Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        I am not happy with this carpet installation. Your thoughts?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 

Would you be happy with this carpet install?
Yes  13%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but there's a difference in the carpet?  0%  [ 0 ]
No  27%  [ 6 ]
No, the join/difference in the carpet is too much to live with  40%  [ 9 ]
Seek expert opinion  4%  [ 1 ]
Seek legal advice  9%  [ 2 ]
No comment  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22
Topic Starter Topic: I am not happy with this carpet installation. Your thoughts?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-29-2012 10:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Carpets were recently replaced under insurance and I am having difficulty in the company seeing there is a problem :smirk:

To me it is obvious. I value your opinion so what do you think?
Use the magnify option and you see it as it is :up:

Image++++++Image++++++Image

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-29-2012 10:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd have thought that by your ripe old age you'd know the right people to get the job done properly. You should have asked about to make sure you got people who are good at it to do it. I hope you get it resolved :) :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-29-2012 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks and so true of course DTS.

If I had picked the business to do the work I'd have some clout, IE not pay until satisfied sort of deal but this is a little different, this company was chosen by the insurance company :dork: and in their defense they (insurance co haven't seen the finished job (yet)...

I have just compiled and email to the insurance company with the same photos.
Just tell me it is an obvious problem (as you have :) ) and I'll be happy ..

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 12:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ohhh, you might want to get a better insurance company... :paranoid:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 02:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol that's shit...

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well I could handle the join in the doorway, but the join in front of the sofa is fucking lollable.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 02:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think you should execute every last motherfucking one of them for this crime against interior decor

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 02:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: ^

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They'll probably end up with excuses like how it'll disappear over time so you shouldn't worry about it.
They always try to get away with shit like that.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did they forget tO install pad? Did u get a shit pad or upgrade? Looks like u both fucked up...

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 05:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see cheap carpet with shitty, visible seams. Time to grab yer shotgun.

Say ello to my l'il frien'
Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

agreed. Shitty carpet coupled with a shitty installation.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shitty as shit

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quite shit.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And the poll should be changed:

[A] Grow a pair and force these cunts to do a decent job
[B] Shrivel and whine on Q3W, while you fucking know you should go with option [A]

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mik0rs wrote:
well I could handle the join in the doorway, but the join in front of the sofa is fucking lollable.

^ This. What did they use, 2 foot wide rolls of carpet? They might as well try carpeting your floors with streamers. Looks like your insurance company is trying to hire the cheapest contractors with the cheapest grade carpets to try to pull a fast one one you. You might want to check to make sure these guys didn't carpet over your cat in some corner of the house.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
mik0rs wrote:

^ This. What did they use, 2 foot wide rolls of carpet? They might as well try carpeting your floors with streamers. Looks like your insurance company is trying to hire the cheapest contractors with the cheapest grade carpets to try to pull a fast one one you. You might want to check to make sure these guys didn't carpet over your cat in some corner of the house.

lol, your right though, its been a while but I thought you only needed joins if it was over 12-15 foot wide ?, they laid it the wrong way ?... it looks like someone just rolled a piece of wallpaper under your sofa lol

Id be going through the roof tbh, have them fix that then n all

also, cream carpet ?, your sposed to be wise, man :(

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This thread screams POOR PPL...lol...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

being poor relative numb nuts, if your as posh as you say your sucking top trump ass

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

even i don't know what that means, and i can usually understand welsh people

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gissa cwtch boyo

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea looks shit

welcome to my world tho

now that my little ones are bigger i'm ready to move to hard surface floors

my wife has been telling me to find a hardwood installer

but i am so fucking sick of these type of services/installers

i do not like paying to be turned into a complainer, i fucking hate that.

so i just lalala ignore everything! lol

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hardwood floors are actually quite easy to install yourself. As with most things around the house, don't trust contractors when you can do it yourself.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks all for the opinions. Appreciated :up:
Seems I am correct in my beliefs.

Eraser wrote:
They'll probably end up with excuses like how it'll disappear over time so you shouldn't worry about it.

Yes they tried that on the install day a month/6 weeks ago.
They said the join would settle down and disappear :rolleyes:
I said I don't think so (may age and experience the better of them) but agreed their boss attend in a month. I couldn't wait and had them back in a week.

