Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 10:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like Another Earth, which started out interesting but in the end the whole second Earth thing was just a huge deux ex machina.
lame-o

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Guard

Quite good, actually lolled a lot.
Brendan Gleeson is excellent as the down to earth Irish cop.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-14-2012 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Take Shelter 8/10

Man in rural somewhere USA sees visions of a terrible storm that rains a yellow, muddy rain that makes his beloved ones go crazy with bloodlust, so he decides to build a shelter for his family. One of those is he slowly going mental or is it for reals flicks, but done well.

Also went a bit mental with the annual cult film festival and ended up spending too much for a load of tickets for next week. I shall be seeing:

Madame X, Indonesian movie about a transvestite team of superheroes kicking the shit out of intolerant morons

The Raid, another Indonesian movie, this one about a SWAT team fighting a bunch of dopefiends in a building or something, supposed to be really good (and extremely violent)

Juan de los Muertos, first Cuban zombie movie ever! \0/

and Iron Sky and a bunch of other stuff too, yays.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-14-2012 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also rated "Take Shelter" 8/10 earlier in this thread.

Not so sure about your other exotic offerings, but I'll give them a try.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sherlock holmes 2: the something of something - 3/10
boring and not very sherlock holmesy. this version of holmes won't really start making sense until there's an animated series.

john carter - 1/10
giving it a slightly higher score than DB because i closed the window about halfway through, it's possible that it got a lot worse.

rolling thunder - 8/10
great revenge flick with a lot more flesh on its bones than any other hollywood movie in the same genre.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
The Guard

Quite good, actually lolled a lot.
Brendan Gleeson is excellent as the down to earth Irish cop.

That was an excellent movie.

He was like a grumpy Ronnie Barker in some way?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 12:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iron Sky 7/10

Very funny :)
It's amazing what they did with what little budget they had, the effects are all properly done and there's some very well jokes. Would have been slightly better if they'd done some pre-story so to speak, maybe some scenes of a V2 rocket with a crazy scientist and the love child of Eva Braun and Adolf aboard escaping earth at the end of the war or someshit. Ah well, can't have it all.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 01:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the cinemas to show it here. Your approval fills me with confidence tho \o/

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 02:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I'm waiting for the cinemas to show it here. Your approval fills me with confidence tho \o/

\0/
There was an interview with one of the producers before it started; he said that Iron Sky had some trouble in several European countries appearing in cinema's, apparently it runs in about half of the countries and the other half is waiting to see what it does before they take the chance. Only reason i got to see it in the cinema was because of the film festival, it's not in Dutch theaters yet nor is there any indication it ever will be. That makes me sad :(

He also said that strangely enough it's a modest hit in Germany at the moment, don't quite know what to make of that... :smirk:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sherlock Holmes 2:Whatever The Subtitle Is = 3/10 - This "reimagining" of the franchise is simply fucking horrible. They don't even remotely feel like Sherlock Holmes movies but instead more like an episode of the A-Team. Seriously....Micheal Bay could NOT do any worse. Fuck you Hollywood for ruining yet another IP.

Mission Impossible 4:Whatever The Subtitle Is = 6/10 - This is easily the best of the current "Mission Impossible" films with Tom Cruise. It's still fucking retarded, but better than the earlier shit.

The Grey = 7/10 - A good old fashioned horror/thriller. Points taken off for being so utterly predictable, though.

Underworld Awakening = 3/10 - Kate Beckinsale once again in a tight black outfit and she looks just as good today as she did in the first movie a decade ago. Decent action and production values but overall this franchise has been milked for all it's worth and has nothing left to offer. Another annoying thing about this franchise is that every single film ends in a cliffhanger. Please stop making these movies. Kthnx.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Sherlock Holmes 2:Whatever The Subtitle Is = 3/10 - This "reimagining" of the franchise is simply fucking horrible. They don't even remotely feel like Sherlock Holmes movies but instead more like an episode of the A-Team. Seriously....Micheal Bay could NOT do any worse. Fuck you Hollywood for ruining yet another IP.

Mission Impossible 4:Whatever The Subtitle Is = 6/10 - This is easily the best of the current "Mission Impossible" films with Tom Cruise. It's still fucking retarded, but better than the earlier shit.

The Grey = 7/10 - A good old fashioned horror/thriller. Points taken off for being so utterly predictable, though.

Underworld Awakening = 3/10 - Kate Beckinsale once again in a tight black outfit and she looks just as good today as she did in the first movie a decade ago. Decent action and production values but overall this franchise has been milked for all it's worth and has nothing left to offer. Another annoying thing about this franchise is that every single film ends in a cliffhanger. Please stop making these movies. Kthnx.

Pretty sure you have your Mission Impossible and Holmes numbers mixed up.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure you like horrible movies.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 08:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty sure fuck u...

MI showed spoiler clips from throughout the movie in the stupidly long intro...who does that? The movie was unoriginal and boring. Holmes on the other hand...even if you didn't like him having a superhuman 6th sense, at least it was somewhat original and well executed with all the time lapse jumping bullshit.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Both movies sucked. One sucked more than the other.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 08:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apology accepted.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem with Sherlock Holmes is that Downey doesn't play the character Sherlock Holmes (anymore than he is a black dude). Instead, he's some other Victorian England detective with a keen eye and an action hero, the lovechild between Holmes and Rambo. So while it might be enjoyable as a movie, it's not really Sherlock Holmes. I shudder to think of a whole generation of people will never read the books and will think of Holmes as an action hero who somersaults out windows and runs around London with explosions chasing his heels.

