Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Cutting out salt

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Cutting out salt

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 05:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My blood pressure is apparently borderline hypertension. Doctor tested me 3 times this morning. First time was 166, :eek: second time 163, third time 150 by which time I'd relaxed more. But they know people get anxious with those armbands on squeezing their arms to fuck. So above 140 is regarded as mildly high. Doctor wasn't worried about my 150, but what with me being almost as old as seremtan, recommended I get a blood test and cholestrol test which I've booked for next week. Also, my real BP is very possibly lower than that anyway. Who knows, maybe 140 to145? I'd like to think so anyway. I know of people that tested their BP at home and it was normal, then went to their GP/Nurse and it was reading out stage 1/2 hypertension.

I'd like to get it down to 140. If I cut out all or most added table salt to my food, and removed the skin from chicken thighs and legs, that should help reduce BP but if so, considerably? Or cholestrol? Or both?

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 06:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dead man walking.
Seeking medical advice on a fucking gaming board, no less.
Bye bye, drum.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Dead man walking.
Seeking medical advice on a fucking gaming board, no less.
Bye bye, drum.

There's plenty of threads on here about fitness and health. I'm just adding to the pile.

PS fu..

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously, love you drum.
Just cut the shit food (you know exactly what "shit food" is) and excecrise :up:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Seriously, love you drum.
Just cut the shit food (you know exactly what "shit food" is) and excecrise :up:

I started an exercise regime couple of years back, jogging, running and sprinting every day. Like many, laziness got the better of me after a short period of time and I stopped. :shrug:
Need to get back into it though.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm in the same place you are in.
I'm 38 now, and confronted with the fact you have to do maintenance on your body.
So be it. Do it. We Q3Wers are going to leave good-looking corpses, no?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hate salt and chicken skin. I'm healthy :up:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 06:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bit too brown to protect us from terrorism, aren't ya?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wtf is a 150 blood pressure? bordeline is 120-139 over 80-89...

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
wtf is a 150 blood pressure? bordeline is 120-139 over 80-89...

Wrong

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicin ... essure.htm

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

according to that chart I'm correct...thx...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
... added table salt...

what kind of moron adds table salt?..rofl...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 03:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drum, when your gut sticks out farther than your nose, you know you've got a problem...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 04:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
DRuM wrote:
... added table salt...

what kind of moron adds table salt?..rofl...

Sorry to say drum, but I agree with this. Are you a smoker? Most food (unless you're eating a raw food diet) has shit loads of salt in it already. Just throw your salt shaker in the fuckin' can. Also, drink a tall glass of water with every meal to help with digestion and to flush out impurities in your food. Strange (or boring) as it may sound, try to compare the way modern people eat compared to the way we "should" eat. 50,000 years ago, fruit was a god-send. Added sugar was nowhere. Likely the same with salt. Same goes for processed foods. If you cut out salt and sugar, you will find that natural, raw foods will begin to taste sweet or salty on their own. Call me a weirdo, but when I eat an apple, I get a pretty big sugar rush for about half an hour.

Also, this doesn't really have much to do with high blood pressure but... make sure you chew your god damn food. Digestion occurs due to the HCL in your stomach breaking food down into more manageable chunks for your intestines. Chemistry teaches us that increased surface area increases the effective rate of a chemical reaction (HCL vs. fats, proteins, etc.), and the way to increase the surface area of your food is to pulverize it into mush with your teeth. Too many people inhale their fuckin' food then wonder why they feel like a bag of shit. Eat slow, chew that shit like a champ, and wash it down with a fuck ton of water. And fuck the salt. Pepper is cool though :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 04:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

salt preference is... a preference. I also like the idea of not tampering with prepared food, but sometimes the chef is a moron.

and yeah, my brother shallows his food like an moron and he always gets stomach aches. Now, I just laugh at him, since simply telling him not to eat like a stray dog isn't doing the trick.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
salt preference is... a preference. I also like the idea of not tampering with prepared food, but sometimes the chef is a moron.

