in.

Yeah, lay off the new equipment unless you absolutely need it. The 1dx won't let you create a new type of picture. Once you get to a certain point in your career, you should only be purchasing equipment that can alter either the look of your shot or increase the efficiency of your workflow. Everything else is just bells and whistles.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.