Two install experts have attended thus far and say it is technically installed correctly*.

:arrow: Plan B:
Shrivel and whine on Q3W...
Thought you knew me by now :tear:
I intend to chase this to the ends of the Earth for justice.

:arrow: losCHUNK:
What's wrong with cream carpet?
It is expensive New Zealand wool. Very nice and soft to walk on.
My beef is the two different textures/densities.

...you only needed joins if it was over 12-15 foot wide ?, they laid it the wrong way ?

Yes wrong way was my immediate though but they have demonstrated they are both laid in the same direction. I just see different density carpet?

The photos don't do the room size justice and I thought large today by comparison to most others I have seen in apartments.
Hang on, just measured the room and fyi and it is 4m x 7.5m (13.2 feet x 24.7 feet)
So the room being wider/longer than the carpet width, I expect a join somewhere.

In all previous carpet installs they have never been visible and I always choose a wool berber carpet

*The manufacturer is attending soon and I should wait to see what they say.

At the end of the day I was looking for opinion across the world, hence Q3W, so thanks again. I am not alone :D

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-30-2012 04:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't be happy with it. Especially if this is a home you plan on living in for a long time. But it really wouldn't bother me that much when it comes down to it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-01-2012 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is truly awful.

What is the material?

And did it look better before? Got pics?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-01-2012 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is just terrible

i haven't been this moved by a thread since gramps announced the death of his dad

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-01-2012 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Thanks all for the opinions. Appreciated :up:
Seems I am correct in my beliefs.

Eraser wrote:

Yes they tried that on the install day a month/6 weeks ago.
They said the join would settle down and disappear :rolleyes:
I said I don't think so (may age and experience the better of them) but agreed their boss attend in a month. I couldn't wait and had them back in a week.

Two install experts have attended thus far and say it is technically installed correctly*.

:arrow: Plan B:
Shrivel and whine on Q3W...
Thought you knew me by now :tear:
I intend to chase this to the ends of the Earth for justice.

:arrow: losCHUNK:
What's wrong with cream carpet?
It is expensive New Zealand wool. Very nice and soft to walk on.
My beef is the two different textures/densities.

...you only needed joins if it was over 12-15 foot wide ?, they laid it the wrong way ?

Yes wrong way was my immediate though but they have demonstrated they are both laid in the same direction. I just see different density carpet?

The photos don't do the room size justice and I thought large today by comparison to most others I have seen in apartments.
Hang on, just measured the room and fyi and it is 4m x 7.5m (13.2 feet x 24.7 feet)
So the room being wider/longer than the carpet width, I expect a join somewhere.

Measure the width from the wall to the join ?, that may give you the width of the roll's theyre using, Ive not seen anything under 12 foot wide and your laughing if its bigger, unless its offcuts, but that would be a question to ask the guy whos coming to see it, just ask him the width of the roll's theyre using :D

If your rooms width is the same size as the roll though (for arguements sake 13 foot give or take 2 inches), then I wouldve thought the simple thing would be to lay it width ways with the room and try to make up 2 inches, probaly with another longer join, but itll only be 2 inches from the skirting board / side wall and itd probaly be best to do it opposite the wall to your doorway... I dont think id say the same if it was a 12 foot roll because I really dunno what a join 1 foot from a wall for 24 foot will look like :/

also, if the join is only, say, 3 foot from the wall length ways (3 foot - 24 foot) then theres no way that would be a 21 foot wide roll, i doubt very much theyd wrap a roll up with less than 24 foot on it so I guess that would be a join onto a new roll, in which case tell them to pull it up and unpack a new roll.

either way, even if the roll is only 10 foot wide (which is what it looks like) I dont 'think' the join will go away, itll get worse if anything 'imo' because the piles of the carpet will sperate in opposite directions as it pads down, if hes trying to pass that off as a 'technically done job' id be asking for a refund and go elsewhere for shoddy workmanship, ive had joins in the carpet that have been seemless but appeared gradually over a long time (ive considered that to be good work) and they should really be sticking them in places that arent used or cant see.... not right in front of a well lit doorway

thats the kind of shit id be mentioning anyway

and cream carpet is an absolute cunt to keep clean, noob

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-01-2012 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

honestly, you deserve it for choosing carpet in the first place.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-01-2012 09:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
honestly, you deserve it for choosing carpet in the first place.