Sure, but too many people shake salt on their food until it looks like it's frosted. :offended: I use salt when I'm cooking, that's it.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 05:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recently started cooking with steam. Mucho flavour, absolutely no salt necessary. Even steamed potatoes taste well. If you get one of those specially designed pans with a few steamtrays you can even do it all on one pan. Less shit to clean up.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 06:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Learn to cook your own food from scratch (no more processed/fast foods).
  2. Uses more spices and herbs to flavour your food.
  3. You get used to less salt and you are better able to distinguish other flavours.
  4. Recommended daily intake of salt/sodium is 1 teaspoon per day.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
Recently started cooking with steam. Mucho flavour, absolutely no salt necessary. Even steamed potatoes taste well. If you get one of those specially designed pans with a few steamtrays you can even do it all on one pan. Less shit to clean up.

I've been meaning to buy a set of those bamboo basket things for ages... you can cook delicious thingies with steam & it's indeed very healthy. Shall look for em during the weekend :up:

And what mrd said; there's already way too much salt in literally everything - it should really be avoided unless you're cooking natural, unprocessed food from scratch. Same thing with sugar.

I sometimes find it damn hard to summon the will to go out of my way to buy fresh food every day and still have the energy to spend half an hour putting a decent meal together, if there wasn't a Turkish supermarket with fresh everything near my work i don't know if i'd keep it up. But man it does pay off, everything tastes loads better and it's actually a lot cheaper than the shit at a regular supermarket. I do cheat now and then and eat something godawful, but these days i feel like a guilty, unhappy swine afterwards :)

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Survivor wrote:

I've been meaning to buy a set of those bamboo basket things for ages... you can cook delicious thingies with steam & it's indeed very healthy. Shall look for em during the weekend :up:

And what mrd said; there's already way too much salt in literally everything - it should really be avoided unless you're cooking natural, unprocessed food from scratch. Same thing with sugar.

I sometimes find it damn hard to summon the will to go out of my way to buy fresh food every day and still have the energy to spend half an hour putting a decent meal together, if there wasn't a Turkish supermarket with fresh everything near my work i don't know if i'd keep it up. But man it does pay off, everything tastes loads better and it's actually a lot cheaper than the shit at a regular supermarket. I do cheat now and then and eat something godawful, but these days i feel like a guilty, unhappy swine afterwards :)

If you're not going the bamboo route ikea has easy stuff:

As for cooking; I find ingredient based cooking an ideal waste of time. It usually takes me an hour or perhaps 2 to fully prepare a meal, but in the end this also means you're definitely hungry, and it'll taste even more awesome. I usually have lots of basics in store like the herbs and spices, but also stuff which is used up quickly anyway like cucumbers, tomatoes and paprikas. A walk through the store then only necesitates buying real fresh stuff like lettuce, meat or specific fruit.
It also allows some variety with spur of the moment purchases. I know some friends who have made a routine of cooking which is very predictable that you'll actually know exactly what's in their shopping basket if you encounter them at the store.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 06:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
mrd wrote:
Sure, but too many people shake salt on their food until it looks like it's frosted.

guilty :toothy:

oh noes, i might die before bladder control loss

yes, but not before you start suffering from high blood pressure, failing kidneys, dehydration, digestive problems and osteoporosis

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he's welsh, he can't help it

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:

I use salt when I'm cooking, that's it.

That's pretty much all I do tbh. I pour some salt into water when I'm boiling pasta or potatoes or any veg. The only other thing I do is a pinch of salt in the palm of my hand to sprinkle on baked potatoes.
Still, I'm going to cut out the salt in the water. All other salt is already in a lot of food I buy, so yeah, I need to be more selective on what I'm buying and cooking. I eat some healthy'ish meals, like
for example, grilled chicken with boiled potatoes and boiled fresh veg (swede, cabbage, cauliflower, etc), but I also tend to eat a fair bit of oven chips and breadcrumb coated things like chicken kievs or escalopes, or worse still, sausages. I guess it's a case of everything in moderation, but I do need to reduce a lot of the crap. Cakes, biscuits, chocolate for starters, had way too much of that shit the last few months. I am a sucker for milky bars and maltesers though :(

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pouring salt in to your pasta water is about as moronic as u could get...die dumbo...DIE!...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
mrd wrote:

I use salt when I'm cooking, that's it.

