Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        autonomous car next revolution?...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: autonomous car next revolution?...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

probably...and look at the typical moronics from the right...

Quote:
Some conservatives have expressed concern that Governments will place controls on robot cars that diminish freedom. [11]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomo ... te_note-10

moron alert?...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
probably...and look at the typical moronics from the right...

Quote:
Some conservatives have expressed concern that Governments will place controls on robot cars that diminish freedom. [11]

click me for hilarious stupidity from a grown man

Can we just make it illegal to be on the right wing of the political spectrum? It'll simply make all our debates about solving problems that much more fruitful and that much less retarded.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol these cars would be revolutionary to our way of life and Goldberg is worried if he can ever drive over the speed limit again? lol dumb ass...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 09:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Can we just make it illegal to be on the right wing of the political spectrum? It'll simply make all our debates about solving problems that much more fruitful and that much less retarded.

I think he's got a point, I go offroad all the time for fun, can't really do that in a robot car with no steering wheel...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

I think he's got a point, I go offroad all the time for fun, can't really do that in a robot car with no steering wheel...

then buy a car with a steering wheel dipshit...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Quote:
In 2010, there were 32,885 US traffic fatalities...

lol wut

that's over 2 1/2 times the traffic fatality rate of the UK. i guess jonah goldberg is defending the right of every american to exit his own car through the front windshield at high speed

he does however raise an interesting point: how easy would it be to hack into the control system of a robot car?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he also wrote a book about how fascism is a liberal phenomena...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well now u cum to mention it...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was just thinking about autonomous cars because of a tragic accident that happened last weekend around where I live:

Concord SUV kills father, daughter riding bikes

As much as I like the freedom of turning my steering wheel whenever I want, there's just too much stupidity on the road.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would think most people would welcome this. An informal survey shows that half of them are looking at something other than the road anyway.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
I was just thinking about autonomous cars because of a tragic accident that happened last weekend around where I live:

Concord SUV kills father, daughter riding bikes

As much as I like the freedom of turning my steering wheel whenever I want, there's just too much stupidity on the road.

that's a lot of car for a child to be driving :(

Κracus wrote:

it's very unlikely that the 'robot' element would mean removal of the steering wheel, precisely because people do drive for pleasure. the author (whatever end of the political spectrum they're on) has either failed to understand the nature of commerce or failed to make it clear that they have their tongue in their cheek. again with the other ramblings - it's hard to tell if they're just an idiot or if they don't understand the need for 10,000 robotic cars travelling along the freeway at 250 mph to be uninterrupted by one coffee swigging fucktard pootling along at 70.

imtfo, the police state bit is a valid concern but part of a wider information privacy issue. we need laws, but we also expect a fair shake at being able to break them. with human policing, the state can't have an unmarked car parked outside every home or following you to work - with CCTV and communications/transport monitoring, it can. all those opportunities:
    (1) concerned neighbour
    (2) local coppers
    (3) local magistrate/court
    (4) national anti-terror squad
    (5) international anti-terror squad
    (6) spurious rendition to america
    (7) shadowy private enterprise
    (8) dumping into the taxpayer funded system
    (9) bubba

they all provide a point of human intervention where the situation is still nobody's damn business beyond the people involved. with machines, a lot of that can be bypassed. the opportunity to have broken the law but applied sufficient common sense for it to be of no consequence is gone. e.g. you can already pick up a speeding ticket that it'll take months to get off your record if someone steals your car.

so what happens if you get drunk, threaten your ex-girlfriend on facebook and then have your car take you over to her house? will a robot squad car be waiting outside just in case? it's far too easy to commit a crime as it is (e.g. meat popsicles on twitter/facebook getting time for making stupid posts), we need laws that make sense before we give law enforcement any new toys to play with.

sorry, yes, robot cars. excellent, i want one that will come to me when i've forgotten the damn thing even exists and walked home.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it would be totally awesome if u could just send ur car to pick up ppl and drive them to your location on its own...

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aye - in the meantime i'd settle for cab drivers with reasonable standards of personal hygiene and an understanding that silence can be a good thing.

sort of unrelated:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17663228

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

alot of changes will take place... I'm guessing the repair business will start to drop as more and more people buy automated cars, etc. States for one, will lose alot of the traffic violations related income, which is a big deal since they actually have to fill a quota. Car insurances which is a big business here will surely have to dramatically decrease their rates ( hence their income) do to much lower risk of incidents.

