Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        PHOTOS PLEASE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: PHOTOS PLEASE

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

really nice moon shots.. always makes me feel very tiny when i realise what microbes we are in the vast universe..

here is a nice pic (not by me) which fits the theme.. starting space shuttle captured out of a plane

http://twitpic.com/4yg6hs

Last edited by mac on 05-17-2011 07:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 05-17-2011 06:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There, I fixed it...

PostPosted: 05-18-2011 09:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have more pictures, but waiting to get photoshop to merge the shots since the moon doesn't fit the frame. Also shot a mosiac with the 2x adapter and will put that together. with any luck it will turn out well.

from tonight though...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-18-2011 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice andyman, really nice.

Looking forward to developments :olo:

(yes looking for a pun :smirk: )

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the overall effect and the desaturated colours, but I find the cow distracting and the tree a little too centred. Might look better if it followed rule of thirds and shifted to the left.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 04:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Normally, I take advice on my work, but in this instance I don't think you're right.

There are two lines converging into a point with a main visual device at the tip of the converging lines. If it shifted to the left, there would be a giant gaping space with no visual information. Also, if it shifted to the left, I would lose all of the cloud detail that is balancing that side of the shot.

The rule of thirds doesn't really work when you're photographing what is essentially a triangle. ROT is used to create drama or dynamics in static visual shapes.

I felt the same about the cow, but when I turned the layer off for comparison, the shot just lost something that I couldn't explain. It was boring without it.

That is my most popular Flickr upload ever. It has had 165 comments in three days, and was also accepted on oneeyeland.com, which is probably the most prestigious photography site on the internet. I'm well chuffed.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finished this in about 25 minutes, I quite like it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-19-2011 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, I just tried it with a left composition, and it does look pretty cool, but the clouds don't quite look right, and it loses the middle-of-nowhere look and just becomes an ordinary mountain.. But it's more balanced than I expected it to be.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

25 minutes for a copy and paste of an error placeholder? :owned:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This photo is currently unavailable

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:
ROT is used to create drama or dynamics in static visual shapes.

i'm a great believer in the ROT. it's what lifts my own pictures from 'a bit crap' to merely mediocre ;)

PostPosted: 05-20-2011 09:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This one was when the moon was low in the sky so there's a bit of distortion, but now that it's getting smaller, it fits in the frame and this was the most minor of crops. It will be clearer in about 4 hours, more to come.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 05-20-2011 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
This photo is currently unavailable

YER CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE!!!!!!!!

On topic: I love this thread. :)

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 02:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Front vinyl sleeve for my new release, out next month:

Here was the last one:

The photos were commissioned and I did the design/editing. They look pretty amazing printed on spined 400gsm w/matte laminate card stock.

PostPosted: 05-21-2011 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

regular shot

These next three are with the 25mm eyepiece in the adapter and they came out kind of good. The eypiece doesn't seem to do too well when it's projecting on a flat surface such as the sensor, but when the light is projected on a curved surface, like an eye, the edges are in focus too. That's only my theory though. This eyepiece is not what you would call the greatest though, I'm sure a higher quality one would yield better results. Also these are uncropped.

This one is uncropped, and minus a few minor tweaks, it is virtually straight of the camera and is probably my favorite one yet. This was when the sun was already out and just before it completely washed out the moon, right in that transition phase.

Last edited by andyman on 05-22-2011 12:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05-21-2011 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and made a couple more videos:

http://vimeo.com/24044348

With the 25mm eyepiece, with panning. And the sounds of nature @ 4:20
http://vimeo.com/24044119

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-21-2011 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:

The photos were commissioned and I did the design/editing. They look pretty amazing printed on spined 400gsm w/matte laminate card stock.

New release? I haven't been around in awhile so I'm not current with what you've been up to. What are you releasing? I love the pics, especially the first one.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wabbit wrote:
brisk wrote:

New release? I haven't been around in awhile so I'm not current with what you've been up to. What are you releasing? I love the pics, especially the first one.