I consider the same problem with the James Bond reboot. The old series were about off-the-wall gadgets and menacing villians. The new one might as well be Jason Bourne. It's great to watch, but it isn't the classic James Bond and that kind of damages the franchise on some level. The new series is as far serious from the intended character as Austin Powers is on the opposite end of the scale.

TL;DR: If you're going to change 90% of the lead character, you might as well change the name of the movie.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 04-21-2012 08:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannah was better (and much, MUCH weirder than I expected it to be.

Morning Glory - 5/10 Chick flick that my wife picked out. I have to admit, I laughed my ass off. They didn't make too much of the romantic aspect, so it was tolerable in that regard. Plus, Rachel McAdams has an awesome, AWESOME ass.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-21-2012 07:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hanna was alright, ending was pretty dog poo though. and everyone that came around telling me "it's basically LEON 2!!!" after watching it was a massive twat.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-23-2012 03:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Grey 5/10
I couldn't get over the cheap ludicrously fake growl sound effects of the wolves and the obvious studio snow. Ended up closing the window 3/4th of the film because i couldn't be arsed unsuccesfully trying to suspend my disbelief anymore. Overall it seemed watchable (but annoyingly predictable) to be honest, just wasn't in the mood for it i think.

Children who chase lost voices from deep below 4/10
Anime about a school girl traveling to the underworld to save someone from death eternal or something. The missus insisted on seeing it because she's slightly crazy about the whole japenese cartoon thing, but i've only ever seen two or three of em that didn't bore me to tears. Giving it a 4 because i fell asleep near the end, which was easily the best part of the movie.

The Raven 6/10
Decent enough flick about Edgar Allen Poe who finds himself a suspect when someone starts murdering people in the ways of his horror stories. It's a damn shame they end up making him less of a suspect and more of an action hero halfway, which ruins the suspense. What also helps ruining the suspense was several completely out of place shots, for instance a slow motion matrix style shot of a bullet being fired from a gun, which just violently tears the viewer out of the 19th century world they so carefully built up and makes you go 'wtf'. I also had issues with the plot, which could have been so much better. Still, not bad.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 04-23-2012 05:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
\
Robocop - Still a classic after all these years. Sure, some of the tech hasn't aged well (the biggest thing that sticks out in Eighties Sci Fi being CRT monitors), but the Robocop suit itself is a masterpiece of Sci Fi cinema design, and the movie is still wonderfully subversive. Someone should start giving Verhoeven massive amounts of money to make Sci FI again.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

plained
plained
PostPosted: 04-24-2012 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i re-spec'ed the Sabata trilogy

sssooooo awesome!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-24-2012 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got to love spaghetti westerns and Lee Van Cleef because he does (did *) it so well :up:

wiki here

* I didn’t realise we was dead though :smirk: :tear:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-24-2012 10:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Juan de los Muertos 10/10

Did you like Sean of the Dead? Did you? Did you really? The first Cuban zombie movie ever is loosely based on that, but beats the shit out of it on every level. And then some. It is absolutely hysterical, funniest movie i've seen in ages... brilliant. Go see :arrow:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-24-2012 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I sat an watched some TV last night for a change as there was what, I believed to be and interesting telemovie on: It was called Beaconsfield.

Now for those not familiar with the title/name, here is the wiki right here

The movie details the extraordinary events of 2 gold miners trapped underground for 14 days after surviving a collapse that killed a workmate Larry Knight.

Beaconsfield is a little mining community in the north of Tasmania, the island state of Australia to the south of the continent.

google map

Doubt if you people will get to view but if you see it in passing, grab it. 9/10

click

click

click

plained
plained
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Got to love spaghetti westerns and Lee Van Cleef because he does (did *) it so well :up:

wiki here

* I didn’t realise we was dead though :smirk: :tear:

yea Lee was just plain great he was

if anybody is going to spec them, i suggest doing so out of order

first the two Lee Van Cleef ones , then the Yul one

my mind likes the that way flow better

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers Assemble - 10/10

Fucking brilliant

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 05:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No Country for Old Men 8/10

Great. The Coen bros do good work...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Avengers Assemble - 10/10

Fucking brilliant

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's true.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, that's completely unexpected. Good for them :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 09:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was completely unexpected. Genuinely great action film that you can happily nerd out over. Relentless with the action and it had lots of Scarlett Johanson in a cat suit

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 09:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Paranormal Stupidity 3 - Shit/Fuck You

Not scary, not entertaining, not engaging, nothing good about this "movie" at all, in any way. Do not waste your time, because you can't get it back.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-30-2012 11:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-01-2012 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
Paranormal Stupidity 3 - Shit/Fuck You

Not scary, not entertaining, not engaging, nothing good about this "movie" at all, in any way. Do not waste your time, because you can't get it back.

Dude...I've been telling anyone who'll listen since Paranormal Shitivity 1 to avoid these turds at all cost.
The only theory I have that somewhat explains the unbelievable popularity of this series of turds is that the human race is actually brain dead from birth.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-01-2012 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Madam X 6/10

Incomprehensible movie about an indonesian transvestite superhero that kicks the shit out of an intolerant muslim militia. It's mostly shit, but there are a few little jokes that sort of make up for having to sit through it. It's extra funny for Dutch people that one of the main characters speaks indonesian/dutch, he'll go 'ratsumpuplikikutiwonwong - behalve vrrrijdag en zaterrrdag' which is probably the funniest element in the whole thing. Giving it an extra point for that, and also an extra point for it being a rather gutsy movie for a country that is increasingly strict in it's Islam stuffs.

I also had a little chat with Madam X, who made a personal appearance on the festival dressed in the leather catladyboy outfit her character wears in the film... she's a lovely 'lady' and pretty damn funny :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.