Did that moron mention this? he prolly didn't but sure sounds like the kind of shit a republican would be concerned about.

ps
cars won't be going 250mph, since current speed limits originally had gas efficiency in mind than anything else. It may be possible that rethinking gear ratios of future cars might circumvent this issue, for at least higher speeds if not 250.

pps

that kid was administering cpr while the bus was still moving, lol?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

once these automatons prove themselves, I'm pretty sure manual driving will become illegal within cities and populated roads. Which might actually open the road to more amateur driving tracks popping up in more places, just for the dying breed of the few car enthusiasts that will surely die out within 3-4 generations.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
it would be totally awesome if u could just send ur car to pick up ppl and drive them to your location on its own...

that shit would be pretty slick, reminds me of robot jox ? lol, you could get the car to circle around if you cant find any parking n all

4days wrote:
aye - in the meantime i'd settle for cab drivers with reasonable standards of personal hygiene and an understanding that silence can be a good thing.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

that shit annoys the fuck out of me, talking to the family on speaker phone n all

Last edited by losCHUNK on 04-10-2012 02:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

which reminds me of some tree huger's idea of simple commuting vehicles, that can be be used and left at your destination, for someone else to use. You'd just summon one and be automatically charged for it's usage.

No more pizza boy tips!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
which reminds me of some tree huger's idea of simple commuting vehicles, that can be be used and left at your destination, for someone else to use. You'd just summon one and be automatically charged for it's usage.

No more pizza boy tips!

They already have them with public bicycles that you can rent...just drop it off in a bike rack at your destination.
Doing it with cars shouldn't be too alien to most people, but the space requirements for housing all those public cars will be a problem....unless you're Mitt Romney and can just have the elevator bring your car down.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 03:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
he also wrote a book about how fascism is a liberal phenomena...

This, and the fact that Steven Colbert and Jon Stewart each spent 30 minutes explaining this to Goldberg's face on national television (and he still didn't get it ) is all you need to know about the author: he's not interested in facts, but starting fires. The man is a grade-A moron.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Tsakali wrote:

No more pizza boy tips!

They already have them with public bicycles that you can rent...just drop it off in a bike rack at your destination.
Doing it with cars shouldn't be too alien to most people, but the space requirements for housing all those public cars will be a problem....unless you're Mitt Romney and can just have the elevator bring your car down.

his idea was for smart car-sized vehicles , plus with them now being automated, i guess they would automatically fuck off at a central cue location, or a free parking spot near by :owned:

might not work for euro cities, but most US cities should be ok... and the fact that this should effectively lower the number of cars within a given area, it should work itself out nicely.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-10-2012 11:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

Then you buy a car specifically for that purpose.
You know, it's the same argument when someone would say it's preposterous he can't use racing slicks on public road because he's taking his car to the track all the time for fun.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 12:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Tsakali wrote:

No more pizza boy tips!

we have that here in dutcheeland actually, GreenWheels as its called.
theres bright red Peugeot's parked throughout the city. you get a key and pay a monthly fee and you can take one whenever and whereever. gotta park them back into one of the designated areas afterwards.

theyre now doing the same with electric cars too. 'CarGo' or something along those lines. can only park them at recharging spots tho.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah there's a few services like that here in the Netherlands, but only available in the larger cityy's, I mean city's.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 12:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you mean cities.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No I mean city's.

Ok, I admit, yes you are right. I was so caught up in that cityy joke that I accidentally completely fucked it up.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Tsakali wrote:

No more pizza boy tips!

bear in mind that these cars will be so hideous that no one will want to be seen dead in one

at least if London's Boris bikes are anything to go by

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 08:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

His points on remote tracking and remote control/shutdown are somewhat valid. OnStar has been doing both of those things for years now. This is no reason to boycott a new industry but it is something we should be concerned about in the same way we have to worry about how friendly our ISP is with the gov.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:

My brother is part of a car share program. He has a few cars parked by his condo, a couple of compacts, a sedan or two, and an SUV. If he needs a car, he just swipes his card and picks a car. Fees include gas and insurance. He says that it's a lot cheaper than actually owning a car and having to pay for gas and insurance separately. Coupled with public transit, he hasn't had a need to own a car.

The car share works well when you need to use a car to run some errands around town. Not so much when you need to commute to work since they charge per hour and you'll leave it parked for 8 hours. It's an interesting alternative for people who live in urban environments who need the flexibility between using public transit on a normal basis and having a car at their disposal when you need to pick up a lot of groceries or a big box from IKEA.

Also, rental bikes are indeed hideous. We have those in Toronto as well. An urban commuter doesn't have to look like it's made by PlaySkool.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-11-2012 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It does if you don't want people to steal them.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
... the dying breed of the few car enthusiasts that will surely die out within 3-4 generations.

We will never die!

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah ya will...my offspring will make sure of it...any questions?...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'd drive those barclays bikes around london for sure!

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Tsakali wrote:
... the dying breed of the few car enthusiasts that will surely die out within 3-4 generations.

We will never die!

don't get me wrong , I love driving... but traffic, sadistic levels of law enforcement and a completely flat level grid like street infrastructure has sucked the life out of any fun that can possibly be had. I'd rather not do any driving at all these days.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
My brother is part of a car share program. He has a few cars parked by his condo, a couple of compacts, a sedan or two, and an SUV.

I'm sure the owners of those cars call it something else.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:...oh wai...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.