How so?
Expensive imported wool berber :confused:
What would you have Tsakali?

The replacement specified was 'like for like' in the insurance policy and that's what we expected (wanted) and got (without these terrible obvious joints where different carpet IMO meets together).

TruthfulLiar wrote:
That is truly awful.
What is the material?
And did it look better before? Got pics?

Yes it is, as above, & yes as above :)

Pics before? Will look......

:arrow: losCHUNK
Thanks for the info..

"Measure the width from the wall to the join ?"
10'6" and then near enough to 3'

I believe they used 12' wide rolls. Like I said, I expect a join but I have never been able to see them before on any carpet installs I've had done.

"....and cream carpet is an absolute cunt to keep clean, noob"

I am the cleanest bastard you will ever know. You could eat your dinner off my hard floors, my toilet seat too if you like. Everyone who visits always comments on the cleanliness of our abode and I am rather proud of that :D

Look, some things I will give away here that point you to the type of anally clean person I am
1 I have been known to polish the dipstick of my cars, and not the bit visible in the engine bay
2. I used to apply expensive boot polish to my car tyres
3. I still spit polish my work shoes regularly
4. I metal polish my kitchen sink as required to give it that 'new' look

See what I have to live with? A compulsive and obsessive, punctual old fart. Hang on, I have always been that way :smirk: :D

seremtan wrote:
this is just terrible

i haven't been this moved by a thread since gramps announced the death of his dad

Even I saw merit in this response :tear: :D

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-07-2012 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah, well 'like for like' so I won't hold it against you...but since you asked, I would have hard wood floors with well placed rugs where needed....if needed.
the wood, is comfortable enough on bare feet, and warmer than a cold concrete or tile floor in case you're flooring a bedroom or something like that. Carpets get infested with all kinds of shit and unwanted smells.... it's a bitch to clean if you spill something, and it doesn't last as long as pretty much any other flooring option put there.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-07-2012 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and then you get to polish the hardwod floor, clearly an added bonus

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-07-2012 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No problem Tsakali. Yes like for like and we have always had carpet :smirk: but look forward to a change soon*.
Looking forward too to some large rugs :D

*The investment unit we purchased about 15 months ago with a view to retirement and mentioned here (Q3W) has nice hard floors, large tiles and I am looking forward to less maintenance (vacuuming) as there is only carpet in the bedrooms.

Interestingly we viewed some local real estate yesterday, a unit like ours and local, to keep abreast of the market state and prices and noticed the state of the floor there. It was advertised as bamboo but appeared rather dark (?) and had obvious scratches from moving furniture etc. Fair wear & tear I suppose.

We have never had a problem with as you mention" ...carpets get infested with all kinds of shit and unwanted smells.... it's a bitch to clean if you spill something.." save those safety shoes disintegrating* under my feet early that morning starting this insurance replacement.

Did I mention how this story started?
*Early one morning in the near dark I put on an old pair of safety shoes, had them for 15 or so years. I took a few steps and thought "....this floor is sticky under foot? Hang on, I'm om carpet (confused)...".... I turned around to see black foot (shoe) prints :eek: :eek: from the bedroom into the lounge area :tear:
Short is carpet cleaner came and could only do the affected area leaving a whitish patch. He came back after a week and did the whole home but there was still this white area. Insurance assessor came out and determined carpet needed replacing en total.

Oh, and by way of update, the insurance company assessor came out the other day to view this new job and (not giving too much away) said it needed rectifying, indeed he couldn't live with it :up:
We are seeing the carpet manufacturer this week so I'll update available.

:arrow: TruthfulLiar: Polishing would make it slippery wouldn't it :?: and yes :olo: :olo:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-07-2012 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it would, but oh god does it feel good

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-09-2012 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Update.

The insurance company assessor revisited yesterday and the representative from the carpet manufacturer moments later.

Short is insurance company remains on the case and the representative from the carpet manufacturer said he could not see the difference in the carpet pieces but agreed there was a join? He added the 'pieces' were off the same roll? I have my doubts!
I see the 'join' because of two different textures/densities (perhaps colour) in the pieces :mad:

Needless to say I wasn't impressed with the manufacturer.
Yes, I know he's dong his job, but blind Freddy can see the difference >:(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.