Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Dark Souls

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Dark Souls

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 01:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brofessional?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think i'm nearing the end now, so i've decided to help my fellow man in co-op. It's hilarious watching people invade the games i'm summoned to, thinking they're gonna have an easy time against just one guy - then I pop out and ruin their shit.

Also, i've intentionally helped out players get to the bosses, then when they trust me completely and enter the boss rooms, I just stand back and watch them get slaughtered. Being a cunt in dark souls is a lot of fun.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-17-2011 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10 days later, the game is officially complete. 99% of the time I loved it, but the major criticisms I have are the wank p2p-based online system (major lag in pvp to the point where I just stopped trying) and the Lost Izalith level being a bit cheap and having poor level design (seriously, who thought making a giant lava pit with a million t-rex style demons that can kill you in 1 hit a good idea?)

I don't think it was harder than Demon's Souls, though obviously I knew the combat/gameplay dynamics inside out before I started this, so I guess that cut the sting out of it. The enemy designs/models are still fantastic and the whole world is just incredibly engrossing. When you get out of bed early to turn on the console and get a few sneaky hours in before work, you know the game is a winner.

I don't think i'll be doing NG+ for a while, since there's too many great games coming out in the next few weeks, but it's definitely something i'll return to soon. BUY THE FUCKING GAME YOU PUSSIES.

/blog

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I've been playing Dark Souls lately. Man, was I ever off about this game it's fucking awesome. Seriously, my only gripe is that unbalanced pvp aspect. Too many times I invade or get invaded by people and they're WAY overpowered compared to me. The only time it seems to be fair and reasonable MOST of the time is in the forrest when the blood moon convenant assholes come looking for me.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PVP is the only reason I play this game now, but yeah, it's incredibly unbalanced, unless you know the game mechanics inside out and can prepare for any given situation.

There is a glitch in the game that allows you to use the bottomless box to store all your high-end gear and then make a new character, keeping all your existing equipment, but at a low soul level. What this means is that people who start the game fresh are now finding themselves getting invaded by people with twinked out gear, standing absolutely no chance. On the other hand, a lot of friendly phantoms now put soul signs up to counter these griefers. It's generally lame as fuck, though I do like the fact it's very easy to make new builds now, so it's not all bad.

The forest is pretty much the Mos Eisley of the Dark Souls world btw. It's full of the absolute dirtiest, cheapest, noobiest players in the whole game. 99% of the time, the host has summoned a friend to gangbang invaders as soon as they connect. They're usually rocking the full Giants/Havel gear and go for ultra-cheap kills. I do host there occasionally if i'm needing to level up, as it's by far the most active PVP area in the game. I also like to invade there and take the gankers apart, which usually leads to delicious ragemail. Dark Anor Londo is the same too.

The unofficial dueling area is The Kiln, but i've found just as many dirty gankers there as I do in the forest. In my experience, the best place to invade and get good honour duels is at the Undead Burg, next to the bonfire. You're almost always guarenteed a good game there, either as a Darkwraith or a Darkmoon Blade. It's also where all the low-level griefers like to invade the noob players, so it's pretty hilarious to invade their world and watch their horror as you utterly destroy them, knowing the table has been turned on them.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, revenge in the burg would indeed be fun. I've invaded my fair share and been invaded and I've managed to fight off people who seem to be similarily equipped.

love the game though, I'm getting geared up to go kill the Hydra and the Wolf.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 09:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How would you describe the PvP? A dumb down version of World of Warcraft?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 10:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's nothing at all like WoW. It's a twitch game, first and foremost and the pvp when evenly matched which is unfortunately rare, is a game of dancing around your opponent waiting for them to fuck up. I rarely launch an attack unless it's to make them offbalance like a kick or lunge.

My main beef so far is getting attacked by individuals who 1 shot me dead with uber weapons whether or not I block. Others it takes 2 - 3 hits to kill me so for those matches really there isn't much you can do.

All in all though, despite the uneven fights I deeply love the way it's implemented. If they would fix the twinks (preferably by wiping their fucking save games) and then patching to prevent them from doing it again it'd be a perfect game.

It's a must have game and should be game of the year in my opinion.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
How would you describe the PvP? A dumb down version of World of Warcraft?

:tear:

Anyway, I love the diversity of builds I see in the game. You never know what to expect until you see your opponent and you have to plan accordingly. Losing is just practice for winning in future afterall. The only thing that is bad is being on the receiving end of lagstabs. That's what happens when the player userbase is predominantly Japanese, unfortunately. Still, when you learn to counter them and abuse them for your own game, it becomes a lot of fun. The depth of the game continually surprises me.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sigh, I'll just buy it with GFWL. What's another bloatware pos on top of steam, origin and battle.net? grin are bear it.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 10:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's wrong with GFWL? I haven't got much experience with it, only played Dirt 2 on PC through GFWL (admittedly, downloaded through Steam) but I don't see the problem with it.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 12:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If GFWL crashes while you're playing a game, it'll pull you out of the game and stop you playing until it's back up and running. It extends installation of most games that use it needlessly and frequently by as much as an hour or more. Generally it's also used for multiplayer "Matchmaking" in games with online functionality and inevitably works at a sub-par standard if at all, on top of which, Microsoft haven't updated it for over a year now. It's a bag of shit that's not needed at all.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 03:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought MS stopped the whole GFWL even. because it fails so much

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 05:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like GFWL. You people cry as if it physically harms you if you have to make a couple extra mouse clicks or run an additional program on your 21st century quad core supercomputers.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You like it purely because we dislike it, be honest shaft.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 11-17-2012 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried it, played a few hours, then gave up. It had a lot of performance issues and would get too framey at the most important times. Controls/camera fucked me 4 times on the castle bridge boss which I had to play 45 minutes each time to get to and then I gave up on it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.