That's pretty much all I do tbh. I pour some salt into water when I'm boiling pasta or potatoes or any veg. The only other thing I do is a pinch of salt in the palm of my hand to sprinkle on baked potatoes.
Still, I'm going to cut out the salt in the water. All other salt is already in a lot of food I buy, so yeah, I need to be more selective on what I'm buying and cooking. I eat some healthy'ish meals, like
for example, grilled chicken with boiled potatoes and boiled fresh veg (swede, cabbage, cauliflower, etc), but I also tend to eat a fair bit of oven chips and breadcrumb coated things like chicken kievs or escalopes, or worse still, sausages. I guess it's a case of everything in moderation, but I do need to reduce a lot of the crap. Cakes, biscuits, chocolate for starters, had way too much of that shit the last few months. I am a sucker for milky bars and maltesers though :(

just cut out added salt period.

i do use salt, but not much, only for pasta/potatoes, (which i don't eat often) i don't eat chips.

i also stopped using sugar about 10 years ago, don't eat sweets (maybe 1 a month or not at all)

your body will just get used to it

also excersize, drink water alot.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

just cut out added salt period.

i do use salt, but not much, only for pasta/potatoes, (which i don't eat often) i don't eat chips.

i also stopped using sugar about 10 years ago, don't eat sweets (maybe 1 a month or not at all)

your body will just get used to it

also excersize, drink water alot.

Yep. But don't you think some food can be a bit bland without salt? Sugary foods I definitely need to cut down. I don't add sugar to much if anything these days. I have a bowl of porridge
most mornings which I always have a with a spoonful of honey and a handful of dried apricots. I don't really know how healthy porridge is, but it gives me fuel to start the day. Also, to my advantage, I don't do alcohol.
I'm not against drinking it, but I can't remember the last time I had a beer or a shot. But alcohol would be pretty bad for blood pressure or cholestrol. I do however still smoke rollups.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you want salty shit just buy some fries from MC once a month, i stopped buying from fast food rests, only a slice of pizza once in 2-3 months if not more.

read this

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
if you want salty shit just buy some fries from MC once a month, i stopped buying from fast food rests, only a slice of pizza once in 2-3 months if not more.

read this

Porridge:
"It is also commonly eaten by athletes in training"

Can't be bad then. I've been doing porridge, honey and apricots for years now.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can eat it, my uncle eats it every day he's almost 70 and healthy.

just stop using salt/eating junk food and u'll get used to it.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
I don't do alcohol....I do however still smoke rollups.

moderate alcohol - reduces risk of heart disease
smoking - increases risk of heart disease

ffs DRuM sort your shit out

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 12:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe it's because of how hard your heart has to work to be able to pump blood into your massive nose.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 01:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
DRuM wrote:
I don't do alcohol....I do however still smoke rollups.

moderate alcohol - reduces risk of heart disease
smoking - increases risk of heart disease

ffs DRuM sort your shit out

and get a nose job :p

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

had a baseline cholesterol test, yet? Also, there are good and bad cholesterols so make sure you're given a proper debriefing. And not geoff-style, keep the butt doctor out of this.

I don't know how much I buy the prehypertension shit... for years now I've been high 150's and shit, and I still rode a 100 mile mountain bike race in fairly decent time last year, 3 foot races, 5k 10k and planning a half marathon this year, still bench more than Geoff (limp wrists make for bad leverage bro, sorry).

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 01:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
he's welsh, he can't help it

No he ain't :offended:
Faux Welsh at best

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

running marathons is unhealthy...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.