Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        students grow rare squash from seeds 800 years old!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: students grow rare squash from seeds 800 years old!

plained
plained
PostPosted: 09-29-2015 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that is a long time those seed were waiting ey!

http://aptn.ca/news/2015/09/28/winnipeg ... years-old/

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 09-29-2015 07:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fucking cool. i'd love to grow that.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i know ey me too

now they have seeds fron the new freash ones.

i wonder what exactly is the diff between this squash and modern squashes? nutritionally and all that i mean.

that sound like a silly question hehe

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not at all, i wondered about it's nutritional properties too.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hopefully there will be some published follow up about that question!

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THAT depends on the soil!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-30-2015 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Partially. It also depends on how the plant utilizes the soil.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wonder how those seeds were stored?

in clay? or cloth or something?

either way they did a good job ey!

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

interestingly enough, most fruits and vegetables you regularly see in the market these days, are the cream of the crop of what nature had to offer. they have been through a somewhat of an unnatural selection if you will, by man kind. as example, most apples in the wild were relatively inedible. the ones you now buy at the store are selected and cultivated to bring u only the most juiciest, tastiest and appealing of the bunch.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my fav apples used to be braburns from new zealand.

havnt had a decent one in like 15 years :(

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
interestingly enough, most fruits and vegetables you regularly see in the market these days, are the cream of the crop of what nature had to offer. they have been through a somewhat of an unnatural selection if you will, by man kind. as example, most apples in the wild were relatively inedible. the ones you now buy at the store are selected and cultivated to bring u only the most juiciest, tastiest and appealing of the bunch.

I'm reminded of the crabapple tree in my grandparents' back yard. As a kid, sometimes I would find one that didn't have worm holes all over and I'd take a bite. Talk about bitter. :olo:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and by bitter you mean sour/tangy?

that tang is the best for pies and apple crunch and all that.

i find overly sweet foods lack depth of flavor.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.