Just a little arty music thing of mine, i've done for the past few years. Not something very commercial and certainly not for everyone, but the limited runs always sell out fast and it's a rewarding endeavour.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
vinyl

very niche

album art was a major loss with the death of vinyl

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm digging the moon shots Andeh :up:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
brisk wrote:
vinyl

very niche

album art was a major loss with the death of vinyl

nah, vinyl is still very much alive, it's just strictly the domain of indie labels now. check http://www.boomkat.com

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i meant the death of vinyl as the dominant format for issuing music. indie *is* niche by definition

PostPosted: 05-22-2011 03:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't done anything all day except manage to eat, and get a few waterdrop shots. first attempt at this, and since i don't have an external flash, the onboard had to do :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice :up: needs a darker, more uniform background though imho

PostPosted: 05-22-2011 04:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'll give that a try...

PostPosted: 05-22-2011 05:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:) this could go on forever...

Messing with the color in lightroom:

fun

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
regular shot
AWESOME SHOT!!!

These next three are with the 25mm eyepiece in the adapter and they came out kind of good. The eypiece doesn't seem to do too well when it's projecting on a flat surface such as the sensor, but when the light is projected on a curved surface, like an eye, the edges are in focus too. That's only my theory though. This eyepiece is not what you would call the greatest though, I'm sure a higher quality one would yield better results. Also these are uncropped.

MORE AWESOME SHOTS!!!

This one is uncropped, and minus a few minor tweaks, it is virtually straight of the camera and is probably my favorite one yet. This was when the sun was already out and just before it completely washed out the moon, right in that transition phase.
ANOTHER AWESOME SHOT!!!

How about wallpaper size (1280x1024 or more)???? :drool:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1920x1200 plz thx kbye

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 09:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 01:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

best keyboard ever!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

roar or yawn.. you decide..

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Life at times, becomes almost ALL TOO Consuming.
It makes it hard to get out there and do what you yourself want to do when you reach my stage of age.

It has been that way with me.

While I have at least browsed this thread to keep up....I have not been secluded in the back wash of the flat plains that is Kansas.

So we shall revisit ..... Tornado Ally.... And a recent Chasing.
As you all know, or should, I have posted a few captures of such windage action. Figured since I got lucky in the 1st time in 3 years I would share here. (Exclusive for you all)

Unlike the last two years the Mid plains are being hit hard. For the last two years...it has been fairly silent tornado wise here in the Midwest.

The 1st pic is a panorama of the incoming storm as viewed from my back 40........

(The Tornado is at the bottom left)

I did not realize how close the Tornado was. Even tho the sirens were going off...and I was busy taking the Panorama....as you cant fully see something like this until it is put in perspective of how BIG it is....I kept merrily clicking. I know I did like a satellite scan and have missing data....but deal with it.

As I sat down and began scrolling over the photos taken, I spied one.....one that made me look again. I Zoomed in...I shook my head and looked at the skyline....I looked again at the photo.

The second pic is a 1 pic of the panorama. You can clearly see the tornado, tho its bottom portion is obscured by the tree.

It was at this time, me and dog embarked on jaunt to go secure a better, close up photo.

Since it was looking like it was going to the north of us, we went north to a gravel road about 5 miles and then hit another gravel road and went west.

I jumped out of my car....after passing several High Known Chase Teams and pointed my camera skywards. I knew my bat was down and the spare dead. And yep....it went click/lock.

Argggg.....so I grabbed my cell phone....

And this is it roping out.

Just something I like to do.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ForM wrote:
Life at times, becomes almost ALL TOO Consum...

fuck u...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 08:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There isn't a tornado in any of those pictures.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-23-2011 09:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ForM wrote:
Life at times, becomes almost ALL TOO Consuming.
It makes it hard to get out there and do what you yourself want to do when you reach my stage of age.

It has been that way with me...................

Yes some of know that feeling ForM :smirk:
My advice for what it's worth: Look after yourself first :!:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.